Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #2011
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

Is there a monorail directly from the TTC to MK ? I'm just trying to decide if my Tahiti request will be best for my situation. I have feet and back trouble right now and am having a hard time deciding whether it will be more important to be closer to transportation or to pools and GCH

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Old 03-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #2012
Cdn Friends of Pooh
Proud Redhead
We also were required to remove our shoes
ctober is our favorite time of year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindie-rella View Post
Is there a monorail directly from the TTC to MK ? I'm just trying to decide if my Tahiti request will be best for my situation. I have feet and back trouble right now and am having a hard time deciding whether it will be more important to be closer to transportation or to pools and GCH
There are actually two different monorail lines - the express monorail that runs from the MK to the TTC & back, and a resort monorail, that takes the scenic route around the lagoon (stops at the Poly, then Grand Floridian, then MK, then Contemporary, then the TTC and repeat)

The Poly also has a boat that goes back and forth between the resort and the MK (it does stop at the GF first)

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #2013
Cindie-rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn Friends of Pooh View Post
There are actually two different monorail lines - the express monorail that runs from the MK to the TTC & back, and a resort monorail, that takes the scenic route around the lagoon (stops at the Poly, then Grand Floridian, then MK, then Contemporary, then the TTC and repeat)

The Poly also has a boat that goes back and forth between the resort and the MK (it does stop at the GF first)
So, from what I hear Tahiti is hardly but a few steps away from the TTC, so we can actually head to TTC grab the "resort" monorail to the GCH if we need? I really don't mean to sound lazy b/c I am not. I'm just concerned about my pain, and what a place to visit with the ailments I have right now! I have yet another doctor appt., so hopefully this one will be able to help me with my sciatica It's gotten so bad it's affecting my walking. That isn't good news for someone heading to WDW.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #2014
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindie-rella

So, from what I hear Tahiti is hardly but a few steps away from the TTC, so we can actually head to TTC grab the "resort" monorail to the GCH if we need? I really don't mean to sound lazy b/c I am not. I'm just concerned about my pain, and what a place to visit with the ailments I have right now! I have yet another doctor appt., so hopefully this one will be able to help me with my sciatica It's gotten so bad it's affecting my walking. That isn't good news for someone heading to WDW.
Unfortunately it's not that simple. You would still have to walk up a fairly moderate inclines ramp to the monorail, wail till a trail comes and then board. You would enter on the second floor of GCH, which has Ohana, Kona and one shop. If you want the other shops, arcade, captain Cooks or luau cove you'd have to go downstairs and walk some more.
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14)
Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #2015
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Why not just rent a scooter believe me it will make your trip so much more enjoyable rather than being in pain trying to walk.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila

Last edited by sjs314; 03-09-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Remove quote posted in error
Old 03-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #2016
latexscooter
Be nice even if it takes some effort.

Hey, everyone. We're 84 days from our stay and I have a couple quick questions.

When you stay at the Poly do you rent a car or are you satisfied with the bus, monorail, boat service? I'd prefer to rely on Disney transportation but was wondering if that would be wise.

Is there surrey bike rental onsite?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #2017
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexscooter View Post
Hey, everyone. We're 84 days from our stay and I have a couple quick questions.

When you stay at the Poly do you rent a car or are you satisfied with the bus, monorail, boat service? I'd prefer to rely on Disney transportation but was wondering if that would be wise.

Is there surrey bike rental onsite?

Thanks for the help.
Our family actually enjoys the disney transportation. Honestly sitting on a bus is often the only time you get to SIT. We spend most of our time at MK so Poly works well for us. When leaving Ak or Hs we will take the first of these busses back to hotel. CR/Poly GF/WL or TTC. Those are usually the hotels that are put together but not always. 1st bus choice goes directly back but dd and I may get off at CR to shop first and guys go back to Poly. 2nd choice get off at GF and either take boat or monorail back( you can walk but I have not tried it). Choice 3 we take pathway from TTC to poly. So if you see a bus pull away we don't panic we take which ever shows up next. Also to get to Epcot at busy times we walk to TTC and get mono to Epcot there vs taking mono all the way around.

I think Poly has the best transportation options of all the resorts.
For fun we have taken bus to WL, then boat from there to CR and mono there to Poly. Exploring is fun too especially after lunch if weather too hot or cold to swim.

I am staying there in less than 30 days and looking forward to the boat ride to /from MK. Also a monorail ride at sunset is priceless
Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #2018
Cindie-rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
Why not just rent a scooter believe me it will make your trip so much more enjoyable rather than being in pain trying to walk.
Believe me I've been thinking about it ! I'm just going to wait until I get there to see how I'm feeling. I just hope this next DR. appt will provide me with a solution for some relief. Surgery will NOT be on my option list however. I've heard too many nightmares! Maybe a cortizone shot ? Or perhaps a chiropractor ? I'm now frantically working on it as WDW trip is drawing closer...I also have neuropathy...but that I have learned to deal with, kinda. This is all why I have chosen the POLY to stay at ! If there is a day I need to rest and let my DH and DGD go off on their own, what better place to be than the POLY

Old 03-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #2019
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskirk View Post
Hi! I was wondering if any of you had pictures of the TPV rooms (spec. the view). I haven't been able to find too many. We are going to be splurging for a TPV, but are having a hard time deciding between the Contemporary and Poly. I love the Poly and really want to stay there, although I am pretty sure the TPV is a lot better at the Comtemporary which will make the family happier. The Poly just seems more kid friendly. I'm also excited about the renovations. We are so close to booking our trip. We just have to make this final decision (which resort). If anyone has any reviews on the Poly TPV please let me know. I tried to use some of the links for reviews at the beginning of this thread, but some did not work or show pictures. Thanks for any help you can offer in advance.
We prefer TPV from Poly vs. CR. Check out the trip report linked in my signature for photos from our TPV at CR last summer.

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
Old 03-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #2020
kungaloosh22
Mouseketeer

construction question

Hi Poly peeps,

Can anyone who has been at the Poly recently tell me about the current renovations, and how they might impact surrounding longhouses? Do the visuals wreck the peaceful beauty of the area? Is it quite loud?

When I'm scheduled to be there, it looks like Aotearoa and Tokelau will be down for renovations. Given the locations of those longhouses, it makes it kind of hard to avoid being next to or looking at the construction, at least with a garden view room. I've considered upgrading to lagoon view, but I'm already stretching the budget. I could also request a parking lot view (meh) or volcano pool view (noisy?), though neither of those thrill me. Plus how is it walking by the construction every day?

Poly is and always has been my favorite resort, and we almost always stay there for part of our trip, but now I'm rethinking that for my next trip.

Am I concerned about nothing?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #2021
Chavaleh
Mouseketeer

My husband and I are planning to take a trip to WDW the last week in Aug to celebrate our 20th anniversary. I'd been looking at some of the other deluxe resorts but he's really decided he loves the look of the Poly the best and has his heart set on a Theme Park View room. I'd really love to be in one of the refurbished longhouses but from the Tikiman page it looks as though the buildings with TPVs are further down the list for rehabs? I might be wrong on that. We're contemplating splurging on club level rooms mostly because I know they were the first to be redone but $200 more a night seems like an excessive amount to make sure we get a refurbed TPV and a few snacks. Still, I'm tempted. Is there more to CL than some snacks and a lounge? If you've stayed at both CL and standard do you feel like the overall experience was more indulgent or has it mostly been just that the CL lounge was a nice thing to have?

I'm sure I'm making my husband nuts going back and forth about this.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #2022
jdd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavaleh View Post
My husband and I are planning to take a trip to WDW the last week in Aug to celebrate our 20th anniversary. I'd been looking at some of the other deluxe resorts but he's really decided he loves the look of the Poly the best and has his heart set on a Theme Park View room. I'd really love to be in one of the refurbished longhouses but from the Tikiman page it looks as though the buildings with TPVs are further down the list for rehabs? I might be wrong on that. We're contemplating splurging on club level rooms mostly because I know they were the first to be redone but $200 more a night seems like an excessive amount to make sure we get a refurbed TPV and a few snacks. Still, I'm tempted. Is there more to CL than some snacks and a lounge? If you've stayed at both CL and standard do you feel like the overall experience was more indulgent or has it mostly been just that the CL lounge was a nice thing to have?

I'm sure I'm making my husband nuts going back and forth about this.
I make my husband nuts constantly

I know it seems like a lot of extra cash (though I think it's more like $150 than $200/night?) Here's what I figure you get:

1)Breakfast - if you don't need a hot breakfast, this is great. Bagels, muffins, fruit, cereal, yogurt - more than enough for our family. And it's quick and easy - some people are eating while others are getting ready,etc.
2)drinks throughout the day
3)though it's probably not enough for dinner for everyone, the evening appetizers are generally enough for me. Then the "boys" split a couple of quick service meals, and we've saved money there too!
4)evening desserts and - an evening cocktail . Something we normally wouldn't spend the money on, but it's really nice to have. Love, love, love getting a few desserts and a glass of wine, and sitting on the beach to watch Wishes
5) location - you can't beat the location of the Hawaii building - right next to the volcano pool, right on the beach and what a fantastic view! I'm smiling just thinking about it

I don't actually use the IPOs to make my ressies - I like having control of that myself - but I'm sure that's a great perk for people who have it done.

So, all in all, we're now spoiled, and it's hard to stay anywhere else! Good luck with your decision!
March 2002, May 2003, Nov 2007 - ASMo, Nov 2005 - CSR, April 2007 - CBR, Oct 2008 - POR, Aug 2009 - FW Cabins/Beach Club, Dec 2009 - ASSp (mom/son trip), Aug-Sept 2010-POR/Poly CL, Sept 2011-Poly (mom/son trip), May2012-CBR(anniversary trip), Aug2012-WWoHP and AKL-Kidani, Aug2013-PolyCL, Feb2014-CBR, Feb2015-???
Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #2023
croach
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I stayed in Tahiti in January and while it is close to the TTC, I honestly think It's not really that much closer than the GCH. You kind of are right between the two in my opinion. Seems like you would be better to be as close the GCH as possible and just take the monorail from the resort. Hope you are feeling better before you trip.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #2024
singastory
Are you sure this water's sanitary? It looks questionable to me!!

I am anxiously awaiting some refurb pics. I saw a few pages ago that someone said 3/12 was when they were re-opening reservations for CL... Only a few days left! I won't be staying at Poly for my next trip but it's on the wish list for the following trip. Haven't stayed at the Poly in 15 years, but have visited many times for Kona! Hopefully will make it to 'Ohana for the first time in January, so excited

Old 03-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #2025
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavaleh View Post
Is there more to CL than some snacks and a lounge? If you've stayed at both CL and standard do you feel like the overall experience was more indulgent or has it mostly been just that the CL lounge was a nice thing to have?
To me one of the biggest advantages to CL is that you have the services of the Itinerary Planning Office (IPO). You tell them what reservations you want and they make all of them for you. It save you spending alot of time online or on the phone making your ADRs and other reservations that you may want. If you provide them with the info before your 180 day mark you pretty much get exactly what you want pretty close to the time that you want. Since you are inside the 180 day mark for the end of August there may be some reservations they will not be able to get or not real close to the time you wanted but they can still save you the time on the phone or online.

They will also give you a printed itinerary when you arrive with all your ADRs and other reservations and will assist you with any reservations you want to make or change after you arrive.

Is CL worth the additional cost? Most of the people that stay CL think that it is but only you can decide if it is worth it to you.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: