Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #31
rockchick04
Earning My Ears

Just wanted to add that I've done this many times. I have a 10 day, non expiring park hopper ticket for DisneyWorld that I got on Undercover Tourist that I've used a few times at Disneyland now.

Just like someone said, go to the turnstiles, tell the CM you want to take a day off the tickets, they will tell you they have to call a supervisor and you wait on the side. Supervisor comes, takes your tickets and says they will be right back. Supervisor comes back with your Disneyworld tickets, hands you the one day Disney tickets and says "have a nice day."

I've never had any problems whatsoever doing this. This past weekend, I also tried using Disneyworld tickets that hadn't been activated at Disneyworld yet (that trip is coming up!!). Same thing, no problems. I actually mixed and matched the two tickets (one had been activated, one hadn't) and had no issues.

Since you are able to do that, I'm going to always use my WDW pass. We do Disney for a day at a time, every 4 months or so (since we live in CA and it's a nice weekend trip) and this would save us a nice chunk of money without shelling out for an annual pass. I think I paid 580 for it (or whatever the price was before they went up on Undercover Tourist) and dividing that by the ten days (assuming I only go for a day each trip), that's $58 bucks for a Disneyland park hopper for the day. Not bad at all. Hope they never change that!
rockchick04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #32
Meech Loves Mickey
Mouseketeer

So how long does this "at the turnstile" transaction take?

Does this only work for DL or can it be done at CA also?

I feel like this would be a big time waster, especially if you are trying to get to RSR in a timely manner!

~ May 2014 WDW Bay Lake Tower
~ Feb 2014 Disneyland Resort (Solo Trip!)
~ May 2013 WDW Bay Lake Tower
~ Dec 2012 Disneyland & Disney California Adventure
~ May 2012 WDW Bay Lake Tower
~ Oct 2011 WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge
~ May 2011 WDW Swan
~ Dec 2010 WDW Coronado Springs
~ Sept 2009 WDW Port Orleans French Quarter
~ Oct 2008 WDW Hilton at Downtown Disney
~ Nov 2005 Disneyland
~ May 2002 WDW Off Property
~ March 2001 WDW Off Property
Meech Loves Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #33
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meech Loves Mickey
So how long does this "at the turnstile" transaction take?

Does this only work for DL or can it be done at CA also?

I feel like this would be a big time waster, especially if you are trying to get to RSR in a timely manner!
There have been some accounts of it taking 15-20 minutes and must be done each day. You can do it at either park. It is a hassle but for many it can save a lot of money if they have WDW tickets.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #34
Alliekat79
Earning My Ears

Can you exchange WDW tickets when doing Early Entry through Grand Californian? Or will we need to go through the main gate?
Alliekat79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #35
Stinkerbell1973
DIS Veteran

We were there this past weekend - DH, DD and me. We each had a 2 day basic magic your way WDW ticket (it was actually our key to the world). The ticket had not been activated at all.
Do not waste your time going to the ticket booth or Guest Services as both will direct you to the turnstile. The lady at the ticket booth actually told me that they would just scan our ticket at the turnstile and would be able to go right in. Not true.
OP's here have said it right - you present the CM at the turnstile your WDW ticket. They call over a supervisor who takes your ticket and contacts WDW to make sure it's valid and check the # of days on it. They bring them back to you along with your DL ticket for that day. Yes, you do have to do this each day you plan to convert a WDW ticket to a DL ticket; they will not take a 2 day WDW ticket and just hand you 2 days worth of DL tickets.
Yes, they use the same process for entry at DCA as well.
Regarding OP's question about doing this in time to get FP for RSR...on Saturday, we got to the gate at 7:45am (park opened at 8). It took about 5 minutes for them to convert the ticket, DH got in the FP line and we had 10:05am FP for RSR.
Very easy process. Literally only took 5 minutes of my time.
One other thing, and I don't know why this happened, but when the supervisor brought back our tickets, she informed us that they were park hoppers both days we did this. Saturday at DCA, there was another family in line with us doing the same thing so they did ours back to back, and both families received park hopper. We did not upgrade as we had no intention of hopping - but make sure you ask if the supervisor if you get hopper before you pay for it!

Oct 08, Oct 09, Sept 10, Feb 11, Sept 13 - Ft. Wilderness | Mar 11 - All Star Sports | Sept 11 - Pop Century
Dec 11 - Christmas at Fort Wilderness | Feb 12 - Coronado Springs | Oct 12 - Paradise Pier (Disneyland) | Dec 12 - Port Orleans French Quarter | Dec 13 - Caribbean Beach

Disney Fantasy - Apr 2013, Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic - May/June 2014, Mediterranean

Sept 14 - Fort Wilderness
Stinkerbell1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #36
doog71
Earning My Ears

So basically, for a family of four, as long as you're willing to do the "wait for them to check your ticket" thing at the turnstile, you can save $500-$600 if you're wanting to go for 8-10 days in the parks?

If that's the only downside, I'm more than willing to order WDW park hoppers for our DLR trip.
doog71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #37
Steamboat Philly
Earning My Ears

Yea definitely! Just blame the error on the significant other!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #38
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doog71 View Post
So basically, for a family of four, as long as you're willing to do the "wait for them to check your ticket" thing at the turnstile, you can save $500-$600 if you're wanting to go for 8-10 days in the parks?

If that's the only downside, I'm more than willing to order WDW park hoppers for our DLR trip.
Yep. This is great news for anyone wanting to go into the DLR for 6 to 10 days. Save your money, buy brand new WDW tickets, and bring them to DLR. And from Stinkerbell1973's post, it appears you can buy just a basic magic your way WDW ticket, and get it exchanged for a Park Hopper at the DLR!

From 1-5 days, the savings are small and likely not worth the effort, although the single day is $94 at WDW and $125 at DLR. But the real savings happen when DLR forces you to start your economy of scale over at the 6 day point.

Possible per person savings:
WDW (Adult)
6 day: $296
7 day: $306
8 day: $317
9 day: $328
10 day: $338

DLR (by combining 5 day with a new ticket)
6 day: $415
7 day: $490
8 day: $540
9 day: $565
10 day: $580

So let's say you are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) and want to go 8 days into DLR. Buying the tickets at Disneyland will cost you $540x2 + $505x2 = $2090. Buying them from WDW will cost you $317.37x2+$298.20x2 = $1231.14, an incredible 41% off, saving you $858.86!

Last edited by ValpoCory; 10-23-2012 at 09:30 AM.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #39
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafke View Post
Does this also work for the really old tickets.
I have a park hopper from the 80s which is a paper ticket. It still has 3 days left on it. Can this be used for admission?
Reports are that, yes indeed, it will work. I'll find out next week. We have old paper WDW tickets dated 1991, with one day left on each. We'll see...

-Bob
GrandBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #40
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post
Yep. This is great news for anyone wanting to go into the DLR for 6 to 10 days. Save your money, buy brand new WDW tickets, and bring them to DLR. And from Stinkerbell1973's post, it appears you can buy just a basic magic your way WDW ticket, and get it exchanged for a Park Hopper at the DLR!

From 1-5 days, the savings are small and likely not worth the effort, although the single day is $94 at WDW and $125 at DLR. But the real savings happen when DLR forces you to start your economy of scale over at the 6 day point.

Possible per person savings:
WDW (Adult)
6 day: $296
7 day: $306
8 day: $317
9 day: $328
10 day: $338

DLR (by combining 5 day with a new ticket)
6 day: $415
7 day: $490
8 day: $540
9 day: $565
10 day: $580

So let's say you are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) and want to go 8 days into DLR. Buying the tickets at Disneyland will cost you $540x2 + $505x2 = $2090. Buying them from WDW will cost you $317.37x2+$298.20x2 = $1231.14, an incredible 41% off, saving you $858.86!
I wonder how long it takes Disneyland to close this loophole...
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #41
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

That's what I'm wondering as well. I suspect that if usage becomes "noticeable" at the turnstiles, someone might well end up looking into it. And, if that happens...well...
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #42
StyledSugar
Love The Mouse

This is very good news if they don't decide to change it prior to our trip. We are there for 8 nights and wanted to get 7 day park hoppers but alas, Disney figures even if you are staying 8 nights in one of their hotels there is no need to accomodate you by letting you actually enter the parks that many days. Oh wait, you can shell out a bunch of extra money to add a couple more days or get an AP. We are already buying one AP but are definitely not getting 3 more!

How long have they been doing this for? I'm just worried that we go ahead and buy 7 day tickets, shell out that money and then when we get to the parks we get that "Sorry, we don't do that anymore but you can certainly go and buy AP's or tickets at the ticket booths". Ugh! That would be a nightmare!

DLR: 1980, 1985, 1987, February 2006, September 2010, October-November 2011, Christmas 2012

My wonderful family:
DH Me DD 15 DS 11
StyledSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #43
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

They've been doing it for years and years, but until very recently the WDW tickets worked out to be more expensive in almost every case. Now that that is no longer true...well, your guess is as good as mine. Sometimes these things last a while, sometimes someone puts a stop to them quickly. For example, I hear that the YES ticket discounts for 2013 are no longer nearly as good as they once were, though I have not verified that myself, as there are no individual enrollment classes for my dates.

I would not buy them super far in advance, unless I knew I would also eventually go to WDW and could use the tickets there some day.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #44
Lomky
Earning My Ears

This is interesting to me.

So last August we were very sad we couldn't upgrade our 5 day park hopper as we were in California for 10 days.

Anyway, we are from Canada and we get our park hoppers through airmiles rewards program, works out very well for us.

Basically, it looks like we could get a 7 day WDW park hopper for only about 200 extra airmiles (which is nothing!).

So in theory, could we get the 7 dayers and then exchange at DL?? That would be amazing.

We were very sad being across the street from the park but not able to enter for an evening of two.
Lomky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #45
sweet maxine
DIS Veteran

Any reports of this still working? As of very recently?
sweet maxine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: