Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #61
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by
 
ACDSNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 9,953

We just put them in any pocket that would hold it. I like the recipe idea.

Another one that was cute was cups, with a snack packet of oreos so you could use the softserve ice cream on the ship and have cookies and cream. DH really like that one.
__________________


Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #62
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end
 
PrincessInOz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 86,439

We've just completed a Holiday Recipe exchange on the Exchange section where we were to send our recipient a minimum of 5 tried and tested family recipes and 'gifts' up to $15. Not that I'm advocating the $15 value for your FE; but it was easy to just copy and print out some of the recipes I'd previously shared on the WFDT (pictures removed). I put together a proposed meal for a Holiday feast....starter, entree, sides for the entree, dessert, a little something with coffee and a Bourbon Christmas cake recipe.

You could do something similar and print it up; get some ribbon to bind it together with a front page cover or put it into a plastic folder or something.

That would then free up cash for smaller items. You could make up a small "sweet bag" or a little gift for the dads and kids?
__________________

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #63
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys
 
nunzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,399

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
so how do you distribute that? I each lid has a pocket with their name on it, they're going to want what was in "they're" pocket. I've seen Corinna's gifts and I have no hope of being that creative. But I've read reports about people who got pencils, stickers, I guess I could do that along with a couple other things I'm thinking about.

I like the recipe idea, I might develop that!
I think recipes are a very good FE idea!
__________________
nunzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #64
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase
 
dolphingirl47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 27,393

I love the recipe book idea. I had some recipe cards and a recipe booklet with Disney recipes on different cruises and always loved them. As to the amount, I usually aim around $1 or $2 per person.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #65
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet
 
kaoden39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 30,044

Hi there!!


I would have been here sooner but I didn't see the link in your signature until I saw you mention it to Jenny!
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #66
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone
 
rentayenta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 23,845

I swear I thought I'd been here but I guess not. Now I need to catch up. The FE is darling.
__________________
me DH DD17 DD15 DS12 Riley Guinness

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751




rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #67
QuiltTeddy
DIS Veteran
 
QuiltTeddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Too Far From Disney
Posts: 1,662

Have been following along with your PTR. In April we cruised on the Dream and particiated for the first time in a FE. I made a small recipe book for the women and a separate item for the men and something totally different for the children. If you have a large group, it's much easier to have something for the stateroom versus male/female/kid gifts. Additionally, bear in mind the recipe books end up very weighy for travelling.

Just putting in my 2 cents.

Hope you have a WONDERful cruise. I'm indeed jealous!
__________________




WDW Honeymoon - 1981
WDW - 1999 & Joined DVC
BWV - December, 2000 & December, 2005
WDW/Magic - Eastern - 2002
WDW/Magic - Western - 2003
25th Anniv. Cruise to Alaska on HAL- 2006
30th Anniv. Cruise to MR- Wonder - 04-03-11
Dream Cruise 03-22-12
Magic Southern Carribean 09-20-14
QuiltTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #68
eandesmom
I'm with Beast
 
eandesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 13,239

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Thanks Everyone! I'm really happy about how it came out. I was leaning towards something really busy looking (pattern of material behind the inron ons) and Fran pointed out that it was better to be simple for the background so that the characters stood out. I'm glad I took her suggestion. If I went with a patterned pocket, you would have a hard time reading our names on it. We went with the classic Mickey colors as the boats use the same colors as well.
it's adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
So I have this question. About how much do people seem to spend on average for the gifts? I don't want to be cheap, but I don't want to break the bank. It appears that we have 57 folks in our FEE. I asked on the thread and $2 per gift makes it around $100, $4 ups it to $200 and so on. So far no answers, but some people have already said they are done. I wish I could make something, but I don't have that kind of time or creativity.
I love the recipe idea. Some folks didn't do a gift per person or do one bigger gift per stateroom and then small per individual (like candy, tattoos, pencil small). With a big FE it can add up really fast. For our Alaska cruise which was over 100 people we did a bigger stateroom/family gift and then did stickers/candy/small toys for each of the individuals. For our Dream 4 righter we were able to do a lot more simple b/c it was a much smaller group.
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #69
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran
 
franandaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Long Beach, CA, VWL, BCV, SSR & VGC
Posts: 22,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
We just put them in any pocket that would hold it. I like the recipe idea.

Another one that was cute was cups, with a snack packet of oreos so you could use the softserve ice cream on the ship and have cookies and cream. DH really like that one.
That sounds like a good idea. I'll have to see what I end up coming up with when I go shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
We've just completed a Holiday Recipe exchange on the Exchange section where we were to send our recipient a minimum of 5 tried and tested family recipes and 'gifts' up to $15. Not that I'm advocating the $15 value for your FE; but it was easy to just copy and print out some of the recipes I'd previously shared on the WFDT (pictures removed). I put together a proposed meal for a Holiday feast....starter, entree, sides for the entree, dessert, a little something with coffee and a Bourbon Christmas cake recipe.

You could do something similar and print it up; get some ribbon to bind it together with a front page cover or put it into a plastic folder or something.

That would then free up cash for smaller items. You could make up a small "sweet bag" or a little gift for the dads and kids?
I'm hoping to dig out my comb binding machine, I just need to figure out where it is! I can make some cute little books that will fit in the pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
I think recipes are a very good FE idea!
Thanks! That makes me feel good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I love the recipe book idea. I had some recipe cards and a recipe booklet with Disney recipes on different cruises and always loved them. As to the amount, I usually aim around $1 or $2 per person.

Corinna
Good that's about what I was thinking. I've got all the 3 and unders taken care of now just like 58 more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Hi there!!


I would have been here sooner but I didn't see the link in your signature until I saw you mention it to Jenny!
Welcome! You snuck in just in time! The fun is about to begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
I swear I thought I'd been here but I guess not. Now I need to catch up. The FE is darling.
Shouldn't be too hard, I'm only on page five!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiltTeddy View Post
Have been following along with your PTR. In April we cruised on the Dream and particiated for the first time in a FE. I made a small recipe book for the women and a separate item for the men and something totally different for the children. If you have a large group, it's much easier to have something for the stateroom versus male/female/kid gifts. Additionally, bear in mind the recipe books end up very weighy for travelling.

Just putting in my 2 cents.

Hope you have a WONDERful cruise. I'm indeed jealous!
Yeah, I'm thinking the recipe books for the women. Not sure for the DHs, but ill find something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
it's adorable!



I love the recipe idea. Some folks didn't do a gift per person or do one bigger gift per stateroom and then small per individual (like candy, tattoos, pencil small). With a big FE it can add up really fast. For our Alaska cruise which was over 100 people we did a bigger stateroom/family gift and then did stickers/candy/small toys for each of the individuals. For our Dream 4 righter we were able to do a lot more simple b/c it was a much smaller group.
We have less than 60 people so that sounds doable.

Big snag today. We had to go to Fullerton today, so we planned to stop by the Disney Character Warehouse out there to look for trinkets. The unfortunate thing was that we drove our 73 Cougar which just completed some $3000 of engine work. Well no sooner had we filled the tank and added lead substitute, about a mile out of the gas station the engine just stopped. I just finished a ride with the tow truck driver back to the repair shop. I'm waiting for the courtesy van to give me a ride home and I left Fran on the street corner because she couldn't climb in the tow truck. For those who know, she's at Palo Verde and Del Amo.

So much for FE shopping today. I have a massage at 5:15 and it's 3PM already!
__________________
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #70
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet
 
kaoden39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 30,044

I think men are harder to buy for I think. Most women are happy with anything because you thought about them. Well at least that is the way that I am.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #71
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.
 
Pinkocto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 7,164

I'm sorry about the car trouble. I hope you and Fran got home safely.
__________________
-Pam

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #72
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran
 
franandaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Long Beach, CA, VWL, BCV, SSR & VGC
Posts: 22,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I think men are harder to buy for I think. Most women are happy with anything because you thought about them. Well at least that is the way that I am.
Besides that, I don't know men well! Put it this way, most of the men I know would be thrilled with the recipe books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
I'm sorry about the car trouble. I hope you and Fran got home safely.
We're in the 21st century car on the way home now.
__________________
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #73
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet
 
kaoden39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fairfield, CA
Posts: 30,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Besides that, I don't know men well! Put it this way, most of the men I know would be thrilled with the recipe books!



We're in the 21st century car on the way home now.


I don't know how I missed that about the car breaking down. I am glad you got to Fran. I hope it doesn't take much to fix your car.



I know my husband would like the recipe book. I am not much help here. One of my DHs friends I would get him a bottle of wine. Other than that I have no clue.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #74
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me
 
dgbg100106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 46,355

My DH would like the recipe book also, maybe throw a grilling recipe in there and you should be set.


Sorry about the car trouble, glad you made it home safe and sound.
__________________
Brandi & David Thanks Lulu's Mom

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #75
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran
 
franandaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Long Beach, CA, VWL, BCV, SSR & VGC
Posts: 22,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
I don't know how I missed that about the car breaking down. I am glad you got to Fran. I hope it doesn't take much to fix your car.

I know my husband would like the recipe book. I am not much help here. One of my DHs friends I would get him a bottle of wine. Other than that I have no clue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
My DH would like the recipe book also, maybe throw a grilling recipe in there and you should be set.

Sorry about the car trouble, glad you made it home safe and sound.
Now you guys are confusing me! I don't know whether to put the recipe book in the DW or DH pocket! I started writing the books while waiting at the doctor yesterday. I picked a dozen recipes either from Disney or favorites that I've made in our DVC Villas.

Over the last two days I've finished up the FEE gifts for all the kids (well purchasing them) I still have to assemble them.

I have another question for veteran cruisers...what do you do about laundry? Because of DVC, I've learned how to pack light, but that's because I have a washer in the room. Is there somewhere on the ship that you can wash your own laundry? I don't even know how many suitcases we are allowed! Many of my shipmates have received their luggage tags, but I haven't got anything!

I'm not sure I can pack a week's worth of clothes including formal wear! Yikes! At least we are driving to the port.
__________________
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: