Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
See, I don't view the media (celebrities, ad campaigns, movies, etc) as having any effect on my self image and it shouldn't on anyone else's either. They are entertainment and as a kid, as a tween, as a teen, and now as an adult I never allowed them to mold my image of myself or my self worth.

All of us, from kids to adults, put way too much stock in what the media portrays from fashion to the political agenda and issues we pay attention to. But that isn't the media's fault, that is our fault no matter the age. I don't blame the media for anything because they only have the power we choose to give them and sadly we give them way too much. The solution is actually quite simple, just don't allow them so much hold over you, your thoughts, or your actions.

If they have any influence over your self image or what you think of yourself that isn't their fault, that is your fault. I was a kid and I never watched a show or movie and wanted to alter myself because of it and surely never allowed any of them to lower my self-esteem or self-worth. I just don't get that whole mindset personally but to each their own. I think this is one of those issues where we will have to agree to disagree.
You are unique if you have not been affected by what you have been exposed to, but your view that it shouldn't have any effect doesn't mean that it doesn't.

What you have stated is an opinion and not fact.

Many studies have been done showing that media, movies, television etc have a massive impact on kids and adults.

Let's take a simple example such as Hannah Montana. This show influenced the way girls dressed for a while. Disney even had offered a "Hannah Montana Makeover".

As for adults, Vanity Fair has just done an entire article in the September issue about the way movies have influenced fashion since the early 1930's. People have been known to have plastic surgery in order to look like a specific celebrity. Read any magazine cover while standing in line at the grocery store and you will find an article about how you too, can have Kim Kardashian's _________.

As I said in my first line, if what you say is true and you have never been influence by any outside visual stimulus, then you are unique and the exception and not the rule.

You are welcome to your opinion that this shouldn't happen, but to think that it doesn't is, in my opinion misguided and saying it shouldn't happen doesn't make it not happen.

And finally, I think that labeling anyone mentally deficient because they dont fit into your opinion, is being way too judgemental. This is just my opinion.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #17
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post

If they have any influence over your self image or what you think of yourself that isn't their fault, that is your fault.
This is simply not true based on social science.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #18
Mindy5767
Loving My DVC Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post

Creep. City.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usd2bmd View Post
Wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to begin...
Exactly!! I posted this on Facebook on the Disunplugged page. YUCK horrible terrible idea! How could they!! So inappropriate in so many ways. Disney allowed this?! Do we have to protect their intellectual property from THEMSELVES?!

Mindy5767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #19
Sarabi's Cubs
DIS Veteran

I find these images disturbing. Part of what draws me to Disney is the wholesome family fun aspect. In my opinion it's just part of a larger problem where, as the mother of an 11 year old girl, I have a hard time finding her clothing that doesn't look like underwear or Vegas showgirl attire and the most popular movie and book for that age involves the government forcing children to fight to the death. I do worry about the long term impact of being Bombarded with these images constantly. Disney is an escape from that for me.

Laurie

Contemporary 1972, Fort Wilderness 7/79, WDW offsite 6/84, WDW offsite 12/89, GF 9/96, BC 11/03, Disneyland offsite 6/05, BC 4/08, YC 1/2010, POR 12/2010, Disney Magic New Year's Cruise 12/2010, DIS Exclusive Knights & Lights ABD 9/11, Easter Dream cruise 4/2012, BWV 10/2012, Kidani 4/2013, DIS Exclusive Once Upon a Fairytale ABD 9/13, Kidani 12/13
Sarabi's Cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

There's only one character I think would look "normal" in that style of fashion:

Jack Skellington.

Everyone else looks strange.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #21
thbath77
Earning My Ears

Being the mother to a 5 yr old girl (who loves everything Minnie). I am a little shocked people think she wouldn't influence children. We are Disney fans and most when they go to the park where clothes or ears portraying their favorite characters. Disney for the most part has been a place to turn to with young children for a more "normal and wholesome" outlook on life. If there is such a thing. We are all entitled to our opinion, but if Minnie had no influence her costumes would never sell in the parks.

I just can't help but think over and over. What would Walt think?
Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney
thbath77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: