Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
kgreen
Mouseketeer

Upgrading past Elements

I have used Elements for years.. but I think I'm way over due for an upgrade, have some more creative control & not sure which software to purchase. I am checking into Adobe Photoshop CS6, or lightroom 4. I have used a trial of the Topaz bundle, & enjoyed the short time I was able to use it. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on where I should go from here.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
JoeDif
DIS Veteran

Currently I do about 95% of my PP in Lightroom and the Topaz and Nik plug ins. The only time I feel the need to use Photoshop is if I need to clone something out of an image or to add some sort of texture to an image.

My SmugMug

Objects in this post are closer than they appear
JoeDif is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
kgreen
Mouseketeer

Thanks JoeDif! With lightroom, do all of your photos appear in an organizer or something of that nature. Just curious how that works.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
JoeDif
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreen View Post
Thanks JoeDif! With lightroom, do all of your photos appear in an organizer or something of that nature. Just curious how that works.
Yes, one of the best features of LR is it's photo management tools. As long as you tag your images with descriptive keywords keeping track of and finding images is a breeze.

You can download a fully functioning 30 day trial to see if it's something you would like to use.

My SmugMug

Objects in this post are closer than they appear
JoeDif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Some of this will be down to what you actually want to do with your photos.

LR is great for organization and "development" types of tweaks (cropping, exposure, color balance, lens correction, brightness, saturation, contrast, spot removal, etc), but it will fall flat with higher end image editing functions (cloning, merging, layers, masks, etc). For those, you will need Photoshop (or Photoshop-esque) software.

I recently picked up elements (well, like, around March) and I barely use it (it was on sale at about $30, so I couldn't pass it up), 99% of my workflow is through Lightroom. That's mostly because I prefer to just touch up and tweak my photos than completely change them, and I'm too lazy to put in that much work .

(Though, you really can't beat the organization offered by LR...except with some of the categorization options...like the color labels... I hate the way that is setup).

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!

I agree with what everyone else just said. Lightroom has a great workflow for organizing and quick development adjustments for photos. And Photoshop would be needed for actual manipulations like cloning, hdr, stitching.

With that said, B&H has a 24 hour deal ending tonight, $390 for BOTH! Full versions (not upgrades). Though student and teacher deals are better.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Li...4/N/4085755801

Past: Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Lightroom would not be an upgrade to Elements, it would be complimentary to it.

If Elements is coming up short for you to me Photoshop CS6 would be a natural progression. However, I'm not understanding what you mean by creative control because you have a lot in Elements. Especially if you're using Camera RAW to process your RAW files.

If we all agreed all the time the world would be an awfully boring place. I'm here to make it interesting!

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
kgreen
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the all the info everyone much appreciated!!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
ukstitch
I'm not sure I'm quite your average, typical male
I think I need to eat some humble pie
I've got a few hours of DIS chatting ahead of me tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafeen View Post
Some of this will be down to what you actually want to do with your photos.

LR is great for organization and "development" types of tweaks (cropping, exposure, color balance, lens correction, brightness, saturation, contrast, spot removal, etc), but it will fall flat with higher end image editing functions (cloning, merging, layers, masks, etc). For those, you will need Photoshop (or Photoshop-esque) software.

I recently picked up elements (well, like, around March) and I barely use it (it was on sale at about $30, so I couldn't pass it up), 99% of my workflow is through Lightroom. That's mostly because I prefer to just touch up and tweak my photos than completely change them, and I'm too lazy to put in that much work .

(Though, you really can't beat the organization offered by LR...except with some of the categorization options...like the color labels... I hate the way that is setup).
This is exactly how I work - most of the work is in lightroom and then on the occasion I need to do something that's not easy/possible in lightroom (panoramics, HDR, pixel editting larger than simple spot removal) I send the picture to elements.

Both Lightroom and Photoshop CS6 have free trials available, so it would be worth downloading both of these to see what you think

Facebook | Flickr | 500px

ukstitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: