Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #1456
nuzmom
a real Robinhood

gmeh1 - if we use the kiosk to check-in and the price is different that what is quoted (for instance, it didn't take the visa coupon off), do we have to wait in line inside, or can we go grab a car and have the exit attendant do the adjustment?
Also, it's my understanding that Alamo doesn't charge for a no show - we are Alamo insiders and haven't held the reservations with a credit card. Is that correct?
We are thinking of going to the lot first, putting all the suitcases in and then going inside to checkout using a kiosk. If we're not comfortable with the full size car (suitcases don't fit), then we'd switch over and use our minivan reservation. This would only work if we can hold two reservations without penalty. (could/should I cancel the unused reservation upon leaving the lot?)

Upcoming: AKV, Dec '14
Past: AKV - Aug/Sept '13, OKW - Dec '12, AKV - Sept '11, SSR/AKV - Dec '10, AKV/BLT - Sept 09, SSR - Oct 08, SSR - Dec 07, POR, DCL, BWV - Aug/Sept 06, SSR - Dec 05, BWV - Sept 05, OKW - Dec 04, FWCabins - Sept 04 (became DVC member), FWCabins - Sept 99, Contemporary - June 89, Offsite - May 84, Contemporary - Dec 82, DL - 78
nuzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #1457
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzmom View Post
gmeh1 - if we use the kiosk to check-in and the price is different that what is quoted (for instance, it didn't take the visa coupon off), do we have to wait in line inside, or can we go grab a car and have the exit attendant do the adjustment?
Not answering this as an expert, but since it happened to me I'll give it a shot. I'd get it fixed inside - it took a manager to make the adjustment for me (the first person I talked to at the counter had to get a manager)...but in my case, the base rate was coming up wrong, not the coupon. I'm not sure what authority the exit attendant had; actually if I didn't get it fixed at the counter, I'd try one of the greeters before you get to the car.

Quote:
Also, it's my understanding that Alamo doesn't charge for a no show - we are Alamo insiders and haven't held the reservations with a credit card. Is that correct?
Correct, if it isn't held with a credit card, there shouldn't be a problem with being a noshow. But, although I'm sure you can get away with it, I don't like the idea of having two reservations at the same agency, especially if tied to the same Insiders account.

Quote:
We are thinking of going to the lot first, putting all the suitcases in and then going inside to checkout using a kiosk. If we're not comfortable with the full size car (suitcases don't fit), then we'd switch over and use our minivan reservation. This would only work if we can hold two reservations without penalty. (could/should I cancel the unused reservation upon leaving the lot?)
You want to claim a car before even doing the rental paperwork? That sounds pretty cheesy to me. My recent experience with Alamo is there's often a greeter that comes out to look at your contract and shows you where the correct row is. Maybe I'm completely wrong on this.
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #1458
SingLikeC
Saving ears through music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post

It is not Alamo's fault that customers cannot make up their minds, so, I find your comment about them not moving customers along in a timely manner rather harsh. Good customer service means taking time with a customer to make sure they are completely satisfied. Hint: IF this should ever occur again, use the booth in the garage. They can take care of any problems you have upon return. That is what they are there for.
I'm not "blaming" Alamo, but I think you misunderstood my complaint. I like good customer service as well, however, the majority of the conversations that were held right in front of me at the rental counter were not about the car rental, but was small talk and laughter in general, so my comment wasn't harsh. It was saying that although Alamo tries to show that they care about their customers, they are overindulging in unnecessary small talk. I know I'm not the only customer who has experienced this lol. And the garage outside asked me to go the the counter inside :-/, not sure what happened there.

WDW/UO 1992-WDW/UO 1999-WDW August 2013-
WDW/UO? October 2015
SingLikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #1459
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, you cannot have the exit agent make the correction. If you find that to be the case after you use the kiosk, the counter or the booth in the garage can make the adjustments. There is always a manager in the garage.
Alamo does not charge for a no show.
You can select a vehicle and put your suitcases in it. Lock the vehicle and take the keys with you and go use the kiosk. This is not usually appreciated by other renters, but, there is no rule against it. You can explain what you are trying to do to the greeter in the garage and they will assist you as best they can.
Make sure you print out the reservation confirmations before you leave home.
As to cancelling, as a courtesy, I would cancel it at the booth in the garage. It holds up the exit booth unnecessarily when you try to make changes, adjustments or additions while there and it does upset other customers who have waited in line and who just want to be on their way.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #1460
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo View Post
Not answering this as an expert, but since it happened to me I'll give it a shot. I'd get it fixed inside - it took a manager to make the adjustment for me (the first person I talked to at the counter had to get a manager)...but in my case, the base rate was coming up wrong, not the coupon. I'm not sure what authority the exit attendant had; actually if I didn't get it fixed at the counter, I'd try one of the greeters before you get to the car.

Correct, if it isn't held with a credit card, there shouldn't be a problem with being a noshow. But, although I'm sure you can get away with it, I don't like the idea of having two reservations at the same agency, especially if tied to the same Insiders account.

You want to claim a car before even doing the rental paperwork? That sounds pretty cheesy to me. My recent experience with Alamo is there's often a greeter that comes out to look at your contract and shows you where the correct row is. Maybe I'm completely wrong on this.
People do the double booking, unfortunately, all the time and they do "try on cars for size" often and they also take a vehicle, load it up and go inside.
The greeter just asks what they have rented and shows them the proper row. If the renter holds two ressies and tells the greeter what their intent is, they will assist in anyway possible.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #1461
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingLikeC View Post
I'm not "blaming" Alamo, but I think you misunderstood my complaint. I like good customer service as well, however, the majority of the conversations that were held right in front of me at the rental counter were not about the car rental, but was small talk and laughter in general, so my comment wasn't harsh. It was saying that although Alamo tries to show that they care about their customers, they are overindulging in unnecessary small talk. I know I'm not the only customer who has experienced this lol. And the garage outside asked me to go the the counter inside :-/, not sure what happened there.
Sadly, customers do not show a lot of consideration when they start chatting away like they are the only ones in line. Again, sadly, the employee is not allowed to cut a customer short and has to indulge the customer in this small talk. There really is no way to shut a customer off and go to the next one. If you ask a customer if there is anything more they can do for you and said customer keeps on talking, then the agent has to listen. I don't think the agent is overindulging, I think it is the customer with the lack of regard for others is the culprit. To cut off a customer is considered rude and that is poor customers service. Not sure if you have ever worked in a customer centric profession, but, that is a pretty universal rule. Sorry the line did not move as quickly as you thought it should. Hopefully, you were not terribly inconvienanced. Not sure why you were sent inside unless the mgr. in the garage was not available, but, then again, I don't know what your problem was, so, I should not have commented on that.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #1462
nuzmom
a real Robinhood

Quote:
No, you cannot have the exit agent make the correction. If you find that to be the case after you use the kiosk, the counter or the booth in the garage can make the adjustments. There is always a manager in the garage.
Alamo does not charge for a no show.
You can select a vehicle and put your suitcases in it. Lock the vehicle and take the keys with you and go use the kiosk. This is not usually appreciated by other renters, but, there is no rule against it. You can explain what you are trying to do to the greeter in the garage and they will assist you as best they can.
Make sure you print out the reservation confirmations before you leave home.
As to cancelling, as a courtesy, I would cancel it at the booth in the garage. It holds up the exit booth unnecessarily when you try to make changes, adjustments or additions while there and it does upset other customers who have waited in line and who just want to be on their way.
Thank you!
Yes, I was getting the exit attendant and the booth in the garage confused. Good to know it can be handled at the booth. Hopefully, it will go smoothly at the kiosk. We've used them before and have had no issues.
I figured we'd leave some of our party at the vehicle while we use the kiosk. I'd feel better with cancelling the other reservation. If not at the booth, I'll go online while we're driving to the world - it's pretty quick and easy online (but will try at the booth first).
Thanks for you input.

Past: AKV - Aug/Sept '13, OKW - Dec '12, AKV - Sept '11, SSR/AKV - Dec '10, AKV/BLT - Sept 09, SSR - Oct 08, SSR - Dec 07, POR, DCL, BWV - Aug/Sept 06, SSR - Dec 05, BWV - Sept 05, OKW - Dec 04, FWCabins - Sept 04 (became DVC member), FWCabins - Sept 99, Contemporary - June 89, Offsite - May 84, Contemporary - Dec 82, DL - 78
Old 08-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #1463
SingLikeC
Saving ears through music!

Quote:

Sadly, customers do not show a lot of consideration when they start chatting away like they are the only ones in line. Again, sadly, the employee is not allowed to cut a customer short and has to indulge the customer in this small talk. There really is no way to shut a customer off and go to the next one. If you ask a customer if there is anything more they can do for you and said customer keeps on talking, then the agent has to listen. I don't think the agent is overindulging, I think it is the customer with the lack of regard for others is the culprit. To cut off a customer is considered rude and that is poor customers service. Not sure if you have ever worked in a customer centric profession, but, that is a pretty universal rule. Sorry the line did not move as quickly as you thought it should. Hopefully, you were not terribly inconvienanced. Not sure why you were sent inside unless the mgr. in the garage was not available, but, then again, I don't know what your problem was, so, I should not have commented on that.
Yea...we're not gonna agree on this one (shrugs) lol. Anyhoo, like I stated earlier, the line wasn't moving sufficiently not only because of the customer's small talk, but also due in part to the employees. Yes, I have worked in a customer centric profession for many years and there are definitely ways to keep the conversation moving forward without it coming across as rude. I don't suggest cutting a customer off, but I don't encourage excessive small talk in lieu of conducting business efficiently which is exactly what was happening. I've had my share of waiting around and yes it sucks. However, I accept waiting when it's justified, but it wasn't in this case in particular.

WDW/UO 1992-WDW/UO 1999-WDW August 2013-
WDW/UO? October 2015
SingLikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #1464
skw444
DIS Veteran

Anyone else still on here watching rates? I leave Saturday and I'm still watching. It's been steady at $136 for the past week for a standard at Alamo for 8/31-9/7.

9/07 POFQ w/free Dining
9/08 POFQ w/free Dining
9/11 POFQ w/free Dining
9/13 Windsor Hills
4/14 Bonnet Creek
skw444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #1465
JimboCh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skw444 View Post
Anyone else still on here watching rates? I leave Saturday and I'm still watching. It's been steady at $136 for the past week for a standard at Alamo for 8/31-9/7.
Are you a Costco member if so you could get a fullsize at Budget for $102 Pre Pay, standard is a couple bucks less.
JimboCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #1466
skw444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboCh View Post
Are you a Costco member if so you could get a fullsize at Budget for $102 Pre Pay, standard is a couple bucks less.
Thanks, unfortunately, not a Costco member.

9/07 POFQ w/free Dining
9/08 POFQ w/free Dining
9/11 POFQ w/free Dining
9/13 Windsor Hills
4/14 Bonnet Creek
Old 08-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #1467
nuzmom
a real Robinhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by skw444 View Post
I'm still here with ya!
Alamo had a dip in price a few days ago but they didn't continue that trend. I am "satisfied" with my rate on a standard/full size, but would like to see the minivan price drop (a lot). Yesterday and today my rates are up a little and holding steady. But, I'm still keeping an eye on them and hoping for a little lower. I'll probably be checking right up until the morning we leave.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #1468
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
People do the double booking, unfortunately, all the time and they do "try on cars for size" often and they also take a vehicle, load it up and go inside.
The greeter just asks what they have rented and shows them the proper row. If the renter holds two ressies and tells the greeter what their intent is, they will assist in anyway possible.
Interesting, that surprises me. I always thought you needed to have the rental contract in hand (meaning fully checked in) before messing with the cars...
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #1469
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo View Post
Interesting, that surprises me. I always thought you needed to have the rental contract in hand (meaning fully checked in) before messing with the cars...
Nope, sadly not. Unless the greeter sees the contract in your hand, they only ask what your rented and then they show you were the appropriate row is. Sometimes customers walk right past the greeters and go where they are supposed to. I'll tell you, Richmo, I could write a book about customers at National and Alamo. I have met some wonderful people and some downright idiots who were rude to the point of me almost losing my temper. Breathe deep and count to ten (sometimes 50).
Old 08-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #1470
skw444
DIS Veteran

It pays to keep watching. I'm down another $7 to $129 for a standard at Alamo.

9/07 POFQ w/free Dining
9/08 POFQ w/free Dining
9/11 POFQ w/free Dining
9/13 Windsor Hills
4/14 Bonnet Creek

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: