Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
Marlin0305
Earning My Ears

Universal Hotels - kids ages 8 and 10

Does anyone have an opinion on the best Universal hotel for families (DD10 and DD8)? For example, I think my girls would love the music of the HRH, although I have read that the pool is better suited for adults. Any other thoughts on atmosphere, restaurants, etc?
Marlin0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
legaleagal
Earning My Ears

We are staying at Portofino Bay for the 1st time, our son is 13. I thought about Hard Rock but I thought the music would get old after a while and I have read that the PB is the nicest of the 3 hotels plus PB has the largest rooms .
legaleagal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Melanie230
Ready to retire in Florida. Trading my Mommy title for a Mummy title!

Our kids absolutely LOVE the Hard Rock hotel. It is their favorite place to stay. We are staying at PBH this time. We have been to RPR and HRH, and they love HRH. My kids first stay at HRH was when they were about your kids age. They have the big slide. I think the HRH pool is very kid friendly.
March 2006 Royal Pacific; June 2007 Hard Rock Hotel; October 2008 Hard Rock Hotel; October 2009 Pop Century; October 2010 Pop Century; October 2011 Hard Rock Hotel; September/October 2012 Portofino Bay Hotel
Melanie230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
tajz90
Mama D

HRH is by far our favorite. It seems the closest to the parks in terms of walking distance. The pool is awesome. My little one spent a lot of good times swimming there. They will show movies and or play games in the evenings at the pool.

There is a great and cheap ice cream shop (cheap compared to most theme park treats).

The hotel rooms all have Keurig Coffee makers

We love it!
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
Marlin0305
Earning My Ears

Thanks, glad for the feedback.
Marlin0305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
HRH is by far our favorite. It seems the closest to the parks in terms of walking distance. The pool is awesome. My little one spent a lot of good times swimming there. They will show movies and or play games in the evenings at the pool.

There is a great and cheap ice cream shop (cheap compared to most theme park treats).

The hotel rooms all have Keurig Coffee makers

We love it!
all 3 of the onsite hotels offer that.

dive in movies, pool activities, games, keurigs in all hotel rooms, food beverage pool side service.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraven

all 3 of the onsite hotels offer that.

dive in movies, pool activities, games, keurigs in all hotel rooms, food beverage pool side service.
The only other hotel we have stayed at was the Royal Pacific. It was too far in our opinion. It didn't have a Keurig, but it was years ago. Between the two, we prefer HRH.

We are staying at the Portofino this Christmas because we waited too late and the HRH was old out. Relieved to hear that there will be a Keurig available.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

We have had numerous stays at all 3. Even after all these years we still stay at all 3. The kids, now teens favor HRH. Have a look at some pics and decide what theme grabs you. All 3 hotels, pools included are kid friendly. Also, you can pool hop no matter where you stay. HRH will be closest but all are relatively close and have easy access to everything.

Try one then next time try another! Let us know what ya pick!
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
The only other hotel we have stayed at was the Royal Pacific. It was too far in our opinion. It didn't have a Keurig, but it was years ago. Between the two, we prefer HRH.

We are staying at the Portofino this Christmas because we waited too late and the HRH was old out. Relieved to hear that there will be a Keurig available.
2 years ago we stayed at Portofino for Christmas. I think you made a perfect choice. They decorate so beautifully and every evening Santa and Mrs Claus come out onto the Piazza and walk around while Christmas music is playing. We visited the other 2 and it didn't feel like Christmas like it did at Portofino.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
sn00zn
Mouseketeer

I have stayed with my three kids at Portofino Bay and Royal Pacific. I like the PBH a little better as far as the rooms and the atmosphere. My oldest (teen) daughter stayed at the HRH last trip with her twenty-something cousin and now loves that hotel best, but I think it may have as much to do with the cousin as with the hotel! My younger kids (who were about your kids' ages last trip) prefer the PBH and RPR pools. They don't really have a hotel preference otherwise.

One thing to think about is the restaurants. We have some food restrictions -- three celiacs, two vegetarians, one lactose-intolerant. We have found the RPR and HRH main restaurants the most accommodating (really, can't praise them highly enough!) to all our weird food requirements. Of course you can go to the other hotels, but I like the convenience of doing most meals where we're staying. Even if you don't have these kind of restrictions, it may be worth thinking of what kind of cuisine you want to have most easily available.

But all three hotels are great, so I think you'll be happy no matter which you choose!
November 2004: Royal Pacific Resort with DH, kids (11, 6, 4), my parents, sister, brother-in-law, niece and nephew
August 2004: Portofino Bay Hotel with DH and kids (11, 6, 4)
December 2002: offsite, Disney and Universal with DH, kids (9, 4, 2), my parents, sister, brother-in-law, and DH's parents
July 2000: Yacht Club with DH, kids (7, 2, 7 mos), and my parents
sn00zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
crostorfer
Gryffindor Gal

My 9 year old was in heaven at the Royal Pacific. We had an amazing time. And yes, Keurig's are standard in every room, with Emeril's coffee pods.

crostorfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by crostorfer
My 9 year old was in heaven at the Royal Pacific. We had an amazing time. And yes, Keurig's are standard in every room, with Emeril's coffee pods.
Well, that's awesome! We have only stayed at HRH for the last several years, so we had no idea that Keurigs are standard at all Universal Hotels. That makes me happy for our Portofino Cmas stay!!!!

It's the little things that make me happy . I will still miss HRH...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: