Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Countdowns and Live Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #2716
FigmentChick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaalja View Post
Had to laugh. I'm usually nervous about taking the kids out of school but my husband pretty much feels the same as you 😋
My son is a straight A student though so it's not an issue for him.
I get nervous because some administrators in the past have "frowned upon" us pulling out the kids. And I have been told more than once "I don't understand why you can't take a vacation in the summer when 'normal' people take one". Well, maybe because I'm paler than a vampire, practically burst in to flame in the hot sun, and get heat stroke really easy. So....going anywhere in summer really isn't an option, let alone to WDW where it's....um, I don't know....crowded. I just get upset when people who don't really know me or my family attempt to fit us in to a mold.

However, this year we seem to be off to a good start: Quinn's teacher wants to stowaway and Amy's principle might go at the same time with us. I'll email Kyle's teachers next week to let them know. The really positive thing is that the marking period ends on Nov 6th; so, I'm hoping I can convince Amy & Kyle's teachers to let them complete all their work and/or tests before we leave....that way: no work to make up!

OK.....kids are off to their first day of school today. I have the next four days off to relax (although, I think I probably will work on some budgets), but do have to run hubby to his doctor appointments today.

Everyone have a great day!

Mar 2006 & Oct 2007 - off-site
Oct 2009 & Oct 2011 - POR, Oct 2013 - OKW
FigmentChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #2717
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentChick I'm always nervous, too, but I take vacation when I can (around tax returns, audits and financials) and my theory is: they are my kids and the school district can suck it! ...

Had to laugh. I'm usually nervous about taking the kids out of school but my husband pretty much feels the same as you dde0b
Mine is in a private Montessori school so it's never an issue. Last year (fourth grade) I took him out for two weeks at the beginning of Dec and the school didn't bat an eye. They just made him keep a journal. They encourage outside learning opportunities anyway. I'm sure when he's in Middle School it will be more complicated to keep up with the work but I still don't think they'll give us flack about it. Honestly, DS is very advanced but he's severely ADHD which affects his productivity. He works so hard. Sometimes during the school year, he just needs a break.

This year we're going on an extra long weekend (conferences and professional day). But that's mostly happy coincidence because its after his baseball season.
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #2718
stmize
Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 14

My kids school district has changed our unscheduled absence policy this yr but I still plan to take our kids out for a day and a half prior to their thanksgiving break. This trip is a big family trip of 10 in the planning for 18 mos or more. So if its a problem they can bite my butt. Lol.

Also. I need a new dooney and plan on getting one on our cruise part of trip but also planning on a cross bag too lol.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #2719
OneBadApple
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentChick I'm always nervous, too, but I take vacation when I can (around tax returns, audits and financials) and my theory is: they are my kids and the school district can suck it! ...

Had to laugh. I'm usually nervous about taking the kids out of school but my husband pretty much feels the same as you 😋
I hate taking the kids out of school, especially now that they are in HS. DH doesn't mind taking them out at all. I think he has the same attitude as FigmentChick.

I did take them out for 3 days for 3 years in a row. At that time DS was still in elementary and DD was is MS. This year we are getting the day before Thanksgiving, so they are only missing 2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsap View Post
I can't believe September is here already! Before we know it, it will be Halloween, and then we will be on our way to Disney!!!

DD started Kindergarten today! Tomorrow we are signing her up for dance classes! I'm sure between school and dance classes we will be so busy & distracted that it's sure to make the time go even faster!!!

Hope everyone one else's little ones have a good first week of school!
My little ones started 10th and 12th grade today. I can't believe how the time flew by. I posted a couple of pictures of DD's first day of PK, K and 1st grade last night on FB and can't believe that she has grown for that little girl to a mature teenager about to graduate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmize View Post
My kids school district has changed our unscheduled absence policy this yr but I still plan to take our kids out for a day and a half prior to their thanksgiving break. This trip is a big family trip of 10 in the planning for 18 mos or more. So if its a problem they can bite my butt. Lol.

Also. I need a new dooney and plan on getting one on our cruise part of trip but also planning on a cross bag too lol.
We are also a group of 10 for a Thanksgiving trip. As I said above, the kids are missing 2 days of school.

at the bold statements.
OneBadApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #2720
RejoyceoverDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentChick View Post
I just get upset when people who don't really know me or my family attempt to fit us in to a mold.

Everyone have a great day!
Oh you took the words and feelings right out of my head/mouth this morning.

Thanks I needed to read that. Even though your context was way different than what I'm dealing with.

And agree! Everyone have a great day!
I hope you find outside of Disney! I could use some.

2014 - POFQ 26th Anniversary! giggles and yay!
2014 - POR solo trip, 2013 - CSR (25th Anniversary month)
2010 - POFQ (Celebrating my special friend 79th birthday - We adopted each other as daughter/Mother), 2008 - POP (Special vacation with youngest son before high school)
2002 - Fort Wilderness Cabins (Hubby and 2 sons), 2000 - Fort Wilderness Cabins (Hubby and 2 sons)
1988 - Polynesian (Honeymoon), 1985 - Disney Land visit one day (girlfriends)
1983 - Disney World (girlfriend - don't remember where we stayed)
RejoyceoverDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #2721
mrsap
Disney World '86, '04, '05, '06, '10, '12, '13, stb '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconuts View Post

My DD just started kindergarten yesterday too! I know with school and activities, the time will just fly now.
Congrats! So exciting!!! I was a little upset this morning, it's her first full day and I know she was nervous. Hope they have a great day!

Onebadapple- I know, it goes way too fast where kids are concerned. I want to hurry and get to Disney, but I don't want the kids to get any older!!!! I hope they have a great day!!!

mrsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #2722
BwoZoo22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Quinlan View Post
we are at 55 days!
Down to 57 days, seven hours, and I just made our last reservation - the towncar to WL! And the company gave me the non-published, not asked for, super secret () return customer rate, so I was super excited! The Disney magic is working already.

Now all my planning is complete, I'm not sure what to do with myself; I was going to see if I could go one day without checking MDE.

BwoZoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #2723
kayakstef
Earning My Ears

Crowd Calculator

We scheduled all of our park days around the Undercover Tourist Crowd Calculator (novice decision), now I have discovered easyWDW and Touring Plan, which all have different information, especially for November 11th, (yes, I know it's a holiday), and I am starting to think we picked the wrong parks for the wrong days, but all of the ADRs are booked. I keep looking to change the ADRs but nothing is working out. Getting frustrated... Any advise, assurance or insight would be greatly appreciated.
kayakstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #2724
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakstef View Post
We scheduled all of our park days around the Undercover Tourist Crowd Calculator (novice decision), now I have discovered easyWDW and Touring Plan, which all have different information, especially for November 11th, (yes, I know it's a holiday), and I am starting to think we picked the wrong parks for the wrong days, but all of the ADRs are booked. I keep looking to change the ADRs but nothing is working out. Getting frustrated... Any advise, assurance or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Give us the details and we can surely help. :-)
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #2725
MamaJessie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoZoo22 View Post
I was going to see if I could go one day without checking MDE.

I just can't stop checking!!

Brought my youngest to preschool. Going to put on some podcasts and listen to them without interruption (and to help keep my mind off the fact all the babies are in school )

MamaJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #2726
Jrabbit910
Keep Calm and get your Sparkle on!!

Quote:
What is the majority saying the best park is?

Jrabbit910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #2727
kayakstef
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tltorrez View Post
Give us the details and we can surely help. :-)
Undercover Tourist has Hollywood Studios at a 1 for crowds, easyWDW has it at a 7. We are planning on being there at rope drop, because my daughter wants to do Jedi Training, and will have a rental car for easy back and forth to CBR. I just don't want our first experience on our first day to be waiting in hour long lines. We have Mama Melrose ADR for 1 and fantasmic at 6:30. We'll do FP. My kids are kind of ride shy, so we probably won't be doing Tower of Terror or any other high/fast rides.

I have never put so much planning into one trip, we cruised for 10 years and pretty much always took a relaxing approach to vacations.
kayakstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #2728
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

Quote:
Undercover Tourist has Hollywood Studios at a 1 for crowds, easyWDW has it at a 7. We are planning on being there at rope drop, because my daughter wants to do Jedi Training, and will have a rental car for easy back and forth to CBR. I just don't want our first experience on our first day to be waiting in hour long lines. We have Mama Melrose ADR for 1 and fantasmic at 6:30. We'll do FP. My kids are kind of ride shy, so we probably won't be doing Tower of Terror or any other high/fast rides.

I have never put so much planning into one trip, we cruised for 10 years and pretty much always took a relaxing approach to vacations.
Where did you see UT calling for a 1 for HS for November 11th? I see the day overall has a 4, but I don't see where UT ranks the individual parks by numbers, just the list showing which park is recommended and which isn't. No parks seem to be recommended for that day by UT. Since HS has extra magic hours I can see why easyWDW doesn't recommend it, but at least AK has morning EMH which may relieve a bit of the rope drop crowds from HS. However, there isn't any MSEP that night and MK had EMH the night before so I would think HS would be pretty crowded (relatively speaking).
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #2729
Sheilby
Labels aren't my thing

69 days left. Once this weekend hits the time will probably start flying. Between being a soccer coach, cubmaster, popcorn kernel (don't ask), treasurer for community group, co-op teacher and home schooling mom, the rest of the time should fly by. Hopefully I won't have time to continue to obsess over the trip. MDE app is a little addictive. I'm not sure why I feel the need to know what the wait times are in September.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #2730
BwoZoo22
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I've never actually compared the different crowd estimates from the different sites, but UT matches our experience with the first week in October last year better than easyWDW. UT has usually been good to us, but then we don't do lots of park hopping to compare crowd levels. EP will be busy most every afternoon and evening because of the F&W; we have found Mondays to be the best day for that park, although we go everyday because the F&W is why we are there!

BwoZoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
november 2013, november vacation, trip thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: