Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #3556
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMomma

Sorry to hear that. I also didn't know they did mug refills at the bars. I thought it was just supposed to be at Cooks?
Unfortunately that just started last week. Expect longer waits at the pool bar for your alcoholic beverages. You will be sharing the line with the free mug refills.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #3557
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
Unfortunately that just started last week. Expect longer waits at the pool bar for your alcoholic beverages. You will be sharing the line with the free mug refills.
too bad they don't add a separate "self Serve" section for refills outside near the bar???
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal 11/14 - AoA 12/14 - Disney Soccer Showcase
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie:cat
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #3558
HappyMomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2of2 View Post
Good gravy. Can nothing remain somewhat sanitary??? UGH!!!! I wish they'd do away with the mugs. Also, the bar is the ONE place in Disney for the adults, suppose the kids will be sitting at the bar now, grubby, filthy mugs in hand.

When we were there last week some deviant children were stealing Dole Whip from the machine with their mugs. Boy and a girl in their mid/early teens.

I'm def going to complain, and loudly, about this one.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #3559
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMomma View Post
Oh bummer. I bought two of the green resort Poly mugs as souvenirs and put them in the dishwasher. The decals are peeled off!!!!! I don't remember a sticker saying they weren't dishwasher safe. I'm so sad. Memories and 30.00 down the drain I guess.
Same thing happened to me with an AKL mug .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalla View Post
too bad they don't add a separate "self Serve" section for refills outside near the bar???
That would be a good idea. That's one thing I don't like about BWI. We haven't stayed there, but from what I understand, there is no self serve for mug refills......you go to the bakery (or somewhere) and get your drink in a paper cup and then transfer it to your mug. Depending on the time of day, you might find yourself standing in line for awhile .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 06-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #3560
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314

Alexsandra I have read a few DISers post that the noise from the Luau was loud and disturbing when they stayed in Fiji but I think the music would add to the atmosphere, in fact I have requested Fiji, patio, Luau Cove side. I am not going till November at which time the VGF construction will be complete since the opening is in Oct. My concern now is the start of Poly DVC at the SOA site since Tikiman reported that the last Luau Shows might be Oct 1

If that construction starts I will be changeing my requests.

Dominion The monorail issue concerns me a lot as I use an ECV and if the Monorail is down I will have to deal with the buses.
We've only stayed in Fiji, marina side, and the noise from the luau has never bothered us, but then again we were never in our room before 10 pm.
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #3561
DznyCrzy11

Quote:
Oh bummer. I bought two of the green resort Poly mugs as souvenirs and put them in the dishwasher. The decals are peeled off!!!!! I don't remember a sticker saying they weren't dishwasher safe. I'm so sad. Memories and 30.00 down the drain I guess.
Ugh, that's not good!!! If I do decide to get one I'll have to remember to hand wash it!!!
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

Old 06-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #3562
HappyMomma
Mouseketeer

Update on the green coffee mug debacle. I spoke to c/s for Disney merchandise and they are sending me two new mugs! Just had to send them a pic. Yipppeeee! Now my husband won't be killing me for making him buy them!

Old 06-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #3563
DznyCrzy11

Quote:
Update on the green coffee mug debacle. I spoke to c/s for Disney merchandise and they are sending me two new mugs! Just had to send them a pic. Yipppeeee! Now my husband won't be killing me for making him buy them!

Now that's what I call great customer service!!!!

Ok, so I had thought of switching our reservation from Poly to BC, but I figured since this will probably be our last time to stay there before the DVC starts we'll just stay with the Poly. Now I'm glad we decided to stay with it and can't wait to be there again!!!

Old 06-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #3564
yolie912
DIS Veteran

How does the green coffee mugs look?
Old 06-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #3565
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
Hello all!! It has been too long since I've posted but you know how that goes. I stayed at the Polynesian May 25 - 29 in a brand new Tokelau room. We were originally put in Samoa 2nd floor and while the room was lovely, we really wanted a balcony or patio. When I checked in, they said Tokelau was still closed but when we called from the Samoa room to ask for a room with a balcony or patio, the cast member said that 6 rooms had JUST opened up in Tokelau!! It was room 2903 - 2nd floor, pool side. Not only were we happy to get the refurbished room and be the first to use it, we used the balcony a lot and we did notice a difference with the extra few feet of space in the larger Tokelau rooms. It was my 6th stay at the Polynesian since 2007 and in Tokelau but the first time I stayed on the 2nd floor or the pool side. So here's some feedback:

Room:
The room itself had new carpet, bedding, and a fresh coat of paint but everything else was the same including the chair rail, paintings, tv, dressers, chairs, etc. While the photos show all that mint green, it really was soothing and nice with very little difference from what the rooms looked like before - just fresher and updated. I enjoyed the changes and they still reminded me of the Poly I love!! I did not take any photos of the room (other than with us and lots of mess and stuff in it which I am not going to post) but Tikiman has good photos on his site that are accurate.

Bathroom:
This is where I noticed the changes the most. My overall impression was that I LOVED it!!!! But there are definite issues that should be resolved. Why did I love it? NO peeling paint or mold or squeaky doors along with an increase in lighting due to lighter colors and more lighting around the mirrors. But as many of you know, they went from one sink to two sinks in Tokelau. I preferred the one sink but this trip, I found the two sinks to be needed since we were there on a girls trip with two of us adults along with our two daughters. But that additional sink takes up counterspace. Amazingly, we had plenty of room for all our toiletries. I did bring a hanging bag as I do anywhere I travel that holds my smaller toiletries and that helped a lot. I wish I could have hung it closer to the sinks but I was stuck hanging it near the toilet rack. If you look at the photo of the sinks below, they could easily put a towel rack or some hooks on the wall that separates the toilet from the sinks so you could hang a bag like mine. There are towel racks just under the sinks and I found those to be a great addition. The biggest drawback was that they took the clothesline out of the shower I hope they put these back in but they didn't have one for us. But I used the closet door handles to hang some swimsuits to free up the minimal towel rack space in the bathroom (and I actually did that on past trips too since many times the clothesline in the shower doesn't help if people are taking showers ) I did send these photos to Tikiman who mentioned that there appears to be less counter space in the Tokelau bathrooms than other bathrooms. But to put anyone's worries at ease - I use a lot of toiletries and I like a lot of counter space and even for me and 3 other girls, it was just fine.

Looking directly straight from the bathroom door:

Looking from the back wall toward the bathroom door (I liked the frosted glass but now there isn't a full length mirror anywhere in the room - although the mirror on the dresser is fairly large):

Looking from the back wall toward the sinks. You can see the split mirrors here. It was fine for most things to have a split mirror but when I dried my hair I used up more mirror room so I had to sort of bounce between the two to see what I was doing. Note the 'evil' close up mirror :

Closer picture of the toilet area - you can just see the towel rack above the toilets where there is just one shelf with one towel rod and the additional towel rod with the hand towels on the wall (there is also a hook right next to the shower that I did not get a photo of....ONE hook ):

Looking from the bathroom door toward the sinks:

Room location/View:
I LOVE Tokelau's location and the rooms. The rooms are part of the slightly larger category of rooms and every room in Tokelau has a balcony or patio which adds to our enjoyment of the vacation. All the views are lovely from Tokelau and the location is very central to the GCH, TTC, beach, and the pools. As for our first time on the pool side - it was great! I did not notice any additional noise from the East pool but it is a relatively calm and quiet pool and even when people are in it, the shrubbery and landscaping really keep the noise down. So we were spoiled and had barely anyone in the longhouse this trip although it did increase as the days went on. We noticed a little hall noise but barely any overhead noise. I will say, get RID OF THE JET TOILETS!!!! They kept us up. You could hear people flushing from all over the building - it is positively ridiculous. There is nothing you can do to keep from hearing it unless you want to keep your TV on (which I would have but I was with others who didn't like that idea). But I'm not sure the TV would even drown out the noise.

View looking right on the balcony:

View looking left on the balcony:

View looking straight on when on the balcony:

And with the girls...and their American Girls:

Other Construction:
Even though construction was happening in certain buildings and areas, we never heard a thing nor did it interfere with the enjoyment of the resort.

Parking:
We had no issues finding parking spots at the Poly and even the 'far' spot was not far at all.

Transportation:
Monorail was fabulous and quick as always. We drove to DTD and Typhoon Lagoon (and I will always drive to DTD or the water parks if I can). The bus to HS and back was so quick - we hardly waiting two minutes there and none coming back. We went directly to HS and we stopped at the Contemporary on the way back.

Dining:
I love the grown up grilled cheese, dole whips, cheese danishes and waffles at Captain Cooks - it is one of my favorite quick service resort restaurants! I do wish they would replace the paper bacon but it is a Disney standard. Ohanas for breakfast was fun as usual. We went so the girls could interact with the characters and the food was very good and they brought me LOTS of waffles - yum...

Pools:
The Volcano pool was soooo busy on the weekend (it was Memorial weekend) but we managed to find some chairs and enjoy the pool. After the weekend, it was much better and you could even find some tables near the bar. The east pool was a favorite for the girls so they could have more room to play. We enjoyed both pools very much!

Cabana:
I reserved a half day standard cabana a long time ago and as you know, Mauna Kea was damaged and taken down. The other cabana was rented for a full day and I found that out when I wanted to see if I could come earlier than 2. The attendant said we were upgraded to the premium cabana which was a little nice but I was also worried because you can't see the majority of the pool from there. We didn't have a choice in the matter but the attendant was great. She found out this was a surprise for my daughter for her birthday and she decorated it with balloons and got her a cake - on the house - so nice!! We found that since our children are strong swimmers and with the lifeguards, we were ok with our location. The bonus was having the beach right next to your area as well. Our cushy lounge chairs were in the shade and unlike the standard cabanas, there really isn't a lot of places to move them so we were able to lounge in the chairs on the beach. We did have one child come into the cabana area and another family start to move and sit at our table even though it is roped off but for the most part, we didn't have the trespassers that I think they had in the beginning when they didn't rope it off. While we really enjoyed this premium cabana, I think it would be more beneficial if you had more than 4 people. For 4 people or for a single family unit, the standard cabana is perfect and you don't need to upgrade for the larger space. I don't have a ton of photos of the full cabana but Tikiman has them on his site and there are some on the first page too!

It rained for 20 minutes and we had shelter which was great:

View from the cabana out toward the beach - during the rain but it all dried up really quick:

Birthday cake:

Issues:
We did have an issue with our keys while we were at the Poly and it did affect our time getting into the parks too. I am not going to get into a lot of detail but overall, I would say it impacted our total time with this issue by an hour (TOTAL) but Poly immediately apologized when the keys stopped working, set it right, and compensated us above and beyond what I expected. In fact, I did not expect a thing other than new keys!!! It was a vastly different experience from the Beach Club from a couple weeks prior where I lost a total of 6 HOURS of time on my key issue and they didn't do a thing nor communicate with us at all. So KUDOS to the Poly for treating us right!!!! I'll be coming back

Oh wow, long review but hopefully that helps some of you!
Thanks for the great trip report. Thanks for posting pics too.
I am still torn on which longhouse to request. Fiji (3rd floor marina view), Tokelau (2nd or 3rd floor) or Samoa (third floor towards volcano pool). Anniversary trip so want a romantic location.
I booked GV and will be arriving 12th of Sept.
Will all the longhouses be renovated by that date?
Old 06-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #3566
916chipndale
You've got a friend in me It all started by a mouse

Can you still refill your mugs at Capt Cooks? Or just the pool bar now?
2005-Beach Club Resort
2007-All Star Movies Resort
2008-Polynesian Resort
December 2010-All Star Sports Resort
Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #3567
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

WWYD???? So torn....

Oh boy, what a conundrum....

So, we are annual Disney goers and are planning next years trip for August. We will be staying 10 nights.

I have wanted to stay at the Poly since I was 7 years old, but recently have gone with other resorts because I did not like the Poly decor.

Well, now they have new decor that I love!!! So, I thought, great!!! 2014 is our year!!!!

But, now there is talk of the DVC construction starting at the end of this year. I know at this point it is just rumor, but I have genuine concern about this. We would plan to stay CL (so Hawaii building). Based on the projected DVC buildings according to Tikiman, I might not actually be able to see the construction, but I am nervous.

My 2nd choice would be GF Sugarloaf.

Would you still stay Poly??? Despite construction? I just don't know what to do....

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #3568
jacksmom
DIS Veteran

How do you book the cabana??
Old 06-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #3569
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916chipndale
Yes, you can still fill them at CC. The pool bar doesn't have root beer, cherry coke or mr. Pibb.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #3570
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916chipndale View Post
You can still refill your mugs at Captain cooks and I recommend it - they have a mug wash, 2 soda stations, lots of coffee stations and even iced coffee now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsandra View Post
Thanks for the great trip report. Thanks for posting pics too.
I am still torn on which longhouse to request. Fiji (3rd floor marina view), Tokelau (2nd or 3rd floor) or Samoa (third floor towards volcano pool). Anniversary trip so want a romantic location.
I booked GV and will be arriving 12th of Sept.
Will all the longhouses be renovated by that date?
I have only stayed at Tokelau and can attest to the great location and great views for the 'cheapest' room According to Tikiman's site, Tahiti is scheduled to be done 9/13 and Rapa Nui by 10/4 (either that or they might be tearing out Rapa Nui) and all others should be complete by your arrival date. Of course, this is his UNofficial information but he's been pretty accurate with the other longhouses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
Oh boy, what a conundrum....

So, we are annual Disney goers and are planning next years trip for August. We will be staying 10 nights.

I have wanted to stay at the Poly since I was 7 years old, but recently have gone with other resorts because I did not like the Poly decor.

Well, now they have new decor that I love!!! So, I thought, great!!! 2014 is our year!!!!

But, now there is talk of the DVC construction starting at the end of this year. I know at this point it is just rumor, but I have genuine concern about this. We would plan to stay CL (so Hawaii building). Based on the projected DVC buildings according to Tikiman, I might not actually be able to see the construction, but I am nervous.

My 2nd choice would be GF Sugarloaf.

Would you still stay Poly??? Despite construction? I just don't know what to do....
Tikiman is giving his best information to us and unfortunately, even his information is from folks that change their minds. You can't count on any construction unless Disney announces it OR it is happening right then and there. Tikiman is pretty good with his information though so according to what he is hearing, the construction will start at the end of this year and might start with the removal of Rapa Nui and the construction of the over the water bungalows. But there is also hints of updating the GCH and the Volcano pool. No one knows until it happens or at least gets closer. While I have never had a problem with construction at the Poly (noise, interference with my vacation, etc), this is a lot larger project than just longhouse refurbishment. I recommend you ask on the GF site how the construction impacted those vacationers - that would give you a more accurate idea. If the GCH and pool had a minimal impact, I would be fine staying at the Poly during construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmom View Post
How do you book the cabana??
Call the recreation line at 407-939-7529. You can also call the reservations or dining line and they usually have an option to book recreation or if you end up getting through to someone at the wrong spot, they will transfer you.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: