Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
NStramler
Mouseketeer

4.1 Earthquake a few minutes ago

Anyone in the parks? The news just said the earthquake was a 4.1 and was centered 8 miles from Anaheim... I have a feeling the rides are down. Hope all is safe!
NStramler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Hollywood Glitter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NStramler
Anyone in the parks? The news just said the earthquake was a 4.1 and was centered 8 miles from Anaheim... I have a feeling the rides are down. Hope all is safe!
Not in the parks but I live in Anaheim. It was a pretty light and fast earthquake. Not like the last one we had
Hollywood Glitter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
masquerade
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by NStramler
Rides are currently down. Didn't feel a thing. We just got off Splash...
masquerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Tiradan
All five in one year

Do the restaurants usually stop serving food after an earthquake? I hope there are no earthquakes when I'm there this Saturday, I would freak out.
Tiradan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
masquerade
Earning My Ears

Characters and food open. Surprisingly Buzz is also open.
masquerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
BriannaRuth
Mouseketeer

Here now. Screamin down but now running empty. Fun wheel running. Felt the quake at Ariel's just a few bumps no shaking.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
DisneytheKid
A bad attempt at Billy the Kid

Wow, hope nobody was hurt by the bumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriannaRuth View Post
Here now. Screamin down but now running empty. Fun wheel running. Felt the quake at Ariel's just a few bumps no shaking.
Countless times during the 80's and 90's
DisneytheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
BriannaRuth
Mouseketeer

Screamin back up running full.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

We were there during a 5.4 earthquake once. All the big rides were shut down for the rest of the day and all small rides were down for at least an hour or more. As they started up you would hear cheers around the park. Food places were the only thing open so you can imagine the lines to eat were very long.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
Hoku
Mouseketeer

I have to admit, I'm just a wee concerned about all the So Cal earthquakes recently. The amount of quakes has been newsworthy. What's most concerning about their numbers is the overall global pattern of quakes. I've been tracking the USGS website on quake locations daily for the past 5-months. I expect the number of quakes to be around 230.

On Sunday, the 26th, the numbers were 280+. On Monday they were 360 +. Yesterday they were 430+. Right now they are at 443. I've never seen these numbers in the 5-months I've been tracking them.

But that's not even the interesting part...

If you look at the map of global distribution for these quakes, (which you can do here http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/ ), it is not even close to the standard and expected distribution. There are significantly few quakes on the Asian side. Usually, there are quite a bit more over there. So, not only do we have an unusual number of quakes, but the rest of the world is quieter than normal. It seems to be California and the British Isles that are carrying the brunt here.
Hoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
Tiradan
All five in one year

It's all a precursor to 21-DEC-12. LOL.
Tiradan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
Hoku
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiradan View Post
It's all a precursor to 21-DEC-12. LOL.
Well our trip is in November, so I guess I don't need to worry after all. Then again, I can't think of a happier place to spend the end of the world!
Hoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #13
Rubygoose
Everybody's got a laughing place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoku View Post
I have to admit, I'm just a wee concerned about all the So Cal earthquakes recently. The amount of quakes has been newsworthy. What's most concerning about their numbers is the overall global pattern of quakes. I've been tracking the USGS website on quake locations daily for the past 5-months. I expect the number of quakes to be around 230.

On Sunday, the 26th, the numbers were 280+. On Monday they were 360 +. Yesterday they were 430+. Right now they are at 443. I've never seen these numbers in the 5-months I've been tracking them.

But that's not even the interesting part...

If you look at the map of global distribution for these quakes, (which you can do here http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/ ), it is not even close to the standard and expected distribution. There are significantly few quakes on the Asian side. Usually, there are quite a bit more over there. So, not only do we have an unusual number of quakes, but the rest of the world is quieter than normal. It seems to be California and the British Isles that are carrying the brunt here.
We had a quake up here in Victoria at around 3pm as well. Little one with no reported damage yet, but it's interesting that it happened shortly after the one in anaheim. I wonder if there were others in between.
Rubygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #14
DisneyDuchess
Earning My Ears

I was at CA Adventure when the 4.1 earthquake (or something around that) happened near Anaheim a couple of weeks ago. I didn't feel anything though, but we were on the Little Mermaid and the ride stopped for about 5 minutes before resuming. When we came out, we saw some of the rides had temporarily closed.

I didn't feel today's earthquake at all though. Maybe I'm just too far away from the epicenter! :P
DisneyDuchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
deesquared
Mouseketeer

Small one up here in BC today too!

As for the large number of quakes recently, that actually makes me feel better about the situation. Lots of little quakes means that the tectonic plates are slowly sliding past each other with little resistance.
If the plates are 'caught' on each other, and unable to slide past each other, the pressure will build up and up....and then -WHAM!- you'll get a BIG quake as they finally slip apart.

So enjoy these little earthquakes! lol...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: