Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #1861
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone!

I apologize asking this since I am sure it's been discussed, but the search function is not working right now. We will be at the Poly in August, and are planning a full resort day on 8/24. We have a 10:15 am Kona ADR for breakfast and a dinner ADR at Ohana for 6:30. The rest of the day will be spent by the pool. We usually stay at the BC at this time of year, and so far we haven't had trouble getting lounge chairs. But looking at the pictures, it seems like there aren't as many loungers by the pool at Poly.

So, my questions:

Doe the pool area become very crowded to the point that it is hard to find a few lounge chairs together?

If so, is a cabana rental recommended? Where are the regular (not premium) cabanas located in relation to the beach and pool? For those of you who rented cabanas, are they worth it? And would you recommend a full or half day? Both half days would cut into our ADRs.

I'm not generally picky if we are just coming to swim on a break between parks, but since we are specifically planning a full resort day (something we've never done) I want to make sure it's a relaxing one!

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #1862
gypsydoodlebug
Who DOESN'T love Fraggle Rock? I have to admit, Gobo Fraggle was kinda hot...
all of a sudden I sound like a Beverly Hillbilly??!?!
I can't tell the chicks from the dudes on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314

I am torn too and Bob is really no help I showed him your picture gypsydoodlebug and he likes the view of the volcano but also thinks it would be nice to be able to walk out on the grass and over to the beach on the Luau Cove Side. He has restless leg syndrome and walks about some nights, reason we are trying a 1st floor patio this trip. We love balconies but nowhere for him to stretch his legs
I will try to grab a picture of that side for you when it stops raining. We've had showers all day.

ETA: here you go:

And the view:

**Newly minted VGF DVC members**

Last edited by gypsydoodlebug; 02-26-2013 at 02:11 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #1863
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
I am torn too and Bob is really no help I showed him your picture gypsydoodlebug and he likes the view of the volcano but also thinks it would be nice to be able to walk out on the grass and over to the beach on the Luau Cove Side. He has restless leg syndrome and walks about some nights, reason we are trying a 1st floor patio this trip. We love balconies but nowhere for him to stretch his legs
Sorry to jump into your conversation, but I just wanted to add, when on the marina side of Fiji the first floor patios are slightly raised and surrounded by shrubs, so your DH couldn't really get out of the patio area to walk around at night (even if he didn't mind a stroll around the marina). Just thought I'd mention that if it might affect your decision. I've never paid attention to the beach side of Fiji, so I don't know if the patios go directly out onto the grass on that side or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
Hi everyone!

So, my questions:

Doe the pool area become very crowded to the point that it is hard to find a few lounge chairs together?

If so, is a cabana rental recommended? Where are the regular (not premium) cabanas located in relation to the beach and pool? For those of you who rented cabanas, are they worth it? And would you recommend a full or half day? Both half days would cut into our ADRs.

I'm not generally picky if we are just coming to swim on a break between parks, but since we are specifically planning a full resort day (something we've never done) I want to make sure it's a relaxing one!

Thanks!
I've never been in August, so can't answer you questions about chair availiability at that time of year, but we have rented a cabana twice. We only had a half day both times. We feel that a full day would be too much. We felt it was worth it. Funnily enough on our cabana days we have found we tend not to use to pool too much. We find ourselves more relaxing and reading a book or magazine. Even the kids putter around in the cabana, do homework (not applicable in August though!), etc. They were in the pool a bit last year, but not for a super long time. I don't know if you've looked at the pictures yet, but the cabanas have padded lounge furniture, table & chairs, a fridge (stocked with soda & water) and a tv. They also bring you a large fruit platter. It's easy just to hide out in there all day and enjoy the atmosphere!

The cabanas are at the end of the pool closest to the GCH (opposite end of the pool from the beach) and are in a raised area (you have to take a few steps up to get to them). They are fairly private from the walkways & pool with folliage & the steps up, but they are in a shared space together (ie. if both cabanas are rented there is no physical barrier for privacy from your neighbours, they are just spaced out a bit from each other on the raised area) although the canvas sides of the cabanas do provide you some privacy if you don't have them pulled back

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
Old 02-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #1864
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya

I've never been in August, so can't answer you questions about chair availiability at that time of year, but we have rented a cabana twice. We only had a half day both times. We feel that a full day would be too much. We felt it was worth it. Funnily enough on our cabana days we have found we tend not to use to pool too much. We find ourselves more relaxing and reading a book or magazine. Even the kids putter around in the cabana, do homework (not applicable in August though!), etc. They were in the pool a bit last year, but not for a super long time. I don't know if you've looked at the pictures yet, but the cabanas have padded lounge furniture, table & chairs, a fridge (stocked with soda & water) and a tv. They also bring you a large fruit platter. It's easy just to hide out in there all day and enjoy the atmosphere!

The cabanas are at the end of the pool closest to the GCH (opposite end of the pool from the beach) and are in a raised area (you have to take a few steps up to get to them). They are fairly private from the walkways & pool with folliage & the steps up, but they are in a shared space together (ie. if both cabanas are rented there is no physical barrier for privacy from your neighbours, they are just spaced out a bit from each other on the raised area) although the canvas sides of the cabanas do provide you some privacy if you don't have them pulled back
Thanks for your input! I went ahead and booked a full day standard cabana. I figure this way I at least have a hold on it if I decide to go to a half day I can change the reservation.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #1865
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydoodlebug View Post
I will try to grab a picture of that side for you when it stops raining. We've had showers all day.

ETA: here you go:
gypsydoodlebug Thank You so much for those 2 pictures! I think after seeing them the Luau Cove side might work out better for us. Thank You Again

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 02-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #1866
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
Sorry to jump into your conversation, but I just wanted to add, when on the marina side of Fiji the first floor patios are slightly raised and surrounded by shrubs, so your DH couldn't really get out of the patio area to walk around at night (even if he didn't mind a stroll around the marina). Just thought I'd mention that if it might affect your decision. I've never paid attention to the beach side of Fiji, so I don't know if the patios go directly out onto the grass on that side
maipapaya

After seeing the pictures above I'm thinking that might be better.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 02-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #1867
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
Thanks for your input! I went ahead and booked a full day standard cabana. I figure this way I at least have a hold on it if I decide to go to a half day I can change the reservation.
Glad to help. Enjoy!

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #1868
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
These photos are getting me even more excited for our trip to the Polynesian in 93 days!
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
Old 02-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #1869
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

Do you have to call to book a cabana? where can I look to see if one would be available in June. if t is a washout, are you still obligated. I would assume so.

Does it get warmer in them, or does the air circulate fairly well? What time do you think is better for the 1/2 day.

Thanks!
Nov/Dec 2010 5 nights at the Poly with my 3 children
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 17 DS 14 DD 12 Sebastian 6
Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #1870
gypsydoodlebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314

gypsydoodlebug Thank You so much for those 2 pictures! I think after seeing them the Luau Cove side might work out better for us. Thank You Again
You're welcome! There is landscaping outside our marina view but the Luau Cove side walks out onto grass.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #1871
gypsydoodlebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8

These photos are getting me even more excited for our trip to the Polynesian in 93 days!
Here is a photo of Wishes from the pool!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #1872
AstroDad
Earning My Ears

Question - When you rent a boat from the marina, where are you allowed to go? Is there a roped off area you have to stay in or can I rent a pontoon boat and make my way all around Seven Seas Lagoon?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #1873
angbuz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Here is a photo of Wishes from the pool!

My mouth literally dropped open when I saw that photo......what a beautiful sight!!! I am so excited for our first Poly stay in August when we'll be able to see that sight every night if we want to. Thank you soooooo much for sharing that photo! It brightened up my night!!!!
August 2010 - BC
August 2013 - POLY :
Old 02-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #1874
gypsydoodlebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by angbuz

My mouth literally dropped open when I saw that photo......what a beautiful sight!!! I am so excited for our first Poly stay in August when we'll be able to see that sight every night if we want to. Thank you soooooo much for sharing that photo! It brightened up my night!!!!
Mine did, too, when I saw it start! My pork nachos from Captain Cook's took a backseat. (They were not very good and cold anyway. LOL)

Old 02-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #1875
Princess Bree
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the reply, GypsyDoodleBug !
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: