Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #31
talulabelle
DIS Veteran

We are a family of 7 and I have a rule that I never spend more than $2500 (I try to keep it to $2000) on any one week vacation. I am an extreme deal shopper.

Sign up for the southwest visa , there is a thread on here somewhere about it - 50,000 points afte first purchase. If you and hubby both get one separately, that is 100,000 - although you may be able to squeeze 4 rt flights into 50,000 points given your dates. $100 annual fee, but you can cancel before the second year and that is still a good deal. You won't be able to get discounted YES tickets because of the dates you are looking at...but I still think you c ould squeeze it in under $2500 if you get the airfare offer.
talulabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #32
Crazy4Disney06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor View Post
Is it possible to do a trip for $2500 or less? A family of four (two adults, two teens), flying out of PDX. I am thinking, week of Thanksgiving or sometime during Christmas break. Spring break is also a possibility, which is the last full week in March. That could knock of a person. We would like to stay on property, but we could stay off if that is the only way it will work.

Thoughts?
We are also from Oregon and a family of 4. We have done WDW a few times at less than $2500. Last year we stayed at a Value resort on free dining during Christmas break for 5 nights 6 days for just under $1500 dollars plus airfare from PDX to MCO. It can totally be done. This year we are opting to go to Disneyland just because the airfare to MCO is crazy expensive during December.
9-96 ~ WDW - Wilderness Lodge / 6-98 ~ DL (graduation gift) - FairField Inn/ 3-00 ~ DL (DisneyMoon) - Stovalls Inn / 5-03 ~ DL - Super 8/ 7-04 ~ DL - Hyatt Regency Orange County/ 8-21 - 8-27-07 ~ WDW - POP / 10/11 - 10/19/08 ~ WDW - CBR & Disney Wonder / DL ~ 10/5 - 10/9/09 Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel / 12/15 - 12/20/2011 ~ Our first Holiday Season with Mickey @ ASMu / Villas At Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~ D 12/16 - 12/21/12 /Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 1/16 - 1/20/14 /Aulani Hawaiian Resort 8/24 - 8/30/14 / Next Up: / Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 5/7 - 5/10/15

DVC Owners Since 3/2012
Crazy4Disney06 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #33
digiMom
DIS Veteran

I'm using the SW airlines Visa and Rapid Rewards to get free flights. As others said, it was like 50,000 points after first purchase. That's worth about $833. Mine has a $69 annual fee, but I get 3000 each year to help offset that cost. I'm up to over 67,000 now. I've added to my points by doing surveys through e-Rewards when I have the time. You can only do that through an invite, which I got by email. There really are a lot of opportunities to get more points.

I also have a Disney Visa through Chase. I put "everything" on it and pay it off the same month to avoid fees. I currently have almost $400 from that.

If you stayed at POP or one of the AS, you could maybe do it. If your school district starts after labor day, they usually offer free dining the last week of August and it's the second value season. My DD just started high school, so that's one of the times we're currently considering (although it sounds hot!)

If you rent DVC points, I think from the times you're considering Thanksgiving would be best (???) But airfare would be crazy. You can use this to figure out points needed: http://www.dvcrequest.com/PointsCalcNew/PointsCalc.asp

Our first trip with the kids in 2006, we were on a tight budget and had no dining plan. We stayed at All Star Sports. We saved on food by bringing some in our suitcase -- (pop tarts, bread, peanut butter, chips, granola bars, trail mix, juice boxes, etc.) We got refillable mugs and used them to carry drinks with us to the parks (in capped "water bottles" that we brought.) We ate breakfast in our room and packed a lunch and snacks for the parks. We ate one QS meal a day, the portions are enough to share; used the Planet Hollywood voucher for a sit down meal. It wasn't bad.

I found that money saved using ME express and Disney Transportation (no rental car or parking fees) offset the savings of staying offsite.

I didn't mean to write so much Good luck planning!

Me DH DD (17) DS (13)

Jan 2012 POP | Oct 2010 POP | Jan 2006 ASSp | Sept 1992 Off Site (Honeymoon) | Poly and CR in the 70s as a kid
"We keep moving forward, opening new doors... because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." ~ Walter Elias Disney
digiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #34
4GoofyCrew
Mouseketeer

We have done a week for 4 (2 adults/2 kids), including EVERYTHING, for $2500. But...

...it was offseason (January)
...DDP was free
...we were flying from MI not the West Coast

The second time we took the kids it was $3000, thanks to increases in airfare and changes to the DDP.

So it MAY be possible, but you will most likely have to change your dates to offseason. Airfare is going to be peak prices for the dates you are looking at, as well as WDW prices will be peak.
01-2012 AS SPORTS Free DDP
Always dreaming about another trip!
4GoofyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #35
burnurcomputer
DIS Veteran

Maybe you wcould have your kids miss a day +/- what the school vacation days are? that way they will miss some school and it may not be excused but they are only missing a day or two, and could be saving you big $.
burnurcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: