Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #1081
aussie shaz
DIS Veteran

Hi Leanne,
Congrats on your upcoming trip. Sounds great.

Re Disneyland accommodation. We went in 2011 and stayed at the Park Vue. It was a great little motel and sooooo close to the entry to Disneyland. This time , in 15 days, we are staying at the Hojo. We picked this for a few reasons. The main one, which wouldn't affect you, was that they have a family suite (so we all get beds). The second being the nice resort style pool and kids water play area, and the third all the good reports it gets. It is further away though, and I hope we don't regret it when we walk past all of the closer motels.

In your case, with only the 2 of you, and your daughter being older, you have so many more choices.

I would go to Tripadvisor and look at the reviews, then maybe go to Disboards and check what people are saying there too. There is also a good thread on the Disboards Disneyland forum covering all of the walking distance motels, their pros and cons.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #1082
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneDownUnder View Post
Hi there,

Newbie Disney Fan here. DD (16) and I will be heading off on our trip to NYC and LA on September 18!
Just came across this forum yesterday and my mind is blown!!
There is SO MUCH INFORMATION here, I don't know where to start.

Anyway our trip leaves Sydney on September 18 and we stay in NYC until the 30th when we leave and head over to LA until the 9th. Plan is to have 4 days in DL, 1 in Universal and the rest touring around the LA area.

Can someone please direct me to a good thread to look at Hotels in the DL area.

Thanks!
Looking forward to reading about every ones trips

Welcome to the Dis.

Where to stay in Anaheim will depend on what you want and your budget. Most of the popular ones will be advocated by one person or another. So pick one that appeals to you.

Happy planning.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #1083
LeanneDownUnder
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the welcome and the links!
Time to start my Disney planning this weekend

LeanneDownUnder

DisneyWorld ~ All Star Movie Resort 2000 DS7 DD3 DH & Me!!

Disneyland Halloween 2013 ~ DD16 DD29 and me
Planning Underway for
DisneyWorld December 2015!
LeanneDownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #1084
Michaella
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Hi Michaella,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your confusion is over Karen's use of the word 'reservation'. Karen has 3 hotel reservations (each including the dining plan) hence the reason she is getting 3 mugs per person. The amount of mugs you get does not relate to the number of restaurant reservations you make.

If your AoA stay is booked under one reservation number (i.e. you're not staying in more than one WDW resort or you didn't book parts of your accommodation seperately) then you will get one mug per person.

Ahhh OK thanks.. sorry I did not realise three separate resorts... we are staying in Aoa for the entire ten nights. ... Thanks

DS 12 DD 9

Jan 1996 Tokyo Disney
Sept 1999 Disneyland
Sept 2010 Disneyland
Sept 2013 Disneyland and Disneyworld... and MNSSHP
Michaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #1085
teddykins
Mouseketeer

These guys are great Disney helpers Leanne, very insightful people

I booked my first Disney ADR just before..what a nightmare it is on the iPad ended up getting frustrated and borrowed my dads PC. Booked Le Cellier for dinner on nov 2nd - have given up the idea of going to Epcot on the Friday then doing MNSSHP that night because my travel partner wants to sleep in a bit (she works 5am - 4pm 5 days a week) so we wouldnt get to epcot until around 10/11 then itll be time to leave so this way will allow us to visit AK or HS on the 1st do MNSSHP and then sleep in on the second and take our time getting to Epcot. I know it'll be busy due to F&W but there's not much we want to see there and at least this allows us more time to look around plus I'd rather have a relaxed travel partner than a grumpy one!

Can't believe its 180 days until we check into AOA and 171 until we leave Australia, Disney dream is so close I can taste it! Thanks for all the help and answering all my questions everyone, you guys are awesome
teddykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #1086
PrincessInOz
in

So.....I have two ESTAs to renew and I'm sitting here trying my hardest not to get them too early. I was thinking of waiting to August; but it just seems such a long time away right now.

Is it July yet?

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 05-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #1087
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
So.....I have two ESTAs to renew and I'm sitting here trying my hardest not to get them too early. I was thinking of waiting to August; but it just seems such a long time away right now.

Is it July yet?
I have to do all ours. Last time everyone elses got approved straight away. Mine was pending for 2 days. Hoping it goes better this time. Have to renew the kids passports too.
Carnival Imagination - September 2011
Freedom of the Seas - September 2013
Jade+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #1088
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade+3 View Post
I have to do all ours. Last time everyone elses got approved straight away. Mine was pending for 2 days. Hoping it goes better this time. Have to renew the kids passports too.
Are you going to wait to August for the ESTA? Weird that yours was pending for 2 days. Are you on some persona non grata list????

Our passports are okay.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #1089
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddykins View Post

I booked my first Disney ADR just before..what a nightmare it is on the iPad ended up getting frustrated and borrowed my dads PC. Booked Le Cellier for dinner on nov 2nd - have given up the idea of going to Epcot on the Friday then doing MNSSHP that night because my travel partner wants to sleep in a bit (she works 5am - 4pm 5 days a week) so we wouldnt get to epcot until around 10/11 then itll be time to leave so this way will allow us to visit AK or HS on the 1st do MNSSHP and then sleep in on the second and take our time getting to Epcot. I know it'll be busy due to F&W but there's not much we want to see there and at least this allows us more time to look around plus I'd rather have a relaxed travel partner than a grumpy one!

Can't believe its 180 days until we check into AOA and 171 until we leave Australia, Disney dream is so close I can taste it! Thanks for all the help and answering all my questions everyone, you guys are awesome
Yay, congrats on making your first ADR. My iPad doesn't really like the Disney website either, so I did all my ADRs on the PC.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #1090
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Welcome Leanne. I can't really give any Anaheim advice (I've only stayed at Santa Monica). But I wanted to stay hi and happy planning.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #1091
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Is it July yet?
As impatient as I am, I have mine already. I was just paranoid about applying for them late and then encountering issues (not that I have anything circumstances that should cause an issue). I doubt I'll be back to the US within 2 years to need them again, but if that changes, the good thing about ESTAs is that they're not that expensive.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #1092
Minniemum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Welcome LeanneDown Under. Congrats on booking your trip.

Quote:

Teddykins, that's a great way to start your ADR bookings - Le Cellier. Did you only book the one ADR? We always take advantage of being able to book our first 10 days of ADR's at the 180 day mark. It's a great little perk.

Quote:
Is it July yet?
I'll be hanging out until August.

DLR - 1/92 O/S, 3/99 O/S, 6/99 O/S, 3/05 DLH, 9/08 DLH, 9/09 DLH, 9/13 O/S
DLP - 9/98
DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - 9/13
WDW - 4/98 O/S, 10/10 POP, 9/11 POFQ, 9/12 POFQ, 9/13 POFQ, 9/14 POFQ

Minniemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #1093
teddykins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Yay, congrats on making your first ADR. My iPad doesn't really like the Disney website either, so I did all my ADRs on the PC.
Thanks! It was very painful one minute it would let me look than another it said I had to be a resort guest and it couldn't find my resort booking. When I thought I finally got it done it reset and didn't book it even though I went through the name, address, phone number and cc number so gave up and used my dads PC - I had to also go through the old site because the new one still refuses to link the reservation to my account lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemum View Post
Teddykins, that's a great way to start your ADR bookings - Le Cellier. Did you only book the one ADR? We always take advantage of being able to book our first 10 days of ADR's at the 180 day mark. It's a great little perk.
I hope so, mixed reviews but my friend only had a steak requirement for the restaurant and its in her favourite country so hopefully we both love it. Have only booked the one, we seem to be wanting different touring styles (she wants to sleep while I want to go go see as much as I can) and she accused me of doing all the planning today without consulting her which just isn't true, I've always asked her opinion on which days she wants to go where and which restaurant takes her fancy etc, I'm totally gutted she would think such a thing I booked Le Cellier without her 'knowing' (she didn't respond to my messages) but I booked it because I didn't know if 6.15 would still be there today and also because it says you can cancel any time up to the day before so IF she didn't want to go then no biggie; we could cancel it.

Now I am hesitant to book anything else or even try to plan which parks we'll be at with her..she wants to wing it but I don't believe after everything I've read the last few months that first timers should wing it but guess we'll see how that unfolds over the next few months. I honestly feel lost now, like we're going in blind but feel like nothing I say will change her mind. I hate going in blind
teddykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #1094
Minniemum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I booked Le Cellier without her 'knowing' (she didn't respond to my messages) but I booked it because I didn't know if 6.15 would still be there today and also because it says you can cancel any time up to the day before so IF she didn't want to go then no biggie; we could cancel it.

Now I am hesitant to book anything else or even try to plan which parks we'll be at with her..she wants to wing it but I don't believe after everything I've read the last few months that first timers should wing it but guess we'll see how that unfolds over the next few months. I honestly feel lost now, like we're going in blind but feel like nothing I say will change her mind. I hate going in blind
I think you already have the answer to your dilemma. I would book and cancel the day before if need be. It's easy to cancel. It's near impossible without a sprinkle of pixie dust to get a last minute reservation at most of the popular restaurants. Which one's were you considering?

DLR - 1/92 O/S, 3/99 O/S, 6/99 O/S, 3/05 DLH, 9/08 DLH, 9/09 DLH, 9/13 O/S
DLP - 9/98
DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - 9/13
WDW - 4/98 O/S, 10/10 POP, 9/11 POFQ, 9/12 POFQ, 9/13 POFQ, 9/14 POFQ

Minniemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #1095
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I hope so, mixed reviews but my friend only had a steak requirement for the restaurant and its in her favourite country so hopefully we both love it. Have only booked the one, we seem to be wanting different touring styles (she wants to sleep while I want to go go see as much as I can) and she accused me of doing all the planning today without consulting her which just isn't true, I've always asked her opinion on which days she wants to go where and which restaurant takes her fancy etc, I'm totally gutted she would think such a thing I booked Le Cellier without her 'knowing' (she didn't respond to my messages) but I booked it because I didn't know if 6.15 would still be there today and also because it says you can cancel any time up to the day before so IF she didn't want to go then no biggie; we could cancel it.

Oh teddykins, that doesn't sound ideal. Quite often in your posts you mention that you are planning something to keep your traveling companion happy. It sounds as though you are trying your very best to accommodate her. But in saying that, you are only at WDW for such a short time, I can understand you wanting do things a certain way and save the sleeping in for another day.

I agree that winging it isn't the best plan. Have you guys sat around and looked at WDW information together? Try and show her stuff that will excite her and casually throw in a few articles about the benefits of making ADRs, making rope drops, and looking at predicted crowd levels etc. Usually people who want to wing it just don't understand much about a first visit to WDW.
If all else fails, like Minniemum says, just make bookings anyway. You can always cancel them. Also, if it was me, I would head out early each morning and make a time a few hours later to meet my friend in the park. A few hours apart each day is often good for morale and needn't be a bad thing.

Last edited by WanderlustNZ; 05-05-2013 at 01:57 PM.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: