Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #16
wildzootv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320 View Post
You are so right, yes it hurts but you are doing this out of love for him, you are hurting emotionally so he doesn't have to hurt physically any more, that is real love. You have probably heard this poem before, but in case not here it is for you .

RainbowBridge.com

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Thank you so much. Tears.

DisneyLand - 1973, 2002
DisneyWorld - 1985, 1987, 2005, 2007, 2010 and 2012

Disney Cruise - coming soon 2013
wildzootv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #17
wildzootv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom47 View Post
When our Boo Boo had to be put down last year, my dd and her friend were there with me. I couldn't go in, and neither could dd, so her friend went and stayed with him. I was very grateful for that. Our vet takes a pawprint and puts it on a sympathy card which they sent to us. (We even got Tink's - our hamster - pawprint on a card when we had her put down)
What a kind and dear gesture

DisneyLand - 1973, 2002

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #18
wildzootv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergieTCat View Post
I am so sorry! It is truly a heartwrenching experience.

I put Fergie to sleep in June. She was my buddy for 16 years (and before that, 4 years with my brother). On Wednesday, I made an appointment with the vet for Saturday, and cried my eyes out every day before then. By the time she got there, it was obviously time to put her out of her misery.

I did not stay with her. I was by myself and I could not bring myself to do it (now I'm crying again!). I knew it was a no-win situation, because I still feel bad for leaving her. The vet promised he'd be kind and I said good-bye.

Hugs to you.

DisneyLand - 1973, 2002

Old 09-01-2012, 12:58 AM   #19
wildzootv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by njgrl622 View Post
I can't believe I came across this thread....we just had to put our beloved 16 year old German Shepherd to sleep on 8/29/12. So, I completely understand the place your in. Also, my children are 11 and 7...so we talked to them about what needed to be done and why. My dog could barely stand anymore and the anti-inflammatory meds the vet had prescribed didn't seem to help her anymore.

Both my boys understood and both were upset that she had to leave us to go to a better place. Our vet is an angel and explained everything to me prior to the appointment and I relayed that information to the kids so they didn't have to wonder about how it would go.

This past Weds (my husband and kids came too) we took Ally to the vet. My husband and kids waited in the waiting room and I went in with her. I hugged and petted her the entire time while my angel/vet fed her biscuits with one hand and injected her with the other. And she slowly "went to sleep". She died in my arms, comfortable, and unafraid - the way it should be.

Afterwards, my husband and kids came to see her. Although they did cry, they were able to pet her and kiss her and see that she just looked like she was sleeping.

I know this isn't for everyone. YOU know your children best. Being honest with them and allowing them to share their fears and ask you questions will not only help them cope....it will help you.

My heart goes out to you! I've been in pieces since we made the decision to put Ally down. But I did it out of love and know she's not suffering anymore. It doesn't make my broken heart hurt less or stop me from crying - but it'll get easier I guess....

In a previous post someone mentioned a 2-injection method. This method was used on my cat. 1st, a sedative - then the overdose of barbiturate. But for my dog - the vet gave her the overdose and that was it.

My sincere condelenses. Thank you so much for sharing with me, especially as it was just recent. Hugs to you and your family.

DisneyLand - 1973, 2002

Old 09-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #20
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

wildzootv, someone sent this to me in an email today and I immediately thought of you:

Quote:
A dog's purpose, from a 6 year old philosopher.

... Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa , and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the o ld dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker 's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.''

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live.

He said,''People are born so t hat they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'' The Six-year-old continued,

''Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.''

Live simply.

Love generously.

Care deeply.

Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...
Getting back up is LIVING...

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #21
wildzootv
Mouseketeer

Love. Thank you Pea n me.

DisneyLand - 1973, 2002

Old 09-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #22
Jcricket Fan
UConn Basketball Fan

Just thinking of you OP during this difficult time.

Peace.
Colleen
Old 09-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #23
ToddyLu
Welcome aboard explorers- I love Mr. Ray

Sending thoughts of caring and love your way. I put my 15 year old dachshund down in 2004 after a lenghty illness. She let me know it was time the night before so I made her comfortable and then DH took us as early as possible the following morning. It was quick and painless for her. I stayed home that day and DH gathered her things to put away. We had her cremated. Our family always buried our pets, but with Herra it seemed easier to let go knowing she would still be with me in some way. She came back to us in a precious tin shaped like a dog-bone with puppies decorating it. They had placed her in a white bag protected with tissue paper and sent several cards home with her. Our vet made a small donation in her memory to Auburn University's Verterinary School.

It was very comforting to know she would still be with us. A year later I had the opportunity to rescue a Jack Russell puppy--Trinity. DH had said he wanted one (a JRT) and she just popped into our life when we needed her. She is a precious addition to our family. When/if the time comes to make the decision for her, we will know it--she has been trully loved by us and knows it. She loves us too and we know it.
first trip ASMo 2002, ASMo 2003, ASMo 2004 twice, ASMo 2005, POFQ 2006, Pop 2007, Pop 12/2008 with DDP, AKV SV 10/09 with DDP, AKV SV 12/10, AKV 5/11, AKV SV 10/11, AKV 5/12, AKV 10/12, AKV 11/13, AKV 5/14, AKV 10/14, AKV 5/15, Fall 2016
My DH loves me for my points!!
ToddyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #24
Deesknee
When we were kids (long time ago) they did this with cows.

to the OP, but also to all who have posted of having to allow peace to come to a furry family member. I too had our dog put to sleep. She was in my arms, and DH was beside me. The kids remained at home. DH & I thought we would be "okay". We knew it was the right thing to do. Jewel had been sick for a long time. throat cancer. The vet said it took the least amount of medication she had ever used. I'm not sure if knowing we had waited until the end made me feel better or worse. But, even through the heart break of her final nap in my arms, I knew it was the compassionate thing to do for her.

And, I'm sorry your DH can't be with you during this difficult time. I thank you all for his service in protecting me & my family. God Bless you all.

Vow renewal trip report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post46760210

Triplets + singleton = living happily ever after in Mass
Deesknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #25
Goofierunner
Mickey says, "Now get out there and run!"

A couple of years ago we had to put our cat to sleep. She seemed to go downhill so fast but looking back we could see signs of decline. The vet and her staff were amazingly compassionate. They asked if we wanted to be in the room when it happened. My partner couldn't but for me I had to be there. They gave us some time to say our final goodbyes to dove and my partner left. They had dove on the table so i knelt down in front of her and put my hand near her nose so she could smell me. It was very peaceful and I know I was the last thing she saw before she passed.

First I do this Then I do this but I wish I was at
Goofierunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #26
wildzootv
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofierunner View Post
A couple of years ago we had to put our cat to sleep. She seemed to go downhill so fast but looking back we could see signs of decline. The vet and her staff were amazingly compassionate. They asked if we wanted to be in the room when it happened. My partner couldn't but for me I had to be there. They gave us some time to say our final goodbyes to dove and my partner left. They had dove on the table so i knelt down in front of her and put my hand near her nose so she could smell me. It was very peaceful and I know I was the last thing she saw before she passed.

DisneyLand - 1973, 2002

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: