Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Doing the Happy Dance!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #1591
jimjenkids
Mouseketeer

called and requested paper rect of payment as well as an email....did it once and they have sent it everytime!....got a bit excited to get a piece of Mickey mail....the final rect for our trip showing a $0 balance due! It seems nice to get a bit of "happy" mail! after sitting and going over our plans and the 3 ADRs we have, I was a bit saddened to let one go, but only 2 of us wanted it and the majority ruled, so saddly I canceled our ADRs to the Garden Grill last night.....bein ga family of 6, even if we would have upgraded, we would have spent more OOP for tips than we wanted. my kids arent big eaters and prefer the qs.....maybe next trip, but til then I will be happy that we are going and all is paid!

2012:xmas-Pop century, 2010:CBC, 2008:ASMovie, 2000:Movies, 1999: sports, 1995:POF, 1984:Polly

Old 09-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #1592
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees
Don't apply for a job there! DUH!!!!!
Dork/geeky or just plain scary. You be the judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALDSMD View Post
We have MVMCP tickets for December 6th that we got way before they announced the grandopening of Fantasyland. Do you think the grandopening is going to make the Christmas Party crazy busy or busier than it would have been? I'm probably the only person not excited about the grandopening being during their very first December trip.
I recently read about the grand opening as well. December 6th is our second day at MK with the steam train tour booked for the morning. After reading about the grand opening, I've been wondering how crowded it's gonna be. We're already leaving a little early for our ADR at Kona's.

ETA: Wow! I out of the house for about 4 hours and away from the DISboards for about 5 or so and already 4-5 pages have gone by We will have no problem hitting the 250 mark if this keeps up

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor

Last edited by cybrkitn; 09-26-2012 at 02:48 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #1593
rachdd
Mouseketeer

I just have to share this here with people who will understand...

So, a good friend of mine called me yesterday for a little help with Disney. Turns out they are surprising their two boys and going to WDW Thanksgiving week. She is aware that it is going to be crowded BUT, here is the kicker... they only have 1 ADR for a 7 day trip!

Needless to say I am going over to her house tomorrow for a little Disney Boot Camp. Hopefully she can find a couple of TS ADR's and then I am going to "school" her on CS.

Wish me and her luck!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #1594
levenhopper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachdd View Post

So, a good friend of mine called me yesterday for a little help with Disney. Turns out they are surprising their two boys and going to WDW Thanksgiving week. She is aware that it is going to be crowded BUT, here is the kicker... they only have 1 ADR for a 7 day trip!

Needless to say I am going over to her house tomorrow for a little Disney Boot Camp. Hopefully she can find a couple of TS ADR's and then I am going to "school" her on CS.

Wish me and her luck!
If it were me, at this point I'd be preaching that the trip will be what they make of it. If they walk in expecting to eat wherever/whenever they want, they'll be disappointed. Likewise, if they are expecting to walk straight onto every ride, they're in for a surprise. But, if they can put their expectations in the right places, they can still have an awesome trip.

Some people don't necessarily like ADRs and fully planned trips. I know we all like plans, and love working on our PTRs, but we're in the minority of people going to Disney (besides, if they didn't like planning, why would they be on the DIS, lol). Hundreds of thousands of people walk through the turnstiles every year at Disney, and I'd bet a good number of them haven't even heard of an ADR before. But, they still have a good time, and a good number of them keep going back.

And who knows, depending on the age of the boys, maybe QSs are the way to go for them. No matter what, if they have the right outlook/expectation of what will happen without ADRs, I bet they'll have a good time.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #1595
rachdd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levenhopper View Post
If it were me, at this point I'd be preaching that the trip will be what they make of it. If they walk in expecting to eat wherever/whenever they want, they'll be disappointed. Likewise, if they are expecting to walk straight onto every ride, they're in for a surprise. But, if they can put their expectations in the right places, they can still have an awesome trip.

Some people don't necessarily like ADRs and fully planned trips. I know we all like plans, and love working on our PTRs, but we're in the minority of people going to Disney (besides, if they didn't like planning, why would they be on the DIS, lol). Hundreds of thousands of people walk through the turnstiles every year at Disney, and I'd bet a good number of them haven't even heard of an ADR before. But, they still have a good time, and a good number of them keep going back.

And who knows, depending on the age of the boys, maybe QSs are the way to go for them. No matter what, if they have the right outlook/expectation of what will happen without ADRs, I bet they'll have a good time.
OH, I fully agree! My husband does NOT like being on to tight of a schedule so we try to keep a happy medium with my planning and his eat when I am hungry. UGH!!

With that said, and knowing this family, they will be fine with CS some of the time but they are going to want some TS meals so hopefully she will be able to find a few.

They have a good attitude about know it will be crowded so hopefully she will use a touring plan and make the most out of it.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #1596
grrrlennyl
Mouseketeer

Yeah, I bet if they are OK with a decent amount of counter service meals and are flexible, they'll have a great time.

That said, I am a Planner, so I am trying to nail down some of my ADRs. I'm going to do lunch at LTT, but need to wait until I figure out when we're going to 'Ohana first. However, since we are planning on going to LTT and have added CRT, I'm thinking we should ditch our ADRs at The Wave. We are already planning on paying OOP at LTT and I think doing a full meal at The Wave would be too much, given how things are shaking out. Any thoughts?

My alternate plan for the night we were supposed to go to The Wave is to do a monorail bar / cupcake crawl, ending up at the Poly for Wishes.

ETA: AHHHH! The wave just changed their menus. Hmm...the desserts look good, but they'll probably change by December, right? Maybe I'll hold off on dropping those ADRs.

June 1990 - Grand Floridian, off-property ~ June 1997 - Dixie Landings: Alligator Bayou ~ September 2005 - Port Orleans - French Quarter ~ December 2011 - All-Star Movies (Toy Story) ~ December 2012 - Art of Animation (Little Mermaid) ~ October 2013 - All-Star Music

8 days, All-Star Movies
Old 09-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #1597
levenhopper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OH, I fully agree! My husband does NOT like being on to tight of a schedule so we try to keep a happy medium with my planning and his eat when I am hungry. UGH!!

With that said, and knowing this family, they will be fine with CS some of the time but they are going to want some TS meals so hopefully she will be able to find a few.

They have a good attitude about know it will be crowded so hopefully she will use a touring plan and make the most out of it.
Haha. That's kinda what we are doing. Abby and I reached an understanding (for lack of a better word), where I'm making ADRs for all the meals I want (usually two per day, sometimes one, one day has three), but we're not planning what order we're doing rides or anything like that. Besides having our parks chosen and ADRs made, we're not doing any other planning.

Sorry, I didn't mean to overreact at you. I've seen a few threads on TPaS where people have friends who they find out are going to Disney without plans, and the things they say they're going to say to their friends make me worry that the friends will be scared of Disney. :/. I didn't think you'd do that, but when I saw "boot camp" I got a little worried.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #1598
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by levenhopper

Try calling in. Others are having that issue, but are able to book what they need when calling.
Ok, the discount was still available. It's just a website problem. So the rooms are booked.

I also rescheduled the Segway Tour. Even if FIL goes, there's no way he'll be able to do the Segway Tour. So if they go we'll cancel it all together. If they don't go, I moved it to a different day for DH and DSis. I also rebooked Cape May; that's what DS10 and I will be doing while they're on the tour. One interesting note, after all the rigamarole about the new tour changing times, now they're still booking them at 7:45. So it's an hour longer but the starting time doesn't change. So that's good news!

It's a good thing I'm organized. I now have two completely different plans with a list of what needs to be changed/ cancelled for each. I can't do much more though until I know definitively.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #1599
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrlennyl

ETA: AHHHH! The wave just changed their menus. Hmm...the desserts look good, but they'll probably change by December, right? Maybe I'll hold off on dropping those ADRs.
As a general rule, the menu changes come twice a year - before summer and after summer. Individual restaurants may make other changes, of course. But Disney restaurants don't really change that often. So the menus coming out now will generally be the ones we get for Dec.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #1600
grrrlennyl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tltorrez View Post
As a general rule, the menu changes come twice a year - before summer and after summer. Individual restaurants may make other changes, of course. But Disney restaurants don't really change that often. So the menus coming out now will generally be the ones we get for Dec.
Ah, good to know. They have a lot of "autumn blahblah" noted in their menu, so I'm thinking there may be other changes since they're sustainable or something like that. Hmm...

June 1990 - Grand Floridian, off-property ~ June 1997 - Dixie Landings: Alligator Bayou ~ September 2005 - Port Orleans - French Quarter ~ December 2011 - All-Star Movies (Toy Story) ~ December 2012 - Art of Animation (Little Mermaid) ~ October 2013 - All-Star Music

8 days, All-Star Movies
Old 09-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #1601
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees

Quote:

Wish me and her luck!
Are they on the DDP or QSP? If DDP, they may have a hard time getting some ADR's for some of the restaurants. We're going 11/29-12/8 and I'm already finding out that some of our choices are not available. Of course, we're also going during Pop Warner week, so that may have something to do with no availability for us.

Good luck!

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
Old 09-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #1602
rachdd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Haha. That's kinda what we are doing. Abby and I reached an understanding (for lack of a better word), where I'm making ADRs for all the meals I want (usually two per day, sometimes one, one day has three), but we're not planning what order we're doing rides or anything like that. Besides having our parks chosen and ADRs made, we're not doing any other planning.

Sorry, I didn't mean to overreact at you. I've seen a few threads on TPaS where people have friends who they find out are going to Disney without plans, and the things they say they're going to say to their friends make me worry that the friends will be scared of Disney. :/. I didn't think you'd do that, but when I saw "boot camp" I got a little worried.

LOL, my husband has become a believer in all of the planning and research I do but the one thing I can't do is plan to many of his meals. I mean I can't for the life of me understand why he can't plan when he is going to be hungry at WDW!

I didn't think you were overreacting and I know exactly what you mean. By bootcamp I mean am going to sit with her and go over her best options and help her with a general plan so that they can enjoy themselves and not worry about the crowds!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #1603
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tltorrez View Post
Do you know how much of a turn-around-time there is between a restaurant changing their menu and Disney Dining updating their system/web site?

I called Disney Dining to ask about the recent change to Kona Cafe's menu and the CM I spoke with told me that she didn't see any changes. When she inquired about it, nothing was coming up . The changes are enough that it no longer appeals to us.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #1604
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrkitn

Do you know how much of a turn-around-time there is between a restaurant changing their menu and Disney Dining updating their system/web site?

I called Disney Dining to ask about the recent change to Kona Cafe's menu and the CM I spoke with told me that she didn't see any changes. When she inquired about it, nothing was coming up . The changes are enough that it no longer appeals to us.
The turn around time on *all* the Disney website is very slow, sometimes weeks. I use this site, WDWInfo for dining menus. It shows that Kona Dinner was updated this month. Lunch and breakfast were updated in Aug.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #1605
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We're exactly the same - we plan which park which day and our ADRs then we just wing it in between. That way, even though you do have a plan, it doesn't seem like it. If that makes sense.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: