Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #16
jekajekalynn
A Barbie girl in a Bratz world
"Mommy tooted in the toilet! It was Loooooouuuud!!"
We Girls can do anything, right Barbie??

My advice? Stay offsite in a vacation home. Splitting the cost between 4 adults in half will make the cost about 500-600. Added bonus, you get your OWN house to stay in , usually with a pool, and you don't have to cram your family into one small room.

We've done this every time on our WDW vacations.

[IMG][/IMG]
jekajekalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #17
budafam
DIS Veteran

I would suggest looking into Bonnet Creek. We had a 2 bedroom condo there for 7 nights and it was only $693. They're inside Disney's gates and also have bus transportation to/from the parks for free. You can get groceries delivered and make your own meals to save on money. Not sure about the YES program but maybe that could help with ticket costs???

This is why I dread my kids turning into teens... it's going to cost so much more
DxDP 12/3/13-12/10/13
Upcoming Trips: 9/21-9/29 POR & 10/25-10/31 BWV 10/31-11/3 DREAM

budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #18
v.t.
DIS Veteran

If you could arrive on Nov. 15th and fly out on Thanksgiving day, that would help with the airfare, plus you would qualify for free dining. kayak.com compares all the airfares except southwest. Good luck
Old 08-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

This is all great advice, everyone! I am looking into off property, that might be the way to go. And my 2500-3000 budget is excluding food. Also wanted to clarify that our 3 day non park hopper tickets from Undecover Tourist give us a free day, all for $255. So not quite the numbers some were thinking, but still $1000.

Flights are ridiculous. This is why we have never flown cross country before!

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #20
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor View Post
This is all great advice, everyone! I am looking into off property, that might be the way to go. And my 2500-3000 budget is excluding food. Also wanted to clarify that our 3 day non park hopper tickets from Undecover Tourist give us a free day, all for $255. So not quite the numbers some were thinking, but still $1000.

Flights are ridiculous. This is why we have never flown cross country before!
It's the times you are looking at. Everyone and their mother wants to fly on those days so airlines charge very high prices. Other dates are MUCH cheaper!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #21
ctl
Mouseketeer

Flights are very expensive from anywhere right now

The flights are always the most expensive thing. If you are looking at vacation based on school holidays then I would probably lean toward next March as you would have time to really look for cheaper flights/offers/ and book lower cost accomodation or look for FD etc. Trying to rush for Thanksgiving now seems like a tough job, although the decorations are beautiful. Maybe Christmas might be easier if you fly out or back on Xmas day. Just a thought. Also, I think there is still FD if you check in on Dec 20th.
I have 2 teens, so believe me, cost wise, I feel your pain.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #22
importswim
Earning My Ears

I don't think it's realistic. We fly out of PDX also during non-peak timeframe and it is costing us $3900 including staying at POR (7days/6nights), dining, tickets and flight. Surprisingly, booking directly through Disney gave us the best deal on flights (around $1300 for 4 of us to fly from PDX to MCO - I had an AK Air companion fare and couldn't even get close to this amount including that!)
importswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
disneybirds
DIS Veteran

I think the biggest issue is the airfare. We met our family from Portland this summer at Disney. I watched the prices for months and they bought flights for around $500 each. It might be cheaper in the fall/winter than the summer. I would second the opinion of Bonnet Creek or renting a condo in Windsor Hills. Bonnet Creek is a great location and we have enjoyed staying at Windsor Hills.

Good Luck!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #24
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Just remember if you stay offsite that you might end up having to pay for airport transfers or a rental car (and parking fees) that you would not need if staying onsite. Add those costs in.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #25
DanaLynn07
Earning My Ears

Just a tip as a fellow Portlander; Jetblue has a recently introduced flight from PDX to Boston to MCO. It's been hundreds of dollars cheaper than our previously booked flights through JFK in mid September due to its newness. Like $360 roundtrip with taxes last I checked.

Sooo, I'm not sure it will still be cheaper in November (and Jetblue's website isn't working properly at the moment for me to check) but it's definitely something to check out!
DanaLynn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #26
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaLynn07 View Post
Just a tip as a fellow Portlander; Jetblue has a recently introduced flight from PDX to Boston to MCO. It's been hundreds of dollars cheaper than our previously booked flights through JFK in mid September due to its newness. Like $360 roundtrip with taxes last I checked.

Sooo, I'm not sure it will still be cheaper in November (and Jetblue's website isn't working properly at the moment for me to check) but it's definitely something to check out!
Odd, but good for you Portlanders, JetBlue is great to fly SLC to S CA/LGB but super expensive to fly to MCO *and I think you go up to NY 1st. Maybe someday prices will go down, I do like JetBlue.
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #27
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Would you be willing to Priceline bid for flights at the last minute. I am pretty successful in doing that.
Also, I noticed when we went on our cruise that flying into Tampa was much cheaper, from here at least, than into Orlando.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
disneymagicgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #28
Mirax
Mouseketeer

If you are flying and renting a car Tampa would be a better fit for you. Also is your spring break at Easter or a certain week of the year? If it is not the week of Easter you might find some great discounts.
Mirax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #29
DanaLynn07
Earning My Ears

Yeah, Jetblue can even be good if you're just going to JFK. But as I realized on my first Disney World trip my favorite airline gets expensive when going from PDX to MCO!

I was super surprised when I was seeing such low prices to MCO, especially when they had their 20% off sale last week. I've honestly been semi-peeved about it. It could have saved us almost $400 if we had waited and booked our flights late! (that's almost 4 extra Disney days for us as a couple in a value hotel!)
DanaLynn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #30
jerseygirl81
DIS Veteran

Try playing around with the dates and airports a bit, as a previous poster said flying in or out on the holiday can sometimes be cheaper. If your kids can miss a day off possibly try flights a day earlier or a day later. Try surrounding airports near home and Disney and if you decide to stay offsite and rent a car mousesavers has discount codes to use for the different rental car companies. Restaurant.com offers deals on purchasing gift certificates at a discount, ask on the budget boards and they will tell you the good places to go to. Good luck with your trip planning. Linda
Pop Dec 09
CBR Nov 11
CSR Aug 12
POR Nov 13
Wyndham Bonnet Creek Aug 14
jerseygirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: