Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #1186
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
I just wanted to stop by and say hi to everyone.

I just got power back yesterday afternoon. My house lost a cable and power line when a LARGE tree branch came down and landed lightly on my car (no damage). Another LARGE branch from the same tree took out two sections of our fence. We had a little damage to the side of the roof but nothing else too big. The house is finally warm. It was tough to be without power for 8 days when the entire neighborhood had it back after 2 days.

I spent two days this weekend working on my parents house and my sister house. My parents had 1 foot of water in their basement and lost their frezers, hot water heater and furnace. They have already replaced the hot water heater and the furnace and had heat before we did. My sister had 3 feet of water in her main floor. It knocked over her freezer and her refrigerator. Everything in her main floor was water logged. It was sad to see. She is a single woman and has worked hard to have her own house. She was able to keep it even with being out of work for 1 1/2 years. The sad part was that she never said anything to us. She only wanted us to come up and help my parents who live 2 blocks away. When we were almost done we went over to start to help her. We ended up coming up to her house the next day and with my sister's family and another sister and her dagughter we were able to get most of her first floor cleaned out. Once she can have the insurance people in she can start to rebuild.

I never got any quilting done. It was just too cold. My hands wouldn't move and we didn't have enough light to work properly. I am home for the next 6 days so I am off to get some sewing done. I am supposed to keep off my left foot since I tripped at my sister's house. I went to the hospital yesterday to have it xrayed and it is not broken so we are calling a bad sprain. I am going to keep coming here to talk but I don't think I am going to weigh in for the challenge since I can't work out for the next week.

Off to sew! (It feels good to say that)

Hope everyone else is safe.

Have a happy and healthy day.
We are just so happy to hear from you and know that you are safe. I can't imagine how cold your house got after 8 days! I know we lost power for about 4 days in the winter once and the house got down to the 40's very quickly. We were just at the point where we were considering starting to drain the pipes when the power returned.

So sorry to hear all about your family's troubles though. Glad you were able to give some help. Stay off that foot though! Get it healed up!

Glad you can get back to some sewing. I'm sure you'll make good use of your "found" time!............P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #1187
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

Quote:
Hi everyone. Just a short note to say I am okay. We just spent the last 8 days with no heat or hot water. We just got power back in the last two hours.

I have no school until Tuesday. Dh has to go in tomorrow and was told that since the teacher's convention was canceled he has to work on Thurs and Fri.
Great to hear you are are ok..cold but ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by belledreamer View Post
Absolutely. Eating with your family is a time to talk, share what happened over the day and just spend time together.

I wouldn't say we do anything special over dinner together. We try to do it as often as possible, which is maybe 4 or 5 times a week, but I do enjoy the times we can.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel slightly guilty for coming home off a Disney high when there are some of us here just getting back electricity after Sandy, but I promise you were all in my thoughts while I was there. Especially when I was eating food that was not-so-good for me... Although I did manage to make it back without gaining any weight!

I'm happy to say that we all had a good time, although DDad has come back with a cold and had to go to work. But DM and I have managed to get everything unpacked and the luggage put away, so now we're just chilling out for a while before starting on dinner. Chicken fajitas tonight!

I've also got the 1st page of my TR report up and am working more on typing it as we speak. Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post46645976

Hope to see you guys over there!

Happy Tuesday everyone!
Logging on in just a minute for your TR and glad you had a good trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina View Post
I have been feeling off since Friday (though I got a great workout that morning!) and today finally went in (after 3 days of a very painful throat) to find that I have strep! I haven't had it since I was a teenager! Really hoping my kiddos don't catch it, and hoping the antibiotics will clean it out fast, since it's super painful at this point, even when taking painkillers.
Trying to stay on plan though, eating-wise, and still get good amounts of protein in, and not too much fat or carbs, no matter how good those salty Fritos feel to my throat...
Oh no feel better

Quote:
I just wanted to stop by and say hi to everyone.

I just got power back yesterday afternoon. My house lost a cable and power line when a LARGE tree branch came down and landed lightly on my car (no damage). Another LARGE branch from the same tree took out two sections of our fence. We had a little damage to the side of the roof but nothing else too big. The house is finally warm. It was tough to be without power for 8 days when the entire neighborhood had it back after 2 days.

I spent two days this weekend working on my parents house and my sister house. My parents had 1 foot of water in their basement and lost their frezers, hot water heater and furnace. They have already replaced the hot water heater and the furnace and had heat before we did. My sister had 3 feet of water in her main floor. It knocked over her freezer and her refrigerator. Everything in her main floor was water logged. It was sad to see. She is a single woman and has worked hard to have her own house. She was able to keep it even with being out of work for 1 1/2 years. The sad part was that she never said anything to us. She only wanted us to come up and help my parents who live 2 blocks away. When we were almost done we went over to start to help her. We ended up coming up to her house the next day and with my sister's family and another sister and her dagughter we were able to get most of her first floor cleaned out. Once she can have the insurance people in she can start to rebuild.

I never got any quilting done. It was just too cold. My hands wouldn't move and we didn't have enough light to work properly. I am home for the next 6 days so I am off to get some sewing done. I am supposed to keep off my left foot since I tripped at my sister's house. I went to the hospital yesterday to have it xrayed and it is not broken so we are calling a bad sprain. I am going to keep coming here to talk but I don't think I am going to weigh in for the challenge since I can't work out for the next week.

Off to sew! (It feels good to say that)

Hope everyone else is safe.

Have a happy and healthy day.
Oh goodness.. I am glad your back.. power's on and no too much damage to your house.. Lucky family to all pitch in and help ! I am sure everyone appreciated it.. keep off your foot and enjoy your sewing..

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

Will our ponchos hold up Holy Rain !! 8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me & Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = 8/18/2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
bigsis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #1188
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
QOTD for Wednesday November 7, 2012:

When life is TOTALLY crazy and you can't possibly fit in 30-60 minutes at the gym or even find that time for a walk, how do you/can you fit in "fitness" in your daily routine? I'd like to hear things other than the routine answers of "park at the farthest spot and walk in" or "take the stairs instead of the elevator". I'd love to hear your ORIGINAL ideas!!
I try to get in brisk walk during my lunch at work. If I can't even manage that, I'll try to do a few quick strength training things in the evening - 10 push ups, plank, and something lower body. At work, I try to get up once an hour - part of that is because my body gets uncomfortable sitting for long periods. But I make sure to get up, refill my water, walk to the farther printer, something.
I'm looking forward to other answers!
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #1189
pjlla
<><

Evening friends! Well... it has been snowing since noon at my Mom's house in MA, but nothing up here yet. That said, both of my kids' scheduled activities for tonight have been cancelled.... and since DD's NHS activity was cancelled, she would like to go to swim.... I told her we would TRY, but if it is snowing before we leave, we are NOT going. And she understands that once we are there and it starts snowing, we are leaving! It is about a 50 minute drive tonight.... a bit shorter than our Monday, Tuesday, Thursday pool, so that is good.... but still....Fingers crossed that we get there and back without significant snow/ice.

Dinner smells terrific, the green beans are roasting,and hopefully the rice will be done in time for a VERY early dinner together at 4:30! I hate eating that early, but that is what we must do in order to eat together. So I try to make sure that the kids and I don't eat an after-school snack... both to keep our appetites good and to save some calories for later tonight when we are BOUND to be hungry again!

Already got a "hint" that I may be called to school tomorrow for the same teacher that I was in for today, so I'm off to pick my clothes and get a head start on ironing! TTYL.................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #1190
belledreamer
Hello Sweetie... <3
Nothing like reaching a goal to keep you motivated!

Quote:
QOTD for Wednesday November 7, 2012:

When life is TOTALLY crazy and you can't possibly fit in 30-60 minutes at the gym or even find that time for a walk, how do you/can you fit in "fitness" in your daily routine?
I'm one of those people who loves to dance (when no one is watching.) So when no one's home (or shut in my room if they are), I love to plug in my iPod and dance, doing everything from line dancing to 'Cupid Shuffle' to waltzing to 'Beauty and the Beast'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First day back at work after Disney... Man, that first shift back seems to last forever...

I was able to bring the souvenirs I bought for 2 girls I work with to them today; two bracelets, one with the word 'Hope' and the other 'Courage' (Mine has 'Believe'.) I've got one more to give to a guy I work with tomorrow; a Stitch cell phone charm. (It's really hard to find a souvenir for a guy at Disney that isn't expensive!) I've mentioned before how much I really don't care for my job, but there are few people that I get along with really well with, so it's nice to let them know every once in a while that they're appreciated.

I had intentions of going to the gym tonight, but after all day of my sinuses dripping, I've started with a sore throat... So I've decided to instead climb into bed with a glass of honey and lemon tea and do some reading before turning in for the night.

Happy Hump Day everyone!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #1191
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by belledreamer View Post
I'm one of those people who loves to dance (when no one is watching.) So when no one's home (or shut in my room if they are), I love to plug in my iPod and dance, doing everything from line dancing to 'Cupid Shuffle' to waltzing to 'Beauty and the Beast'

I am totally guilty of this as well! I can rock out and drive really well!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First day back at work after Disney... Man, that first shift back seems to last forever...

I was able to bring the souvenirs I bought for 2 girls I work with to them today; two bracelets, one with the word 'Hope' and the other 'Courage' (Mine has 'Believe'.) I've got one more to give to a guy I work with tomorrow; a Stitch cell phone charm. (It's really hard to find a souvenir for a guy at Disney that isn't expensive!) I've mentioned before how much I really don't care for my job, but there are few people that I get along with really well with, so it's nice to let them know every once in a while that they're appreciated.

I had intentions of going to the gym tonight, but after all day of my sinuses dripping, I've started with a sore throat... So I've decided to instead climb into bed with a glass of honey and lemon tea and do some reading before turning in for the night.

Happy Hump Day everyone!
Post-travel illness.... happens all the time. Take care of yourself (the honey and tea and good sleep is PERFECT)! Nice of you to bring surprises for friends!

Morning friends!! I'm here at work with NO 2 hour delay, despite the snow. oh well.

Last night ended up a late night.... DD went to swim for 6-8 and was invited (again) to practice until 8:30 with the Senior I group, which of course delighted her. So we didn't get home until nearly 10pm... early than our Tuesday/Thursday schedule, but still late. By the time I had a snack and into jammies and wound down to sleep it was nearly 11pm. I can't keep this up and I'm not sure how DD will either. Next week starts high school swim practice, which means morning practices M-W-F.... so we will be getting home at night anywhere from 9:45-10:20pm and up again at 4:30 a.m. to leave the house for 5 a.m.! I'm already tired thinking about it!!

Last night's new crockpot recipe was a hit. Not a total home run as I thought it needed more veggies, but we ate the entire batch. I ended up adding a 1/2C of black-eyed peas to my bowl and eating less of the meat... both for economic reasons and calorie reasons. It was really good with the beans!

Off to post today's QOTD!..................P

Old 11-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #1192
pjlla
<><

QOTD for Thursday November 8, 2012:

Thanksgiving is sneaking up on us quickly! Since it is a holiday primarily dedicated to EATING (at least in most folks minds), let's talk about HEALTHY T.giving eating.

What are some things we can do to make our Thanksgiving healthier? Change up recipes to include more veggies and less junk? Lighter desserts? Less food in general??Extra exercise (like a Turkey Trot 5K)? Feel free to share any recipes or food ideas with us!

On the flipside.... what is one "TOTALLY WORTH IT" Thanksgiving treat that you are planning on indulging in??

Old 11-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #1193
tigger813
DIS Veteran

Hi all,

Sorry I've been MIA but once again illness hits my house! Ash came home from play practice Monday afternoon with chills and a high fever and fell asleep on the couch at 6. At midnight she got sick so I had to start laundry and then she got sick again at 3. Took her to the dr who said it was a virus. Still had a slight fever Tuesday which meant she needed to stay home yesterday. She did have recurring headaches and her throat hurt but she was planning on going to school this morning. Woke up with a pounding headache and sounded and felt horrible so I had to keep her home again! Got most of her school work and homework that was online done. Dayquil seems to be helping so we will be doing that every 4 hours and drinking lots of fluids today. I've got to work later so she will have to stay alone for about 2 hours. I'm picking up assignments from her teachers this afternoon when I'm out.

So no time for working out but haven't been too bad food wise. Tomorrow I will be eating lunch and dinner out so I'll have to be good today. Making chicken with french fried onions for supper tonight. Trying to make different meals.

Time to get some stuff ready for a booth I'm doing this weekend at a fair for Usborne Books. Gotta find my receipt booklet. I also want to get the living room straightened up so we can put the holiday village on the mantle tomorrow night while watching Arthur Christmas! Also gotta do our Christmas cards and make the goodie bags for Izzie's b'day party on Sunday!

Hope everyone is doing ok with the weather! We had about 2 inches of snow and now it's raining.

Donac- glad you finally got power back! Hope today's weather doesn't cause more problems!

TTFN

Next trip: Easter at Disney April 17-23 (3 nights Kidani Savanna View, 3 nights Wilderness Lodge)
tigger813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #1194
pjlla
<><

Quote:

Thanksgiving is sneaking up on us quickly! Since it is a holiday primarily dedicated to EATING (at least in most folks minds), let's talk about HEALTHY T.giving eating.

What are some things we can do to make our Thanksgiving healthier? Change up recipes to include more veggies and less junk? Lighter desserts? Less food in general?? Extra exercise (like a Turkey Trot 5K)? Feel free to share any recipes or food ideas with us!

On the flipside.... what is one "TOTALLY WORTH IT" Thanksgiving treat that you are planning on indulging in??
I do try to help our T.giving menu be healthier by volunteering to bring along healthier side dishes. Things like roasted veggies and such... stuff NOT coated in breading, fats, and cream of *** soup. That said, my nephew ALWAYS asks for the "traditional" green bean casserole, so I do make that against my better judgement. Last year I made a roasted brussel sprouts dish that was delish.... but I can't find the recipe! Plus it didn't really hold up well to traveling, so I may look around for something new this year.... something I can make ahead or maybe make in the crockpot.

I also try to always contribute at least one "lighter" dessert.... sometimes a pineapple angelfood cake. Not the pinaccle of "health" but definitely light and tasty.

My one "SO WORTH IT" T.giving treat.... my aunt's lemon meringue pie! I love lemon pie and hers is totally homemade... and worth every calorie! She also makes killer sticky buns, but I totally pass on those and save the calories for the pie!

We celebrate T.giving twice.... Thursday with DH's family (on the Cape this year) and Friday with my family in Central MA... so I have to be careful about my eating or it will end up being TWO days of overindulging (or more, as we spend the entire weekend with my parents and my brother and his family)!

We were invited to participate in a Turkey Trot that morning, but not sure if we are going to do it or not. I need to look into the time and the cost. We are already traveling 3 hours that Thursday and didn't want to do it at the crack of dawn for a 5K. But DD and I have, in the past, participated in a T.giving exercise fundraiser at our local Y. The Y itself is closed, but the gymnastics team mans the fitness room for 3 hours in the morning... it is $5 per person to come for any part of the 3 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger813 View Post
Hi all,

Sorry I've been MIA but once again illness hits my house! Ash came home from play practice Monday afternoon with chills and a high fever and fell asleep on the couch at 6. At midnight she got sick so I had to start laundry and then she got sick again at 3. Took her to the dr who said it was a virus. Still had a slight fever Tuesday which meant she needed to stay home yesterday. She did have recurring headaches and her throat hurt but she was planning on going to school this morning. Woke up with a pounding headache and sounded and felt horrible so I had to keep her home again! Got most of her school work and homework that was online done. Dayquil seems to be helping so we will be doing that every 4 hours and drinking lots of fluids today. I've got to work later so she will have to stay alone for about 2 hours. I'm picking up assignments from her teachers this afternoon when I'm out.

So no time for working out but haven't been too bad food wise. Tomorrow I will be eating lunch and dinner out so I'll have to be good today. Making chicken with french fried onions for supper tonight. Trying to make different meals.

Time to get some stuff ready for a booth I'm doing this weekend at a fair for Usborne Books. Gotta find my receipt booklet. I also want to get the living room straightened up so we can put the holiday village on the mantle tomorrow night while watching Arthur Christmas! Also gotta do our Christmas cards and make the goodie bags for Izzie's b'day party on Sunday!

Hope everyone is doing ok with the weather! We had about 2 inches of snow and now it's raining.

Donac- glad you finally got power back! Hope today's weather doesn't cause more problems!

TTFN
Prayers for healing for your house. Seems like your kids take turns getting sick lately. Hopefully the cold weather will kill the germs!

We LOVE Arthur's Christmas! Even though my kids are older and we rarely watch any of the traditional Christmas stuff, we still manage to find time to pop that in at least once every season!

Okay friends! Kids are off to Computer, so I have a few minutes here. I brought along my cross-stitch project and will probably spend a bit of time on that, since things are so quiet here.

If there is any interest in my recipe from last night for Fajita beef stew, just say the word and I will find it and post it. I originally got it on the Crockpot recipe thread over on the Budget board, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. It was a nice "different" type of beef stew and super easy.

I asked my class of 3rd graders yesterday to name their favorite fruit and their favorite vegetable.... and at least half of them named two fruits. They don't know the difference... and so many of them couldn't name a vegetable that they eat regularly. SO SAD! One kid told me his favorite vegetable was jalapeno bagels! What are we NOT teaching our children these days?? I know some school districts struggle just to teach the basics of reading and math.... but somewhere in there SOMEONE needs to teach these kids the basics of EATING! I know it should start it home, but as a nation that leads the world in OBESITY, obviously we need to start somewhere else! I just find it sad and alarming.

Enough rambling from me! Hope you all are having a good Thursday.... even if it started snowy! TTYL...............P

Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #1195
tigger813
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I do try to help our T.giving menu be healthier by volunteering to bring along healthier side dishes. Things like roasted veggies and such... stuff NOT coated in breading, fats, and cream of *** soup. That said, my nephew ALWAYS asks for the "traditional" green bean casserole, so I do make that against my better judgement. Last year I made a roasted brussel sprouts dish that was delish.... but I can't find the recipe! Plus it didn't really hold up well to traveling, so I may look around for something new this year.... something I can make ahead or maybe make in the crockpot.

I also try to always contribute at least one "lighter" dessert.... sometimes a pineapple angelfood cake. Not the pinaccle of "health" but definitely light and tasty.

My one "SO WORTH IT" T.giving treat.... my aunt's lemon meringue pie! I love lemon pie and hers is totally homemade... and worth every calorie! She also makes killer sticky buns, but I totally pass on those and save the calories for the pie!

We celebrate T.giving twice.... Thursday with DH's family (on the Cape this year) and Friday with my family in Central MA... so I have to be careful about my eating or it will end up being TWO days of overindulging (or more, as we spend the entire weekend with my parents and my brother and his family)!

We were invited to participate in a Turkey Trot that morning, but not sure if we are going to do it or not. I need to look into the time and the cost. We are already traveling 3 hours that Thursday and didn't want to do it at the crack of dawn for a 5K. But DD and I have, in the past, participated in a T.giving exercise fundraiser at our local Y. The Y itself is closed, but the gymnastics team mans the fitness room for 3 hours in the morning... it is $5 per person to come for any part of the 3 hours.

Prayers for healing for your house. Seems like your kids take turns getting sick lately. Hopefully the cold weather will kill the germs!

We LOVE Arthur's Christmas! Even though my kids are older and we rarely watch any of the traditional Christmas stuff, we still manage to find time to pop that in at least once every season!

Okay friends! Kids are off to Computer, so I have a few minutes here. I brought along my cross-stitch project and will probably spend a bit of time on that, since things are so quiet here.

If there is any interest in my recipe from last night for Fajita beef stew, just say the word and I will find it and post it. I originally got it on the Crockpot recipe thread over on the Budget board, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. It was a nice "different" type of beef stew and super easy.

I asked my class of 3rd graders yesterday to name their favorite fruit and their favorite vegetable.... and at least half of them named two fruits. They don't know the difference... and so many of them couldn't name a vegetable that they eat regularly. SO SAD! One kid told me his favorite vegetable was jalapeno bagels! What are we NOT teaching our children these days?? I know some school districts struggle just to teach the basics of reading and math.... but somewhere in there SOMEONE needs to teach these kids the basics of EATING! I know it should start it home, but as a nation that leads the world in OBESITY, obviously we need to start somewhere else! I just find it sad and alarming.

Enough rambling from me! Hope you all are having a good Thursday.... even if it started snowy! TTYL...............P
Actually it's the Arthur's Christmas that was in the theater last year. We never got to see it but it came out on DVD this week. We have a collection of CHristmas movies that we watch every year! Plus, I love all the movies on Hallmark Channel! They start up again this weekend so days I'm home I will get my fill!

Next trip: Easter at Disney April 17-23 (3 nights Kidani Savanna View, 3 nights Wilderness Lodge)
tigger813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #1196
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

What are some things we can do to make our Thanksgiving healthier?

I am running (jogging) a Turkey Trot 5k that morning with my dad and my 4 siblings! I lobbied for regular green beans instead of green bean casserole. My sister is making the rolls and she's going to do half wheat/half white. I am going to try to fill up on turkey and veggies, and limit myself to 2 rolls and only about a cup of mashed potatoes. I'm going to make sure I eat protein at breakfast so I'm not super hungry and snacky before. We are going to have a veggie tray out while we're cooking, so we'll snack on that. I am going to allow myself pecan pie, which is my favorite Thanksgiving treat! The problem I have to be careful of is that we're eating TWO Thanksgiving meals that day (lunch with one family, dinner with the other) so I have to really watch my portion sizes and not go back for seconds on anything high-calorie. And I have to watch those leftovers. It's Thanksgiving DAY, not Thanksgiving week...

My strep throat is (hopefully) healing up well, and I'm hoping to feel well enough to get some light exercise in today or tomorrow. I'm down a lb or two, and I know it's not just from being sick, because I've been keeping my calories in the right range through all this! (Not too low or high) We're supposed to finally get some cooler weather this weekend (In AZ it's still been in the high 80's many days). I am grateful that we're not dealing with the storms and weather that many of you have had, but I'm so ready for it to feel like fall!

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip)) Quick one-day DL only trip with my 9 month-old and friends - 9/11/14!!
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #1197
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

Quote:

What are some things we can do to make our Thanksgiving healthier? Change up recipes to include more veggies and less junk? Lighter desserts? Less food in general??Extra exercise (like a Turkey Trot 5K)? Feel free to share any recipes or food ideas with us!

While still calorie-laden, we do tend to make healthier versions than your average American family. No sour cream or cream of anything soups. My mom hosts, and we will be flying in the night before. She does a veggie roast of cauliflower and brussels sprouts. So I'll eat lots of that and turkey. I skip the mashed potatoes, but love my mom's stuffing and homemade cranberry sauce. For dessert, I'm sure I'll indulge in a homemade cookie or two and a slice of apple pie. We have 4 members of our extended family that are gluten-free, so there will be some of those types of options as well. I love Thanksgiving and the accompanying foods, but I won't stuff myself, and I will exercise!

Quote:

I'd love the recipe for the fajita beef stew.
The open gym sounds like a great idea! I would love something like that.
Sad about kids not knowing the types of fruits and vegetables. I explain it over and over to my little one, but she still gets confused. This morning she tried to convince me an egg was a fruit. But at 3rd grade, not to know what a vegetable is? EEK!
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #1198
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

QOTD I am usually too tired to eat. I do sit down for the dinner but there is not much on my plate.

I am also lucky that it is usually at 2 so that I don't eat lunch or dinner.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #1199
JacksLilWench
Bloody Pirates...

Quote:

Well...I don't really cook at Thanksgiving, so that makes it difficult to control what's made. But I can control what goes on my plate! The problem is, everything at Thanksgiving is totally worth it! So I have a small portion of everything and that satisfies me without making me feel sick that I've had too much, or deprived that I "can't" have it.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #1200
pjlla
<><

Evening friends! Sorry I'm not doing replies tonight.....just too much of a pain on the IPad.

Thanks for letting me coach this week. It was fun albeit quiet! But it makes me stop and think and that is good. I spend too much time lately on auto-pilot between work and housework and swim practices and lots and lots of driving.

Not much to report on tonight. Dinner was good but unexciting...but sometimes EASY is what is needed! Homemade pizza on the menu for tomorrow. I bought pizza dough at Trader Joe's tonight...first time. Hope we like it.

Eating was good this week but exercise wasn't plentiful enough. Fingers crossed for a small loss, since I had a small gain last Friday (but it was gone plus some on Sunday ).

Not yet scheduled to work tomorrow, but we shall see what the morning brings! See you in the a.m.! ..............P

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: