Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #76
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeroKero View Post
I would have also taken offense to this, until I realized that he was joking. But I can understand why the CM's were in an uproar - we get things like this all the time. The ignorance surrounding Canada is silly at times, sad - but silly.
Dunno if it'll make any Canadians feel any better, but the people of the US are just as ignorant about their national geography. My sister lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and she regularly has to argue with people who "don't ship outside the United States" or otherwise make it plain they don't know much about their own fifty states.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #77
connorlevismom

DIS Veteran

We love Canada! In fact, we are having our bow renewal there in a couple of weeks. It will be up in are up-top with the falls in the background. So gorgeous up there!
connorlevismom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #78
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio
I used to like the Canada Pavilion ok - seemed like there wasn't much there, but we always watched the Martin Short movie. BUT, when my husband and I went on a no-kids anniversary trip to Epcot, we went to watch the movie. There was still 15 minutes and we were the only 2 people waiting. There were 2 cast members there - 2 college age girls. My husband is a talker - so he walked over to them and said "Hi ladies! How are things in the great state of Canada!!" Obviously he was playing around with them and he knows Canada is not a state, but they tore into him and proceeded to chew him out and tell him that Canada is NOT a state and NOT a part of the US and so on and so on. He finally told them to chill out and take a break and we left without seeing the movie or anything else in there. Haven't been back to the Canada pavilion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeroKero View Post

I would have also taken offense to this, until I realized that he was joking. But I can understand why the CM's were in an uproar - we get things like this all the time. The ignorance surrounding Canada is silly at times, sad - but silly.
The public is ignorant about a lot of stuff, including basic information on US history/geography (I knew people when we lived in Colorado who thought NYC=New York state and that when you drove over the border into NY state from PA, that you'd see the Empire State Building). They spend thousands to go to WDW and have no idea there are 4 parks or that you don't have to pay for FP or that you have to stand in line. There is probably not a minute that goes by without a guest making a stupid remark or asking a stupid question somewhere on Disney property.

The CMs have no call to tear into any guest over a comment like that, joking or not. My dd was a CM this year in Attractions and hardly an hour went by that she didn't have to respond to a guest who was totally ignorant of the basics of WDW, like FP or the 3 o'clock parade. If she'd ever torn into a guest for asking "When is the 3 o'clock parade?" she would have been fired. And rightly so.

If you can't take dealing with questions like that, you shouldn't be working with the public.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #79
summerlady
DIS Veteran

We love it! The gardens are gorgeous, the CMs are friendly, after watching the movie I told DH that I wanted to move to Canada (partly for the health insurance). We always make a point to see Off Kilter at least once during every trip. And we LOVE Canada during the F&W festival, can't beat that chicken chipotle sausage and sweet corn polenta and this year, the filet. And, oh goodness, the cheddar cheese soup.

~Polynesian 1986~Many day trips from Mom & Dad's~Port Orleans March 2000~POFQ April 2008~POFQ May 2009~POFQ November 2009~POFQ November 2010~POFQ October 2011~POR October 2012~POFQ September 2013~POFQ March 2014~POFQ September 2014~
summerlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #80
Sgtfox
Earning My Ears

I can't be the only person that realizes the term "state" doesn't necessarily mean a subdivision of The United States, can I? The term, "state" just refers to a governed entity. A country is a state. Heck, Canada even has a Secretary of State.
Sgtfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #81
cmh314
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCMikey View Post
I enjoy the Canada pavillion.

I only wish they would sell the Cheddar Cheese soup out on the walkway instead of just in the restaurant.

In the meantime, to tide you over until your next Le Cellier visit, google "Le Cellier Cheddar Cheese Soup Recipe." I think its actually on the all ears site. I've made it twice in the past few weeks. OMG yum and its actually really easy to make. Last time I served it with some pretzel rolls from Costco. Not the same as eating it in Epcot, but for now it will do!!
cmh314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #82
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtfox View Post
I can't be the only person that realizes the term "state" doesn't necessarily mean a subdivision of The United States, can I? The term, "state" just refers to a governed entity. A country is a state. Heck, Canada even has a Secretary of State.
We have ministers of state that have limited responsibilities but we don't have a secretary of state. That position was abolished in the 90s. The term "state" is never used to describe Canada.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #83
jenny76
Earning My Ears

I love the Canada Pavilion, simply because I think Canada is an awesome country. (Such a nerd, that I got all the questions on the quiz the CMs at the Mercantile gave me. My husband and I still laugh at their incredulous tone as they asked, "How do you know so much about Canada?") Yes, it's dull compared to (most) of the other pavilions, but I think it's more about the beauty of Canada, rather than the culture. Tim Horton's should totally make a deal with Disney and set up a cart with coffee and Timbits.
jenny76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #84
KapBoy77
Mouseketeer

Yep a Timmies would be super smart to put there. I actually thought the outdoor Ice Rink idea was great as well but the Disney Lawyers would have a stroke. Plus it would just be a nightmare to maintain in the Florida climate... and besides, where could they even put one?
KapBoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #85
krismanda
Mouseketeer

It is really pretty. I actually enjoyed the movie eventhough I was initially forced into watching it by dh lol. The cms were very nice and Le Cellier was yummy. I think the shops were lackluster though. I just didn't find the goods all that interesting to peruse.
krismanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #86
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapBoy77 View Post
Yep a Timmies would be super smart to put there. I actually thought the outdoor Ice Rink idea was great as well but the Disney Lawyers would have a stroke. Plus it would just be a nightmare to maintain in the Florida climate... and besides, where could they even put one?
I agree that the ice rink is totally impractical, given the climate. The only answer IMO is a daily pick up street hockey game or two (timed between Off Kilter sets, of course). Instead of yelling "Car!", though, one would have to yell "ECV!" Day old Disney burgers would make great pucks.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #87
lightmoonstone
Mouseketeer

Ditto about the lumberjack shirts...I do love that you can get Coffee Crisp there..albeit for a hefty price

I've heard a few stereotypes about Canada thrown around by other tourists and I didn't appreciate them either. Someone once asked my dad what it was like to live in an igloo, despite my dad just telling the person that we were from Toronto.

On my last trip, a CM mentioned how Canada beat the USA team at the olympics and this lady yelled out "Yeah, but Boston won the cup!" To which the CM shrugged it off and said, "Yeah, with Canadian players!" That shut the lady up really quickly
2012- Art of Animation & All Star Movies

Last edited by lightmoonstone; 10-08-2012 at 10:30 PM.
lightmoonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #88
melissarose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW View Post
I love Canada in World Showcase,but it seems like it is way down most Guests' list of favorite WS Countries.

Are there any other Canada fans?

I think the Falls area and the Gardens area are 2 of the most beautiful areas in all of WS,but there never seems to be a lot of Guests there.

I DO think they need to put something,ANYTHING,back in the Hotel-that area does not "flow" at all!

Canada has the best entertainment IMHO in WS with Off Kilter and the most "in-demand" restaurant in all of WDW(well,before BoG!)in Le Cellier.

Canada has some really neat Hidden Mickeys and also one of the best "hidden secrets" in all of WDW-the totally cool "IllumiNations Rocks"!

Finally Canada always has an awesome Cast!

OMG! Reading this made me so happy. I am Canadian so I obviously clicked on the thread right away when I saw it! I have NEVER BEEN to Epcot before (my trip in Feb. will be my second to WDW, but the first was quick and only did MK and HS) and I am really excited to see the Canada pavilion! I want to work there but I don't think that now would be the best time to commit to moving to Orlando for a year lol. Now that I've finished university it's time to find a "real" job. Anyways I am really excited to see what's there and I am glad to hear other people are enjoying a little piece of Canada
melissarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #89
melissarose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknytech View Post
Being Canadian my honest opinion of the WS pavilion is that it is a poor representation of what Canada really is and what it has to offer. There is way more to Canada then maple syrup and totem poles and I wish they would update it, I spoke with a Australian outside of Canada’s pavilion once and there where amazed that we did not live in igloos
are there really still people out there who think canadians live in igloos? i don't blame disney for that happening, i think anyone who thinks that missed something somewhere along the line lol.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #90
melissarose
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneefamily+4 View Post
We LOVE Canada. My kids always want to spend extra time in the shop and we HAVE to watch the movie every time. My dh and ds go to Canada hunting every year, so they get a bit of their "Canada fix" in Epcot before their trip. DS11 even chose this year's Mickey Ears in Canada during our trip a couple of weeks ago:

i'm so glad to see someone not from canada with canada ears! lol my friends all think i'm crazy because i love the states and i want to buy things with the american flag on them! now i know i'm not alone!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: