Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #106
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?

So far, so good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokids0204 View Post
From our 2010 trip - Meeting King Louie was quite a momentous event.
In 2010 we had a lengthy meeting with Louie and Baloo at AK we were the last in line before the cut off and they took some time to play with the kids and their stuffies. HIghlight was Louie taking off with our stroller.

Quote:
[B][COLOR="Blue"]Saturday Aug 18th
Travel Day

We are flying out of Rochester NY. About 200 miles (3 1/2 hours) from home. Flight it around 5:30 pm.

But you never know what kind of delays you may encounter:

- Traffic
- Border Wait
- I gotta pee
- Airport security

So we planned on leaving home around 8:00 am. At least that's what I told the family. Really I was ok, pushing it up to 9:00 am at the latest.

But sure enough, by 7:50 am everyone was ready to go, and we were on the road by 8:00 on the nose. I guess everyone was excited and stoked to go.

A quick breakfast stop at Tim Horton's and the adventure begins.

We were in no huge rush to get there, so we took our drive at a leisurely pace. We crossed the border at around 11:00 am. Security let us through, no hassles... Suckers!
I think the way the economy is, the more $$ you are planning to spend, the more eager they are to let you cross. That explains our hassle-free monthly spendothons.

We did the US side and Goat Island years ago, and while the vista might be more spectacular in Canada, the experience at Goat Island looking at the Falls is something special. It's the only way to look at it in a more "natural" setting.
Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

Old 09-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #107
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325

Cool vistas from the US side of Niagara. As a good Canadian growing up we went there a few times but always from the "better" Canadian side. Nice to see the other perspective. I think when we take our girls there we'll have to give equal billing as they are dual citizens.

Me (41) DW (29+) DD (11) DD (10) DD (6)
Nov 01 ASMo, Sept 05 WL, Jan 07 POFQ, Nov 09 Poly May 13 Off-Site (Windsor Hills)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #108
mapleleafmom
Earning My Ears

i lived in oakville for 3 yrs, before moving here last aug.
I MISS TIMMY"S!!!!!!! and the plan for THIS summer was to visit the usa side of the falls..although i do LOVE the cnd side. We moved here instead..which is closer to WDW so not too bad of a trade off. I still cry at the cnd pavillion, lol

can't wait to read your trip report and your dd looks JUST like her MOM!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #109
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTikiDaddy View Post
So far, so good...
Thanks sir...

Quote:
In 2010 we had a lengthy meeting with Louie and Baloo at AK we were the last in line before the cut off and they took some time to play with the kids and their stuffies. HIghlight was Louie taking off with our stroller.
We always try to interact with the character's a little more than just a picture. I like testin' them on there backstory...

Quote:
We did the US side and Goat Island years ago, and while the vista might be more spectacular in Canada, the experience at Goat Island looking at the Falls is something special. It's the only way to look at it in a more "natural" setting.
They really do present it in it's natural setting... Guess they have to make up for the view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlepat View Post
Cool vistas from the US side of Niagara. As a good Canadian growing up we went there a few times but always from the "better" Canadian side. Nice to see the other perspective. I think when we take our girls there we'll have to give equal billing as they are dual citizens.

Worth the trip over for the day, also there is some pretty good shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafmom View Post
i lived in oakville for 3 yrs, before moving here last aug.
I MISS TIMMY"S!!!!!!! and the plan for THIS summer was to visit the usa side of the falls..although i do LOVE the cnd side. We moved here instead..which is closer to WDW so not too bad of a trade off. I still cry at the cnd pavillion, lol

can't wait to read your trip report and your dd looks JUST like her MOM!!!
Thanks for joining... I am guessing you are going to enjoy our day in the Canada pavilion at Epcot. Stay tuned.

And Yes, my DD is a spitting image of Mom.

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561

Last edited by twokids0204; 09-02-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #110
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

nice uopdate brian!!! i had to laugh, every time i have been to the falls, we always went to the canadian side.
nice pics.
wheres barry?

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 09-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #111
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?

Quote:
They really do present it in it's natural setting... Guess they have to make up for the view.

A very good book to read is Niagara:A History of the Falls by Pierre Burton. Very good for insight between the two sides.
Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #112
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Yeesh. I'm eight pages late to the trip report and you haven't even gotten to Orlando yet? Someone wake me when this thing actually starts.

Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

Last edited by AJRitz; 09-02-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:13 AM   #113
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
Yeesh. I'm eight pages late to the trip report and you haven't even gotten to Orlando yet? Someone wake me when this thing actually starts.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #114
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post
nice uopdate brian!!! i had to laugh, every time i have been to the falls, we always went to the canadian side.
nice pics.
wheres barry?
Thanks...
Next time you are there, give me a call then head North about 90 minutes, I'll fire up the grill.

Quote:
A very good book to read is Niagara:A History of the Falls by Pierre Burton. Very good for insight between the two sides.
Will have to check it out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRitz View Post
We were waiting patiently for you to arrive.
Welcome Aaron...

Now off to Orlando!

Member #561
Old 09-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #115
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
We were in no huge rush to get there, so we took our drive at a leisurely pace. We crossed the border at around 11:00 am. Security let us through, no hassles... Suckers!
Even with all the grenades in the trunk?

Quote:
I was quite surprised with the pedestrian bridge, and some of the forest trails that feed the rapids and eventually go over Niagara Falls. The thing I was surprised about was... that there really was no effort (fences, or barriers) to keep people from jumping over or "disposing of a body".
Well, you are in New York.

Quote:
That previous picture was taken in the landing seen in this next picture.

Looks cool!

Quote:
You can also take an adventure on wooden decks, paths, and stairways at the foot of the falls. You will get SOAKED from the mist, and in fact there are portions where the water from Niagara Falls flows right over your feet. It's called CAVE OF THE WINDS, they give you the Standard Niagara Falls rain poncho, but they also give you flip flops as your feet will get soaked! We didn't do this, as we were going to board an airplane in just a few hours. But we will go back again one day.
That sounds awesome. We'll have to try it out sometime.

Quote:
And finally the family shot in front (or actually behind or off to the side of) the Canadian Horseshoe Falls - quite a sight to see... but from Canada. The majesticness of it is really lost on the American side.
Yeah, I remember that being the case from years past. It's just a better view.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #116
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561

After our side excursion to Niagara Falls, it's off to Rochester to catch our plane.

We set the GPS for Rochester Airport and hit the highway.

It's about 12:30 now, and we are all getting hungry. Just outside Niagara Falls, NY. A solid 2+ hours from home, we pull over to a highway rest stop for lunch.

We pick up a quick bite, and sit down to eat it. As we are eating, my DD starts staring at a girl at the next table, and their daughter starts staring at my DD. To be honest I didn't even notice this happening, but they looked over at our table and asked... "Do you girls know each other?"

Both a little shy, but they nod .

I ask them where... well they went to Summer Institute (summer camp program) together earlier this summer.

Wow... Turns out they live about 3 minutes away from us.

OK, back on the road, bellies full, potty break done... No stopping until we hit Rochester.

Back on the road, and we hit Rochester by about 2:30, we find the airport, get our bearings straight, and find were we are going to park. Good... now off to Wal-Mart as my DS lost his sunglasses before we left. Picked up a pair of Phineas and Ferb sunglasses, and a box of Cereal for morning the mornings, and back to the airport.

Park the Car - Head to the Terminal - Security - Gate - Check in - Fly!

We had a stopover in Atlanta. We arrived about 15 minutes ahead of schedule... Yeah Pilot!

Our next flight is scheduled to fly out at 9:40 pm (start boarding around 9:10).

It's around 8:45 and the airplane is outside the gate, everything is looking up... then the announcement...

"Attention ladies and gentlemen, the airplane is on time and ready. However the flight crew for this flight is late coming in on another flight. They are scheduled to arrive around 9:15, then they have to deplane, and debrief with their captain on the other flight, then find their way to this gate, do preliminary checks, and a preliminary briefing with this captain, then they can start boarding".

Ugggggghhhhhh....

So after all that we finally board at around 10:00 pm.

But wait - it gets better.

As we are boarding, and they are about to close the plane door, a couple around the middle refuses to sit down in their seats. Why? The seat is wet and dirty from the previous flight. There was a full "Air Sickness" bag on their seat.

So now the crew has to call in the Maintenance team, with their heavy duty chemicals and they clean down the seat, remove any residue, and finally we are ready to leave. Around 10:30.

We arrive at Orlando International around 11:30 pm, and head straight to Baggage. Magical Express doesn't bring your bags after 10:00 pm.

So we get out bags, and head to ME counter, and board the bus around 12:00 am. We are the first ones on the bus. So we wait, and we wait... until the bus is about half full. It's now close to 12:45 am, and we finally leave to WDW.

We arrive at around 1:10 am. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside.

First Stop - Contemporary
Second Stop - Wilderness Lodge
Third Stop - (almost 1:30 am) - Port Orleans.

Long Day...

Member #561
Old 09-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #117
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

Long travel day!!! Whew!!! I think if I had seen the seat on the plane that needed cleaning attention that they might have had to clean up a mess in the ailes! Sounds like you guys have found a new playmate for your daughter!!!
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (46) DW Shari (45) DS Ethan (7) DD Lauren (6)
Old 09-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #118
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

wow!!! thats a long day.

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 09-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #119
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561

We just flew in, and arrived at Port Orleans, and as the old joke goes "Boy are my arm's tired".

This was our first time at Port Orleans Riverside, and our first impressions, even that late at night were in awe. Such a beautiful resort.

The main check in area is themed after the Sassagoula Riverboat.

It's got a real turn of the century charm to it.

There are these HUGE bell like structures hanging on both ends of the room, any guesses what they are?

They are actually FANS... they sway back and forth moving the air around, the way they would have on the huge riverboat's.

Looking around at the decor, we even found a few Hidden Mickey's.

So we make our way through the huge 1:30 am crowd , to the online check in counter. I had called a couple of days prior, and made a room request. Although we booked standard view room, with the help of these boards and some friends that were made, I knew what to ask for.

I asked for the Magnolia Building, as close to the front as possible on the main floor.

And sure enough, that's what we got.

We walked into the room to find a Mickey Head made out of towels on the bed.

There is artwork of a old Louisiana Steamboat entitled "Celebrating Mardi Gras on the Mark Twain". The banners and Archways kinda look like they may also be hidden Mickey's.

The headboards were also very cool.

And a couple of other random Hidden Mickey's

The wallpaper border

The Coat Rack

OK, enough pictures - it's closing in on 2:00 am, and tomorrow is a Park Day.

Lights Out.

Member #561
Old 09-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #120
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave

Awesome update Brian. Sorry for the jabs......

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 7/12/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: