Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #76
justhat
DC DISer
pick one night and stay up later for Wishes
 
justhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 7,429

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeaulieu View Post
I totally agree with this! My son was the youngest by 6 months in his preschool last year. Due to a bunch of things, related to my masters program internship, he had to change preschools 3 times last year and ended up up in the 5 day a week afternoon preschool which was mainly populated by kids who had already turned 4. The younger 3's were in the morning 2 or 3 day a week programs which were full. He was not even 3.5 when he started in February. He did great. This year he is back in a 3yo preschool program because we moved and the cutoff changed. He is now the oldest, by far, and I've been told that kids who make this drastic youngest to oldest change may become a little less mature because of their classmates.
We are seeing that now with my youngest. She is in the same toddler class she was in last year simply due to her birthday (January). The room is 15 months-3yo and kids can move up to the 3 room either in August or January based on their birthdays. Last year Scarlett was the youngest and it was great cause she wanted to be like the big kids. Potty trained herself, started speaking in sentences, and everything. this year she is the 3rd oldest and slated o move up in January. She has gone from speaking clearly and well to baby babbling. She stops when we remind her to use her words, but there is a lot of effort from us on that. She also is hitting and throwing toys which i see a lot in her class with the 1.5yos. We can't wait till she moves up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeaulieu View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing! Kids that go to a good all-day daycare are essentially subjected to a preschool curriculum during normal school hours. I worked full-time until 2.5 years ago. When my daughter was 3 she was at daycare from 7-5:00 every day. From 9-3 they had a set curriculum and she came out of that year doing more writing/learning to read activities then her actual 4yo preschool. Yes, it was a long day, but we thought this environment was much better than sending her to an in home day care. She loved it and she is now in first grade and reading/writing well above her grade level. They even had a "curriculum" for the infants. It was a wonderful daycare.
I worked in a similar daycare before we moved to AZ. 8-12 was preschool for te kids, then, Lunch, nap, free play in the afternoons. Some kids even came only for the mornings instead of a stand alone preschool. I thought it was a great place for kids and even those there the longest days (7-6) weren't too wiped out cause they had naptime and plenty of downtime during the day.
__________________
justhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:47 AM   #77
cornflake
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,656

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedby3 View Post
No need to put words in my mouth, folks. I never used the word "Horror" or "punishment". I have no problem with preschool...a few hours in the morning for a 3 or 4 yr old. Like I said, 2 of my kids went through 3 and 4 yr old preschool. I would have sent the other 2, but financially it wouldnt work for us at the time. Sending a 3 yr old to school for a whole school day, 8-3 or so, I think isnt appropriate. That isnt preschool....that is school. Good grief, there are some 3 yr olds who arent even potty trained yet!
My children have also been in other classes (ex. Church Sunday nursery and Sunday school--all their lives--and dance, gymnastics, soccer, etc) where they are able to function in a group as well as take direction from other adults and deal with seperation from mom and dad. I dont think they are lacking in these skills.
I have been working with DD4 on preschool and now Kindergarten skills myself. I homeschooled my oldest DD from 1st-4th. I think a child can be ready academically yet not be mature enough to deal with a full school day at 4. That is the situation I am in, and I see no problem with her begin 5 yr and 10 mo going to K. I believe that we are doing right by her, and I think each parent knows what is best for their own child. Like I said...our kids are only small for a short time and I cherish every moment home with them. I actually like having my kids home in the summer. So many parents are begging for school to start back.
I dont see the US Education system being broken. I am the proud parent of my DD who graduated with honors from her high school as well as Magna Cum Laude from her Christian University just this year. My other children are following suit! They get the same education (13 yrs worth) whether they start it at 4 or 5
How far does it go though? If there are all six-year-olds in kindergarten, then people will hold their kid back so he'll be more mature and then there'll be 7-year-olds in k.

I think in general, this is how kids mature, not in the same situation they've been, but having to advance into these things.

As to three-year-olds not being potty trained, I think Americans in general are quite late about that too. I've heard of four-year-olds just training becaue they 'hadn't shown interest....' which is nuts to me. I'm with the Canucks.

There are kids who really aren't ready but in general I think we should take advantage of how much kids can absorb. I was in k at 3 (half day) and 4 and I still remember my fave teacher and stuff we did.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #78
Tiger926
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna Poppins View Post
I just have to completely disagree with the whole parents do not know best about what is best educationally for their children. As a parent I can assure you I know what is educationally best for my child because I am their mother. Who do you think is their first teacher in life? It is my responsibility to raise and educate my children. A teacher does not know a child as well as a parent and never will! Studies do NOT show that these government sponsored early education programs produce smarter children by schooling them as babies. Where are all the Einsteins of today that schools are pumping out? Kindergarten was designed originally to get children ready for school. Your child is not going to become behind by waiting a year to start school. In my generation daycares were rare and most children didn't learn to read until first grade. When your child is giving you signs they don't want to separate from you listen to them. Only the parent can decide what is best because each child is unique. I would agree that the public schools are broken because they are run by the government and unions. We homeschool for this very reason.
We will have to agree to disagree.

As point of clarfication, I didn't say that kids who start late will be behind, I said that extensive studies here in Canada show that those who don't have any formalized education before age 6, have higher early leaver rates and less school success. This is big for us in this country, so we do a lot of work in this area. The only way to figure out why kids drop out of school early is to do extensive work in this area.

As for studies, do some research, go to workshops, study educational systems in other countries, compare educational systems, analyze early leaver rates, etc. Like I said, our country leads the way in this type of research and has shown the benefits over years of study in early formalized education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhat View Post
Blessedby3, the reason I said you implied school is a punishment is because you said something like "I can't imagine sending my child off to school at 3". When I phrase something that way, I mean that it isn't a desirable event, that it's bad in some way. Additionally, you say sending kids to preschool or kindergarten on time is because people "choose not to spend time with their kids". There may be people that pertains to, but overall that is not why people send their kids to preschool. That also implies that it is bad. I loved being home with my 2yo over the summer, but she also loved and asked daily to go to the gym daycare and was more than ready to go back to school when it started in August. She likes me, I like her, but she also likes spending time with her peers, playing with toys we don't have at home, not always being the baby, etc. It has nothing to do with me choosing not to spend time with her.

Also, I think that is insulting to the people who work and have to send their kids to preschool. It is saying they choose not to spend time with their kids. Again, not true.

And that isn't putting words in your mouth. Your sentence says, "I shouldnt have to be forced to send my dd to K because others choose to not spend the time with their kids."

Yes, they still get 13 years of school, but the question is why delay them? If the child is a normal child, within the cutoff for K, what is the need to hold them back? Saying you want to keep them home to enjoy more time with them, cherish their early years, etc., that is keeping them back for your own selfish reasons, not because it is in the child's best interest.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
How far does it go though? If there are all six-year-olds in kindergarten, then people will hold their kid back so he'll be more mature and then there'll be 7-year-olds in k.

I think in general, this is how kids mature, not in the same situation they've been, but having to advance into these things.

As to three-year-olds not being potty trained, I think Americans in general are quite late about that too. I've heard of four-year-olds just training becaue they 'hadn't shown interest....' which is nuts to me. I'm with the Canucks.

There are kids who really aren't ready but in general I think we should take advantage of how much kids can absorb. I was in k at 3 (half day) and 4 and I still remember my fave teacher and stuff we did.


Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 09-11-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #79
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)
 
blessedby3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Blue Ridge, Virginia
Posts: 7,818

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhat View Post
Blessedby3, the reason I said you implied school is a punishment is because you said something like "I can't imagine sending my child off to school at 3". When I phrase something that way, I mean that it isn't a desirable event, that it's bad in some way. Additionally, you say sending kids to preschool or kindergarten on time is because people "choose not to spend time with their kids". There may be people that pertains to, but overall that is not why people send their kids to preschool. That also implies that it is bad. I loved being home with my 2yo over the summer, but she also loved and asked daily to go to the gym daycare and was more than ready to go back to school when it started in August. She likes me, I like her, but she also likes spending time with her peers, playing with toys we don't have at home, not always being the baby, etc. It has nothing to do with me choosing not to spend time with her.

Also, I think that is insulting to the people who work and have to send their kids to preschool. It is saying they choose not to spend time with their kids. Again, not true.

And that isn't putting words in your mouth. Your sentence says, "I shouldnt have to be forced to send my dd to K because others choose to not spend the time with their kids."

Yes, they still get 13 years of school, but the question is why delay them? If the child is a normal child, within the cutoff for K, what is the need to hold them back? Saying you want to keep them home to enjoy more time with them, cherish their early years, etc., that is keeping them back for your own selfish reasons, not because it is in the child's best interest.
You are misinterpreting my post.
I cant imagine sending my 3 yr old off to school at 3...and I mean a full day of school (not daycare). I think that is too young and that is my opinion. Just because I said that doesnt mean I think it is horrifying (and I never said that...you did)...I just think that is too young and I cant imagine doing that.

When I say that I shouldnt be forced to send my child to K because others choose not to spend time with their kids-Tiger said that I may be doing fine by my child, but others arent doing that. I am saying that a law shouldnt be across the board because others dont do what they are supposed to. I shouldnt be forced to send my 4 yr old to K because of other parents arent doing what they are supposed to do. Im not bashing other parents. Tiger was just saying that because I was doing right by my child, others arent. I cant help that and I dont want to be forced to put my 4 yr old in school when I know she is not ready.

Go back and re read my post. I never said that parents who send their child to preschool dont want to spend time with their kids I SENT 2 of my 4 kids to preschool, like I have already said twice. Most of my friends work and have their kids in daycare. I have no problem with that. Never said that and never meant to imply that. My posts are getting turned around by the way you want to interperet them. As I said before..I have been blessed to stay home with my kids. I dont take that lightly. Others are not so lucky and even others dont want that option at all. Whatever works

As to the 13 years of school whenever they start...it is what it is. They get the same schooling. My dd4 will be better able to handle K when she is 5. She misses the cut off date by 2 days. I am delaying sending her because I know she is not ready. You know your own child, and if the option is there...then you make the choice. I am highly offended by you saying that I am being selfish by keeping her home. She is my child and I KNOW my child and her limits and I KNOW I am making the correct choice. I am not selfishly keeping her home. She is not ready for K...I WILL enjoy her for another year

I will say that Tiger and justhat and I will never agree. We each feel/know that we are doing the best for our kids. That is what a parents job is.
__________________
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #80
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)
 
blessedby3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Blue Ridge, Virginia
Posts: 7,818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna Poppins View Post
I just have to completely disagree with the whole parents do not know best about what is best educationally for their children. As a parent I can assure you I know what is educationally best for my child because I am their mother. Who do you think is their first teacher in life? It is my responsibility to raise and educate my children. A teacher does not know a child as well as a parent and never will! Studies do NOT show that these government sponsored early education programs produce smarter children by schooling them as babies. Where are all the Einsteins of today that schools are pumping out? Kindergarten was designed originally to get children ready for school. Your child is not going to become behind by waiting a year to start school. In my generation daycares were rare and most children didn't learn to read until first grade. When your child is giving you signs they don't want to separate from you listen to them. Only the parent can decide what is best because each child is unique. I would agree that the public schools are broken because they are run by the government and unions. We homeschool for this very reason.
I agree with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
How far does it go though? If there are all six-year-olds in kindergarten, then people will hold their kid back so he'll be more mature and then there'll be 7-year-olds in k.

I think in general, this is how kids mature, not in the same situation they've been, but having to advance into these things.

As to three-year-olds not being potty trained, I think Americans in general are quite late about that too. I've heard of four-year-olds just training becaue they 'hadn't shown interest....' which is nuts to me. I'm with the Canucks.

There are kids who really aren't ready but in general I think we should take advantage of how much kids can absorb. I was in k at 3 (half day) and 4 and I still remember my fave teacher and stuff we did.
You have to send your kids to K by 6...there wont be 7 yr olds in K...at least where I live, so that is a non issue.

As to the late potty training....I started with my DS at 2 1/2. He was the biggest resister I have ever seen. I thought I was literally going to lose my mind trying to get him potty trained. He was about 3 1/2 before we were finally trained. It was not fun...and I never used the term "doesnt show intrest" and dont know anyone who does, BUT he just wouldnt go and I spend a LONG time cleaning out nasty underwear. I would have given anything for him to have been trained much earlier...just wasnt going to happen. This is one of the main reasons he didnt go to Preschool...they wouldnt take him.

AGAIN...I sent 2 of my 4 kids to preschool. 3 hour day in the morning. They loved it and so did I for them. A whole day in K doing school is another story. I am not bashing preschool. I am not bashing K. I think each child should be looked at individually to see when they are ready...and that is why we have screenings. They are not all the same.
__________________
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #81
RMulieri
DIS Veteran
 
RMulieri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tom Sawyers Island
Posts: 20,700

I see it mentioned Kindergarten is getting your child ready for school,I don't know where all your kids go to school, but Kindergarten is MORE than just getting ready for school anymore..It has gotten to the point that where what used to be taught in K, is taught at home or Pre K and 1st grade curriculum is now K curriculum.My DD LEARNED to read in Kindergarten, and do basic math ( addition and subtraction of single digits).She needed to know how to write her letters, her name, address and phone number before going to K, and she needed to be able to count beyond 20..Back when I went to Kindergarten , that was what was taught then.Not so much anymore..
__________________
Going Back to the DarkSide -Universal Orlando and the Harry Potter Expansion December 2014
RMulieri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #82
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran
 
4HppyCamprs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: indiana
Posts: 2,246

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
I see it mentioned Kindergarten is getting your child ready for school,I don't know where all your kids go to school, but Kindergarten is MORE than just getting ready for school anymore..It has gotten to the point that where what used to be taught in K, is taught at home or Pre K and 1st grade curriculum is now K curriculum.My DD LEARNED to read in Kindergarten, and do basic math ( addition and subtraction of single digits).She needed to know how to write her letters, her name, address and phone number before going to K, and she needed to be able to count beyond 20..Back when I went to Kindergarten , that was what was taught then.Not so much anymore..
This is true! Although all of my children miss the cutoffs. I did not need to make the decision of holding them back and I do not regret having a extra year at home with them. I feel preschool is EXTREMELY important because it is true that what we learned in 1st 2nd grade is being taught in Kindergarten. Here if the child cannot do as the poster mentioned above they will be labeled developmentally delayed as they need extra assistance. A parent could probably get their child to the point they need to be if they work with them diligently doing the same same curriculum at home as they would do in preschool but without some form of learning they will start school off on the wrong foot.

Canadians. Please stop putting down Americans. We have different systems to work within. We do not have government funded preschool unless you are on the poverty line. It is voluntary and it is expensive. Kindergarten is NOT mandatory in all places in the US it is however becoming more so and our school system just implemented all day K this school year. A child must begin school at age 6 but they don't have to begin with K in our area if that makes sense. I personally cannot imagine starting my child out in first grade as a formal education starting point but there is no law against it.

Potty training. We do not get a year of maternity leave. Some people get no paid maternity leave. Some people get no paid vacation time. So we have to work with limited time off in order to get potty training done. If a child is not ready it is a fight, a messy dirty fight. If a child is ready it takes no time at all to potty train. Both my boys potty trained in less than 3 days because they WANTED to. They were both 3.

I personally am peeved that I have to beg for my son to have 5 days off during the school year because they lose funding for him being absent and I did not have my child to fund their institution so again having another year where I did not have to justify every single move and even then be in danger of being turned into truancy court (excused or unexcused it does not matter to the school system on absences) was not such a horrible thing!
__________________
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #83
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran
 
Queen2PrincessG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Grand Floridian
Posts: 2,988

I would personally never allow my child to move backwards. As it stand now my daughter has been in school for almost a year. She is the youngest in her class but I think it has only made her a better child and will make her a better student. This years tuition is roughly $20,000 for a full day of school. At 3 I think DD is worth it because she is building the foundation that will make her happy to be a learner and want to learn. She is also learning how to interact socially with others, which is a life long lesson.
__________________

Queen2PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #84
justhat
DC DISer
pick one night and stay up later for Wishes
 
justhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 7,429

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
How far does it go though? If there are all six-year-olds in kindergarten, then people will hold their kid back so he'll be more mature and then there'll be 7-year-olds in k.

I think in general, this is how kids mature, not in the same situation they've been, but having to advance into these things.

As to three-year-olds not being potty trained, I think Americans in general are quite late about that too. I've heard of four-year-olds just training becaue they 'hadn't shown interest....' which is nuts to me. I'm with the Canucks.

There are kids who really aren't ready but in general I think we should take advantage of how much kids can absorb. I was in k at 3 (half day) and 4 and I still remember my fave teacher and stuff we did.
Exactly. All 5yos are "immature". They are 5! They are supposed to be immature. As the Kindy year goes, they grow and mature. My son was a totally different child at the start of K than he was at the end of K. And again, August 4th birthday with a school start around August 9th each year. So he's always either the youngest or one of the youngest in his class.

And that is part of my issue with holding kids back. So there are kids who made the cutoff in my son's class, but their parents held them back. They have spring birthdays. So they turned 7yo while in K. My son was 5.5yo when these kids were 7. Huge difference.

I also don't get potty training past 3yo. My youngest was my latest trainer at 2 years, 2 months. Actually, not one kid on either side of our families was older than 3yo when they potty trained. Is potty training work? Yes, but I look at it like any other part of parenting. If they do it in a day, they were ready to be taught months earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedby3 View Post
You have to send your kids to K by 6...there wont be 7 yr olds in K...at least where I live, so that is a non issue.

Not true as kids with birthdays during the school year will turn 7yo during K if they have been held back.

As to the late potty training....I started with my DS at 2 1/2. He was the biggest resister I have ever seen. I thought I was literally going to lose my mind trying to get him potty trained. He was about 3 1/2 before we were finally trained. It was not fun...and I never used the term "doesnt show intrest" and dont know anyone who does, BUT he just wouldnt go and I spend a LONG time cleaning out nasty underwear. I would have given anything for him to have been trained much earlier...just wasnt going to happen. This is one of the main reasons he didnt go to Preschool...they wouldnt take him.

AGAIN...I sent 2 of my 4 kids to preschool. 3 hour day in the morning. They loved it and so did I for them. A whole day in K doing school is another story. I am not bashing preschool. I am not bashing K. I think each child should be looked at individually to see when they are ready...and that is why we have screenings. They are not all the same.
I didn't quote your other post, but I am not twisting things. I am taking what you said at face value. You said you choose to spend time with your kids while others choose not to. That implies that anyone sending their kid to preschool is doing so to get rid of them for a bit. Now, of course I value my time that all 3 kids are in school (overlap of about 3 hours), because I can get things done that are challenging with a toddler. However, that isn't the reason I sent her to school. That was to give her the social experience of being with her peers, of being around other adults, learning she is safe even if I am not present, getting to do activities at school that she can't do at home, etc. When she's home with me all day, I can't devote the entire day to planning activities with her as I have food prep, laundry, cleaning, etc. I would love nothing more than to amuse her all day, but I can't. At school she gets time and activities dedicated to her, yet not where she is the center of the universe, another important skill to learn. I think that is especially true for youngest kids, as they have a lot of people doting on them all the time and often get their way even if they are wrong. At school, that doesn't happen, everyone is on equal ground.

And okay, great, if your child isn't ready, keep her home. I am basing it on your comments that she is already doing kindergarten work at home and that you want to cherish your time with her and get an extra year. To me, that sounds like she is ready and that it is you who wants more time. Which is fine, but shouldn't be billed as being in the child's best interest. If she is already doing the academics, putting her in with her peers can only help her socially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
I see it mentioned Kindergarten is getting your child ready for school,I don't know where all your kids go to school, but Kindergarten is MORE than just getting ready for school anymore..It has gotten to the point that where what used to be taught in K, is taught at home or Pre K and 1st grade curriculum is now K curriculum.My DD LEARNED to read in Kindergarten, and do basic math ( addition and subtraction of single digits).She needed to know how to write her letters, her name, address and phone number before going to K, and she needed to be able to count beyond 20..Back when I went to Kindergarten , that was what was taught then.Not so much anymore..
That isn't the case in Arizona at all. My son did learn to read and do addition and subtraction in K (as well as basic multiplication), BUT, he didn't need to know anything going in. He is 6yo now, in 1st grade, and still doesn't know his address or phone number (which I should work on, I know. His sister knew that at 5yo but I honestly just haven't gone over it much with him, 2nd child syndrom I guess!). He could sorta kinda count to 20 before K, but often omitted some numbers. He couldn't reliably write any of those numbers, or lord knows nothing beyond 20, till a few months into K. He also wasn't able to, I think, write all his letters or know every letter sound at the start of the year. But now he's in 1st grade, can read at grade level (slightly above, but nothing to rave about like his older sister who is grades ahead), and he's in a Spanish immersion program and now reading short books in Spanish too. Huge change in work level from K for him, but he's happy and handling it well.
__________________

Last edited by justhat; 09-11-2012 at 01:23 PM.
justhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #85
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)
 
blessedby3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Blue Ridge, Virginia
Posts: 7,818

I know Im doing what is right for my dd. You are doing what is right for your kids. All kids are different therefore they wont all follow the same exact path at the same time. You wont convince me...I wont convince you.
I am done with this thread
__________________
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #86
Tiger926
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 8,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HppyCamprs View Post
This is true! Although all of my children miss the cutoffs. I did not need to make the decision of holding them back and I do not regret having a extra year at home with them. I feel preschool is EXTREMELY important because it is true that what we learned in 1st 2nd grade is being taught in Kindergarten. Here if the child cannot do as the poster mentioned above they will be labeled developmentally delayed as they need extra assistance. A parent could probably get their child to the point they need to be if they work with them diligently doing the same same curriculum at home as they would do in preschool but without some form of learning they will start school off on the wrong foot.

Canadians. Please stop putting down Americans. We have different systems to work within. We do not have government funded preschool unless you are on the poverty line. It is voluntary and it is expensive. Kindergarten is NOT mandatory in all places in the US it is however becoming more so and our school system just implemented all day K this school year. A child must begin school at age 6 but they don't have to begin with K in our area if that makes sense. I personally cannot imagine starting my child out in first grade as a formal education starting point but there is no law against it.

Potty training. We do not get a year of maternity leave. Some people get no paid maternity leave. Some people get no paid vacation time. So we have to work with limited time off in order to get potty training done. If a child is not ready it is a fight, a messy dirty fight. If a child is ready it takes no time at all to potty train. Both my boys potty trained in less than 3 days because they WANTED to. They were both 3.

I personally am peeved that I have to beg for my son to have 5 days off during the school year because they lose funding for him being absent and I did not have my child to fund their institution so again having another year where I did not have to justify every single move and even then be in danger of being turned into truancy court (excused or unexcused it does not matter to the school system on absences) was not such a horrible thing!
I'm not sure why you think us Canadians are putting down Americans.
We all know our educational systems are different, and that is why we are discussing the differences and the pros and cons to each.

The OP asked for help with transitioning her child in kindergarten, so that has nothing to do with what country we live in. We don't allow redshirting in Canada, and your country does, so as parents you have to weigh the pros and cons of holding your children back. Our country has spent a heck of a lot of money studying kindergarten, and so it's good to have that info, regardless of what country you live in, as it speaks to the developmental stages of children at those ages.

Also, many of us parents are pointing out that being a bit tentative and nervous is normal for that age of child, so holding back a child or pulling a child out of school may not be the best for that child.

Not sure about your potty training remark - I didn't potty train my children during the year of maternity leave, as they were too young. My kids were first introduced to potty training at their Montessori school at 16-18 months, and showed interest and readiness and were both trained by a little over 2 years of age. Hubby and I were both full time working professionals, so we had to continue with potty training at night, like so many other parents do.


Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedby3 View Post
I know Im doing what is right for my dd. You are doing what is right for your kids. All kids are different therefore they wont all follow the same exact path at the same time. You wont convince me...I wont convince you.
I am done with this thread
All kids are very different, but for the most part, most kids are close in developmental stages (excepting special needs or special circumstances), which is why kindergarten is at the age it is.

Thanks for the discussion, Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #87
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,254

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
I see it mentioned Kindergarten is getting your child ready for school,I don't know where all your kids go to school, but Kindergarten is MORE than just getting ready for school anymore..It has gotten to the point that where what used to be taught in K, is taught at home or Pre K and 1st grade curriculum is now K curriculum.My DD LEARNED to read in Kindergarten, and do basic math ( addition and subtraction of single digits).She needed to know how to write her letters, her name, address and phone number before going to K, and she needed to be able to count beyond 20..Back when I went to Kindergarten , that was what was taught then.Not so much anymore..
I think this is because 20/30 years ago, there were 4 and 5 year olds in K and 5 and 6 year olds in 1st grade. Now you have Kindergarten classes with a ton of 6 year olds in it.
It's a vicious cycle - parents hold their kids back, then they are 6 in K, so the "old" K curriculum of getting ready for school is far too easy for them, so the more academic work filters down to K. Which causes more people to hold their kid back (sometimes inappropriately) and then demand more advanced work... etc.

I always laugh when a parent brags that her Kindergarten is already reading. Of course she is! She's 6.5!
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #88
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it
 
Ginny Favers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,859

My 3 year old just started full-day preschool. I keep her there for an after-care program as well, so her day is 8 1/2 hours long.

Yesterday, I went to pick her up and she would not leave. She loves school that much. She was often bored being home with me, no matter how I tried to stimulate her. Some kids just do better in a structured school environment.

I guess we all feel fortunate in different ways. I feel that I am fortunate to be able to afford a program like that, that makes my daughter so happy. It's obviously the right choice for her, but it's not for every kid.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #89
RMulieri
DIS Veteran
 
RMulieri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tom Sawyers Island
Posts: 20,700

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyDame View Post
I think this is because 20/30 years ago, there were 4 and 5 year olds in K and 5 and 6 year olds in 1st grade. Now you have Kindergarten classes with a ton of 6 year olds in it.
It's a vicious cycle - parents hold their kids back, then they are 6 in K, so the "old" K curriculum of getting ready for school is far too easy for them, so the more academic work filters down to K. Which causes more people to hold their kid back (sometimes inappropriately) and then demand more advanced work... etc.

I always laugh when a parent brags that her Kindergarten is already reading. Of course she is! She's 6.5!
Mine was 5, but she was the youngest in her class
__________________
Going Back to the DarkSide -Universal Orlando and the Harry Potter Expansion December 2014

Last edited by RMulieri; 09-12-2012 at 06:16 PM.
RMulieri is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.