Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
msr709
DIS Veteran

Disability Parking lot

Is there a map for the parking lots to see where the disabled parking is located? I've been reading these threads and have found several stating that these parking spots are further away than the regular ones? Is that correct or did I misunderstand it? I have bad knees and usually get an ECV, but, next year we are going with my Autistic 3yo DGS and was thinking that I could just push his stroller since that makes it a little easier for me. I do have a disability parking pass since my damage is permanent but if they are so far away (which doesn't quite make sense to me) then I'll just have my daughter park in another area. We will be staying offsite so we will have a car since we have 2 young ones with us, DGS and DNph (5yo). Any thoughts would be appreciated. TIA.
AoA May 2014; CSR/Hard Rock Hotel Aug. 2008 (DSis, DNc, DNph & Me); DCL 7-day Western Caribbean Oct. 2006; POP Century July 2005 (Solo); RPR/ASMo (Whole Fa.)Aug/Sept 2004; Disneyland, the Original (DSIL & Me-HOJO Jul/Aug. 2003; CB/Royal Pacific Jul. 2002 (Solo); The Grosvenor and HRH (Mom & Me) Dec. 2001; ASMu and HRH (DNc&Me) Aug. 2001; ASMo (Mom&Me) Jan. 2000; HoJO (DD, DSis, DNc & Me) 1995

msr709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
disney david
DIS Veteran

The handicap lot are the closest at Dhs you can't get any closer to the entrance unless your driving the tram. I think where it get confusing is mk even though the handicap clear to ttc you still far from mk and have to take a ferry or monorail.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
disney david
DIS Veteran

In your case I think of asking the cm for a spot at the end of the row then take the tram In unless your using an ecv then you can't go on the tram. But the handicap lot is the closet.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

The handicapped lots are closer, but they have no tram service.
The regular lots are farther away, but they DO have trams that pick up guests at the end of every row. The trams drop guests off very close to the turnstiles to get into the park.

So, if you park at the handicapped lots, you will park closer, but may have to walk farther.
If you Park in the regular lot, you will park farther, but since you can ride the tram, you may walk a shorter distance.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

MK is where the longest walk and you still need to take ferry or monrail to park. i alsom have a bad knee and pushing stroller helps but MK it is still long and no way around it as parking is not near the park.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
msr709
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for your responses, your replies make it clearer to me. I've always stayed onsite so I know nothing about the parking. Does the tram accept strollers? We will have 2 with us? And as you can see by the ages of our "Star" guests we plan on spending a lot of time at MK. I think the boys will enjoy both the ferry and the monorail so we'll alternate. Since we're staying offsite I'll just rent the ECV from the park. We're going to be 10 days in Fl. but only 4 days at WDW and 1 day at SW. Thanks again.
AoA May 2014; CSR/Hard Rock Hotel Aug. 2008 (DSis, DNc, DNph & Me); DCL 7-day Western Caribbean Oct. 2006; POP Century July 2005 (Solo); RPR/ASMo (Whole Fa.)Aug/Sept 2004; Disneyland, the Original (DSIL & Me-HOJO Jul/Aug. 2003; CB/Royal Pacific Jul. 2002 (Solo); The Grosvenor and HRH (Mom & Me) Dec. 2001; ASMu and HRH (DNc&Me) Aug. 2001; ASMo (Mom&Me) Jan. 2000; HoJO (DD, DSis, DNc & Me) 1995

Old 08-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
Bete
DIS Veteran

Red face I agree with the other posters

with it can still be a far trek from the handicap parking lots to the park entrance especially MK. There are no pictures that would do this justice for you to see how far the park entrance would be from the handicap parking lot. You might want to try u-tube and see if anyone has a video about it. These handicap spots are up front and closest to the park entrance; however, it is dependent on how far down the aisle you need to park the car. As stated previously, an end part of the aisle closer to the park would be best. You are directed to a degree where to park; so, this may not be so easy to get an aisle space closer. What might help is your daughter could let you out at the closest place possible upfront of the handicap parking and then she could circle around to park. This would help a little, not a lot.

The suggestion to find a regular parking spot at the end of the aisle closest to the trams might help, but you need to get the stroller on and off the tram if you want to stay together which may be too much of a hardship. You could take the tram while your daughter walks with the kids, as another alternative, here. You would have to meet up later.

It sounds like it's you and your daughter as the only two adults. I vote for a double stroller (you can rent them) that your daugther will push and I honestly think you should still get an ECV. You can rent an offsite rental scooter (much cheaper than Disney park scooters) that's portable and with most cars you can fit it in the trunk (just get the right size for the car rental). I don't see you lasting very well with pushing a stroller. You do have to have enough room for a double stroller and scooter to fit in the car rental. You may have to bit the bullet and rent a scooter in the park. You walking and pushing a stroller could affect your park time which is valuable, too. You can easily walk 6 to 8 miles a day at the parks. There are some who do 12 miles a day. I'm not qualified to know if rental strollers have any harnesses or safety belts in them and if your 3 year old is an escape artist then that could present another set of problems. You may want to practice at a local zoo with everyone to see how you can last through the day or not pushing a stroller. Most zoos will still be smaller than Disney World.

If you are going to give the stroller pushing a try no matter what then I would strongly suggest alternating your activities in the parks between seeing shows, doing rides, watching parades and eating. That way you can catch a rest, here and there. Avoid long waiting times for rides. I think it would be better to skip the attraction then to be in a line for 45 minutes. You can get fastpass. If you are not acquainted with this it gives you quicker access to the more popular rides.

I'm not sure about your situation, but you may want and need a GAC (guest assitance card). With an autistic child it may be better to have access to alternate ride queues. This can be had at guest services of the parks. You get it once for your whole stay.

Last edited by Bete; 08-30-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

If you or your daughter are able to lift an ECV out of the car trunk, then my suggestion would be for renting an ECV from off-site and for parking in the handicapped parking area.
You may not be the closest to the entrance but if you have an ECV, you won't be walking from the parking area to the entrance anyway.
Trying to get an ECV leader from the park is kind of iffy. Unless you are the park at opening they could easily be all rented out.
There is more information about renting ECVs in post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs. You can find a link to that thread in my signature or can find it near the top of this board.

I would suggest bringing a single stroller with you. The three-year-old will definitely need one but the 5 year old might not. It would be easy to rent a double stroller in the park once you are there if you find that you need it. The park stroller rental area would hold your stroller for you.

A double stroller might be nice but you're going to have difficulty fitting both an ECV and a stroller in the car trunk. A double stroller would definitely not fit. A single stroller might.

The single most helpful thing that people with children on the autism spectrum have reported is being able to use a stroller as a wheelchair. This allows you to bring the stroller in lines and attractions and it is treated like a wheelchair would be. The stroller provides a 'safe haven' and separation for the child from other guests in line and most people find this is extremely helpful.
Guess can use their own stroller or one of the park rental strollers in lines with a sticker or GAC allowing a stroller as wheelchair.

You can find more information about using a stroller as a wheelchair in post six of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. You can also find information there about Guest Assistance Cards (GAC).

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
Bete
DIS Veteran

Arrow The five year old will have to be well behaved

for a single stroller to work for only the three year old. If your daughter is pushing the single stroller and there's no one else with the 5 year old (you are on the scooter), it could be tough if he wanders easily. It might be hard enough getting back and forth from the parking lots with a single stroller and a lose 5 year old. I do believe you can leave your own single stroller at the park rental if you do the double stroller rental there. I believe double stroller rentals in the park are pretty easy to come by if everything can't fit in a rental car.

I think you are in a tough spot here no matter what you do.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
disney david
DIS Veteran

Just to be clear you have to fold the stroller to board the tram and unfold it behind the yellow line once the team comes to a complete and full stop.

Last edited by disney david; 08-30-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
msr709
DIS Veteran

Bete and Sue, thank you very much for your suggestions. The 5yo is my DNph and my DSIL will also be with us. We are staying at the AllStar Vacation Homes offsite and we are planning on staying 10 days, so we can go to a park every other day and give us some down time in between. Both for the sake of my DGS and my knees . We plan to take it as easy as possible but I really didn't want to lug an ECV around specially since I won't be using it for at least 5 days. I know what you are saying is true about the outside ECVs being better but it would be a waste to have it sitting for 5 days and paying for it. We are renting 2 offsite strollers as well. We figured we could all alternate pushing strollers, that way no one is doing it all the time. I'm trying to strenghten my knees as much as possible but I do have a rolling walker that I just might take since its got a seat and its a lot more compact. I'm definitely going to look into the GAC and using the stroller as a wheelchair for my DGS, he does well in it in crowds. Thanks agains for all you help, its very, very helpful.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
Bete
DIS Veteran

Wink An extra pair of adult hands will definitely help

I feel better for you, already.

I still think a rental scooter is a good idea. Even if it sits idle for half the time the offsite scooter rentals are reasonable in price. Keep it in mind even after you get there you can still rent one.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
msr709
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete View Post
I feel better for you, already.

I still think a rental scooter is a good idea. Even if it sits idle for half the time the offsite scooter rentals are reasonable in price. Keep it in mind even after you get there you can still rent one.
You're sooooo right. I just checked out some of the offsite rentals and they are MUCH cheaper than renting at the parks. We plan on getting a minivan, do you all think that would hold the ECV (the one from Apple GoGo something) and 2 City Mini strollers? There are going to be a total of 6 of us, the 2 kids and a 12yo (which I completely forgot, she's also an extra pair of hands and loves the kids) and 3 adults. So we figured a 7 passenger minivan would do the trick??

Old 08-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
Bete
DIS Veteran

Wink You may have to be a little creative to make it all work

Quote:
Originally Posted by msr709 View Post
You're sooooo right. I just checked out some of the offsite rentals and they are MUCH cheaper than renting at the parks. We plan on getting a minivan, do you all think that would hold the ECV (the one from Apple GoGo something) and 2 City Mini strollers? There are going to be a total of 6 of us, the 2 kids and a 12yo (which I completely forgot, she's also an extra pair of hands and loves the kids) and 3 adults. So we figured a 7 passenger minivan would do the trick??
I think it could be cramped, but if everyone is willing to be compromising you might be okay. This means the little ones may have to sit in the van with parts of the scooter in their floor space like the battery. The base of the scooter will have to go in the back first. Then I would start stacking everything else in. Go sideways if you have to do it and see how much of everything will fit. The adults may have to hold a piece of the scooter in their lap like the seat part. The alternative is to get a bigger van if you can do it.

We have rented from Apple Scooters ourselves and we like them. You may have to work out a place to pick it up and drop it off. They don't deliver scooters to the parks; unless, there is a breakdown of a scooter. They do have a location; so, you may have to go there.

Last edited by Bete; 08-30-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #15
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

also are you flying, minivan might not have enough room for suitcases and everyone traveling with you. room enough for scotter but not much else esp from airport. we found out the hard way on a Make A Wish trip. ps i would also look at off site scooter rental. then you have to get to rental car in parking lot.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: