Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #31
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

We'd love to upgrade to a 1200 sq. ft. house. With Wifey and 2 girls, a 2nd bathroom would be a nice luxury. Also, a dining room to eat in as opposed to always on the couch would be a nice luxury.

Wouldn't give up the lack of space to be piled on top of all the neighbors in an HOA neighborhood though. I like the fact that I can stand naked in my yard and wave to my neighbor while my neighbor waves back not knowing that I'm naked
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #32
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I am hoping to move & downsize within a year or so. The house & yard were nice when the kids were younger & had bigger toys & outside things. Now that they are almost teens, we don't need the extra room. I've been getting rid of clutter and plan to take just the well loved stuff.

Neither of us likes yard work so we're hoping to go to a townhouse. The interior space will be similar. The number of rooms will be the same but it will just shrink the size of the rooms we have available now. We'll lose an office but we don't use it much now anyway. I'm looking forward to having less to clean & more time to go out doing other things!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #33
jms920
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Ears View Post
JoAnn, I will PM you tomorrow or pm me with questions first if you like.

Sounds wonderful, thank you!

Jo
jms920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #34
Jill in Chicago
DIS Veteran

Jgreco, great insights about why you want to downsize. It's about having a friendly neighborhood, where neighbors want to hang out together. I get it. The house and all the work isn't worth it.

I worry though that what you crave doesn't really have to do with a house. It is more of a lifestyle, friends and neighbors that hang out together. You may move and still not find the friendliness you want. You may find an adorable little house and still feel isolated from your neighbors.

Making friends, especially as we get older, is tough. People are set in their ways. I know personally that I have not even greeted or new neighbors yet. I am perfectly happy with our own little life. Just like your neighbors I have lots of girlfriends and I would rather go out with them, versus hanging with my neighbors. (And our neighbors are all really nice!)

My in-laws moved into the neatest subdivision out in the middle of nowhere central Illinois farmland. They have a beautiful lake, but do not live on the lake. What works for them is all the social groups: gardening club, grandmothers' club, bocci ball. It was super easy for them to find neighbors to hang out with. There is also a pool for water aerobics. It' not a retirment community, it's more like it's own little town.
Jill in Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #35
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
It is interesting to see how the notion of "small" has changed over the years - I grew up in a house comparable to both of those (about 1000 sq ft, but with a basement) and it was considered a nice sized home for a family when my parents bought it (in the 70s). Now it is what we downsize to when the nest is empty!

1000 sq feet WITH a basement is not really that small. It could be 2000 sq ft of living space. 1000 sq ft without a basement is much smaller.

I've been reading this thread thinking "are they talking about with a basement or without?" Even if you only use a basement for storage, it adds a huge space value!

I have 1800 sq ft with no basement. If I "downsized" into a 1000 sq ft home with a basement I'd be gaining space!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #36
Tinetine
Earning My Ears

Would it be a possibility for you to refinance your home, buy a smaller property with the money, and rent the larger home ? The tenants would pay the mortgage, and you would not lose that 150k. You could still sell the house in 10-15 years w7if the market picks up...And you could afford to be very picky with tenants, since you don't need that income to survive !
Old 08-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #37
jgreco
Mouseketeer

We considered renting it out, however the home is VERY high maintenance. There is a lot of things like home automation, mosquito misting system, the pool, the hot tub, the boat lift, dock and property lights, I could go on and on. Hubby is worried that any tenants won't take care of it properly.

@Jill- very good points
jgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #38
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

Hi to my fellow Mainers! I wanted to say that I was forceably downsized when my 4 bedroom, 1.5 bath cape with daylight basement was foreclosed on a few years ago (2008) then we moved in with my sister who has a 3 bedroom ranch (we got 2 bedrooms) then we bought out right a 1972 moblie home and are happy as clams! our rent is at least half of what we paid my sister and about 1/3 of what we paid living in our big house .. its only a single wide, has 2 bedrooms, 1 bath w/ kitchen and living room .. fits us perfectly - my kids are only home every other week and now well my DD has moved on campus for her freshman year in college so just my DS is home every other week and he is a 10th grader so in a few years we'll be empty nesters and it will be even more perfect! we couldn't be happier, we have nice quiet neighbors who keep up with their property are in the back side of the park so we have a nice wooded area across the street. downsizing was a blessing for us.. it ended up that we halved then we halved again!!

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me and the Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = Aug 18, 2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
bigsis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #39
kamik86
DIS Veteran

I am currently in the process of buying my first home. Alot of the things we saw here were things we took into consideration when looking. There were a few houses with a much bigger hard and much more space but it was really too big for us being just a couple. We don't need that much space and even with kids won't for years. We went with one with smaller rooms but still bigger then what we have now and a yard but not one that would require a ride on lawn mower to mow... Its a bit under 1200 square feet not counting the basement (which is semi-finished, concrete floors and walls but its heated and has outlets and stuff)
Old 09-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #40
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

I'd love to get a bigger home; we have a little over 1600 sq ft which is tight for the 5 of us. We would also like a larger yard and more privacy from the neighbors. The plan is to renovate the kitchen to sell, stay for another 2-3 years, then buy something out in the country that is a bit larger in all aspects.

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: