Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
hokie98
Mouseketeer

Kingdom Camera Rentals?

Just curious if anyone has used them, and how you felt about their service/equipment. I saw an ad on a Disney photog blog, and am considering renting a wide angle lens (Nikon 10-24mm or 12-24mm). Their pricing is pretty similar to LensRentals.com, and while Kingdom has free delivery to the resorts, it may be hard to pinpoint an exact time to meet them. Again, just looking for some feedback.

BTW, shooting a D90, and no, I'd rather rent than buy the lens. If I love it, then maybe I'll buy one later.

POR - Royal Room (10/12)
ASSp (01/09)
Daytrip to MK (11/00)
Spring Break trip visiting college roommate interning @ WDW & toured AK 2 weeks before opening to the public! (04/98)
hokie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Rhinohunter
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokie98
Just curious if anyone has used them, and how you felt about their service/equipment. I saw an ad on a Disney photog blog, and am considering renting a wide angle lens (Nikon 10-24mm or 12-24mm). Their pricing is pretty similar to LensRentals.com, and while Kingdom has free delivery to the resorts, it may be hard to pinpoint an exact time to meet them. Again, just looking for some feedback.

BTW, shooting a D90, and no, I'd rather rent than buy the lens. If I love it, then maybe I'll buy one later.
I am on the way home from two weeks at Disney. I chose to rent lenses from Kingdom Camera Rentals for the vacation. I rented two lenses a Nikon 18-300 tele, a Nikon 10.5 fisheye and a Lowenpro bag. They were delivered to my resort at 7:30 am on the first day and picked up at the resort this morning at 7:30. (That sure beat driving about 45 minutes each to get to LensRentals office). Lenise is very easy to work with. The equipment is very high quality. I checked with other rental companies but decided to rent from KINGDOM after spending some time on their website and their Disney Photo Blog and speaking with Lenise. I highly recommend this company. My shot count was approx 4000. Got a lot of editing to do when I get home

BTW I have added the 18-300 to my list of things to buy in the future. It is a bit heavy but NOT bad enough to leave home. I carried it mounted most of the time while at Disney. If you are going to take any flash pix, you may want to consider using an external flash instead of the built in flash. The size of the 18-300 is so large that the built in flash causes shadows in close pix.

Once again-----Great lenses and great company and people. Recommended.
Rhinohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
hokie98
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinohunter View Post
I am on the way home from two weeks at Disney. I chose to rent lenses from Kingdom Camera Rentals for the vacation. I rented two lenses a Nikon 18-300 tele, a Nikon 10.5 fisheye and a Lowenpro bag. They were delivered to my resort at 7:30 am on the first day and picked up at the resort this morning at 7:30. (That sure beat driving about 45 minutes each to get to LensRentals office). Lenise is very easy to work with. The equipment is very high quality. I checked with other rental companies but decided to rent from KINGDOM after spending some time on their website and their Disney Photo Blog and speaking with Lenise. I highly recommend this company. My shot count was approx 4000. Got a lot of editing to do when I get home

BTW I have added the 18-300 to my list of things to buy in the future. It is a bit heavy but NOT bad enough to leave home. I carried it mounted most of the time while at Disney. If you are going to take any flash pix, you may want to consider using an external flash instead of the built in flash. The size of the 18-300 is so large that the built in flash causes shadows in close pix.

Once again-----Great lenses and great company and people. Recommended.
Thanks Rhinohunter! That's exactly the info I was looking to receive! I sent an email inquiring through their website late Friday, but haven't heard back yet. If I don't hear something by later tomorrow, I'll try calling. I've looked at the other online rental companies, and their prices are very reasonable (actually, the best I've found), and the pickup/dropoff sounds alot simpler to me than trying to arrange to have a lens shipped to/from the resort (esp since were coming/going over the weekend), or paying for extra days to have it shipping to/from our home.

Glad to hear you had a great experience, and thanks for the review of the 18-300! I may have to check that out ;-). Have fun editing those 4000 shots!

POR - Royal Room (10/12)
ASSp (01/09)
Daytrip to MK (11/00)
Spring Break trip visiting college roommate interning @ WDW & toured AK 2 weeks before opening to the public! (04/98)
Old 09-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
razza1987
Mouseketeer

I didn't know this service was possible. where do you go to see what they have for rental?

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Old 09-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
hokie98
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by razza1987 View Post
I didn't know this service was possible. where do you go to see what they have for rental?

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
I can't post the link, but if you google "Kingdom Camera Rentals", the website will pop up. There is also a link via the Disney Photography Blog.

There are alot of other internet-based rental companies, but this is the only one that I know of that caters specifically to WDW guests. I believe they are a fairly new company.

POR - Royal Room (10/12)
ASSp (01/09)
Daytrip to MK (11/00)
Old 09-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
ChiSoxKeith
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokie98 View Post
I can't post the link, but if you google "Kingdom Camera Rentals", the website will pop up. There is also a link via the Disney Photography Blog.

There are alot of other internet-based rental companies, but this is the only one that I know of that caters specifically to WDW guests. I believe they are a fairly new company.
There's a 20% discount code for them over at Disney Photography Blog......
You would think the 60+ minutes I put into running the weekly photo contests would allow me to put a link in my signature letting people know about the Disney related iPhone projects I work on. You would be wrong.
ChiSoxKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Luvscrappin
Mouseketeer

I rented from Kingdom Camera Rentals last weekend. I had pre ordered two lenses to rent for our weekend and first time for MNSSHP. (I rented the 17-55 f/2.8 and the 10-22mm ultra wide angel lens) They were very accommodating as far as delivery and pick up times. Unfortunately, my personal Canon T3i died on the first night ...of course it was at MNSSHP! I literally cried! (Kept getting an error 40 msg.) First thing next morning I called Kingdom Camera rental and asked to rent a canon body. They went out of their way to help me out! I can not speak highly enough of the great customer service I received from this company! Next time we visit the area I will definitely use Kingdom Camera Rental again! I also felt like I need to purchase the lens I borrowed because I really loved them!

PS. My camera has been repaired and is on its way back to me!

Luvscrappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvscrappin View Post
I rented from Kingdom Camera Rentals last weekend. I had pre ordered two lenses to rent for our weekend and first time for MNSSHP. (I rented the 17-55 f/2.8 and the 10-22mm ultra wide angel lens) They were very accommodating as far as delivery and pick up times. Unfortunately, my personal Canon T3i died on the first night ...of course it was at MNSSHP! I literally cried! (Kept getting an error 40 msg.) First thing next morning I called Kingdom Camera rental and asked to rent a canon body. They went out of their way to help me out! I can not speak highly enough of the great customer service I received from this company! Next time we visit the area I will definitely use Kingdom Camera Rental again! I also felt like I need to purchase the lens I borrowed because I really loved them!

Oh no, that is terrible! I was wondering where you were standing at the party that night as I knew you were also going to be there. Although the rain during the fireworks didn't help. That explains why you didn't post pics - I was going to be cheeky and ask you

Did you get good use of the rental camera with the lenses for the rest of your trip?
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Oh my this is amazing! I was looking to rent a lens from home and it was super expensive!!! This is really cheap!

So, if I purchase that waiver and break the lens then I would only be responsible for 15% of the lens whereas if I break it without damage liability I am responsible for 100% of the MSRP?

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
Luvscrappin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
Oh no, that is terrible! I was wondering where you were standing at the party that night as I knew you were also going to be there. Although the rain during the fireworks didn't help. That explains why you didn't post pics - I was going to be cheeky and ask you

Did you get good use of the rental camera with the lenses for the rest of your trip?

I stood in the middle of Main St USA and took pictures begrudgingly with my iphone 4s. I did get good use of the lenses with the body I rented for the rest of my trip. My DH felt so bad that he actually stood with me and helped move my tripod and readjust it etc just so I could take pics for a few hours on our last day. I now understand why people travel with multiple camera bodies Did you get any good shots that night?

Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I hope you got some shots you liked once the new body arrived. I've filed that name away in case I ever have a camera emergency at Disney. I actually had one at Disneyland 5 years ago so I do know the feeling. My DSLR just up and died about half way through. I really was devastated, even though I had a point and shoot along as back-up.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
Luvscrappin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I hope you got some shots you liked once the new body arrived. I've filed that name away in case I ever have a camera emergency at Disney. I actually had one at Disneyland 5 years ago so I do know the feeling. My DSLR just up and died about half way through. I really was devastated, even though I had a point and shoot along as back-up.
Thanks, yes..it was a terrible feeling. We also had a point and shoot with us but had left it in the room that night It was such a lifesaver to be able to rent that camera body and like I said they went out of their way to help me out. I highly recommend Kingdom Camera Rentals. I did get some nice shots, but like they say "practice makes perfect" so I guess another trip may be in the cards!

Old 10-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #13
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
I stood in the middle of Main St USA and took pictures begrudgingly with my iphone 4s. I did get good use of the lenses with the body I rented for the rest of my trip. My DH felt so bad that he actually stood with me and helped move my tripod and readjust it etc just so I could take pics for a few hours on our last day. I now understand why people travel with multiple camera bodies Did you get any good shots that night?
You must have been standing in front of me (doubt you were behind me because I was walking to the Hub and actually went back down Main St to get a different view). I posted the few that weren't totally ruined by rain spots (oh and my corded remote shutter release just stopped working after the first click!) - I just added them to the same thread I originally posted on called something like "Fireworks, thanks for your help"
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 AM   #14
hokie98
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Oh my this is amazing! I was looking to rent a lens from home and it was super expensive!!! This is really cheap!

So, if I purchase that waiver and break the lens then I would only be responsible for 15% of the lens whereas if I break it without damage liability I am responsible for 100% of the MSRP?
I haven't read their fine print, but the way other rental companies work, if you were to break/damage the lens, without the waiver/insurance, you're responsible for the full amount to REPAIR the lens (or I guess the full MSRP if it's beyond repair), whereas the waiver sort of acts like a deductible.

Quote:

Oh no! I think I would have cried too! Actually, I know I would have! But I'm really glad you were able to rent a body in the meanwhile. Thanks for the positive review. I still haven't heard back from them - sounds like I need to give them a call today!

POR - Royal Room (10/12)
ASSp (01/09)
Daytrip to MK (11/00)
Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
KingdomGirl
Viewfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokie98 View Post
I haven't read their fine print, but the way other rental companies work, if you were to break/damage the lens, without the waiver/insurance, you're responsible for the full amount to REPAIR the lens (or I guess the full MSRP if it's beyond repair), whereas the waiver sort of acts like a deductible.

Oh no! I think I would have cried too! Actually, I know I would have! But I'm really glad you were able to rent a body in the meanwhile. Thanks for the positive review. I still haven't heard back from them - sounds like I need to give them a call today!
Hi Hokie98. We saw your posts about not receiving a reply from us so we searched thru all our emails- spam and all...and we don't have any unanswered emails. We even responded via email a second time to someone... just in case that was you, but that person replied right away. We typically return emails and phone calls the same day, so please give us a call or email us thru Disboards and we'll answer any questions you have right away. )

We appreciate all the nice comments and feedback everyone left us! )
KingdomGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: