DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
brookberry
Earning My Ears

Why Hilton Head so much cheaper?

First post here! I've been researching buying DVC resale and saw that Hilton Head resort is significantly cheaper than others (like 50%!). Is it simply because it's not near Disney World?

If we never book our vacations 11 months in advance anyway, which is what I understand the benefit of a "home resort", then Hilton Head should make no difference than say BLT?

I guess it's possible that when we are ready to book BLT, it's already fully booked? But I find it hard to believe that there are no available resorts on Disney property if I don't have one as a home resort.

What am I missing? Thanks!
brookberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

2nd highest dues, not at WDW, requires additional maintenance due to salt air, may be subject to bad weather and hurricanes.

If it was a great deal, there would be a waiting list to buy there.

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
MickeyFan612
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookberry View Post
First post here! I've been researching buying DVC resale and saw that Hilton Head resort is significantly cheaper than others (like 50%!). Is it simply because it's not near Disney World?

If we never book our vacations 11 months in advance anyway, which is what I understand the benefit of a "home resort", then Hilton Head should make no difference than say BLT?

I guess it's possible that when we are ready to book BLT, it's already fully booked? But I find it hard to believe that there are no available resorts on Disney property if I don't have one as a home resort.

The maint. fees are more expensive for vero and hilton head...My guess is that insurance rates are much higher and there are more expensive upkeeps associated with properties on the coastlines I would think that the higher dues are mostly what drag the cost/point down on both of those DVC locations. I can't wait to hear others have to say
MickeyFan612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You get what you pay for. With the highest dues (VB & HH) and no WDW 11 month window, there are significant compromises buying at the off property options to use for WDW.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
rmcildw2m
Mouseketeer

I once owned there for two years , never seen it in person but read many times how awesome it was from those who have . I bought there because points were cheap but dues are higher , but also I never had a problem booking at any on property resort using hhi popints .
Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
demand is higher at wdw than a hilton head location off the beach. it's true.

Quote:
sure...

Quote:
I guess it's possible that when we are ready to book BLT, it's already fully booked?
yep - probably should learn to love SSR, though...and your dues will likely be higher than SSR. there are other smaller risks that relate to offsite locations and being near the ocean but you can search if you are interested. they may not be a big deal.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
drusba

DIS Veteran

Add to the above that HH's end date is 2042. BLT, which you mention, has a 2060 end date. SSR, a low cost WDW option, is 2054.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
crisi
DIS Veteran

If you aren't going to be able to book more than seven months out, buy the best value - but look at overall value including dues over time - that will drive most people towards SSR as an overall value. Home resort has two important components - home resort booking advantage - and DUES.

But if you are booking short notice, be aware than DVC may not be the best choice anyway. There are almost always rooms available at seven months (there was one year where either October or early December was gridlocked then according to posts here, but its a rare occurrence) - however, the same can not be said for four months out. October has had spotty availability now for over a month - with some nights not being available at all. So if "we can't book at eleven months" means "we book short notice" - it might not be a good choice. If "we can't book at eleven months" means "we can book at eight" - you'll still find a lot more home resort availability at eight than at seven. If it means you can call the morning of the seven month window - you might not always get what you want, but you'll rarely be locked out of anything at WDW.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #9
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Location, location, location
Not at Disney, not on the beach

I owned, I sold after visiting. Location did nothing for me I prefer my beach visits to be at least within walking distance of an ocean
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
CMOORE185
HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

If you do not want to use HH for 11 month booking advantage in summer do not buy there. I own at HH but I go there a lot in the summer months. I also own at SSR for use at WDW.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
If we never book our vacations 11 months in advance anyway...
Then realize your options may be severely limited when you do get around to making reservations. Most people view their Home resort as a location they can safely book up to 11 months out, while trying to switch elsewhere at 7 months.

If you buy HHI, you won't be able to book anything until 7 months if you plan on going to Walt Disney World. If you do book at 7 months, most times you will have several destinations to choose from but wait much longer and options will quickly shrink.

DVC resorts at designed to be near 100% occupancy year-round. Smaller and more popular DVC resorts will often be completely sold out more than 6 months prior to arrival. Don't let prior experience booking Disney resorts as a cash lead you astray. A cash guest could book the Beach Club on a week's notice but all of the Beach Club Villas available for DVC points bookings were likely taken 7-8 months ago.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
brookberry
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for all the inputs, definitely learned a lot about DVC! Looks like if Disney resorts are what we want, should go for a Disney DVC, but will make a decision soon. Thanks again!
brookberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks so much for all the inputs, definitely learned a lot about DVC! Looks like if Disney resorts are what we want, should go for a Disney DVC, but will make a decision soon. Thanks again!
Don't buy a property based on buy in price. Base it on dues and where you might be happiest staying. I don't think SSR would be a huge difference for the buyin (if you go resale) but the dues difference will be big over the life of the contract. It makes no sense to buy HH or VB unless you actually plan to stay there and need the home resort availability.....at least it makes no sense IMHO
Old 09-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
Mississippian
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyman_apd View Post
Don't buy a property based on buy in price. Base it on dues and where you might be happiest staying. I don't think SSR would be a huge difference for the buyin (if you go resale) but the dues difference will be big over the life of the contract. It makes no sense to buy HH or VB unless you actually plan to stay there and need the home resort availability.....at least it makes no sense IMHO
One note about VB. I think it might be possible to buy Vero for $35 per point. Now the dues may be $2 per year higher, but when considering the interest it's going to take a long time for that dues difference to erase a $30 per point price difference.

If the OP does buy onsite and will be able to book at seven months plus one day, I would urge him or her to not just go for the lowest price. Balance low price with location and resort desirability.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #15
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippian View Post
One note about VB. I think it might be possible to buy Vero for $35 per point. Now the dues may be $2 per year higher, but when considering the interest it's going to take a long time for that dues difference to erase a $30 per point price difference.

If the OP does buy onsite and will be able to book at seven months plus one day, I would urge him or her to not just go for the lowest price. Balance low price with location and resort desirability.
Actually, if you owned 100 pts for 30 years at (right now anyway) a $2.34 difference in dues is over $7,000 difference in dues over that time. That's more than double the added the buy in price. But you are right, calculate the interest (if it's being financed) and the savings will drop. Even if you can get VB for $30 less than SSR, I think the advantage to owning a resort on property is better than off. Just my opinion. Only the buyer can really decide what's best for them. But I wouldn't buy at a place I would never stay.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: