Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #1441
JimboCh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxberryJam View Post
Got to the Alamo fullsize aisle around 11pm last night. Walking down the front half of the aisle, hardly any cars...an Impala and an Avenger. I was going to just grab that Impala, but decided to walk further down to the far portion of the aisle. I found, parked bumper to bumper across the parking lines, a cornucopia of sedans, wagons, small SUVs, full size SUVs, minivans, etc. I grabbed a Pathfinder, as it was at the front of the bumper to bumper line of cars. Make sure you walk the whole aisle, dont just grab the first vehicle you can get your hands on!
Great score on the Pathfinder. Congrats
JimboCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #1442
piglet33
DIS Veteran

I caved and did online check-in since we leave tomorrow night, and I don't think the price for a standard will go lower than $146.84.

Good Luck everyone!
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #1443
FoxberryJam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1 View Post

If you see them parked bumper to bumper they are what they call overflow. You are not supposed to take them. They are waiting to be assigned to the proper rows and a Pathfinder is NOT a full size car. Look above you, the signs will tell you if you are in the correct row. In this case, this renter was NOT in full size.
They were parked in the Fullsize row. The giveaway was when I looked above me, the sign said "Fullsize". I asked the agent at the booth about it and they said it was fine. Maybe after a certain hour, they unofficially don't police and enforce this? Or maybe the graveyard shift workers don't care? I dunno.
FoxberryJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #1444
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They were parked in the Fullsize row. The giveaway was when I looked above me, the sign said "Fullsize". I asked the agent at the booth about it and they said it was fine. Maybe after a certain hour, they unofficially don't police and enforce this? Or maybe the graveyard shift workers don't care? I dunno.
The giveaway is the bumper to bumper parking configuration and the large assortment of cars.
They are supposed to "police" it 24/7/365. And, it is supposed to be enforced the same.
But, you would have no way of knowing what bumper to bumper means cause you don't work there. Often they end up with overflow in the normal areas because they have a lot of vehicles prepped.
At least you asked. My comments were to discourage anyone from doing this cause it can cause problems for the renter when they are charged for a "do it yourself" upgrade. I hate to see that happen.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #1445
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

We arrived this evening. Got a red Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was the only Jeep in the row....nice vehicle. Most were Dodge Journeys or Chevy Equinoxes.

DH handed me the paperwork as he was pulling away from the gate agent, and the amount is different (more) than what it was supposed to be ($320 vs. $285). By the time I was able to read it, it was too late to turn around. I am going to have to fight that one out with Alamo . Not sure if I need to call them tomorrow or wait until I drop off the rental on the 31st . Too tired after a day of travelling to figure it out tonight.....will have to give it more thought after a good night's sleep.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #1446
FoxberryJam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeh1

The giveaway is the bumper to bumper parking configuration and the large assortment of cars.
They are supposed to "police" it 24/7/365. And, it is supposed to be enforced the same.
But, you would have no way of knowing what bumper to bumper means cause you don't work there. Often they end up with overflow in the normal areas because they have a lot of vehicles prepped.
At least you asked. My comments were to discourage anyone from doing this cause it can cause problems for the renter when they are charged for a "do it yourself" upgrade. I hate to see that happen.
Agreed...the only portion of your comments that is incorrect for my experience was that I did not get the car from the Fullsize aisle (I did). I personally will have no qualms about trying this again if Alamo allows me to do it with no upcharge...but that is me. Others may not, and thats fine.
FoxberryJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #1447
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
We arrived this evening. Got a red Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was the only Jeep in the row....nice vehicle. Most were Dodge Journeys or Chevy Equinoxes.

DH handed me the paperwork as he was pulling away from the gate agent, and the amount is different (more) than what it was supposed to be ($320 vs. $285). By the time I was able to read it, it was too late to turn around. I am going to have to fight that one out with Alamo . Not sure if I need to call them tomorrow or wait until I drop off the rental on the 31st . Too tired after a day of travelling to figure it out tonight.....will have to give it more thought after a good night's sleep.
Call asap, you don't want to take this up with the return agent since they cannot do anything for you. This is the number for Alamo at MCO. 407-825-1800. Listen to all the options.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #1448
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Agreed...the only portion of your comments that is incorrect for my experience was that I did not get the car from the Fullsize aisle (I did). I personally will have no qualms about trying this again if Alamo allows me to do it with no upcharge...but that is me. Others may not, and thats fine.
Often they park the overflow cars in the rental area. My guess is that you had to cross another driveway type of thing to get to them. one going crosswise to your lane going lengthwise. During really busy times they do park cars there for rentals. Normally, however, it is overflow and yes they do have signs, I did forget, definitely my mistake.
You got lucky and usually when this happens the customer is told and they have the option of taking the upcharge or returning the vehicle and choosing from the proper class. Not your fault that someone was asleep at the switch.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #1449
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Call asap, you don't want to take this up with the return agent since they cannot do anything for you. This is the number for Alamo at MCO. 407-825-1800. Listen to all the options.
Thank you, gmeh1. You rock .

Called tonight and spoke with a fine fellow named Don in Customer Service. He was able to determine that my Visa coupon didn't get carried over (for whatever reason....doesn't matter why, so I didn't press for more) hence the difference in price. He updated the Alamo system to reflect the coupon and the proper charges for the rental.

Your kindness in providing the local number to call was so helpful!! Thanks again .

DH and DS are loving the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #1450
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Called tonight and spoke with a fine fellow named Don in Customer Service. He was able to determine that my Visa coupon didn't get carried over (for whatever reason....doesn't matter why, so I didn't press for more) hence the difference in price. He updated the Alamo system to reflect the coupon and the proper charges for the rental.

Your kindness in providing the local number to call was so helpful!! Thanks again .

You are most welcome, Gina. I am glad that they could help you and get it fixed before you return the vehicle.
Now, go enjoy the rest of your vacation.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #1451
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
...DH handed me the paperwork as he was pulling away from the gate agent, and the amount is different (more) than what it was supposed to be ($320 vs. $285). By the time I was able to read it, it was too late to turn around. I am going to have to fight that one out with Alamo . Not sure if I need to call them tomorrow or wait until I drop off the rental on the 31st . Too tired after a day of travelling to figure it out tonight.....will have to give it more thought after a good night's sleep.
Quote:
Quote:

This sounds like the same thing that happened to me a few weeks ago. For some reason, the prices we're getting quoted when we make our reservation are not the same as when we check in. In my case, I saw a problem right away and had it fixed before I went out to the garage. Alamo needs to fix this; its beyond an isolated problem at this point.

For those of you with Alamo reservations yet to go, I cannot emphasize this enough: Print out a copy of your original reservation that shows the rates you reserved. When you get your contract printed out from the kiosk (or counter), or if you do some kind of online checkin, be very sure the numbers match up. If they don't, try to get it resolved before you pick up the car.
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #1452
SingLikeC
Saving ears through music!

Everyone on this thread is awesome. I just returned from my trip last night and Alamo was pretty great. The car selection wasn't huge as I arrived last Tuesday to about 8 cars on the full size aisle, but the car I chose got the job done. It was a Nissan Altima. Not the nicest, but it was pretty roomy. When I arrived on Tuesday at MCO there was no line at the Alamo counter. But when I had to make adjustments when I returned the car yesterday, the line was short BUT I stood there for 25 mins while people took there precious time changing back and forth between what car size they wanted :-/. That's the only major complaint I have with Alamo--not moving customers along in a timely manner.

WDW/UO 1992-WDW/UO 1999-WDW August 2013-
WDW/UO? October 2015
SingLikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #1453
utkscvol1
DIS Veteran

Well 4 days until arrival and my 8 day full size rental is still sitting at $141 really would love it to drop more!
Old 08-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #1454
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo View Post
This sounds like the same thing that happened to me a few weeks ago. For some reason, the prices we're getting quoted when we make our reservation are not the same as when we check in. In my case, I saw a problem right away and had it fixed before I went out to the garage. Alamo needs to fix this; its beyond an isolated problem at this point.

For those of you with Alamo reservations yet to go, I cannot emphasize this enough: Print out a copy of your original reservation that shows the rates you reserved. When you get your contract printed out from the kiosk (or counter), or if you do some kind of online checkin, be very sure the numbers match up. If they don't, try to get it resolved before you pick up the car.
Excellent advice!!! You should do this for every reservation you have regardless of the agency, hotel, or whatever. I have been advising this forever.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #1455
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingLikeC View Post
Everyone on this thread is awesome. I just returned from my trip last night and Alamo was pretty great. The car selection wasn't huge as I arrived last Tuesday to about 8 cars on the full size aisle, but the car I chose got the job done. It was a Nissan Altima. Not the nicest, but it was pretty roomy. When I arrived on Tuesday at MCO there was no line at the Alamo counter. But when I had to make adjustments when I returned the car yesterday, the line was short BUT I stood there for 25 mins while people took there precious time changing back and forth between what car size they wanted :-/. That's the only major complaint I have with Alamo--not moving customers along in a timely manner.
It is not Alamo's fault that customers cannot make up their minds, so, I find your comment about them not moving customers along in a timely manner rather harsh. Good customer service means taking time with a customer to make sure they are completely satisfied. Hint: IF this should ever occur again, use the booth in the garage. They can take care of any problems you have upon return. That is what they are there for.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: