Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #2746
chasgoose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey2minnie1 View Post
Aloha everyone,

I am going to be surprising my kids with a Poly GVCL stay for 5nights in June. It is their favorite place in the world. They think we are staying the whole time in the condo at Reunion Resort. Any Ideas on how to surprise them once we are there. Although I would like to wait until the day of checkout, my DS 16 gets the Disney blues a couple of days before we have to leave, and I do not want to have to put him through that, I think.

Thanks for your help!!!
I mean the easiest solution would be to just make the surprise going to the Poly, that way your DS won't go through the trip is ending blues twice. There are two other reasons to recommend this. First, springing surprise extra days on teenagers can backfire if they have made plans with their friends back home or something. You might not get the reaction you were expecting. Second, an 11 day trip (with some of those nights at an on-site resort) is a very different beast than a 6 day trip. The luxury of that length of a trip is you get time to relax and not have to go crazy at the parks every day you are there. If your kids don't know about the extra days, they might try to cram everything they want to do into the first six days and/or get frustrated when you try to slow things down and don't satisfactorily explain why. That's why I would probably tell them to plan for an 11 day trip at the Reunion Resort and then surprise them when the time comes to head over to the Poly.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #2747
Armycavprincess
Earning My Ears

hi

We will be at the poly May 19-25 GVCL !! How many people go to the beach to watch the fireworks? I want to know how crowded it will be? Should I plan to watch from the beach or the club area? How is the pool this time of year? Will it be crazy? This is our 2nd trip to wdw and poly. We camr in Oct 2010, but never went to the pool or saw the fireworks. I hope with the kids being older (6&4) we might get to do more this trip.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #2748
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasgoose View Post
I mean the easiest solution would be to just make the surprise going to the Poly, that way your DS won't go through the trip is ending blues twice. There are two other reasons to recommend this. First, springing surprise extra days on teenagers can backfire if they have made plans with their friends back home or something. You might not get the reaction you were expecting. Second, an 11 day trip (with some of those nights at an on-site resort) is a very different beast than a 6 day trip. The luxury of that length of a trip is you get time to relax and not have to go crazy at the parks every day you are there. If your kids don't know about the extra days, they might try to cram everything they want to do into the first six days and/or get frustrated when you try to slow things down and don't satisfactorily explain why. That's why I would probably tell them to plan for an 11 day trip at the Reunion Resort and then surprise them when the time comes to head over to the Poly.
You are so right about springing surprises on teenagers! When we came home from AKL in January I booked a surprise trip for June 2-6 at the Polynesian for our older daughter's graduation (6/1) and 18th birthday (6/19). Made my ADRs , had everything lined up, etc. Let my younger daughter in on it. Decided to tell older daughter about it and didn't get the response I hoped for. She did not want to leave on 6/2, the Poly was tacky (our last stay there in '04 was less than stellar), blah, blah, blah. Then she says let's not go until 6/3 so she can spend time with her friends. fine, moved everything around. Then I booked a room only at POR for 6/2 so we could get an early start on Monday morning in a park. Then she says, wait, lets just go on 6/2because I have to be home on 6/6 so I can go to the airport on 6/7 to see my friends off. So many changes!
offsite'71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,C R'03,WL'04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05 ,YC'06,PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14),Swan (11/14)

Old 04-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #2749
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasgoose View Post
Great points. I think I will tell all of them about the duration and save the moving to the Poly till we are there. Thanks!!!!
Nov/Dec 2010 5 nights at the Poly with my 3 children
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 17 DS 14 DD 12 Sebastian 6
Old 04-28-2013, 12:55 AM   #2750
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfun67 View Post
I did call 407-W-Disney. The first agent told me since my mom was handicapped she would request the Hawaii building for us with rooms adjacent to each other. After doing research on my own I learned the Hawaii building was the club building so we had no chance of getting that requested building. I then learned 2 handicapped rooms will never be adjacent that they are spread out. The agent also suggested I get a handicapped room incase my mother wanted to come into my room with her scooter that the handicapped rooms are bigger. When my wife called another day, got another agent she was told all rooms are the same size and the chance of getting 2 handicapped rooms together were not possible and we would possibly not even be on the same floor. My wife called back because she felt bad requesting and taking a handicapped room away from someone who may actually need it when we do not and my mother-in-law can have her own handicapped room why take 2 rooms? I then called back again to take the Hawaii request off and I asked for a building where construction was done already since my mother would surely rest during the day and I wouldn't want her next to construction. The agent told me she didn't have the construction list so whe couldn't tell me which rooms were done but assured me it wasn't heavy construction so my mom wouldn't be bothered. Then I came across Tiki Man website and he has the total list of construction! How is that possible when a Disney agent doesn't have the list? Very misled, they need to better train these Disney travel agents because they are giving false information, requesting rooms for people they have no chance of getting and it's a shame Tiki man can't book reservations he seems to be the most knowledgeable!!
The Cast Members that answer the Disney reservations line are not Travel Agents - they are sales agents at a call center. It's unfortunate, but many of them do not have all the information they need to do their jobs properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psac View Post
Tikiman has an "in" with someone who has inside knowledge of things going on at Poly. That construction schedule is definitely not public, and I believe the CM that they didn't have the info. Disney also likes to keep their construction schedules private so that if they have delays they aren't held to previously announced dates. It seems everything else that CM told you was correct. The first one, however, should not be doing that job!!! It's a shame that all too often people here know much more than the people working there.
Exactly!

Old 04-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #2751
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn Friends of Pooh View Post
The Cast Members that answer the Disney reservations line are not Travel Agents - they are sales agents at a call center. It's unfortunate, but many of them do not have all the information they need to do their jobs properly.

Exactly!
The problem is when you call Disney, you're usually calling a call centre. Often these aren't even in Orlando and more often then not the person you're speaking to has never even been on Florida, let alone Disney World.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 AM   #2752
Alli76
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli76 View Post
Hi here now everything is great. But heads up One of the regular cabanas is gone. I walked by and noticed because we had both booked for Wednesday (we have a large party). The club staff didn't even know had to walk out to confirm. so they are workin with me now.
Update... I love the club staff. They really helped me out. We are now booked for the premium cabana. Not exactly what I wanted but because it is farther from the pool. But at least we have something where we will all fit.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #2753
PixieMama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli76 View Post
Update... I love the club staff. They really helped me out. We are now booked for the premium cabana. Not exactly what I wanted but because it is farther from the pool. But at least we have something where we will all fit.
Do you know if the "missing" cabana is just a temporary thing? Or will they now only have 1 regular and 1 premium? I just booked a "regular" one for a half-day on our October trip...
POR - Oct 2012
AKL Club Level - Feb 2013
Polynesian - Oct 2013
All-Star Sports - Jan 2014
POFQ - May 2014
All-Star Movies - Sep 2014
Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #2754
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieMama View Post
Do you know if the "missing" cabana is just a temporary thing? Or will they now only have 1 regular and 1 premium? I just booked a "regular" one for a half-day on our October trip...
My first trip staying at the Poly in November and we are planing on reserving a Cabana for a half day also. I just called yesterday to get all the details so on 5/7 my 180 day I will be prepared. I had no idea there was only 1 regular and 1 premium I just sorta thought the Poly had 4 like CR

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 04-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #2755
disneymomma76

Transportation

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I've read some of the 100+ pages, but decided to just ask.

What time do the Monorail, buses, and boats start and end? I am more thinking for EMH mornings and evenings. First time staying at the Poly!

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #2756
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
My first trip staying at the Poly in November and we are planing on reserving a Cabana for a half day also. I just called yesterday to get all the details so on 5/7 my 180 day I will be prepared. I had no idea there was only 1 regular and 1 premium I just sorta thought the Poly had 4 like CR
I believe they had 3 Sheila. Two regular - by the pool. And one premium - more on the beach. Not sure what's going on with one missing now...
Old 04-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #2757
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
I believe they had 3 Sheila. Two regular - by the pool. And one premium - more on the beach. Not sure what's going on with one missing now...
I been thinking about the missing Cabana and maybe that is where they plan on putting the hotub that the Poly is suppose to get?

Thanks for the info that there use to be 2 regular Cabanas, will make sure to call now right at 7am to reserve it. Bob liked the idea of renting the cabana when I showed him the pictures and I really want him to fall in love with the Poly.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 04-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #2758
Alli76
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post

It is weird. The club staff didn't really know what is going on either so I don't know if it is a temporary thing or permanent. I hope that they don't put a hot tub there. I liked that the spot for the cabanas was kind of secluded. A hot tub there will really take away from the privacy and peacefulness of the cabana. I will try and find it more details as the week goes by.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #2759
Mommy to Kayla
Mouseketeer

Hi, I'm still very new to DIS and I have a quick question that I hope someone can answer. My family is headed to WDW for our first trip June 24-July 5. We are doing a split stay, half at the BC and half at the Poly CL theme park view. I was just wondering if anyone knows if all CL theme park views have a balcony? I looked around and it sounds like just the third floor rooms have a balcony? Is that true? Should I make a request for a 3rd floor room? And has anyone stayed in one of these rooms? I'm so excited for our first upcoming trip!!
July 1- 5, 2013 - Polynesian Resort, Walt Disneyworld

January 1-5, 2014 - Paradise Pier, Disneyland
July 28-August 2, 2014 - Split stay at Grand Californian Hotel and Disneyland Hotel

(other trips to Disneyland and Disneyland Paris as a kid but it's so much more fun now as a mommy!)
Old 04-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #2760
chasgoose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Kayla View Post
Hi, I'm still very new to DIS and I have a quick question that I hope someone can answer. My family is headed to WDW for our first trip June 24-July 5. We are doing a split stay, half at the BC and half at the Poly CL theme park view. I was just wondering if anyone knows if all CL theme park views have a balcony? I looked around and it sounds like just the third floor rooms have a balcony? Is that true? Should I make a request for a 3rd floor room? And has anyone stayed in one of these rooms? I'm so excited for our first upcoming trip!!
Since the clearest sight lines to the MK are from the third floor I think the majority of the TPV CL rooms have balconies, but I would specifically request a balcony to make sure. Only requesting third floor might not make it clear to the room assigner that the balcony is what is important to you.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: