Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #76
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
So glad you guys got to take advantage of the AP early entry! Great pics of Carsland and RSR. It was neat to see the queue, as we only rode with FP, so missed out on much of the details. Pictures still hardly do it justice, though. The ride is so much fun and the animatronics are like nothing ever seen. I for one would not mind them putting it in Florida, and I would want RSR in tact.

As far as Luigi's goes, THAT's the ride they could skip in Florida! We still had the beachballs - and I thought they added a bit of fun to what was ultimately a pretty boring ride. It gave the ride an objective - which was to try and scoop up a beachball. Otherwise it would be just leaning and trying to slowly move around the floor. I agree, more than a 10 minute wait makes that one completely skippable.
Waking up that early was brutal, but it was so worth it for the early entry. And I was glad we got to see the standby queue at least once, since we used single rider the rest of the time.

Oh yes, if Cars Land becomes a reality in WDW, I sure do hope they leave Luigi's behind. Nice concept, but not a great ride at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
OMGosh! How cute! It looks just like the movie. I really hope they bring this to Disney World. I wonder if they will since they have a similar ride in Test Track. I'll take this over Avatarland any day!
I'm reading a big thread about Avatarland over on the theme parks board right now. I just canNOT get myself excited over it! I really did not enjoy Avatar seeing it after all the hype surrounding it. And I don't think it fits in with AK, nor do I think it will bring over as many guests to AK as they are thinking it will. Hopefully it quietly goes the way of Hyperion Wharf at DTD...

It would be really awesome if they did something like Cars Land in DHS...another area to be family friendly at that park. DH and I loved DHS as just a couple and spent a lot of our WDW time there, but now with DS we find we don't spend much time there because the only ride he can do that is not 20+ minutes long and killing his attention span is TSM. Hopefully this year we can try our more shows there to give us more to do in that park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtr_angel View Post
Cars Land looks absolutely amazing!!! I bet Paxton would love it!!!
I think he would too. Hopefully in a few years we can take a trip back out that way so he can fully experience it!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #77
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I'm reading a big thread about Avatarland over on the theme parks board right now. I just canNOT get myself excited over it! I really did not enjoy Avatar seeing it after all the hype surrounding it. And I don't think it fits in with AK, nor do I think it will bring over as many guests to AK as they are thinking it will. Hopefully it quietly goes the way of Hyperion Wharf at DTD...
Completely agree and share the same feelings with you about Avatarland. When they first announced the project, it just didn't seem like a good fit. James Cameron (as much as I love most of his movies, Avatar not so much) has such a singular vision of his own projects that I didn't think he would be able to mesh and work well with the Disney Imagineers. Disney has such a huge cache of Pixar movies to tap into for its future projects, I would rather have them spend the money and time on those rather than Avatar.

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

DaveinFallsChurch is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #78
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
Completely agree and share the same feelings with you about Avatarland. When they first announced the project, it just didn't seem like a good fit. James Cameron (as much as I love most of his movies, Avatar not so much) has such a singular vision of his own projects that I didn't think he would be able to mesh and work well with the Disney Imagineers. Disney has such a huge cache of Pixar movies to tap into for its future projects, I would rather have them spend the money and time on those rather than Avatar.
I"ve heard it's been pushed back already because Cameron & Disney have 'creative differences.' You think? I never thought it was a good idea because while there are sequels planned, right now there is only one movie. It may not have any staying power. It's not like Harry Potter. A better option would have been Lord of the Rings but I don't see how that would tie in with AK either. As long as they don't build a Twilightland, we're good.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #79
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not to go too far OT, but I don't get all the dislike for "Avatarland". The movie wasn't great, but the concept for Animal Kingdom is actually pretty fitting - you do realize that "Avatar" was essentially "Pocahantas" with Sci-Fi trappings.

I look at it this way...most Disney fans wanted "Beastly Kingdom" built at AK, right? Well, if done right, this is essentially "Beastly Kingdom", just with different versions of Dragons and Unicorns.

I think Disney made a big mistake announcing that deal without any details or concept art. However, they wanted an investment of that size (half a billion $) to have some sort of name recognition. And not just in the US, worldwide. "Beastly Kingdom" peaks very little interest, "Avatar" at least gets people interested. In the end it will be quality of the product that gets you going and going back. If Universal had bought "Harry Potter" and then put up a shoddy park, no one would be going by now.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #80
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Carsland just looks absolutely incredible. I would definitely love to see it added to WDW. Anything to add more attractions that can be enjoyed by the whole family would be a nice addition to the Studios for sure.

I'm glad that you were able to get there early enough to take a couple of rides on RSR before the line got really backed up.

As for the Avatar discussion... well, let's just say I'm not that excited about that prospect. I really didn't even like the movie. I guess Disney's gonna do what they wanna do though. I just hope that if they do go forward with it, they make it something awesome, but I would definitely rather see Disney or Pixar movies represented in the parks.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #81
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post

Quote:
I"ve heard it's been pushed back already because Cameron & Disney have 'creative differences.' You think? I never thought it was a good idea because while there are sequels planned, right now there is only one movie. It may not have any staying power. It's not like Harry Potter. A better option would have been Lord of the Rings but I don't see how that would tie in with AK either. As long as they don't build a Twilightland, we're good.
Oh man, would I love to see a LOTR land/park ANYWHERE! Love it, probably even a little more than Harry Potter. I would love to walk through the Shire, the mines of Moria, Mordor, etc. That would be AMAZING! Doesn't fit with AK for sure, probably would be better suited for Universal, but only if they could go big with it, I think. I actually enjoyed Twilight for what it is (definitely NOT a literary masterpiece or a memorable film, but enjoyable), but Twilightland is an absolute NO NO!!

Quote:
Not to go too far OT, but I don't get all the dislike for "Avatarland". The movie wasn't great, but the concept for Animal Kingdom is actually pretty fitting - you do realize that "Avatar" was essentially "Pocahantas" with Sci-Fi trappings.

I look at it this way...most Disney fans wanted "Beastly Kingdom" built at AK, right? Well, if done right, this is essentially "Beastly Kingdom", just with different versions of Dragons and Unicorns.

I think Disney made a big mistake announcing that deal without any details or concept art. However, they wanted an investment of that size (half a billion $) to have some sort of name recognition. And not just in the US, worldwide. "Beastly Kingdom" peaks very little interest, "Avatar" at least gets people interested. In the end it will be quality of the product that gets you going and going back. If Universal had bought "Harry Potter" and then put up a shoddy park, no one would be going by now.
I agree, it's the same basic conservation story as Pocahontas, so why not do something with Pocahontas? I get it, Pocahontas is not as cool as trying to recreate Pandora. But I guess I would rather see the long rumored Australia section of the park come to fruition WAY more than Avatar. I just didn't think the movie was all that great to need or deserve a section of a Disney park, regardless of its message. But that's just my opinion, of course. I guess the powers that be at Disney must have some insight on this being a good idea or they wouldn't be pouring so much money into it. I guess what bugs me the most is that I could see them doing so much more with the money that is instead being put into an Avatar attraction/land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Carsland just looks absolutely incredible. I would definitely love to see it added to WDW. Anything to add more attractions that can be enjoyed by the whole family would be a nice addition to the Studios for sure.

I'm glad that you were able to get there early enough to take a couple of rides on RSR before the line got really backed up.

As for the Avatar discussion... well, let's just say I'm not that excited about that prospect. I really didn't even like the movie. I guess Disney's gonna do what they wanna do though. I just hope that if they do go forward with it, they make it something awesome, but I would definitely rather see Disney or Pixar movies represented in the parks.
Totally agree on the Studios. It used to be our favorite park after MK until we brought DS for the first time and realized that aside from shows and TSM, there wasn't a lot we could enjoy as a family. I'm hoping DS will at least sit through a show or two this year to make visiting DHS worthwhile.

I agree, I would rather see them do more with their own library of movies and characters instead of putting a lot of money and time into Avatar. But again, that's just my opinion. And I hope like you that if they do move forward with Avatar, they at least make it something spectacular instead of thrown together and mediocre.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 09-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #82
jthomas1
Earning My Ears

everybody needs more cowbell
jthomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #83
khertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas1 View Post
everybody needs more cowbell

And I see you are new to the DIS....
Old 09-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #84
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh man, would I love to see a LOTR land/park ANYWHERE! Love it, probably even a little more than Harry Potter. I would love to walk through the Shire, the mines of Moria, Mordor, etc. That would be AMAZING! Doesn't fit with AK for sure, probably would be better suited for Universal, but only if they could go big with it, I think. I actually enjoyed Twilight for what it is (definitely NOT a literary masterpiece or a memorable film, but enjoyable), but Twilightland is an absolute NO NO!!
I would go to Twilightland for one reason and one reason only. If they had a Jacob look alike that posed for pictures with his shirt off. Picture taken and I'm out!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #85
KTgE
Mouseketeer

I'm here and caught up! It's been a wild few weeks...anyways, glad your trip out west was great. Sorry that y'all came home to a hurricane/tropical storm. I was thinking about y'all when it came to shore and hoping that y'all were ok. My best friend is a doctor in NOLA. She did her undergrad and masters at Tulane before coming back to GA for med school...they just moved back this summer when she graduated. Anyways, she helped evacuate Tulane when Katrina came and then did search/rescue in the weeks following. I was worried about them and really the timing of this storm. The anniversary of Katrina is tough and then when you put a new storm on top of that it can be a lot. Thankfully, they were ok and got by with little damage. I'm sorry about your parents house. Glad they are ok!

Back to Disney...your Carsland pictures are wonderful! Oh my goodness they did an incredible job with it. My husband was like we really need to plan a trip out there so we can see it in person. Are you getting excited about your WDW trip? It's just around the corner along with Paxton's birthday.
KTgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #86
Leger13
DIS Veteran

I had every intention of keeping up with you this time. Sheesh! Will have to go back and catch up!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #87
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would go to Twilightland for one reason and one reason only. If they had a Jacob look alike that posed for pictures with his shirt off. Picture taken and I'm out!
I want a "spidermonkey" ride with Edward through the tops of the trees!! There could be an Italian restaurant with mushroom ravioli. I digress.

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL). Next: Feb15(OKW) & Nov15(DCL Magic). Other: Nov13(VBR), Oct14 (DCL Dream), Nov14(VBR)
Future DVC owner at Disney's Hyperion Resort in 2053!

Past Trip Reports: WDW Oct 07 - DLR "back home"
tofubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #88
tofubeast
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is a very interesting argument for AvLand. I concur.

Grew up with DL & also went back in 08(CCI); WDW: 90, 06(POFQ), 07(CSR), Apr09(CSR), Jun09(SSR), Oct09(POP), Sep11(POP), Dec12(BCV/AoA), May13(POP), Aug13, Oct13(BLT), May14(AKV Jambo), Oct14(VWL). Next: Feb15(OKW) & Nov15(DCL Magic). Other: Nov13(VBR), Oct14 (DCL Dream), Nov14(VBR)
Future DVC owner at Disney's Hyperion Resort in 2053!

Past Trip Reports: WDW Oct 07 - DLR "back home"
tofubeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #89
khertz

Quote:
Now that's an idea I could get behind!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTgE View Post
I'm here and caught up! It's been a wild few weeks...anyways, glad your trip out west was great. Sorry that y'all came home to a hurricane/tropical storm. I was thinking about y'all when it came to shore and hoping that y'all were ok. My best friend is a doctor in NOLA. She did her undergrad and masters at Tulane before coming back to GA for med school...they just moved back this summer when she graduated. Anyways, she helped evacuate Tulane when Katrina came and then did search/rescue in the weeks following. I was worried about them and really the timing of this storm. The anniversary of Katrina is tough and then when you put a new storm on top of that it can be a lot. Thankfully, they were ok and got by with little damage. I'm sorry about your parents house. Glad they are ok!

Back to Disney...your Carsland pictures are wonderful! Oh my goodness they did an incredible job with it. My husband was like we really need to plan a trip out there so we can see it in person. Are you getting excited about your WDW trip? It's just around the corner along with Paxton's birthday.
Thanks for your thoughts. Isaac really did a number on my parents like Katrina did 7 years ago. In Katrina, they lost their business. My mom's daycare caught on fire, and because there was no water pressure, the firefighters couldn't put it out and the building burned to the ground. Seven years later, their house floods for the first time in 27 years! They have most of the work done on their end, and then their friend who does home repair & remodeling is taking over with his portion of the job, so hopefully they are back in their house soon.

I think everyone needs to see Cars Land in person, they did such an amazing job with every last detail! Plus, it's an excuse to take another Disney trip, who doesn't want that?!

I'm definitely getting excited about the trip, although I feel like it's sneaking up on me sometimes and I don't feel prepared! With Paxton's birthday party coming up, I feel like I need to get past all of that planning and then I can really focus on nailing down the final things for WDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leger13 View Post
I had every intention of keeping up with you this time. Sheesh! Will have to go back and catch up!
Sorry, I am trying to get through it before we go to WDW, but I don't know if that's going to happen with everything I have had and will have going on!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubeast View Post
I want a "spidermonkey" ride with Edward through the tops of the trees!! There could be an Italian restaurant with mushroom ravioli. I digress.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #90
KTgE
Mouseketeer

I hear you on things sneaking up on you! AG's birthday is 3.5 weeks post Christmas. Every year I tell myself to get it planned before hand and every year I'm like let me just get past Christmas and then I can focus on his birthday! Inevitably I feel rushed at the end! Oh, well. Maybe I'll get my act together this year since I am not pregnant nor do I have a new baby to use as an excuse like the last two years.
KTgE is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: