Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #1096
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddykins View Post
Thanks! It was very painful one minute it would let me look than another it said I had to be a resort guest and it couldn't find my resort booking. When I thought I finally got it done it reset and didn't book it even though I went through the name, address, phone number and cc number so gave up and used my dads PC - I had to also go through the old site because the new one still refuses to link the reservation to my account lol.

I hope so, mixed reviews but my friend only had a steak requirement for the restaurant and its in her favourite country so hopefully we both love it. Have only booked the one, we seem to be wanting different touring styles (she wants to sleep while I want to go go see as much as I can) and she accused me of doing all the planning today without consulting her which just isn't true, I've always asked her opinion on which days she wants to go where and which restaurant takes her fancy etc, I'm totally gutted she would think such a thing I booked Le Cellier without her 'knowing' (she didn't respond to my messages) but I booked it because I didn't know if 6.15 would still be there today and also because it says you can cancel any time up to the day before so IF she didn't want to go then no biggie; we could cancel it.

Now I am hesitant to book anything else or even try to plan which parks we'll be at with her..she wants to wing it but I don't believe after everything I've read the last few months that first timers should wing it but guess we'll see how that unfolds over the next few months. I honestly feel lost now, like we're going in blind but feel like nothing I say will change her mind. I hate going in blind
I highly recommend making the bookings and then deciding later. I would also call rather than use the website if you have a few to make.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #1097
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Are you going to wait to August for the ESTA? Weird that yours was pending for 2 days. Are you on some persona non grata list????

Our passports are okay.
We aren't waiting for our ESTAs, I'm going to do them as soon as I have our passports renewed. But our next trip is in 2015 and will be December so our ESTAs will need to be renewed anyway.

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #1098
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks! It was very painful one minute it would let me look than another it said I had to be a resort guest and it couldn't find my resort booking. When I thought I finally got it done it reset and didn't book it even though I went through the name, address, phone number and cc number so gave up and used my dads PC - I had to also go through the old site because the new one still refuses to link the reservation to my account lol.

I hope so, mixed reviews but my friend only had a steak requirement for the restaurant and its in her favourite country so hopefully we both love it. Have only booked the one, we seem to be wanting different touring styles (she wants to sleep while I want to go go see as much as I can) and she accused me of doing all the planning today without consulting her which just isn't true, I've always asked her opinion on which days she wants to go where and which restaurant takes her fancy etc, I'm totally gutted she would think such a thing I booked Le Cellier without her 'knowing' (she didn't respond to my messages) but I booked it because I didn't know if 6.15 would still be there today and also because it says you can cancel any time up to the day before so IF she didn't want to go then no biggie; we could cancel it.

Now I am hesitant to book anything else or even try to plan which parks we'll be at with her..she wants to wing it but I don't believe after everything I've read the last few months that first timers should wing it but guess we'll see how that unfolds over the next few months. I honestly feel lost now, like we're going in blind but feel like nothing I say will change her mind. I hate going in blind

I 'winged it' on my first trip to WDW back in 1997. It wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't recommend it now. With ADRs and the sheer magnitude of WDW at least SOME organisation and forethought is really needed to have a fabulous time.

Sounds like your traveling companion might have been having a bad day? Are you planning on splitting up and spending time apart from each other? Maybe she can have a sleep in while you're off doing rope drop one day? In the trip I took in 1997, it was a group of three of us girls. It was a four week trip and by the third week we all needed some space to ourselves. Traveling with a friend can be quite an experience...

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #1099
teddykins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Oh teddykins, that doesn't sound ideal. Quite often in your posts you mention that you are planning something to keep your traveling companion happy. It sounds as though you are trying your very best to accommodate her. But in saying that, you are only at WDW for such a short time, I can understand you wanting do things a certain way and save the sleeping in for another day.

I agree that winging it isn't the best plan. Have you guys sat around and looked at WDW information together? Try and show her stuff that will excite her and casually throw in a few articles about the benefits of making ADRs, making rope drops, and looking at predicted crowd levels etc. Usually people who want to wing it just don't understand much about a first visit to WDW.
If all else fails, like Minniemum says, just make bookings anyway. You can always cancel them. Also, if it was me, I would head out early each morning and make a time a few hours later to meet my friend in the park. A few hours apart each day is often good for morale and needn't be a bad thing.
I do wish we hadn't been in such a hurry to book our flights, we could have added another day or two there once we realised how big wdw is but will know for next time. I've been trying my hardest to accommodate her in every way possible, haven't made a single move without telling her about it so I really don't know where this accusation came from, maybe she did have a bad day I'm not sure but I think its just she wants to wing it and doesn't want to be "tied down" to a touring plan how ever I was only planning on mapping out which parks on which days, getting up early and that was it, the rest was kind of winging it. She doesn't even want to see the fireworks shows as she saw the one at DL and thinks they're the same..is wishes the same as DL? They don't have Illuminations over there do they? (I think she went in 2009) that was another reason why I booked Le Cellier for 6.15

She's been to DL so has seen and ridden most of the rides and said a while ago that what ever I wanted to do is fine with her, she thinks I'm reading too much into wdw and that I should just relax and go with the flow. At first before I started researching it I fully agreed with her that taking it 1 day at a time will be good but now I've seen just how big it is and want to plan a little bit. As much as I hate going to places on my own I think you're totally right, a few hours apart won't kill us and after being around each other for almost 2 weeks it will probably be a welcomed thing - it did wonders for my best friend and I during our NZ trip, we were about to kill each other.

Haven't really looked at other restaurants much, there's just so many to choose from and since I'm not sure where we will be at lunch/dinner time it seems hard to book them as don't want to be running around too much (we do have hoppers) but is there any you recommend us trying? Anything but seafood as we both don't eat it.

I also spoke to her about photopass+ and she thinks its a waste of money as can just use our own cameras and I said yeah that's true but it would be good to have pics with both of us in them. Usually I am the designated photographer in my group of friends so most pics I'm not even in, she doesn't like her photo being taken though so maybe that's why she doesn't want it but I was going to order it any way as I think it'll be nice to have. Is there a limit on how many pics you can take or how many you can order before you need to pay for them? Doesn't make sense to me that Disney would let you print out say 300 pics for only $150/$200 but maybe I'm not understanding it right?

Its been good to be able to get all this off my chest, I can't really talk about this to anyone here because they've never been to wdw so they don't understand what the "fuss" is, you guys have all been so wonderful so thank you
teddykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #1100
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
I do wish we hadn't been in such a hurry to book our flights, we could have added another day or two there once we realised how big wdw is but will know for next time. I've been trying my hardest to accommodate her in every way possible, haven't made a single move without telling her about it so I really don't know where this accusation came from, maybe she did have a bad day I'm not sure but I think its just she wants to wing it and doesn't want to be "tied down" to a touring plan how ever I was only planning on mapping out which parks on which days, getting up early and that was it, the rest was kind of winging it. She doesn't even want to see the fireworks shows as she saw the one at DL and thinks they're the same..is wishes the same as DL? They don't have Illuminations over there do they? (I think she went in 2009) that was another reason why I booked Le Cellier for 6.15

She's been to DL so has seen and ridden most of the rides and said a while ago that what ever I wanted to do is fine with her, she thinks I'm reading too much into wdw and that I should just relax and go with the flow. At first before I started researching it I fully agreed with her that taking it 1 day at a time will be good but now I've seen just how big it is and want to plan a little bit. As much as I hate going to places on my own I think you're totally right, a few hours apart won't kill us and after being around each other for almost 2 weeks it will probably be a welcomed thing - it did wonders for my best friend and I during our NZ trip, we were about to kill each other.

Haven't really looked at other restaurants much, there's just so many to choose from and since I'm not sure where we will be at lunch/dinner time it seems hard to book them as don't want to be running around too much (we do have hoppers) but is there any you recommend us trying? Anything but seafood as we both don't eat it.

I also spoke to her about photopass+ and she thinks its a waste of money as can just use our own cameras and I said yeah that's true but it would be good to have pics with both of us in them. Usually I am the designated photographer in my group of friends so most pics I'm not even in, she doesn't like her photo being taken though so maybe that's why she doesn't want it but I was going to order it any way as I think it'll be nice to have. Is there a limit on how many pics you can take or how many you can order before you need to pay for them? Doesn't make sense to me that Disney would let you print out say 300 pics for only $150/$200 but maybe I'm not understanding it right?

Its been good to be able to get all this off my chest, I can't really talk about this to anyone here because they've never been to wdw so they don't understand what the "fuss" is, you guys have all been so wonderful so thank you
If I remember correctly, you have 4 or 5 days at WDW, right?

Are you more of a breakfast, lunch or dinner person? What about your friend?

For this amount of time and if finances allowed, I would be tempted to book into 5 or 6 table service meals.
If you were a breakfast person, you might want to consider 2 character breakfast meals. If you and your friend are early risers, then you might want to consider seeing if you can book in breakfast early in the parks.
  • Tusker House for AK (Donald and friends)
  • Crystal Palace for MK (Pooh and friends)
  • Akershus for Epcot (Princesses)

Otherwise, take a look at 'Ohana at the Polynesian Hotel or 1900 Park Fare at Grand Floridian.

For the table service places that I like:
  • Liberty Tree Tavern at MK. I am trying Tony's this time round. And Be Our Guest and CRT are also very popular at MK.
  • Chefs de France, Marrakesh, Teppen Edo, Rose and Crown at Epcot. I also like Nine Dragons, depending on what you order.
  • Yak and Yeti, Tusker House and Flame Tree at AK. Rainforest Café can also be found at AK; but you can eat at RC in various cities around the US.
  • I like Sci Fi Dine In at DHS. Gonna be eating at Hollywood Brown Derby this time round. We tend to just grab counter service at DHS and have a very big breakfast before we get to this park.

You could also consider dining at DTD; and there are a myriad of restaurants there.

Your alternative to booking in ADRs is to eat Counter Service. You might consider having a conversation with your friend to see if this style of dining suits her. Because.....unless you decide on Table service now, you might find that CS is about your only viable options within the park.

If she doesn't want to entertain the thought of ADRs now, I would recommend that you book a table for yourself at the places you want to eat. That way, you'll have a table for 1 and I know from experience, that effectively means that you'll have a table that can accommodation 2 people anyway. If nothing else, you know you'll have something locked in for yourself (and time apart) and if she wants to join you, she can.
Of course, this means that you kinda need to know which parks you're likely to be in on that day/afternoon because it does take about 30 - 60 minutes to park hop at WDW.

In regards to PP, you're buying the rights to all the digital pictures. Whether you get 2 or 2000, it doesn't matter. Disney will send you ALL your pictures on a CD (or two or 8); plus the ones that you modify with the special borders, signatures etc that you have in your account. I even saved copies in different print sizes. It is completely up to you how many variants you have of the same picture. When you get the CD, how many you print is completely up to you.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #1101
teddykins
Mouseketeer

Wow thanks Pio! We're there for 4.5 days but our first day is already booked as we're coming in from Universal and heading straight to MK for mnsshp so effectively just 3.5 days but I'm not sure if the budget will allow us to do too many restaurants, will ask my friend if she wants to do more than one though. We had tossed with the idea of doing a character dining with either Chip & Dale or Donald but not sure how she feels about that now especially if we end up meeting them in the parks, she might feel like it was a waste of money but I'll definitely pass all this into her.

I see that makes better sense, thanks a bunch for your post Pio
Old 05-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #1102
Caroline NZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
So.....I have two ESTAs to renew and I'm sitting here trying my hardest not to get them too early. I was thinking of waiting to August; but it just seems such a long time away right now.

Is it July yet?

PIO - I feel the same.
DS's passport expires in Jan14. So I should get it renewed in Aug and do the ESTAs then ( DH has just done his as he is over there now - work pays anyway).
But I want to get it all out of the way NOW, especially the passport renewal.
Will try and hold out to July though, if I can do it you can to
Sep/Oct 2013 - 5 weeks California & surrounds road trip, ending of course in Disneyland
Oct 2014 - First trip to WDW planned!
Caroline NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #1103
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Wow thanks Pio! We're there for 4.5 days but our first day is already booked as we're coming in from Universal and heading straight to MK for mnsshp so effectively just 3.5 days but I'm not sure if the budget will allow us to do too many restaurants, will ask my friend if she wants to do more than one though. We had tossed with the idea of doing a character dining with either Chip & Dale or Donald but not sure how she feels about that now especially if we end up meeting them in the parks, she might feel like it was a waste of money but I'll definitely pass all this into her.

You can definitely meet the characters in the parks.

The strategy for character dining vs meet them in the parks depends on how busy it is and what you want to do with your time. We've spent time queueing in the park to meet and greet. We also like eating and when combined with meeting the characters, it seems like a good time saver to us as we would rather spend time in the park going on rides.

It comes down to what you prefer to do.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #1104
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline NZ View Post
PIO - I feel the same.
DS's passport expires in Jan14. So I should get it renewed in Aug and do the ESTAs then ( DH has just done his as he is over there now - work pays anyway).
But I want to get it all out of the way NOW, especially the passport renewal.
Will try and hold out to July though, if I can do it you can to
1. Mother's Day this weekend.
2. Queen's Birthday mid June.
3. July. It's July. It's July!!

Yup. I think I can.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:41 AM   #1105
cola
Mouseketeer

Teddykins, you've got the idea that WDW is HUGE That is a great start understanding that before you get there. For a first trip, I wouldn't worry about ADRs, a first trip is about the parks. There are plenty of places to eat, you will not starve without an ADR, it's just that you won't dine at any of the ridiculously popular places because they will be full. For a short first trip, dining options can be pretty low on the priority scale, and that is OK!

I would suggest figure out what parades/shows/fireworks you want to see and decide by park crowds which park to go to. Decide what rides are absolutely must do rides, check if they have a FastPass option. Check if there are any rides only one of you wants to do if they have a single rider line. Due to the sleeping in needs, don't go to any park that has EMH that morning before you arrive, it will be packed, only go to an Extra Magic Hour park if you can get there at EMH rope drop (opening), otherwise avoid that park and hope everyone else has gone to EMH.

Decide on the number one must do ride for each park and go there first. You are going to miss a lot due to your short visit, it really doesn't matter how much you miss, you are not going to cover everything, relax and enjoy what you come across without the pressure of being at an ADR at a certain place at a certain time. If you and your friend can be slightly flexible about eating very early or very late, you can sometimes fit into even popular places as a walk up because some ADR hasn't arrived. Lunch at 11:30am or 3pm can have quite a bit of availability for a party of 2. Lunch between 12 and 2:30, you may have to make do with bland CS, though that could be your pre-3pm lunch snack.......

You know how big WDW is, you know you can't just flit from one park to the other in a few minutes, that is way ahead of most first timers.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #1106
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Is budget concerning your friend? If so, have you checked she is okay with paying Le Cellier prices? I refuse to eat there as I just can't justify paying over US$40 for a steak meal when I know I can get some pretty amazing steaks for MUCH cheaper here in NZ. I have to be honest; if I had a friend take me to a high priced restaurant like that and I wasn't prepared for the prices in advance, I would be feeling a tad livid when it came time to split the bill. I'm not saying you should cancel the booking (going by the reviews it must be pretty nice and plenty of other people are comfortable with the prices), but I would advise giving your friend a heads-up on this one.

Have you shown her some of the themed restaurants onsite? These are the ones that have me the most excited as they're so far removed from anywhere I can eat at home. If my $16 burger at Sci Fi Diner isn't the best I've ever tasted, I'll still be happy I got to eat at a 'drive-in'. Similar scenario with the likes of 50' prime Time Cafe, Biergarten, San Angel Inn, and some of character meal places. Perhaps if you show your friend some of the more unique places, she'll be swayed by the atmosphere, if not the food.

As PIO has already mentioned, the photopass and photopass plus includes the CD, not the prints. I wonder if you would get your money's worth in just 3.5 days? Possibly. I don't have the experience with it to know. But if it means dragging your friend kicking and screaming around all the photographers, perhaps it might be better value to just pay for one or two photos on their own.

Lastly, I would be practically pulling my hair out if my travel companion was opposed to both mornings and evenings (fireworks etc) in the park. I think perhaps a discussion and compromise might be in order with this one. Explain how your want to be organised and do a lot is not going to fit in well with her plans to wing it and take it easy. Perhaps you could ask her if you can be responsible for planning 2 days and the on the other 1.5 days you'll take it more at her pace. Or alternatively, as already suggested, you tour alone in the morning and meet her at certain times in the parks.
I think your relationship with your travel companions has the potential to make or break a holiday. It's important to iron out as many possible issues as early as possible. I travelled to Barcelona with my best mate,and while we had a great time, irritability was beginning to show by the end of it. I think if we travelled again together, I would schedule a bit of time for doing our own thing.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #1107
Minniemum
DIS Veteran

PiO, Cola and WanderlustNZ have given you some fantastic advice. We love, love, love Le Cellier but it is on the $$$ side. As your friend has already been to DLR, I'd be inclined to choose unique and fun dining experiences to highlight WDW's point of difference (nice list Wanderlust )

Finding the right balance when travelling with friends can be difficult. With open communication, I'm sure you'll both be able to find a touring plan that works for both of you, even if that means spending some of your time apart at the parks.

DLR - 1/92 O/S, 3/99 O/S, 6/99 O/S, 3/05 DLH, 9/08 DLH, 9/09 DLH, 9/13 O/S
DLP - 9/98
DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - 9/13
WDW - 4/98 O/S, 10/10 POP, 9/11 POFQ, 9/12 POFQ, 9/13 POFQ, 9/14 POFQ

Minniemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #1108
CJ2001
Mouseketeer

Hi teddykins

We went to Disneyland last year & I had spent ages planning our trip but was totally unprepared for how big DL, even though I went when I was younger. We had no plan when we went in there & only had a 3 day pass & it was not enough time we still missed so many things.

When I looked into WDW, i borrowed the Fodors guide & I couldn't believe how much planning needed to be done & how many parks there are & how you have to book 180 days in advance for dining. I haven't been to WDW but I have nearly a folder of information & maps that I will be taking when we do go.

It sounds like you friend wants a relaxing holiday, but it is going to be complete opposite. I have never been more exhausted in my life then when we went to DL, never ever fallen into bed before but I did on that holiday!

Hope everything works out
CJ2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #1109
teddykins
Mouseketeer

We spoke a bit more today about it all and I found out that she isn't looking forward to this side of the trip as is worrying about money (she lost her job a few months ago due to the boss being an idiot and the ATO catching up to him and is scared it'll happen again) and had the feeling of not wanting to see much of wdw because she had seen it at DL how ever once we have everything paid off and are on our way she thinks she will feel much better about it all, she asked why she couldn't be as excited about it as I appear to be and I told her I'm excited because 1.5 years ago I was stuck to a Dialysis machine 3x a week for 4-5 hours at a time not knowing if I was going to live or die the next day due to the Kidney failing.. never in my wildest dreams did I think I would get the chance to visit a Disney park. It's been a very long 29 year road to get to this point and my transplanted Kidney could fail at any second so I need to grab life by the head and just live it while I can; this includes trying to cram every last minute out of places like Disney World because I really don't know if or when I'll be back. I could end up back on the transplant list and Dialysis in the next 2 hours, for all I know.

She knows about Le Cellier and it's prices, we've been talking about eating here for months now. I didn't just spring this reservation on her with no prior warning at all I'm definitely not like that. I told her today that we can cancel it if she wants too I am ok either way, I just thought she wanted to eat at a steak place like she told me months ago and she told me to leave it and just see if the budget can put it in if not we will cancel it. She was even looking at a place to have a character lunch/dinner today so she clearly wants to do the restaurants, I do know we won't die without them.

I've already done the ride list and the crowed calendar etc, she has a few on her list which are the same as mine.. I think the only one I want to try that she isn't too crash hot on is mission space but she's said she'll try it once and I mean that's all you need..I'm not too crash hot on it either but hey we're there why not give it a shot? You never know you may find you love it, has happened to me plenty of times at theme parks.

I won't be dragging her around kicking and screaming at all, not by a long shot. If she doesn't want her photo taken then she doesn't have to it's a simple as that but as I said I'm not sure if I'm going to get it yet, we shall see

Thanks CJ, in the end if she doesn't "come around" (I use the term loosely) then I will just give in and do it her way, go with the flow.. at least I will be at Disney and that is the main thing. This whole thing would be sorted if we hadn't been so quick to buy into that Qantas sale

Last edited by teddykins; 05-06-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #1110
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Hi teddykins. Apologies if it sounded like I was presuming things I shouldn't. I just remembered you mentioning that Le Cellier was the one booking your friend didn't know about, so I thought it might be worth mentioning.

It's good that you have been talking to her about it today. You sound like you are prepared to give up a lot of your own wishes to accommodate her so you must be a good friend.

Lastly, you needn't feel like you have to justify why Disney is so important to you. Lot's of us here haven't had half the health concerns you have, and this trip still has us very excited. Who knows what is around the corner, we might as well all enjoy life while we can
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: