Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #1471
AussieCaribou
Mouseketeer

Oh! I love surprises.

One year we convinced our DD (6) that we were going to the coast. We had a lot of arranging to do (like taking the dog to the kennel) that we needed to explain. She naturally assumed that we meant South Coast NSW. That's what we had done before. Worked a treat, we were able to get her to help pack, take the dog in, chat with family about checking the house, and all of that. Even when Papa came to get us in the morning, she thought nothing if it. My father in law travels with us a lot.

She started to question things when we stopped at the bus station. After all, we always drive to the coast. 'Nope, this time we have to take the bus first.' To which she replied, 'But the bus is going to Sydney! Not the coast!'

'Hmm...your right. Perhaps you should read this,' and I handed her the paperwork/flight details/hotel bookings - we were doing DL, WDW, DCL and San Diego and New Orleans.

She looked shocked, eyes beamed with tears, she looked at me. My reply, 'we never said which coast, my love'.

Two years later, we went to DL Paris. We arranged for a postcard from Mickey to arrive a week before we left (that way we could do all those required things...). It said, 'Hey, Pal! I miss you. How's about you come visit Minnie, Pluto, and me in Paris next week? Mickey Mouse' we totally lucked out when we got there. We were selected as the family of honour and DD got to open the park with Mickey and was treated like royalty the rest of the day.

This year DD is 14. She knows that next school holidays we are going to DL.

Good luck breaking the news. And have a magical time!!!
AussieCaribou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #1472
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCaribou View Post
Oh! I love surprises.

One year we convinced our DD (6) that we were going to the coast. We had a lot of arranging to do (like taking the dog to the kennel) that we needed to explain. She naturally assumed that we meant South Coast NSW. That's what we had done before. Worked a treat, we were able to get her to help pack, take the dog in, chat with family about checking the house, and all of that. Even when Papa came to get us in the morning, she thought nothing if it. My father in law travels with us a lot.

She started to question things when we stopped at the bus station. After all, we always drive to the coast. 'Nope, this time we have to take the bus first.' To which she replied, 'But the bus is going to Sydney! Not the coast!'

'Hmm...your right. Perhaps you should read this,' and I handed her the paperwork/flight details/hotel bookings - we were doing DL, WDW, DCL and San Diego and New Orleans.

She looked shocked, eyes beamed with tears, she looked at me. My reply, 'we never said which coast, my love'.

Two years later, we went to DL Paris. We arranged for a postcard from Mickey to arrive a week before we left (that way we could do all those required things...). It said, 'Hey, Pal! I miss you. How's about you come visit Minnie, Pluto, and me in Paris next week? Mickey Mouse' we totally lucked out when we got there. We were selected as the family of honour and DD got to open the park with Mickey and was treated like royalty the rest of the day.

Wow, you certainly know how to surprise your DD! Love these stories

DS will dress up as Spiderman at this stage (just bought his costume from Myer in the toy sales, as he'd outgrown his old costume), however he is saying now that he'd like to dress up as a character from Monsters University, so maybe we'll see something when we get over there.

Disney World - Dec 2015
Kristin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #1473
Frosted
Earning My Ears

I dont think I have really checked in here - I read the boards almost everyday but for some reason have felt like it is so long away... until the last week or so.

We are off to the UK and France with 4 days at DLP thrown in! I am excited. My 8 year old DD is excited. My husband is slowly getting excited!! My 2 year old... lets not discuss him. That makes my stress levels rise!

We are departing Sydney on September 6th so 51 days to go and then 73 days until DLP. I have never been to Disney and I am pumped!

I feel better getting my excitement out - I feel like telling everyone from the gas man to the parcel deliverer our plans and realise that not everyone cares that much about my holiday as I do
Frosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #1474
Frosted
Earning My Ears

I am a lunatic - it is actually 69 days until Disney!!! Even more exciting
Frosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #1475
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh! I love surprises.

Those surprises are FANTASTIC! Our kids know we are going to Las Vegas for a friends' wedding. The day after the wedding I'm giving them a pass the parcel with "I'm Going to Disneyland!" tshirts and park maps on the inside My DS1 is six and he'll no doubt read it out to his younger brothers. Then things will get crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosted View Post
I dont think I have really checked in here - I read the boards almost everyday but for some reason have felt like it is so long away... until the last week or so.

We are off to the UK and France with 4 days at DLP thrown in! I am excited. My 8 year old DD is excited. My husband is slowly getting excited!! My 2 year old... lets not discuss him. That makes my stress levels rise!

We are departing Sydney on September 6th so 51 days to go and then 73 days until DLP. I have never been to Disney and I am pumped!

I feel better getting my excitement out - I feel like telling everyone from the gas man to the parcel deliverer our plans and realise that not everyone cares that much about my holiday as I do
I sympathise with the 2yo - I have one myself. He's usually a pretty good kid - despite being a runner - but the past couple of weeks with his brothers on school holidays he's been a bit out of sorts. He's also in that awkward in between stage of dropping his daytime nap, but not quite ready to drop it EVERY day Hopefully things will calm down in the next seven weeks.

It's so bad when you want to scream your excitement from the rooftops but nobody seems to care. At least we have this happy place here

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #1476
5ofus
DIS Veteran

And how could I forget... I made our first Disneyland Dining reservation today!!! Minnie and Friends breakfast in the park for 10:30am on our first Saturday (3rd park day). I figure that way we can get a couple of hours of park time in before the crowds start to pick up and then we'll be safely tucked away meeting the characters (fingers crossed for Captain Hook!). We love this character meal because of the diversity and number of characters - I hope it doesn't disappoint us this time.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #1477
Kiwigirls
Mouseketeer

AussieCaribou - those are amazing surprises!! My DD & DNiece know we are going but I'm hoping to surprise them with one night at DLH!!

5ofus - yay for your first meal booking!! Can't wait till we are close enough to do those!

We did book our Halloween party tickets this morning - for Oct 23rd, so very excited about that!!! Think all the big things are in place now!
Old 07-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #1478
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwigirls View Post

We did book our Halloween party tickets this morning - for Oct 23rd, so very excited about that!!! Think all the big things are in place now!
That's a good date - our wedding anniversary

Old 07-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #1479
LeanneDownUnder
Earning My Ears

Quote:

And have a magical time!!!

OMG that made me Cry!! how wonderful

LeanneDownUnder

DisneyWorld ~ All Star Movie Resort 2000 DS7 DD3 DH & Me!!

Disneyland Halloween 2013 ~ DD16 DD29 and me
Planning Underway for
DisneyWorld December 2015!
LeanneDownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #1480
MsMinne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ofus View Post

While I haven't had Halloween costumes delivered, I already have a rather largeish order from the Disneystore.com site waiting for me at HoJos

I'm surprising my kids with DL too! When/how are you telling yours?
I was going to not tell them until they see us pull up at DLR . Was going to tell them that we are going to drive past since we are nearby.

I've read some beautiful ideas though on here that I might have to copy Although my youngest hates surprises

We will be retuning from 3days at Legoland hotel. I don't want to tell them beforehand because Legoland will just seem lame in comparison!

How are HoJos holding your parcel? Or rather how long will they hold it for? I am thinking if I did order it would be a few days before We arrive...I might just tell them we are ordering them for Aussie Halloween. they will believe that because it's a major event here where we live. Children venture from everywhere to trick n treat in our streets!
MsMinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #1481
Michaella
Mouseketeer

We surprised our children with our 2010 trip.

We spent the morning ice skating, then went to Disney on Ice. On our arrival at home the children found a note addressed to them.. it was the beginning of a treasure hunt with clues along the way. They included check in the letterbox, look in the fridge, feed the bird then look under the bird seed box :P .. At the end of the treasure hunt they were led to our dining table which we covered with Disney souvenirs, a plush mickey and Minnie and maps. We also had helium balloons, shirts, 1st visit pins etc. (I snuck back to set it all up whilst my husband took the kids to see his parents in the morning.)

Here is a pic.

DS 12 DD 9

Jan 1996 Tokyo Disney
Sept 1999 Disneyland
Sept 2010 Disneyland
Sept 2013 Disneyland and Disneyworld... and MNSSHP
Michaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #1482
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMinne View Post

I was going to not tell them until they see us pull up at DLR . Was going to tell them that we are going to drive past since we are nearby.

I've read some beautiful ideas though on here that I might have to copy Although my youngest hates surprises.

How are HoJos holding your parcel? Or rather how long will they hold it for? I am thinking if I did order it would be a few days before We arrive...I might just tell them we are ordering them for Aussie Halloween. they will believe that because it's a major event here where we live. Children venture from everywhere to trick n treat in our streets!
My eldest needs a day to get use to the idea, which is why we are telling them the day before, otherwise I'd love to just turn up

I emailed HoJos asking if they were okay to hold it. They've been super friendly and helpful. They received it about 9 weeks before our check in date.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #1483
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Exciting news for DCL cruisers during Oct and late Sep - Halloween celebrations are coming to the ships.

According to this article, it looks like my Sep 21st Fantasy cruise will just slip into the applicable dates. Woohoo! Even more things to look forward to.

http://dclnews.com/2013/07/17/a-frig...s-halloween-2/
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #1484
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Exciting news for DCL cruisers during Oct and late Sep - Halloween celebrations are coming to the ships.

According to this article, it looks like my Sep 21st Fantasy cruise will just slip into the applicable dates. Woohoo! Even more things to look forward to.

http://dclnews.com/2013/07/17/a-frig...s-halloween-2/
Congrats! Super magic.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:42 AM   #1485
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

51 days

australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: