Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #1111
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

hi all, sorry i have been a little bit absent of late.

teddykins, sounds like you're dealing with a travel situation not unlike my own. i love my travel partners to death, but when they don't get what you're trying to impart about wdw in terms of sheer size and scope etc, it can be a little frustrating.

also... don't just give in and go with the flow. i am a people pleaser. i love to make others happy. but on our last trip, i spent so much of my time and my trip experiences managing my other traveller's moods that i didn't get as much enjoyment out of it as i should/could have. having said that, my planning experience for my upcoming trip has been...very different to our last trip.

you have clearly worked hard for this opportunity and i would hate to see your experience soured even the tiniest little bit by a recalcitrant friend

in relation to our current trip (5 and a half months now, eek ), my plans are definitely coming along.

we have 1.5 days at wdw after a 6 day stretch at dlr. i know most of you would reverse that and do more days at wdw and less at dlr but my family LOVES dlr and wants to spend as much time there as possible. my dh wants to be there for his birthday, and we've arranged to attend the halloween party while there as well. i have to wait until the 30 day mark before making our ADR at dlr, and that seems like not enough time, especially compared to the 180 day reservation policy at wdw! we were lucky enough to be able to secure a late lunch ressie at cinderella's royal table in MK on our day there, and at the 166 day mark, which i thought was truly awesome i know it has mixed reviews, but my travellers are looking for great experiences and cindy is my sister's favourite princess, so that worked out nicely for us as it's such an expensive meal (okay, it's not the 100s of $$ that le cellier is etc, but it's certainly a lot more than the CS budget i think my traveller's are prepared to pay) i have arranged to pay for all of us, so that will be a nice surprise.

still a lot left to reserve & pay off before we leave, but it's all planned out, i have timelines and deadlines and Gant Charts and everything has been decided upon, it's now just prying that money from the fists of my travellers to pay for things, and we'll be golden

my travellers have all expressed a desire to do a more 'go with the flow' travel plan, and since my style is a little more organised, i have decided to compromise...

my plan (borrowed from australiankaren, thank you )
- daily a5 itinerary, with pictures and colours to keep them interested, with each day shown on a separate page, laminated, and bound together on a flip ring.

- each page showing the park/attraction/location for the day, opening & closing times, any attractions/parades/shows scheduled that we want to hit for that day, any relevant booking numbers for flights, ADRs, transport etc down the bottom

- a disney themed digital watch

- a usa sim card for our phones.

the way the plan will work (ideally):
the day before the trip, each traveller gets their ring bound laminated book thingo showing what the general outline/plan is for each day. this gives them a heads up as to what to expect, without being bogged down with detail.

this also puts ownership and responsibility for the amount of info/detail they require onto them. if they want to be fully informed, they can be. if all they want is the glossy highlights and knowing they need to be at X location by a certain time, they can be. no muss, less fuss. one for each of them means more individual freedom with the info and less 'where did you put the book with the important info, omg you lost it again didn't you' kind of conversations

confirmation numbers and details are included at the bottom of every page, for a quick look reference point in case they are needed.

watch & sim card allow us to accurately pinpoint time and communicate about locations/expected arrival times at meeting points etc without being attached at the hip.

it might sound like this is a crazy uber plan, but after our last trip when we were all attached at the hip and my travellers didn't want to know anything but were constantly asking me when shows were and how much time til we had to be in certain places... this will be a welcome relief for all of us
Old 05-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #1112
teddykins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Hi teddykins. Apologies if it sounded like I was presuming things I shouldn't. I just remembered you mentioning that Le Cellier was the one booking your friend didn't know about, so I thought it might be worth mentioning.

It's good that you have been talking to her about it today. You sound like you are prepared to give up a lot of your own wishes to accommodate her so you must be a good friend.

Lastly, you needn't feel like you have to justify why Disney is so important to you. Lot's of us here haven't had half the health concerns you have, and this trip still has us very excited. Who knows what is around the corner, we might as well all enjoy life while we can
That's ok I can see how one could read that the wrong way. I just meant she didn't know I made the reservation until the next day but knew I was looking at doing it; I was umming and ahhing about making it (or any ADR's) for the last month so I think she was just a bit surprised as a few days before I had said I wasn't going to do it and then did it. I confused her I guess.

I'm always willing to give stuff up if it pleases my friends especially on holiday's, I've been on some where one little thing has just set us all off and it ruins the whole holiday so I'd rather give in than face that kind of situation. My best friend is always telling me off as I have a hard time saying no to people and then it comes back to bite me in the butt.

I wasn't justifying it I was just explaining the conversation that transpired between us She couldn't understand why I was so excited to get to Disney and only so-so excited about the BSB Cruise (she's the opposite), a lot of people don't realise what being tied to a Dialysis machine does to a person, it really does crush your soul and after a while you start thinking that the phone call you've been waiting for will never come so places like America, Europe, Asia etc are out of the question because travelling on Dialysis is like trying to travel with a 1000kg weight strapped to your back. I was lucky when I went to NZ as the Dialysis type I was on at the time allowed a bit more freedom to travel as the company has a HQ over there so they were able to get me my supplies and a machine (I was home Dialysing), when I questioned about the US I got a quick "heck no that's impossible. Sorry" Then one morning in 2011 I got a phone call and the person on the other end said "we have a kidney for you, how soon can you get here?" and everything changed, no more Dialysis, no more food and drink restrictions, less tablets to take, more freedom to live life and best of all the freedom to go away when ever I wanted to; I didn't have to ask my doctors first, organise it with my Dialysis centre, watch what I ate, watched what I drank.. I was free and let me tell you, it feels bloody awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
teddykins, sounds like you're dealing with a travel situation not unlike my own. i love my travel partners to death, but when they don't get what you're trying to impart about wdw in terms of sheer size and scope etc, it can be a little frustrating.

also... don't just give in and go with the flow. i am a people pleaser. i love to make others happy. but on our last trip, i spent so much of my time and my trip experiences managing my other traveller's moods that i didn't get as much enjoyment out of it as i should/could have. having said that, my planning experience for my upcoming trip has been...very different to our last trip.

you have clearly worked hard for this opportunity and i would hate to see your experience soured even the tiniest little bit by a recalcitrant friend
Thanks Alicia, I'm a people pleaser too, I hate saying no especially to my friends I feel really bad when I do! I honestly don't think anything can really spoil my time over there - even if I don't get to do all the things I want to do I will just keep telling myself if I was back in Australia I would be tied to a Dialysis machine or I could be dead how ever I am IN Disney and I am free so it's not so bad.

Sounds like you have a great plan for this time around though, you're so organised!!
teddykins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #1113
disneyismyhappyplace
Earning My Ears

WDW Sept - Oct

I've just joined the boards.
DD(12) and I will be coming to Walt Disney World September 14th - Oct 4th. Staying at AKL -OKW-AKL
Can't wait!!
disneyismyhappyplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #1114
jessiegirl84
Mouseketeer

There is alot of chatter going on about the free dinning offer from September 2- 25, will be released on 9 May. Is anyone else going to ring up and see if we can get it ??

Jess & Dave - 2 Aussies engaged and married in the most magical place on earth!
jessiegirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #1115
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyismyhappyplace View Post
DD(12) and I will be coming to Walt Disney World September 14th - Oct 4th. Staying at AKL -OKW-AKL
Can't wait!!
welcome to the anzac disboards.......and a lot of us are in wdw sept .....so expect to hear aussie accents all over the joint...

cant wait to hear your reviews re OKW..

roll on september
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #1116
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Can't wait!!
Welcome to the boards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl84 View Post
There is alot of chatter going on about the free dinning offer from September 2- 25, will be released on 9 May. Is anyone else going to ring up and see if we can get it ??

I believe the people with a Disney Visa card have already gotten FD, so it will be available to the general public soon One of the PTRs I'm following said she applied for the Visa card and she got FD applied to her booking earlier this week.
It's just outside my dates and besides, I'm doing DVC rental so I won't qualify. Congrats if it applies and the numbers work out well for you.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #1117
Nixie
DIS Veteran

We have not completely booked it yet.... But our tenative plans are Oct 13th - 19th at POR.

Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #1118
Minniemum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Can't wait!!
Welcome! That's some stay you've got planned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
We have not completely booked it yet.... But our tenative plans are Oct 13th - 19th at POR.
Here's to your tentative plans becoming reality.

DLR - 1/92 O/S, 3/99 O/S, 6/99 O/S, 3/05 DLH, 9/08 DLH, 9/09 DLH, 9/13 O/S
DLP - 9/98
DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - 9/13
WDW - 4/98 O/S, 10/10 POP, 9/11 POFQ, 9/12 POFQ, 9/13 POFQ, 9/14 POFQ

Minniemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #1119
coco392
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl84 View Post
going to be on phone tonight - hope we get through quick. scared if phone bill!!!!!!

good luck
coco392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #1120
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco392 View Post
going to be on phone tonight - hope we get through quick. scared if phone bill!!!!!!

good luck
good luck with free dining

your phone bill shouldn't be too high. most home phone & even mobile phone plans have usa calls at a rate of cents per minute. i know with my phone plan, calls to the usa are only 2c/min, and the longest call i was on cost me $1.04 or something crazy like that... that's a lot of minutes for a whole lot of cheap phone bill
Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #1121
coco392
Mouseketeer

crunching numbers now to see if an upgrade to moderate is worth it- gees its hard work !!!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #1122
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco392 View Post
crunching numbers now to see if an upgrade to moderate is worth it- gees its hard work !!!
Whoever said that going on a holiday was relaxing......

Obviously NEVER spent any time on the DisForum.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 05-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #1123
coco392
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post

Whoever said that going on a holiday was relaxing......

Obviously NEVER spent any time on the DisForum.
can't argue with that. have been three times before but that was before I knew about DIS.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #1124
PrincessInOz
in

Hope the numbers work out for you. Seems like a lot of people on the Dis are waiting for FD tonight.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #1125
PrincessInOz
in

Congrats to those who find that FD is worth it for them.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: