Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
HollandmillerFamily
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 82

Will past or present CMs PLEASE answer the do-you-want-candy question?!

I keep getting differing opinions on this and it seems it’s either, “Oh, our crew members told us they LOVE when we bring them candy!” or “My cousin/friend/old roommate was a CM and they're just being polite--candy really ends up in the trash. All they really want is cash.”

So, instead of all of us going back and forth on what we THINK they really like, this is a plea for replies ONLY from those who actually were or are CMs. The question is: What is/was your position and do you like it when we bring you candy? Phone cards? Soap baskets? Care packets? Is there anything you prefer other than cash? …Some of us want to bring you something special but we want to know it’s something you really want. (I know the question varies by staff position—some of you can keep it all to yourself and others, like kids’ group counselors have to pool it—so please tell us if that matters, too!)

Thanks SO much... I only have so much room in my suitcase and I don't want to waste it!

Edit: For clarification, this is in ADDITION to the recommended (or higher) tip.

Last edited by HollandmillerFamily; 09-02-2012 at 12:06 AM.
HollandmillerFamily is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
eggroll
eggroll
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 144

You guys are truly thoughtful. Class act
Thx teddy
eggroll is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
roxy84
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 274

As a past youth activities counselor we would ALWAYS eat the candy. Any time I got a phone card I gave it away as I didn't need it. Little bath/toiletry gifts are kinda personal (with scent likes/dislikes). I really liked getting thank you cards that were personalized. I also still have some personalized gifts from speciality cruises (bracelets, magnets, little cards etc). And as mentioned naming CM's on guest comment cards, or writing a letter to DCL about a crew member is a great way to complement and goes on the record card. My position was not a tipped position - so anything that was given as a gift was appreciated.

I cannot comment on the tipped position as crew, but I have worked as a server for WDW. While gifts or personalized cards are great, it is never really appreciated when in lieu of a recommended (or additional) tip.
roxy84 is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
auntie
It's a really lovely way to spend the afternoon
THAT does sound good ;)
Everything I type sounds wierd today
I am the underwear fairy
 
auntie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy84 View Post
As a past youth activities counselor we would ALWAYS eat the candy. Any time I got a phone card I gave it away as I didn't need it. Little bath/toiletry gifts are kinda personal (with scent likes/dislikes). I really liked getting thank you cards that were personalized. I also still have some personalized gifts from speciality cruises (bracelets, magnets, little cards etc). And as mentioned naming CM's on guest comment cards, or writing a letter to DCL about a crew member is a great way to complement and goes on the record card. My position was not a tipped position - so anything that was given as a gift was appreciated.

I cannot comment on the tipped position as crew, but I have worked as a server for WDW. While gifts or personalized cards are great, it is never really appreciated when in lieu of a recommended (or additional) tip.
__________________
~ Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?~ Clarence Oddbody
auntie is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Bonniec
DIS Veteran
 
Bonniec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,777

Quote:
I cannot comment on the tipped position as crew, but I have worked as a server for WDW. While gifts or personalized cards are great, it is never really appreciated when in lieu of a recommended (or additional) tip.
Would people actually do this INSTEAD of a tip? That almost seems insulting to me. But I'm glad the OP posted this. We always tip the recommended and when service is great, we go well above the recommended. Which means with Disney crew members, we usually tip very high. I've not been on DCL yet but from what I can see on these boards, it looks like service is exceptional.

So I am interested to hear from crew members too. I would never replace money. But if little gifts are appreciated, I would totally do something nice for someone who took care of us.



I'd also like to know how CMs REALLY feel about the autograph thing where people drop off stuff to get signed. I actually like the idea of the photo mat but I don't plan to do it because I feel like this might be a pain when it's not an official service (i.e. someone did it once, posted on a message board, and now the entire board expects it). I'd love it if Disney actually designed a picture frame like that. Either way, I'd love to know how they really feel.
__________________
Bonniec is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
jenseib
Mommy to Claire
 
jenseib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26,416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
Would people actually do this INSTEAD of a tip? That almost seems insulting to me. But I'm glad the OP posted this. We always tip the recommended and when service is great, we go well above the recommended. Which means with Disney crew members, we usually tip very high. I've not been on DCL yet but from what I can see on these boards, it looks like service is exceptional.

So I am interested to hear from crew members too. I would never replace money. But if little gifts are appreciated, I would totally do something nice for someone who took care of us.



I'd also like to know how CMs REALLY feel about the autograph thing where people drop off stuff to get signed. I actually like the idea of the photo mat but I don't plan to do it because I feel like this might be a pain when it's not an official service (i.e. someone did it once, posted on a message board, and now the entire board expects it). I'd love it if Disney actually designed a picture frame like that. Either way, I'd love to know how they really feel.
I am pretty sure it's a service. they have a form to fill out right at guest services.
jenseib is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
Bonniec
DIS Veteran
 
Bonniec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,777

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I am pretty sure it's a service. they have a form to fill out right at guest services.
Really? Oooh, maybe I will go for it then. Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack.
__________________
Bonniec is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
roxy84
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
Would people actually do this INSTEAD of a tip? That almost seems insulting to me. But I'm glad the OP posted this. We always tip the recommended and when service is great, we go well above the recommended. Which means with Disney crew members, we usually tip very high. I've not been on DCL yet but from what I can see on these boards, it looks like service is exceptional.
Yes people do give gifts in lieu of a tip or give a card. I have had people leave a card saying my tip money has been donated to charity, personalized cards saying great service etc but no tip or a severe under tip, gifts from their home country etc. While it is lovely that someone would take the effort to bring a gift or personalize something, as a server my income came from tips. Again this was not on DCL but at WDW.
roxy84 is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
tessasmom
Mouseketeer
 
tessasmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW Suburb of Chicago
Posts: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy84

Yes people do give gifts in lieu of a tip or give a card. I have had people leave a card saying my tip money has been donated to charity, personalized cards saying great service etc but no tip or a severe under tip, gifts from their home country etc. While it is lovely that someone would take the effort to bring a gift or personalize something, as a server my income came from tips. Again this was not on DCL but at WDW.
Now THAT is just wrong! "donated to charity" really?? Sounds like an excuse to get out of tipping!! No tip, under tip! Just not acceptable, but it takes all kinds I guess. Sorry these things have happened to any CM!
__________________
Julia Sam Tessa

AoA 11/2013~Fantasy Eastern 11/2013
DREAM 12/4/2011~ FANTASY 11/30/13~ AOA 11/28/13~POP 12/1/2011~WDW too many times to count as a child!
tessasmom is offline  
Old 09-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!
 
TXDCLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Highland Village Tx.
Posts: 1,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy84 View Post
Yes people do give gifts in lieu of a tip or give a card. I have had people leave a card saying my tip money has been donated to charity, personalized cards saying great service etc but no tip or a severe under tip, gifts from their home country etc. While it is lovely that someone would take the effort to bring a gift or personalize something, as a server my income came from tips. Again this was not on DCL but at WDW.
OMG....this is so WRONG
TXDCLfan is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
Tinknalli
DIS Veteran
 
Tinknalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vermont
Posts: 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
I am pretty sure it's a service. they have a form to fill out right at guest services.
Not according to the Passporter Guide. While I am not positive, they report that cast members provide this service on their own time (outside their already long shifts) and this should be considered when making a request. The form could have been created by a cast member to keep the requests they receive organized.
__________________
2/98 All Star Music, 5/00 Port Orleans, 01/05 All Star Movies, 04/07 Pop Century, 10/08 Port Orleans Riverside, 04/10 Port Orleans French Quarter, 04/12 Disney Fantasy and Port Orleans Riverside, 04/14 Pop Century and Disney Fantasy

Tinknalli is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
jenseib
Mommy to Claire
 
jenseib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 26,416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinknalli View Post
Not according to the Passporter Guide. While I am not positive, they report that cast members provide this service on their own time (outside their already long shifts) and this should be considered when making a request. The form could have been created by a cast member to keep the requests they receive organized.
Can you tell me where that is at in the book? I have a couple of copies and don't remember coming across it ever.
jenseib is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #13
GeneMachine
Mouseketeer
 
GeneMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy84 View Post
I have had people leave a card saying my tip money has been donated to charity


And who is taking the deduction? Yeah, that's a great tip. I wonder if it went to the Human Fund.

I am not a CM, but I feel pretty sure MONEY instead of candy is always appreciated. Cold, hard cash helps us pack light and spread some happiness in our wake.
__________________
~July 2011 Med Cruise~
~May 2012 Bahamas~
~July 2013 Med Cruise~
~July 2014 Greek Isles~
GeneMachine is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #14
DisneyMomto3Boys
Earning My Ears
 
DisneyMomto3Boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy84 View Post
Yes people do give gifts in lieu of a tip or give a card. I have had people leave a card saying my tip money has been donated to charity, personalized cards saying great service etc but no tip or a severe under tip, gifts from their home country etc. While it is lovely that someone would take the effort to bring a gift or personalize something, as a server my income came from tips. Again this was not on DCL but at WDW.
OMG! That is SO crazy!! We always tip 20%, even when the service is less than stellar, which unfortunately was the case at one of our faves at Epcot last summer. =(
__________________

"Of all the silly nonsense, this is the stupidest tea party I've ever been to in all my life." -Alice
2002 - AKL
2008 - AKL
2009 - All Star Movies + MNSSHP
2010 - Waldorf Astoria + MNSSHP
2011 - Pop Century
2012 - Disney Dream Cruise
2013- WDW for MNSSHP
DisneyMomto3Boys is offline  
Old 09-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
lmhall2000
May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you in the palm of His Hand.
 
lmhall2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Space town, AL
Posts: 5,476

I actually recall it being listed in the Navigator or room notebook that you need to submit what you want signed to guest services and that it will be returned to your stateroom before you leave...for me, if it is in print, it is official...I only have one item to sign to be courteous to other requests...we get the photo mat and pick a good picture to put in it
__________________

lmhall2000 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.