Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
whatisgoofy?
Mouseketeer

Should we consider an October trip?

We're heading back to WDW for the first time since 2000, and bringing the kids for their first ever trip (they would be 9 and 7 during the trip). Initially, we were thinking the first week in June as soon as school lets out...but we've heard a lot of talk about October being a great time in terms of crowds, weather, and the all-important cost-factor. The kids get two days off for Columbus Day (the Thursday and Friday before), so if we go the week before, we would only have to pull them out of school for three days. My question is this...to those of you who have done it, do the benefits make it worth the ethical dilemma? Are there any downsides to this time of year? We're planning for 2013, so we have plenty of time and just wanted to get some input from people who have experienced this already. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
crackerjack21
Earning My Ears

Definitely worth it. Our first trip with our 8 year old was in October and we still think [6 trips later] that is the BEST time of year and totally worth taking them out of school. Our second trip was also in October and by then our second child was 3 and our oldest 9. I wil say the second fell around Columbus day and we did notice the crowds were heavier around the holiday than our first trip, Epcot was crowded for the food and wine festival. So plan on doing the park stuff before the holiday hits if possible. Since then we have been in January, May, Easter [March and April] and still remember October as the best time. [Oct doesn't always work out for us]. This year we are trying xmas

Make sure to do the Halloween party too.

Oh as far as the ethics of taking them out of school, that's up to you, but their teachers have been perfectly fine with it. We've done it for the past 4 years and never had an issue and many said they think it's great we spend time together, their families did it too etc etc. As one teacher said "It's Disneyworld for crying out loud!".

Last edited by crackerjack21; 08-26-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: more info
crackerjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
chiapetsrcool
Earning My Ears

Went Last October

We were there last October and had a great time. Personally, I didn't find the halloween party to be the best value. If we did it again we would not go to the park for the whole day. We would have slept in, maybe gone to downtown disney for lunch and then entered the park around 4 so we wouldn't have had to pay for a day's admission (your Halloween party ticket is your admission ticket after 4pm). If you are NOT doing the halloween party make sure to go to MK on a day where there is no party. We found the crowds at MK the day of the party (even mid-week) to be the worst of our stay.

Other than that it was great! The lines were not crazy long anywhere and the weather was pleasant.
chiapetsrcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
whatisgoofy?
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your input...we're strongly considering it. Our kids don't do very well with late nights (something about staying out too late makes their heads spin around ), so we would avoid the Halloween Party.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
VeeHam
Mouseketeer

We're going for our first October trip this year. I've heard the weather is decent and the crowds are less that middle of summer and Holidays. We have been in December (first few weeks). The weather was cold but it was a beautiful time to visit.

VeeHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
danicaca
Mouseketeer

I cannot give you any advice about October, as I have never been, but we just switched our planned October trip of next year to the last week in May, first week in June. We were ok pulling the kids out of school for a few days, and we loved the idea of the weather being cooler. However, we really wanted to go for 10 plus days, and a fall trip would mean a shorter trip. Also, a friend of ours who visits WDW frequently told us the week after Memorial Day was one of the best weeks to go. His reasoning is the local schools are still in session, so it is less crowded, summer has not really started, so the weather is not as hot, and we can go for a longer period of time - 12 days! Also, I am all for having our trip be earlier I get to go sooner! Just thought I would give another point of view, especially because we had the same conversation a month ago about when we were going to go! I really wanted to do the Halloween stuff, and I have never been there when it is decorated for any holiday, but I think we made the right decision for our family. I guess if you are not interested in the Halloween stuff, June might be better for you, but do some research, and you will find the right answer!
Danica
danicaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

We have gone before and are planning to go next month.
Oct can be hot and humid so plan accordingly. The crowds are great but the weekends can be a bit crowded because of the locals who are coming for the Food and Wine at Epcot.

So go for it.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
JerseyChristy
Earning My Ears

October is a great month to go. The weather is great, the crowds aren't bad. You also have many options with MNSSHP and the Food & Wine Festival going on. Lots of stuff to do!
JerseyChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
JMTStone
Mouseketeer

We'll be there

We'll be there on Oct 25th. I love the Mickey Halloween party. If you're planning around Columbus Day weekend, it will be pretty busy but still not as busy as Christmas week or Thanksgiving week... or some summer weeks.

I like the weather around this time. The 100 degrees with 100% humidity doesn't agree with me.

Have fun!
JMTStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Our very first trip was in October and I think we've been twice more in October over the years. It was a very pleasant time to go weather wise, but as we all know, anything can happen with the weather! The crowds used to be really low, but have increased over the last several years. Still, they are better than most other times of the year. The fall decorations are beautiful! We had parent conference days in October, so our kids only missed 2/3 days of school. No problems there. It's wonderful that you are planning a trip and I know you will make memories with your family that will be priceless! Good luck and have fun planning!
Old 09-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
Fob
Earning My Ears

October is GREAT!!!

We LOVE that time of year. The weather is usually warm enough to still enjoy the pools and water parks during the day, but not so hot that you feel you're in a sauna. The crowds are greatly reduced during the week from what you will find in the summer months as well.

I will also have to agree with the others who have posted about removing the kids from school. As long as they do not miss school habitually, most schools are more than happy to mark the absences as excused and let them make up any missed work.

It is a shame you're planning on skipping MNSSHP. It's the best time to meet most of the Disney villians and one of the few times that people don't frown upon mom and dad trick or treating.
Fob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Magnetgirl25
Earning My Ears

We've been there twice in October and Love it!!! We were there over Halloween itself and once in earlier October. Both times the weather and crowds were really great. We are actually going over Halloween this year. Can not wait. As far as the MNSSHP do not shy away from that. My kids are 9 and 4 and I can tell you that they are not night owls. They are in bed everynight by 8 and are always up by 7 the next day. They LOVE things like this. They did awesome. It is a great time!!! Was the highlight of my trip the last time. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #13
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

October is a great time to visit - we've been before & are doing it again next month. I had the same dilemma about the missing school days, but since DD pulls straight A's & knows she will have to work to make up missed time, I still think it's the best option for us. I also planned it around days they are already scheduled off for end of quarter/hurricane makeup days.

To the other poster that switched to May/June - although I'm sure it will still be early enough in the summer not to make an enormous difference, many FL school districts have changed their calendars over the last couple of years & our kids are out for the summer BEFORE Memorial Day now. (We're obviously FL residents) Plus, many groups plan trips that close to the end of the year so we've always found it to be a more difficult time to visit. Just my $.02!
Old 09-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
Gollom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiapetsrcool View Post
We were there last October and had a great time. Personally, I didn't find the halloween party to be the best value. If we did it again we would not go to the park for the whole day. We would have slept in, maybe gone to downtown disney for lunch and then entered the park around 4 so we wouldn't have had to pay for a day's admission (your Halloween party ticket is your admission ticket after 4pm). If you are NOT doing the halloween party make sure to go to MK on a day where there is no party. We found the crowds at MK the day of the party (even mid-week) to be the worst of our stay.

Other than that it was great! The lines were not crazy long anywhere and the weather was pleasant.
Can I check this? I thought we had to have a ticket for the daytime too?

Thanks
Gollom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
msp2mco
Mouseketeer

We have been there the third week in October. The crowds were less than spring break and June. Weather can be a bit iffy because it is still hurricane season. It was over 90 every day we were there, but we still had a great time.
msp2mco is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: