Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Nagle
Proud Canadian

Niagara Border Crossings

We are leaving Guelph, On tomorrow and heading over to Buffalo. Which bridge would be our best bet for a relatively quick border crossing? We did this last year after dropping our son off at school and got stuck in line at US Customs for an hour. Can't for the life of me remember which crosssing we used.
thanks
John
Nagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
dvc deernut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagle View Post
we are leaving guelph, on tomorrow and heading over to buffalo. Which bridge would be our best bet for a relatively quick border crossing? We did this last year after dropping our son off at school and got stuck in line at us customs for an hour. Can't for the life of me remember which crosssing we used.
Thanks
john
best bet would be the peace bridge. On labor day weekend they will be busier depending on when your crossing. Before you leave home go on the border crossings site for live web cam on the bridges. The signs leading up to the bridges can be misleading. Go early in the morning.
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagle View Post
We are leaving Guelph, On tomorrow and heading over to Buffalo. Which bridge would be our best bet for a relatively quick border crossing? We did this last year after dropping our son off at school and got stuck in line at US Customs for an hour. Can't for the life of me remember which crosssing we used.
thanks
John

Whatever you do, do NOT cross at Queenston/Lewiston. It is by far, the worst bridge to cross at. Lines will be insanely long. USUALLY, and I do only stress usually, your best bet would be to cross at Rainbow Bridge, which is in Niagara Falls, and go from there.

I will definitely second what DVC DEERNUT has posted. Go online and check out the webcams. But don't let them mislead you. Use those with posted wait times. The Rainbow can 'look' back, but they tend to move you quick. The Peace Bridge looks bad, it usually is bad:P And also, do try to go as early as you can. The earlier you cross, the better it will be.

Good luck, and I hope the border fairies are with you

Jenn
Old 09-02-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
KNovacovschi
DIS Veteran

I agree either Peace Or Rainbow Bridge. We went over on Sunday of the Civic holiday weekend and it took 2 hrs to get over the Queenston-Lewiston. Labor Day weekend will be even worse cause its the end of summer. Good luck with whichever you choose.

DD-16 DH-33 ME-36

Sept 17-23, 2006 - POP; Aug 12-18, 2007 - POP; Oct 14-20, 2012 - POP; Nov 17-23, 2013 - POP; Sept 27-Oct 4, 2014 - POP (adult only);
Sept 20-26, 2015 - POP (DM/DD trip)

I've been sprung....YEAH
KNovacovschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Before you leave check the border wait times online.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
pigletto
DIS Veteran

As a long time resident of the area I have NEVER found the Rainbow bridge better than the Peace Bridge in over 20 years. It's a main entry point for Niagara Falls cross border shopping and travelling and can get really bad. REALLY bad. Lewiston? Don't even try it.
We always use the Peace Bridge whenever possible and that will put you right in Buffalo. Others may have a different opinion, but that has been our experience every time.
My neighbour went over the lewiston bridge 2 weeks ago after work on a Tuesday and got stuck for over an hour. A holiday weekend would be a nightmare. It's just too small for weekend traffic.
We'll be coming back over the Peace Bridge tomorrow and I am expecting an hour or more but it would be worse at the Rainbow for sure.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
Nagle
Proud Canadian

Thanks folks. Crossed at Rainbow bridge at 9:15 this morning. 8 lanes open. We were about 10th in line. As we got close, the agent at the empty Nexus only line waved me over. 10 minutes total. Very successful. Thanks again.
Nagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
tamarabannon
Mouseketeer

I crossed Saturday morning, got there by 7:40 and it still took almost an hour to cross in. About the same coming out at about 2:00 pm.

I used Rainbow. Rarely takes me more than 15 -20 minutes though, and that's unusual.
tamarabannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

There's an app for bridge waits..I use that even though I have Nexus..
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

So many say to use the peace bridge cause there's hardly a wait. Well thats baloney! I just came back on the weekend, used the peacebridge there and back (Aug.24 depature, Sept 1 return) and there was a wait both times.

When i checked the border wait times for other bridges (rainbow & lewiston), it indicated there was no wait there, but at peacebridge there was 20-30 min wait. Ugh! Figures. I stuck with peacebridge thou cause those are the directions i had on me. Lol.

Overall, it was a very easy drive to the airport from the peacebridge, so no complaints about that. soooo easy to find. I love the buffalo airport!! No wait at all! I landed at 2pm and had my luggage by 210pm! by 220pm i was at my car!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie56 View Post
There's an app for bridge waits..I use that even though I have Nexus..
I gotta get a nexus!!!!!!! You can zip right thru!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

Old 09-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
So many say to use the peace bridge cause there's hardly a wait. Well thats baloney! I just came back on the weekend, used the peacebridge there and back (Aug.24 depature, Sept 1 return) and there was a wait both times.

When i checked the border wait times for other bridges (rainbow & lewiston), it indicated there was no wait there, but at peacebridge there was 20-30 min wait. Ugh! Figures. I stuck with peacebridge thou cause those are the directions i had on me. Lol.

Overall, it was a very easy drive to the airport from the peacebridge, so no complaints about that. soooo easy to find. I love the buffalo airport!! No wait at all! I landed at 2pm and had my luggage by 210pm! by 220pm i was at my car!

You gotta know when to use the Peace Bridge and when NOT to use the Peace Bridge. Living and working in Niagara, and specifically using that bridge as an emergency border crossing, it is about timing on that bridge. If that bridge is busy and backed up, it can take a long time to cross. They are not quick about it. Yet, if Rainbow is busy and backed up, they are usually quicker.

Summer on any of the Niagara bridges is busy. You have to know that. Peace Bridge tends to be the slowest. Rainbow while busy, is just due to tourists, and moves along really quick. Ive never had to wait long there. Even half way across the bridge, it's a 10-15 min wait.

Winter months, Queenston/Lewiston continues to be busy. Always is. But that's when the Rainbow and Peace are best to cross. Usually mid day during the week. Never a wait. Oddly enough, between 6-7 in the am, the Peace bridge can get busy, working Canadians going over.

The Peacebridge is not a bridge to typically use on weekends, especially a long weekend. Usually no bridge is, that bridge tends to get backed up onto the highway. It is nothing to have a 2hr wait.

Just a quick thought on the Nexus and the Peace Bridge, if that bridge is backed up, a Nexus is going to get you absolutely no where. You have to CROSS the bridge, and actually GET to the Nexus lane. Same with Rainbow Bridge, UNLESS you use the Whirlpool bridge.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicGoofy View Post
You gotta know when to use the Peace Bridge and when NOT to use the Peace Bridge. Living and working in Niagara, and specifically using that bridge as an emergency border crossing, it is about timing on that bridge. If that bridge is busy and backed up, it can take a long time to cross. They are not quick about it. Yet, if Rainbow is busy and backed up, they are usually quicker.

Summer on any of the Niagara bridges is busy. You have to know that. Peace Bridge tends to be the slowest. Rainbow while busy, is just due to tourists, and moves along really quick. Ive never had to wait long there. Even half way across the bridge, it's a 10-15 min wait.

Winter months, Queenston/Lewiston continues to be busy. Always is. But that's when the Rainbow and Peace are best to cross. Usually mid day during the week. Never a wait. Oddly enough, between 6-7 in the am, the Peace bridge can get busy, working Canadians going over.

The Peacebridge is not a bridge to typically use on weekends, especially a long weekend. Usually no bridge is, that bridge tends to get backed up onto the highway. It is nothing to have a 2hr wait.
See, i hardly ever cross the border, so i wouldnt know. Thanks for the info thou! Its very helpful. Guess in the future i'll have to pay attention the border-wait times online more carefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicGoofy
Just a quick thought on the Nexus and the Peace Bridge, if that bridge is backed up, a Nexus is going to get you absolutely no where. You have to CROSS the bridge, and actually GET to the Nexus lane. Same with Rainbow Bridge, UNLESS you use the Whirlpool bridge.
Yes i know exactly what you mean. I noticed that going into buffalo. Nexus wont help you if the line is long.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #14
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Nexus is of little help going in...when the line is long coming back into Canada though the lane opens up a lot sooner to make the cut! Overall though....crossing by land it's not an impressive difference. At Pearson though..ahhh it is!
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
SaraMc
DIS Veteran

We usually call the border # once we hit Jordan ON. It's 18007156722. Gives you the latest bridge traffic updates.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: