Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 02:04 AM   #331
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz

My personal favourite is book 3.
I cannot stand the 4th movie. But that is probably because i saw it 3 times with 3 different people the week it came out. Then about 4 more times in the month after it came out. And then while we were in wwohp it was on every.single.night!! Lol...

me (alicia): dbf (carlo):
2011 vacation - Of Mice, and Wizards and Pirates, oh my!

2013 trip - 3 castles and a Disney boat - a work in progress
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #332
sims11
Earning My Ears

Sorry about the delay in replying life has been crazy. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Now I can't remember who asked about our cruise but we are doing the Disney cruise on the 5th October which happens to be my birthday so that should be fun.

Its been interesting reading about Universal, do I need to book a hotel closer to there or can we commute from WDW?

I haven't seen or read Harry Potter either

2005: Disneyland Paris.
2009: Disneyland Hong Kong for Rachel's 1st O/S holiday.
2011: Disneyland California as part of our 4 week USA trip.
2012: Disney Aulani, Hawaii. Happy birthday mum/grandma!
September/October 2013: Disneyland, Disney World, and a Disney cruise.

sims11 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 04:05 AM   #333
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506
Omg the harry potter books are awesome but please keep in mind the first few were written for younger children/adults. Then it was several years between books so they are written for a young teen/tween, then mid teen then young adult then adult etc. I love them and the world building
Good to know. I might show my son the first couple of movies in that case, but none of the rest. I'd love for him to also have at least a basic understanding of who Harry Potter is before I take him to visit Harry's World.

I booked my MCO to LAX leg of the flights today. It's with American Airlines - certainly not my first choice of airline carrier given how dated and no-frills their planes are. However, they were offering a price I was happy with, an ideal flight time, and most importantly, the flight is direct.

Now the only flight I have left to book is the LAX - MCO leg. I'm waiting for Virgin America to release dates for mid-September as it appears that they have one direct flight each morning. From all the reviews I've read, it seems they are one of the best domestic carriers in the States.

My goal at present is to book and pay for one thing a fortnight to try and spread out costs and also to take advantage of the stronger NZ dollar (long may it last). I'm thinking my next purchase might be Universal tickets from Undercover Tourist.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:13 AM   #334
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims11

Its been interesting reading about Universal, do I need to book a hotel closer to there or can we commute from WDW?
I think that's totally up to you. It probably depends a lot on how many days you plan on spending at Universal. If it was just one day, I'd probably commute from your hotel at Disney. Not worth packing up and moving all your luggage just to spend one day in a park.
It also probably depends on which days you intend on visiting. I've read that weekends tend to be a bit busier and are a good time to have an express pass (complimentary for Universal hotel guests).
Old 11-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #335
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ

Good to know. I might show my son the first couple of movies in that case, but none of the rest. I'd love for him to also have at least a basic understanding of who Harry Potter is before I take him to visit Harry's World.

I booked my MCO to LAX leg of the flights today. It's with American Airlines - certainly not my first choice of airline carrier given how dated and no-frills their planes are. However, they were offering a price I was happy with, an ideal flight time, and most importantly, the flight is direct.

Now the only flight I have left to book is the LAX - MCO leg. I'm waiting for Virgin America to release dates for mid-September as it appears that they have one direct flight each morning. From all the reviews I've read, it seems they are one of the best domestic carriers in the States.

My goal at present is to book and pay for one thing a fortnight to try and spread out costs and also to take advantage of the stronger NZ dollar (long may it last). I'm thinking my next purchase might be Universal tickets from Undercover Tourist.
Depending on the age of your ds, all of the movies should be fine. There is really nothing objectionable in them but concepts of death (harry is an orphan) and revenge/justice/vengeance do come up so i would ensure that your son has dealt with these concepts before. Obviously there is magic which i think is where most of the controversy comes into play but the books are essentially the tale of a young boy who discovers he is a wizard and there is a whole magical world that goes along with it and these are stories of his adventures.

Wow you are so organised. I am just starting to save. Admittedly our bne -lax flights are taken care of for me and carlo but i havent even thought of paying for anymore of it yet. I probably should though as my job is casual and i dont know how long they will choose to keep me on..

Old 11-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #336
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506

Depending on the age of your ds, all of the movies should be fine. There is really nothing objectionable in them but concepts of death (harry is an orphan) and revenge/justice/vengeance do come up so i would ensure that your son has dealt with these concepts before. Obviously there is magic which i think is where most of the controversy comes into play but the books are essentially the tale of a young boy who discovers he is a wizard and there is a whole magical world that goes along with it and these are stories of his adventures.

Wow you are so organised. I am just starting to save. Admittedly our bne -lax flights are taken care of for me and carlo but i havent even thought of paying for anymore of it yet. I probably should though as my job is casual and i dont know how long they will choose to keep me on..
Hmm I don't know... I wouldn't let my boys watch anything from 3 onwards, and even *** and PS (books/movies 2 and 1 for the uninitiated) have some scary stuff for littlies, I mean Basilisks and Werewolves can be kinda scary. Then again, my eldest is only five.

And I totally second the audiobooks read by Stephen Fry. I listen to them pretty much constantly as I'm doing housework

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #337
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ofus View Post
Hmm I don't know... I wouldn't let my boys watch anything from 3 onwards, and even *** and PS (books/movies 2 and 1 for the uninitiated) have some scary stuff for littlies, I mean Basilisks and Werewolves can be kinda scary. Then again, my eldest is only five.

And I totally second the audiobooks read by Stephen Fry. I listen to them pretty much constantly as I'm doing housework
funny thing..we bought the first 3 audio books of HP read by steven fry, then the lady who did the ordering got books 4-7 read by a guy who had a.....wait for it........a lisp.......

OMG..it took me nearly all of book 4 to get used to it....and when he said herminie I would nearly pee myself.....
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #338
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

but getting back to more important things.....

my trip.

so had a chat to DH re flights, and convinced him that delta economy comfort for $1200 pp would be better than ANZ PE for $3200 pp.....saving 4K...which would pay for 1 cruise and the 4 days at universal....so hes now on board

all i have to do is drug him for the entire flight but make sure hes ok enough to stagger thru customs and then onto the connecting delta flight to orlando...for this leg i will spring for first class..poor boy will need the pampering by then....

so my budget is as follows (aprox)
syd-lax $2500
lax-mco $2000
WDW- Annual pass from this year $0
Disney food $500
DVC accom 6 nights $0
2 nights pop $200
cruise x 2 $6000 (14 nights)
car hire 7 days $250
car hire 4 days $150
ust accom royal pacific 4 nights $800
ust tickets $400
ust food $400
lax hotel 1 night $100
travel insurance $150
2 x new passports $600

$14500 for 2 people ...30 days
this includes
airfares
8 nights WDW, 1 bedroom villa @ boardwalk, tickets & food
14 day cruise RCCL (B2B) junior suite
11 days car hire
4 nights on site @ universal studios with tickets, food
passports and travel insurance

so i think for $7250 pp thats pretty good ish

havent included
AP discounts for WDW food and pop
discounts for car hire & airfare, UST accom and tickets
Old 11-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #339
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren

Well done. That price sounds great. :-)

My budget is a few more K than that for just 22 nights! Plus any treats (e.g nice airline seats, suites and fancy hotels etc) are going to be few and far between for us on this trip.
Admittedly though my budget does include 3 people instead of 2 and I have factored in shopping money. So I guess I can't complain too much. Lol.

Am chomping at the bit at present to book and pay for something else. The boring old American Airlines flight just isn't very exciting.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:03 AM   #340
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Have you booked your flights Karen?

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:32 AM   #341
australiankaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ofus View Post
Have you booked your flights Karen?
No havent yet, i told myself no booking till april...fat chance re that..i'll be lucky to last to jan 1..i just want it done....
Old 11-25-2012, 04:33 AM   #342
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren

No havent yet, i told myself no booking till april...fat chance re that..i'll be lucky to last to jan 1..i just want it done....
I will wait til april re flights but i need to get the cruise deposit happening. i am waiting to hear back on a finance application as i would like to book my cruise in the next 2-3 days at the moment they are doing 10%deposit only + obc if you book before dec 16 but i need to lock in my prices and rooms asap. I have a feeling we will end up with guarantee room allocation as they are quite limited on stateroom numbers... Hoping for a possibility of a free upgrade

Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #343
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
my trip.

so had a chat to DH re flights, and convinced him that delta economy comfort for $1200 pp would be better than ANZ PE for $3200 pp.....saving 4K...which would pay for 1 cruise and the 4 days at universal....so hes now on board

all i have to do is drug him for the entire flight but make sure hes ok enough to stagger thru customs and then onto the connecting delta flight to orlando...for this leg i will spring for first class..poor boy will need the pampering by then....

so my budget is as follows (aprox)
syd-lax $2500
lax-mco $2000
WDW- Annual pass from this year $0
Disney food $500
DVC accom 6 nights $0
2 nights pop $200
cruise x 2 $6000 (14 nights)
car hire 7 days $250
car hire 4 days $150
ust accom royal pacific 4 nights $800
ust tickets $400
ust food $400
lax hotel 1 night $100
travel insurance $150
2 x new passports $600

$14500 for 2 people ...30 days
this includes
airfares
8 nights WDW, 1 bedroom villa @ boardwalk, tickets & food
14 day cruise RCCL (B2B) junior suite
11 days car hire
4 nights on site @ universal studios with tickets, food
passports and travel insurance

havent included
AP discounts for WDW food and pop
discounts for car hire & airfare, UST accom and tickets
any chance you want to do a swap I'll happily pay for your trip if you pay for my trip I'll even do a swap on the one we just had
Old 11-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #344
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Yes i think that is a pretty good price range

We are doing 2.5 weeks, 4 adults, just on $20k for everything but spending money. But we are going a little budget in places so for us it is $5k pp plus spending. $7250 pp plus spending for 30 days is pretty awesome

Old 11-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #345
Kristin5
Mouseketeer

Oh, please add me!

Me, DH and DS (aged 6, but will be turning 7 during our holiday) - going to Disneyland probably from 20 September til 4 October. My son's birthday is on the 3rd of October so we have booked a couple of character meals for that day.

No flights booked yet, because they aren't on special yet; hope they are on special soon as the waiting is killing me! (We will also be going to Denver, as DH used to live there and we are fans of the Broncos in the NFL, and Las Vegas).

This will be our 2nd trip to DL as a family, tho DH and myself have been many times previously.

Never been to Disney World, but we plan to go there in 2015 (our plan is a US/ Disney trip every 2 years).
Kristin5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: