Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #631
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ofus View Post
We are staying an extra day, so yes, we did change our dates We are staying at HoJos so we might see you around. My two youngest boys are blonde, the 2yo being white-blonde, but with all the Aussies, we might not stick out at all!

I don't know if we'll go to the parks much on the Saturday. Maybe a few last minute shopping items or must-ride-agains. We'll play it by ear
I will look out for the blonde boys then! I am fairly recognisable - I have long red (well, strawberry blonde actually ) hair.

(I wish this site would stop asterisking my slang word for 'because' - makes it look like I'm swearing all the time!!! Guess I'll just have to stop being lazy, and type out the whole word!)

Disney World - Dec 2015
Kristin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #632
sarefromoz
Mouseketeer

Looking at San Diego accommodation is doing my head in... I think that there's too much choice. We made another booking last night...2 nights at the new legoland hotel that opens in April. We booked the premium pirate theme room. The kids will love it when we surprise them with this hotel, especially ds who is lego mad and loves pirates too. I think I will have trouble keeping it a secret from them; it looks so good. We were planning on going to Legoland on the last day in San Diego but it was a Sunday and the rates at the legoland hotel were considerably cheaper for week days, so we now will stay there for 2 nights before heading closer to the San Diego attractions for 3 nights. And here's where my problem lies. I think I am struggling with San Diego, because I can't picture the area. Pretty much everywhere else we plan to go on this trip dh and I visited on our honeymoon, so it's easier to recall how far things are away from each other.
I thought I decided on the Doubletree in the Hotel Circle last night, but I read a few posts on here where people said that they wouldn't stay on the hotel circle again given the choice. Then I have just seen the best western plus Marina Gateway which is brand new, but it too seems a bit away from things. Does that really matter if we have a car? I keep on reading that the cost of parking in San Diego is $$$. . If anyone has any thoughts let me know because I am feeling befuddled. We want to visit sea world and San Diego zoo and possibly do a trolley tour in the 3 days that we have there.

Enough of my blabbering...

Kristin, how did the passport photo go?

Lewdannie - thanks for the tip. It looks lovely, I'm just not sure that I want a rental, because it mean that I'll have to do the things that I normally do at home (cooking, cleaning etc) and I want have a break from that if everyone else in my family is too.
sarefromoz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #633
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

I haven't stayed in San Diego (last time, we took a tour bus from Anaheim to both Legoland and Sea World), but have looked it up and parking is free at the zoo, and $15 at Sea World.

We wouldn't do Sea World again - they were doing a lot of renovations when we were there, so getting around was a bit of a problem (with fences blocking the way), and it really isn't much different to Qld Sea World (other than the killer whales, I suppose). But I know everyone enjoys different things And if you are in the area anyway, I guess it probably is somewhere you should visit (we just wouldn't make a special trip).

There is a nice hotel down by the beach - 20 mins drive to the zoo and 10 mins to Sea World. http://www.pacificterrace.com/default-en.html

Or this one (more inland, but still not in the city/downtown - roughly 10-15 mins drive to each park) http://www.marriott.com.au/hotels/tr...3-75b66089dd79

I don't think distance matters too much if you have a car, so long as it isn't much more than half an hour away, anyway. You don't want to waste too much time driving, but 15-20 minutes is doable, IMO.

That Legoland hotel sounds so cool! Does it come up with entry tickets too, as part of the package? If you still need to buy tickets, I think there are lots of 2 for 1 specials to be bought (via coupons or something). By the way, you know that Legoland isn't open everyday, right?

Got my passport photo done - I hate it that you're not allowed to smile anymore! My photo looks like I'm grumpy and half asleep (which the PO guy kindly told me that I'll look worse after my 14 hour flight anyway! ) Next step is to get it witnessed, signed and lodged.

Disney World - Dec 2015

Last edited by Kristin5; 01-10-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #634
sarefromoz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin5 View Post
That Legoland hotel sounds so cool! Does it come up with entry tickets too, as part of the package? If you still need to buy tickets, I think there are lots of 2 for 1 specials to be bought (via coupons or something). By the way, you know that Legoland isn't open everyday, right?

Got my passport photo done - I hate it that you're not allowed to smile anymore! My photo looks like I'm grumpy and half asleep (which the PO guy kindly told me that I'll look worse after my 14 hour flight anyway! ) Next step is to get it witnessed, signed and lodged.
Umm...nope I didn't know that Legoland isn't open everyday...hence the cheaper midweek prices, right? Dh realised this afternoon and is trying to change the dates to the 20/21st. So we'll end up paying the higher rates, but it should all be good. If there's a problem, I told him that we could just stay there and extra night or two and trek from Carlsbad for the day to go to sea world or the zoo. I'll take a look at the hotels you linked after the kids go to bed, but probably can't do anything until dh speaks to the people from the legoland hotel in the morning.

I remember thinking the same thing about the San Diego sea world when we went. Loved the killer whale show and thought that the beluga whales were great, but the rest of it was like qld. The kids will love it though, they loved the qld one and are dying to see the killer whales.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #635
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarefromoz View Post
Umm...nope I didn't know that Legoland isn't open everyday...hence the cheaper midweek prices, right? Dh realised this afternoon and is trying to change the dates to the 20/21st. So we'll end up paying the higher rates, but it should all be good. If there's a problem, I told him that we could just stay there and extra night or two and trek from Carlsbad for the day to go to sea world or the zoo. I'll take a look at the hotels you linked after the kids go to bed, but probably can't do anything until dh speaks to the people from the legoland hotel in the morning.
Have you been able to change the reservation, Sare?

Sadness in our house today, as the Broncos lost their playoff game Means no Superbowl for the Denver Broncos this year, at least. But maybe, when we go to a game on our trip, it means we can say we saw them during their Superbowl winning season (see, positive thinking! "There's always next year!")

Disney World - Dec 2015
Old 01-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #636
sarefromoz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Have you been able to change the reservation, Sare?

Sadness in our house today, as the Broncos lost their playoff game Means no Superbowl for the Denver Broncos this year, at least. But maybe, when we go to a game on our trip, it means we can say we saw them during their Superbowl winning season (see, positive thinking! "There's always next year!")
Oh that sucks Kristin. I don't understand American football at all (I don't even understand NRL) but there's nothing worse than your team losing in the finals (speaking from lots of experience here ) Hopefully your positive thinking worksfor next year.

Yep, the reservation for San Diego has been changed and as of this afternoon, all accommodation for this holiday (except for the night that we're going to wing it on the drive between the Grand Canyon and San Diego) is BOOKED

So this is our holiday:
28th August MEL - YVR via LAX with Qantas (Alaska Airlines code share)
28th August - 1st Sept - Vancouver @ Best Western Plus Chateau Granville
1st - 4th Sept - Whistler @ Crystal Lodge
4th- 7th Sept - Victoria (Vancouver Island) @ Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel
7th - 8th Sept - Accent Inn Vancouver Airport
8th Sept - YVR - LAS with Air Canada
8th - 14th Sept - Las Vegas @ MGM Grand
14th - 16th Sept - South Rim of the Grand Canyon area @ Red Feather Lodge
16th - 17th Sept - Unknown (possibly Barstow for some outlet shopping)
17th - 20th Sept - San Diego @ Homewood Suites Liberty Station
20th - 22nd Sept - Carlsbad @ Legoland Hotel
22nd - 30th Sept - Anaheim @ Howard Johnson
30th Sept - Fly home LAX - MEL with Qantas
2nd Oct - Arrive home

So excited. Deposits are paid at quite a few hotels and all others are held against our credit card (and all bar hojos have free cancellation, which means that if a cheaper price comes up, they can match it or we can cancel and re-book at the cheaper price...we've already done that once with hojos, who were more than happy to give us the cheaper rate) , all flights are paid for, travel insurance is paid for. Now to start thinking about car hire, day tours and tickets to venues. Can you guess I am a bit of an organisation freak?

Hope that you're all enjoying your weekend.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #637
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarefromoz View Post
Oh that sucks Kristin. I don't understand American football at all (I don't even understand NRL) but there's nothing worse than your team losing in the finals (speaking from lots of experience here ) Hopefully your positive thinking worksfor next year.

Yep, the reservation for San Diego has been changed and as of this afternoon, all accommodation for this holiday (except for the night that we're going to wing it on the drive between the Grand Canyon and San Diego) is BOOKED

So this is our holiday:
28th August MEL - YVR via LAX with Qantas (Alaska Airlines code share)
28th August - 1st Sept - Vancouver @ Best Western Plus Chateau Granville
1st - 4th Sept - Whistler @ Crystal Lodge
4th- 7th Sept - Victoria (Vancouver Island) @ Best Western Plus Carlton Plaza Hotel
7th - 8th Sept - Accent Inn Vancouver Airport
8th Sept - YVR - LAS with Air Canada
8th - 14th Sept - Las Vegas @ MGM Grand
14th - 16th Sept - South Rim of the Grand Canyon area @ Red Feather Lodge
16th - 17th Sept - Unknown (possibly Barstow for some outlet shopping)
17th - 20th Sept - San Diego @ Homewood Suites Liberty Station
20th - 22nd Sept - Carlsbad @ Legoland Hotel
22nd - 30th Sept - Anaheim @ Howard Johnson
30th Sept - Fly home LAX - MEL with Qantas
2nd Oct - Arrive home

So excited. Deposits are paid at quite a few hotels and all others are held against our credit card (and all bar hojos have free cancellation, which means that if a cheaper price comes up, they can match it or we can cancel and re-book at the cheaper price...we've already done that once with hojos, who were more than happy to give us the cheaper rate) , all flights are paid for, travel insurance is paid for. Now to start thinking about car hire, day tours and tickets to venues. Can you guess I am a bit of an organisation freak?

Hope that you're all enjoying your weekend.
Fantastic! You're all going to have so much fun, the best thing is seeing how excited the kids get!

We will miss you in Vegas by 1 day! We are staying in MGM's Signature Suites. I have heard/read that the pool at MGM is spectacular, so we are looking forward to that.

Looks like we are at similar stages in our planning (with flights and hotels booked). I have been looking at tours and tickets. My friend and i would like to see Celine Dion and Shania Twain in Vegas, but I can't find out if they'll be performing in September. If they aren't at all, then we will probably go to a cirque du soleil show.

I pretty much know what tours we'll book too, but don't know what days yet (it all depends on the NFL schedule to find out when, and where, we will be going to see a game). We want to see a baseball game too (we did last time, and it was great fun), so we will be going on the Monday or Tuesday night, depending on what day we do a day tour (probably universal studios will be first on the agenda).

Then it will be time for all the DL character meal bookings and Mickey's Halloween party (which we didn't do last time - we underestimated DS love for all things Halloween! After being at DL during Halloween time, he is now a total addict!).

I'm convinced that a lot of the excitement of a holiday is in the planning/booking stages!

Disney World - Dec 2015
Old 01-16-2013, 03:04 AM   #638
5ofus
DIS Veteran

My planning has come to a halt. I have a job interview tomorrow so all my energies have been going into preparing for that. One Disney upside is that if I get it, the payout of leave from my current job will cover DL tickets and most of our accommodation. Added incentive!

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:36 AM   #639
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
My planning has come to a halt. I have a job interview tomorrow so all my energies have been going into preparing for that. One Disney upside is that if I get it, the payout of leave from my current job will cover DL tickets and most of our accommodation. Added incentive!
Good luck for tomorrow!

What a windfall that'd be, huh?! Fingers crossed for you

does anyone else have trouble logging onto Disboards around 8-8:30pm? This happens to me every night, where I get some sort of server error message

Disney World - Dec 2015
Old 01-16-2013, 03:49 AM   #640
aussie shaz
DIS Veteran

Quote:

does anyone else have trouble logging onto Disboards around 8-8:30pm? This happens to me every night, where I get some sort of server error message
Me too. Every night. I know not to go on at 8.30
aussie shaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #641
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie shaz View Post
Me too. Every night. I know not to go on at 8.30
Glad I'm not the only one then! Though I forget very night until I get that damn error message which reminds me! Very odd...

Disney World - Dec 2015
Old 01-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #642
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin5

Good luck for tomorrow!

Me too. It's a pain because it's usually th first time of th day I get a chance to get on!

Thanks for the good luck!

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:08 AM   #643
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin5

Good luck for tomorrow!

We call it the Twilight Zone and it happens every night, it must be for system upgrades or something. It's in the middle of the night for most in the US but post dinner and kids bedtime for us
Old 01-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #644
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Good luck!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:31 AM   #645
sarefromoz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Then it will be time for all the DL character meal bookings and Mickey's Halloween party (which we didn't do last time - we underestimated DS love for all things Halloween! After being at DL during Halloween time, he is now a total addict!).

I'm convinced that a lot of the excitement of a holiday is in the planning/booking stages!
I agree. It's so much fun planning. I'm hoping that there's a halloween party before we head home. Lara has had a school friend who went to one last year and told her all about it. She told Eloise and now they have it in their heads that we'll be going to one.

Quote:
Good luck for your interview tomorrow.

Not much happening here for the last few days either. Back to work in less than 2 weeks and I've been busy planning for that....planning science, library and maths lessons are no where near as much fun as planning our holiday.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: