Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #2881
Dominion
Mouseketeer

DVC construction in 2013

Ahhhhh!!! So we are booked 2nd week in Dec at the Polynesian CL. I really don't want to have our trip affected by major construction and noise and general distruption to the magical experience we are planning and expecting. I just read tikiman's website and it sounds like DVC construction would start over on the GF side of Polynesian, which seems like it would have a minimal impact on the rest of the resort, at least for awhile. What do you guys think? Would you be worried? Is it way too premature for me to even be worrying about this?

I'm also aware from reading these boards that Disney seems to be notorious for starting construction late????
Offsite 2003
Poly CL December 2013 - First family trip!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #2882
jenjersnap
yadda yadda yadda

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbynan View Post
We are thinkin of switching from Lagoon View to Garden View. We really wanted Tahiti, but it may not be done when we check in. Quick question about Tokelau - is the entire building now a lagoon view or is it garden or what they're now calling standard?

TIA!!
I believe there only 2 lagoon view rooms in Tokelau. The rest are standard views.

Upcoming: Disneyland 7/14 Mom & DS3, BCV 11/14

YC & Poly 10/13 Poly & BC 12/10GC at Disneyland 06/09Mom and DS2, WL 1/09YC & BC (yes, both!) 9/08 Hojo's near Disneyland 6/08Mom and DS1, WL 1/08Poly 9/07 BC 10/06 AKL & Poly 12/05 Mom and DS1, WL & Dolphin 2/05 First trip as an adult to AK & FW cabins, 12/04
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #2883
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfor4 View Post
I read something on another page and it got me thinking- are non Poly guests technically allowed to watch fireworks from the beach? I know pool hopping is frowned upon but this seems like the one thing that goes unnoticed. I don't want to stir the pot but I've always wondered if they ever check room keys??
Nope - everyone is welcome to watch the fireworks from the beach. Do some Poly people complain about it? Yes, however, Disney welcomes anyone and everyone to watch from the beach.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #2884
EnchantedLilly
Earning My Ears

This news is unfortunate, we love the Polynesian the way it is and we too are worried about congestion and overcrowded areas of the Polynesian, Oh well, if there will be a new DVC we most likely wont be staying here anymore.
2000 - All Star Music...2001 - Caribbean Beach...2003 - Wilderness Lodge...2004 - Wilderness Lodge...2004 - Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian...2006 - Polynesian...2006 - All Star Sports...2007 - Polynesian...2008 - Polynesian...2010 - Polynesian...2011 - Grand Floridian, Polynesian...2011 - Polynesian...2012 - Polynesian...2012 - Polynesian...2013 - Polynesian
Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #2885
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjersnap View Post
I believe there only 2 lagoon view rooms in Tokelau. The rest are standard views.
Thank you so much! This is what we were hoping for!!

WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007**SoG 2000*Off Site 1998

No Ticker...
Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #2886
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

September to be crowded?

WOW...just called to see about switching from a lagoon view to a standard view room for our 9/18-9/24 trip and there are NO standard view rooms available! Yikes! Wonder if that means it's going to be crowded or that they'll just be down some rooms due to renovations?! I thought that September was one of the slower months.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Tahiti will be finished by check in. The refurb is to be completed on September 14th....here's hoping they don't run behind!

No Ticker...
Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #2887
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbynan View Post
WOW...just called to see about switching from a lagoon view to a standard view room for our 9/18-9/24 trip and there are NO standard view rooms available! Yikes! Wonder if that means it's going to be crowded or that they'll just be down some rooms due to renovations?! I thought that September was one of the slower months.
Actually it just means they don't have availability for those specific start and end dates. If your dates were 9/17-9/23 there might be availability. Tahiti and Rapa Nui are probably not in the currently available inventory for Sep, even though they may be open by the time you get there. I wouldn't worry about it being overly crowded as the room renovations reduce the number of available rooms making the resort less crowded than normal.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #2888
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw50 View Post
Actually it just means they don't have availability for those specific start and end dates. If your dates were 9/17-9/23 there might be availability. Tahiti and Rapa Nui are probably not in the currently available inventory for Sep, even though they may be open by the time you get there. I wouldn't worry about it being overly crowded as the room renovations reduce the number of available rooms making the resort less crowded than normal.
Oooo, thanks. I never stopped to think that the Poly might be less crowded due to the renovations....good point. Thanks!

No Ticker...
Old 05-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #2889
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn Friends of Pooh View Post
Nope - everyone is welcome to watch the fireworks from the beach. Do some Poly people complain about it? Yes, however, Disney welcomes anyone and everyone to watch from the beach.
I heard someone complain about it last time I was there but had never really thought about it until then. The beach does get crowded but not bad considering. We have had our room keys checked at the pool before so I wasn't sure how often they did that- I'm all about enforcing the pool hopping rule! Fireworks I understand though!

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

Old 05-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #2890
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfamily1998 View Post
I'm glad to read that you think Sheila will be ok--because I am going in early October and was starting to get concerned.
I've wanted to stay at the Poly since I was a little girl, and am really looking forward to this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
I am going to keep a close eye on any construction news as I requested Fiji Luau Cove side right where they are putting one of the new buildings for DVC
I really think you guys will be okay. Like someone else said, Disney is notorious for starting things a little late. So hopefully you will both be able to enjoy a construction free Poly vacation!!

Yep - just keep your eye on things between now and then
Old 05-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #2891
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfor4 View Post
I heard someone complain about it last time I was there but had never really thought about it until then. The beach does get crowded but not bad considering. We have had our room keys checked at the pool before so I wasn't sure how often they did that- I'm all about enforcing the pool hopping rule! Fireworks I understand though!
The thing that bugs me about the fireworks is when non-guests take up all the chairs leaving Poly guests to stand, when they guests have paid for the privilege.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #2892
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
The thing that bugs me about the fireworks is when non-guests take up all the chairs leaving Poly guests to stand, when they guests have paid for the privilege.
Interesting point .... I've planned a couple of dinners at the Poly for my Oct/Nov trip and intend to watch the fireworks from the beach but would never consider taking up a chair!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #2893
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post
Interesting point .... I've planned a couple of dinners at the Poly for my Oct/Nov trip and intend to watch the fireworks from the beach but would never consider taking up a chair!
I seem to recall reading about the issuing of wrist bands for fireworks viewing for a very busy time New Yers Eve or July 4th last year but don't remember reading anything about how that worked out.

Makes me wonder if Firework viewing from the Poly Beach will change once DVC is complete as the bungalows & DVC looks as if to take over the one beach area?

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 05-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #2894
tsme
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedLilly View Post
This news is unfortunate, we love the Polynesian the way it is and we too are worried about congestion and overcrowded areas of the Polynesian, Oh well, if there will be a new DVC we most likely wont be staying here anymore.
I totally agree, we probably won't stay at Poly anymore either if they do add all those DVCs.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #2895
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
So, you see someone sitting on a chair - just curious how do you know if they are a Poly guest just by looking at them?

Our beef is the people who park in the Poly lot for the day to go to Magic Kingdom, or during the evening to to go Magic Kingdom to watch the fireworks. The last 3 trips we've come back to the Poly late afternoon/early evening and there was no where for us to park - the lot was completely full.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: