Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
2 weeks at WDW for less than $5,000? You want to plan my vacation for me?
Sure. Any time. My wife, daughter (16) and I went for 2 weeks in 2009, 2010 and 2011. We didn't break $5,000 on any of those trips. And I don't think we've ever broken $2,500 on a one-week trip.

ETA: I see that you have 3 kids so that would obviously affect your numbers. There are only 3 of us, not 5. Though if you can drive there, transportation and accommodations remain the same price. Only food and park passes go up.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom47 View Post
Not all NJ beaches are free. But just like in SC, the towns have different personalities. So it could all depend on which town you chose to vacation in.
I agree though, that the perception is a WDW vacation is costly.
MrsPete, we've vacationed in MB...for a baseball tournament. Didn't realize that was it's nickname.
But if you're renting a place at the beach, you don't have to pay for the beach ALSO, do you?

Yes, the nickname is well-deserved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Exactly. Many people have the perception that a week at Disney is way more than it actually is. I've spoken to people who were assuming it would be a $5,000 trip for them to take their family. They were pleasantly surprised when I told them they could easily do 2 weeks for less than that much.

Over the years I've spoken to many people who wanted to go and thought they couldn't afford it when in reality it was no more expensive, or even less expensive, than vacations they were already taking.
Worded that way, I agree. I suppose the idea comes from the fact that it's very possible to spend a large amount of money on a Disney trip, so people who aren't inclined to price things out for themselves may easily assume that you HAVE TO spend a large amount for a Disney trip.

Another example is cruises. I'd always assumed they were very expensive -- out of our price range. But when I actually looked into it, I found that off-season and lower-priced cabins are actually quite affordable. Add in choosing a cruise that sails from a drive-able city, opt for moderation in onboard spending and excursions, and it's a reasonably priced trip.

In contrast, I've tried to put together a New York City trip for a decent price, and I seem to come up empty on that account.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-31-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Sure. Any time. My wife, daughter (16) and I went for 2 weeks in 2009, 2010 and 2011. We didn't break $5,000 on any of those trips.
I wish I could go away somewhere for 2 whole weeks. I'd even take the Jersey shore
(Not a DIS on the shore, in fact we are leaving for LBI later this afternoon )
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
But why does it baffle you? Is it because it can be cheaper, and you don't understand why people wouldn't want their vacation to be cheaper?
Some things are worth the cost, staying onsite may be for them, not sure why that would baffle anyone since everyone vacations differently.
No, I understand that for some people cost may not be a concern, and they may not want their vacation to be cheaper. I even understand why someone would look at their other options, as you said you did, and decide that onsite is worth it to them. I also understand how some people fall victim to the Disney marketing machine and do not consider staying offsite because they are convinced you have to stay on property to have a good WDW vacation. I don't understand why these particular friends of ours, who do not have unlimited budgets and are willing to research any other purchasing decision extensively, become so overwhelmed and confused by the thought of looking into onsite options that they don't want to look into it.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPete View Post
In contrast, I've tried to put together a New York City trip for a decent price, and I seem to come up empty on that account.
It depends on what you want to do once you get there. You can get reasonable accommodations in the area, just not in the center of town. And you can get discount show tickets. It just depends on what you're looking for.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #21
disneysteve

Quote:
I wish I could go away somewhere for 2 whole weeks. I'd even take the Jersey shore
We did our first 2-week vacation in 2005 when we went to Disneyland. I totally understand that it isn't something everyone can do either due to cost, vacation time, or other responsibilities, but it is SO much nicer than a 1-week trip. It takes a few days to really start relaxing and by then your trip is almost over and you start thinking about home again. With 2 weeks, that doesn't happen. It really lets you escape from the everyday stuff. I wish we could do it every year but we can't.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Sure. Any time. My wife, daughter (16) and I went for 2 weeks in 2009, 2010 and 2011. We didn't break $5,000 on any of those trips. And I don't think we've ever broken $2,500 on a one-week trip.

ETA: I see that you have 3 kids so that would obviously affect your numbers. There are only 3 of us, not 5. Though if you can drive there, transportation and accommodations remain the same price. Only food and park passes go up.
2 of my kids are considered adults, according to Disney anyway, so our vacations can get pricey. Driving is not an option since we live in NY and I don't even do well in the car when we go to New Hampshire!
We haven't been to WDW since 08 but we have been talking about going again soon since my youngest was under 5 at the time. I'll definitely look for deals, and since we went to Orlando for Spring Break in April, I got to see all the hotel choices offsite that may work for us. We would do WDW and Universal in the same trip, so I wouldn't need to stay onsite, although I would definitely prefer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
No, I understand that for some people cost may not be a concern, and they may not want their vacation to be cheaper. I even understand why someone would look at their other options, as you said you did, and decide that onsite is worth it to them. I also understand how some people fall victim to the Disney marketing machine and do not consider staying offsite because they are convinced you have to stay on property to have a good WDW vacation. I don't understand why these particular friends of ours, who do not have unlimited budgets and are willing to research any other purchasing decision extensively, become so overwhelmed and confused by the thought of looking into onsite options that they don't want to look into it.
Gotcha
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #23
disneysteve

Quote:
Driving is not an option since we live in NY and I don't even do well in the car when we go to New Hampshire!
If you don't drive, that certainly shoots up the cost, especially for 5 people. We drive from NJ every year which is part of what keeps the price down for us.

Quote:
I got to see all the hotel choices offsite that may work for us.
I would urge you to explore the offsite rental market. Head over to the Orlando Hotels and Attractions board and you can get tons of advice (though the options can be overwhelming so be prepared). We just got back from 8 nights in a 3-bedroom townhouse at Windsor Palms and spent just over $100/night for a great place and I know there are even cheaper options. We just decided to splurge a bit this year since we were only going for one week.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #24
rigs32
DIS Veteran

On site vs off comment - in January 2011 we stayed at Pop for a week w free dining upgraded to the regular plan. If we had stayed w my partners mom 20ish min from Disney were would have saved a whopping $15 per person per night when you factor in meals as we would have eaten and the cost to park. Gas was not a factor and would have cut into that. Te convenience and privacy were well worth it.
rigs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #25
gina2000
anonymous

You know, this isn't just about cost - it's also about vacationing lifestyles. For instance, we get a house right on the beach - we do that because we love it and also because we have family members who can't make the long walk in the heat. That adds a huge amount to the cost of a rental verses 4 or 5 blocks in or the bayside. This compares to offsite and onsite cost at WDW. How about the quality of the accommodations? Everyone has different needs and wants. Many forego one luxury for another.

Also, we don't share meals when we eat out. We enjoy ordering whatever we like, take it home and reheat the next day. Others never eat out. Some eat in luxury establishments, others grab a slice of pizza and call it a meal.

Unless you compare apples to apples, family vacationing style to family vacationing style, it's probably not a valid comparison.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #26
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigs32 View Post
On site vs off comment - in January 2011 we stayed at Pop for a week w free dining upgraded to the regular plan. If we had stayed w my partners mom 20ish min from Disney were would have saved a whopping $15 per person per night
Certainly you always need to run the numbers. Then you need to decide if the offsite savings is worth it to you. $15/person/night could be enough to make the difference of affording or not affording the trip for some people. If you figure 4 people for 7 nights that's $420 saved offsite.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #27
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gina2000 View Post
You know, this isn't just about cost - it's also about vacationing lifestyles.

Unless you compare apples to apples, family vacationing style to family vacationing style, it's probably not a valid comparison.
Very true. If you want a luxury trip, Disney will be costly. Just a room alone may be a few hundred dollars per night. If you want to eat out 3 meals/day including table service dinners, alcohol, etc., the costs can really skyrocket.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #28
DOREEN1779
Mouseketeer

Quote:
(Not a DIS on the shore, in fact we are leaving for LBI later this afternoon )
I love LBI! I'll see ya there in 1 1/2 hours. Make it 2, I want to stop by Jersey Freeze!
DOREEN1779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #29
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

You also have to compare apples to apples. If I compare Disneyworld with our Myrtle Beach vacation, for a room, I spent a fortune to sleep in a closet at Disneyworld while I had a 2 room plus kitchen suite and balcony overlooking the ocean for a mere $600. I spent over $600 for dining at Disneyworld, which yes, was excellent food for the sitdown restaurants, but I ate fresh seafood every day at Myrtle for around $250. As for the entertainment, you have to pay for Disney, but I will say the park tickets are not outragously priced for what it is, but entertainment at Myrtle because we are there for the beach, not to ride amusement rides, is free.

In total including travel (by car) I spend somewhere around $1200 for 6 days in Myrtle Beach. With Disneyworld the year before, I spent $2200 that didn't include travel.

Big difference comparing the fruit with the room and eating. Bottom of the barrel at Disney room for twice the cost and comparable dining at twice the cost coupled with must pay for entertainment vs. no-cost entertainment on the beach.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #30
Scotico
Mouseketeer

Try staying a week in the Keys. We stayed at a nice resort there for 5 days and must have spent $3000 (room, food, activities, etc...). Personally I would take any week at the beach over a week at disney but I have to do what the kids want (They are actually burnt out on Disney now). Disney can be affordable but you have to do some serious budgeting. We had some friends stay there and they spent about $4500 for 5 days total but they stayed at a really nice hotel, ate out every night and bought a ton of souvenirs.
Scotico is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: