Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #1171
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Going off of my plan of using my Thin Commandments book for the questions. Got tired of so much copy-typing!

QOTD for Tuesday, 11/6/2012:

DO you think that having a meal together as a family at the table every day is important? Do you make an effort to do it? Do you do anything special together? Talk about the day? Share jokes?

BONUS QOTD: Are you voting today? Do you usually vote? (Please don't volunteer WHO you are voting for.... don't want to get the DIS police on our backs! ).

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #1172
JacksLilWench
Bloody Pirates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
I know you got some ideas that were good. I think in addition to sneaking some veggies in, you need to introduce him to veggies and veggie recipes that he might actually enjoy. Sometimes it is hard because people are just veggie adverse and won't even TRY things. I know that my DS can be like that.... but I just keep trying.

How about a carrot soup? My DS doesn't like carrots, cooked or raw, but loves curried carrot soup (recipe is on the BL recipe thread, but not under my name). I'm also thinking of looking for a carrot ginger soup recipe. And my Tuna Cheddar Chowder is yummy....like a tuna melt in a bowl... but it has carrots in it as well.

How about some stews that might involve veggies? Again, my recipe for curried chicken has carrots, celery, onions,and apples... and my carrot hating kids love it! And my Sweet Autumn chicken recipe is oven roasted with root veggies.... great for this time of year.

WOW! I sound like a commercial for my own cookbook! Sorry about that... I'm just thinking of what I know.

Try prepping veggies in new ways.... roasting and grilling tends to bring out the sweetness in many veggies. Is there a veggie or two that he DOES tolerate or like? If so, try mixing it with other things.... if he likes green beans, try roasting them with red onion and mushrooms.... they are a good combo. If he likes broccoli, try mixing it 50/50 with cauliflower. Roasted with some spices is good. Or steam it and throw some light cheese sauce on top.... who can resist cheese sauce??

How about starting with sweeter, starchier veggies, like sweet potato and butternut squash? YUM!

Good luck!
Yumm, these recipes sounds great too!! You guys have been incredible helping me out. I think I made progress last night! We went grocery shopping together, and I was able to get butternut squash, broccoli stir fry mix, cucumbers, potatoes, and TOFU!! That will be the big one, if I can get him to eat it. Fortunately he's being a very good sport about all this so I can't complain a lot

When does your cookbook come out?!

Quote:

DO you think that having a meal together as a family at the table every day is important? Do you make an effort to do it? Do you do anything special together? Talk about the day? Share jokes?

BONUS QOTD: Are you voting today? Do you usually vote? (Please don't volunteer WHO you are voting for.... don't want to get the DIS police on our backs! ).
I like having a meal with what I call my "framily". My family is rarely all home at the same time to eat together, but I'm fortunate enough to be able to do that with my friends about once a week. We usually get together and have a potluck style meal and play Apples to Apples
Register to remove

Old 11-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #1173
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

Quote:
Going off of my plan of using my Thin Commandments book for the questions. Got tired of so much copy-typing!

Well we dont' sit at the table often - mostly in front of the tube but we all converse while the news is on.. if we do sit at the table it's mainly Sat Am for a big breakfast or Sun afternoon for our main meal..

Yes voting today..

so there was a fire drill at 8am this morning at work.. BRRRRR it was like 23-25 out... Holy chillliness!!!

I still am not doing great but I can say I'm maintaining.. .. I know it's all in my head but I am having such a hard time getting it out.. I am just mad at myself mostly.. I have made some improvements - small side salad and small baked potato w/ zesty cheese and broc for lunch.. oatmeal and a bit of brown sugar for bfast with 2 fruits in my lunch both today and yesterday.. for dinner last night I had a salad plate with once scoop of sheppard's pie and some cut up cold veggies.. then 1 serviing of "scoops" chips because i was craving salt. well time to get back to work..

Hope everyone has a fab day.. and sending along prayers to those still in need due to sandy!

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me and the Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = Aug 18, 2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
bigsis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #1174
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #1175
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Hi everyone. Just a short note to say I am okay. We just spent the last 8 days with no heat or hot water. We just got power back in the last two hours.

I have no school until Tuesday. Dh has to go in tomorrow and was told that since the teacher's convention was canceled he has to work on Thurs and Fri.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #1176
belledreamer
Hello Sweetie... <3
Nothing like reaching a goal to keep you motivated!

Quote:
Absolutely. Eating with your family is a time to talk, share what happened over the day and just spend time together.

I wouldn't say we do anything special over dinner together. We try to do it as often as possible, which is maybe 4 or 5 times a week, but I do enjoy the times we can.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel slightly guilty for coming home off a Disney high when there are some of us here just getting back electricity after Sandy, but I promise you were all in my thoughts while I was there. Especially when I was eating food that was not-so-good for me... Although I did manage to make it back without gaining any weight!

I'm happy to say that we all had a good time, although DDad has come back with a cold and had to go to work. But DM and I have managed to get everything unpacked and the luggage put away, so now we're just chilling out for a while before starting on dinner. Chicken fajitas tonight!

I've also got the 1st page of my TR report up and am working more on typing it as we speak. Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post46645976

Hope to see you guys over there!

Happy Tuesday everyone!
belledreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #1177
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksLilWench View Post
You. Are. Awesome!! These are incredible, thank you so much!! These will help a lot, I can't wait to make them...especially the camp potatoes and oven fries I may have to find a good homemade chili recipe to put some pumpkin in. Thanks again, these are wonderful!
Aww, thanks. And you're welcome.

Quote:
I know you got some ideas that were good. I think in addition to sneaking some veggies in, you need to introduce him to veggies and veggie recipes that he might actually enjoy. Sometimes it is hard because people are just veggie adverse and won't even TRY things. I know that my DS can be like that.... but I just keep trying.

How about a carrot soup? My DS doesn't like carrots, cooked or raw, but loves curried carrot soup (recipe is on the BL recipe thread, but not under my name). I'm also thinking of looking for a carrot ginger soup recipe. And my Tuna Cheddar Chowder is yummy....like a tuna melt in a bowl... but it has carrots in it as well.

How about some stews that might involve veggies? Again, my recipe for curried chicken has carrots, celery, onions,and apples... and my carrot hating kids love it! And my Sweet Autumn chicken recipe is oven roasted with root veggies.... great for this time of year.

WOW! I sound like a commercial for my own cookbook! Sorry about that... I'm just thinking of what I know.

Try prepping veggies in new ways.... roasting and grilling tends to bring out the sweetness in many veggies. Is there a veggie or two that he DOES tolerate or like? If so, try mixing it with other things.... if he likes green beans, try roasting them with red onion and mushrooms.... they are a good combo. If he likes broccoli, try mixing it 50/50 with cauliflower. Roasted with some spices is good. Or steam it and throw some light cheese sauce on top.... who can resist cheese sauce??

How about starting with sweeter, starchier veggies, like sweet potato and butternut squash? YUM!

Good luck!
Good tips! I have a carrot ginger soup recipe - haven't gotten around to posting it yet. I will have to try some of those recipes you mentioned - they sound fabulous!!

Quote:
I am with you on those last few pounds! They seem to cling like they are stuck on with Superglue! I was SO DESPERATE last year to finally say good-bye to those last few pounds and finally hit my ultimate goal. I changed up my diet and exercise and it started to happen. Well... I was just ONE POUND away when I left for a Disney trip... where I of course gained a few pounds.... and haven't gotten to that number again since! I finally realized that my body was not MEANT to weigh 128 pounds and that even if I HIT the "magic number" that it was going to be nearly impossible to STAY there. So I made the decision that I needed to give up that goal. I am still healthy and looking pretty good in the low 130's.

Maybe it is time to take another look at your goal number?? If it is this hard to achieve, will you be able to maintain it? Or will it just be a frustration?

I'm not saying don't try for it.... but maybe a little more thinking and reflecting on it is in order.
I've been there. There was a good article I read two years ago when I was deciding what my goal weight would be. It talked about the weight you could maintain through holiday parties, PMS, Halloween candy, etc. A weight you could maintain without weighing every food for the rest of your life (as the article mentioned, "life is too short to weigh broccoli!"). Now for me, I know I may gain a pound or two at my TOM and maybe 3 pounds on a tasty vacation or during the holidays. But if I'm eating relatively well and exercising a moderate amount, I can stay at my goal weight the vast majority of the year. Take into account the number of hours you are required to be sedentary for work, if you have kids, how much time you can long-term commit to exercising each day/week.

Quote:

I voted first thing this morning with DD in tow. She was very curious about voting and picked out a book about the president at the library the other day.
I feel like it's important to have a family meal, but more for the sense of sharing the same/similar food, rather than the quality family time. To be honest, chatting at dinner is kind of drudgery for all three of us. After a long day at school and work, the introverts don't feel like talking! I usually try to force conversation, and sometimes we do the little table topics questions, but still the chatting doesn't last long. For me, the more important part of a family meal is that we eat better when we do it. We make sure it's balanced, includes 1-2 veggies, etc. DD is a slow eater, so once DH or I finished eating we will read her some of an easy chapter book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
LOVE IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
Hi everyone. Just a short note to say I am okay. We just spent the last 8 days with no heat or hot water. We just got power back in the last two hours.

I have no school until Tuesday. Dh has to go in tomorrow and was told that since the teacher's convention was canceled he has to work on Thurs and Fri.
Glad to hear you are okay! Such a long time without power - it's astounding. My parents in NJ still have no power, cable, internet, or cell service. At least they have a generator.

I had a very OP day yesterday. Limited my calories, tried only to eat healthy foods. I needed to refocus since I've been above my maintainer range for 2 weeks. Last week I joined a hot yoga studio near my house. I hate the winter, so I think it might be good for my summer-loving self. My hips also get really stiff in the cold weather (I'm only in my 30s but I get why lots of seniors move south when they retire!) so this should be helpful - both the warmth and the stretching.
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #1178
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla

I do think a family dinner is important. We sit in our dining room with no tv, and discuss our days. However, even with only 9 & 6 year olds, it's getting harder. Sometimes DH & the boys eat while I'm at the gym & sometimes we split dinner if one or the other have activities.

I did vote early this morning. I vote in every election. Our polls are open 7 am-8 pm. I left my house at 7:40 with my kids. I drove a few blocks to the library, voted (I was the only one there), and got back in my car. It was 7:49!!! I am hearing about these hours long lines (someone I know waited 4 hours in SC) and it took me less than 10 minutes. Crazy! Then I had to wait to take the kids to school since it didn't take any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac

It's so good to hear from you. I'm glad your safe & sound. I'm also glad you finally got power returned. Keep in touch when you can.

Good evening all. I am having such an off eating week. I'm not beating myself up, I'm still working out, but I'm not focused right now. Tomorrow is another day, so I will be tracking my food starting then. I am hoping to finish this challenge strong.

I am finishing up stuff with the family right now, then I'm off to do laundry. Yay! Do you sense my sarcasm?!?! DS9 needs more uniform pants so I don't need to wash halfway through the week. OR, he can come home with clean clothes. Ummmm...I dream big He always gets something on his pants. It's usually streaks of pencil.

Im going to run for now, but I shall return

Jill
Old 11-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #1179
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belledreamer

Absolutely. Eating with your family is a time to talk, share what happened over the day and just spend time together.

I wouldn't say we do anything special over dinner together. We try to do it as often as possible, which is maybe 4 or 5 times a week, but I do enjoy the times we can.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel slightly guilty for coming home off a Disney high when there are some of us here just getting back electricity after Sandy, but I promise you were all in my thoughts while I was there. Especially when I was eating food that was not-so-good for me... Although I did manage to make it back without gaining any weight!

I'm happy to say that we all had a good time, although DDad has come back with a cold and had to go to work. But DM and I have managed to get everything unpacked and the luggage put away, so now we're just chilling out for a while before starting on dinner. Chicken fajitas tonight!

I've also got the 1st page of my TR report up and am working more on typing it as we speak. Here's the link to the thread:

Happy Tuesday everyone!
I'm glad you had a good time at wdw. I am totally going to read your TR. Actually, I already read what you wrote today, but I plan to keep reading along. I love living through other lol. Post lots of pics

Jill
Old 11-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #1180
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

I have been feeling off since Friday (though I got a great workout that morning!) and today finally went in (after 3 days of a very painful throat) to find that I have strep! I haven't had it since I was a teenager! Really hoping my kiddos don't catch it, and hoping the antibiotics will clean it out fast, since it's super painful at this point, even when taking painkillers.
Trying to stay on plan though, eating-wise, and still get good amounts of protein in, and not too much fat or carbs, no matter how good those salty Fritos feel to my throat...

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip))
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #1181
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Dona--so glad you are doing okay. 8 days without heat or hot water sounds very unfun. I hope you can relax and regroup between now and Tuesday.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #1182
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksLilWench View Post
Yumm, these recipes sounds great too!! You guys have been incredible helping me out. I think I made progress last night! We went grocery shopping together, and I was able to get butternut squash, broccoli stir fry mix, cucumbers, potatoes, and TOFU!! That will be the big one, if I can get him to eat it. Fortunately he's being a very good sport about all this so I can't complain a lot

If you can get him to try those things you bought, you are doing great!

When does your cookbook come out?!

Actually I've been working on one for my Mom for many months now. It was going to be a Mother's Day gift last May, but didn't make it... and it probably won't make it to be a Christmas gift either. oh well.

I like having a meal with what I call my "framily". My family is rarely all home at the same time to eat together, but I'm fortunate enough to be able to do that with my friends about once a week. We usually get together and have a potluck style meal and play Apples to Apples
Sounds like fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsis1970 View Post
so there was a fire drill at 8am this morning at work.. BRRRRR it was like 23-25 out... Holy chillliness!!!

YIKES! Fingers crossed we don't get one here today!!

I still am not doing great but I can say I'm maintaining.. .. I know it's all in my head but I am having such a hard time getting it out.. I am just mad at myself mostly.. I have made some improvements - small side salad and small baked potato w/ zesty cheese and broc for lunch.. oatmeal and a bit of brown sugar for bfast with 2 fruits in my lunch both today and yesterday.. for dinner last night I had a salad plate with once scoop of sheppard's pie and some cut up cold veggies.. then 1 serviing of "scoops" chips because i was craving salt. well time to get back to work..

Hope everyone has a fab day.. and sending along prayers to those still in need due to sandy!
Glad you are working on getting back on track. Maintaining is still a victory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Thanks for this!

Quote:

Thank heavens! We were very worried about you! Sorry for all you are dealing with... but I am just glad you are okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belledreamer View Post

Glad someone young appreciates how important family meal time is. I'm not sure that my kids always "get it", but they know it is important to ME, so they help make it happen. Yesterday's meal together was spent discussing the Operation Santa boxes we will be filling this week. I try to steer the conversation AWAY from school, or it can get tense between DS and DH.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy Tuesday everyone!
Can't wait to read the trip report. Don't feel guilty about having fun. You sitting around moping wouldn't have helped anyone. Every day in this world there are tragedies... most out of our control. I say enjoy your life when/where you can and help when/where you can.... it all balances out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbride6205 View Post
Good tips! I have a carrot ginger soup recipe - haven't gotten around to posting it yet. I will have to try some of those recipes you mentioned - they sound fabulous!!

I'd love the recipe if you get a chance!

I've been there. There was a good article I read two years ago when I was deciding what my goal weight would be. It talked about the weight you could maintain through holiday parties, PMS, Halloween candy, etc. A weight you could maintain without weighing every food for the rest of your life (as the article mentioned, "life is too short to weigh broccoli!"). Now for me, I know I may gain a pound or two at my TOM and maybe 3 pounds on a tasty vacation or during the holidays. But if I'm eating relatively well and exercising a moderate amount, I can stay at my goal weight the vast majority of the year. Take into account the number of hours you are required to be sedentary for work, if you have kids, how much time you can long-term commit to exercising each day/week.

You've got a system that works for you!! THat is the KEY!

I voted first thing this morning with DD in tow. She was very curious about voting and picked out a book about the president at the library the other day.

Setting a GREAT example!

I feel like it's important to have a family meal, but more for the sense of sharing the same/similar food, rather than the quality family time. To be honest, chatting at dinner is kind of drudgery for all three of us. After a long day at school and work, the introverts don't feel like talking! I usually try to force conversation, and sometimes we do the little table topics questions, but still the chatting doesn't last long. For me, the more important part of a family meal is that we eat better when we do it. We make sure it's balanced, includes 1-2 veggies, etc. DD is a slow eater, so once DH or I finished eating we will read her some of an easy chapter book.

I think that BEING TOGETHER is the most important part of it but also setting an example to our kids of HEALTHY eating (both the foods AND the fact of sitting at a table instead of eating on the run). I love the chapter book idea! I've been leaning toward a Bible verse at every meal.... pick one at random and then discussing it. Not sure that DS would go for this!

I had a very OP day yesterday. Limited my calories, tried only to eat healthy foods. I needed to refocus since I've been above my maintainer range for 2 weeks. Last week I joined a hot yoga studio near my house. I hate the winter, so I think it might be good for my summer-loving self. My hips also get really stiff in the cold weather (I'm only in my 30s but I get why lots of seniors move south when they retire!) so this should be helpful - both the warmth and the stretching.

Let me know how you like the hot yoga. I have a friend who has tried to talk me into it many times.... but I've resisted so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
I do think a family dinner is important. We sit in our dining room with no tv, and discuss our days. However, even with only 9 & 6 year olds, it's getting harder. Sometimes DH & the boys eat while I'm at the gym & sometimes we split dinner if one or the other have activities.

I try to eat together at least ONE meal every day.... not necessarily dinner. But some days it is near impossible. I figure if I try for every day and it only happens 3 times in a week, then so be it. Keep trying... it will be MORE important as they get older!

I did vote early this morning. I vote in every election. Our polls are open 7 am-8 pm. I left my house at 7:40 with my kids. I drove a few blocks to the library, voted (I was the only one there), and got back in my car. It was 7:49!!! I am hearing about these hours long lines (someone I know waited 4 hours in SC) and it took me less than 10 minutes. Crazy! Then I had to wait to take the kids to school since it didn't take any time.

I was in and out in 7 minutes myself!

Good evening all. I am having such an off eating week. I'm not beating myself up, I'm still working out, but I'm not focused right now. Tomorrow is another day, so I will be tracking my food starting then. I am hoping to finish this challenge strong.

I am finishing up stuff with the family right now, then I'm off to do laundry. Yay! Do you sense my sarcasm?!?! DS9 needs more uniform pants so I don't need to wash halfway through the week. OR, he can come home with clean clothes. Ummmm...I dream big He always gets something on his pants. It's usually streaks of pencil.

Im going to run for now, but I shall return

Jill
Laundry never stops for ANYTHING.

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaina View Post
I have been feeling off since Friday (though I got a great workout that morning!) and today finally went in (after 3 days of a very painful throat) to find that I have strep! I haven't had it since I was a teenager! Really hoping my kiddos don't catch it, and hoping the antibiotics will clean it out fast, since it's super painful at this point, even when taking painkillers.
Trying to stay on plan though, eating-wise, and still get good amounts of protein in, and not too much fat or carbs, no matter how good those salty Fritos feel to my throat...
Hope you heal quickly! Antibiotics should have you feeling better within 12 hours.

Morning all! I've got 7 minutes left to say hello and post today's QOTD! I'm at work today and will hopefully get a few minutes on the computer when the kids go to Special. TTYL.........P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #1183
pjlla
<><

QOTD for Wednesday November 7, 2012:

When life is TOTALLY crazy and you can't possibly fit in 30-60 minutes at the gym or even find that time for a walk, how do you/can you fit in "fitness" in your daily routine? I'd like to hear things other than the routine answers of "park at the farthest spot and walk in" or "take the stairs instead of the elevator". I'd love to hear your ORIGINAL ideas!!

If you haven't come up with anything, think about things you do in your daily life that could be considered EXERCISE! For example...I consider hanging clothes on the clothesline outside exercise. It requires me to carry a heavy basket outside, and then bend over repeatedly to pick up a piece of clothing and a pin and then pin it to the line and then repeat! Then I have to take it all in and carry a heavy basket inside again! Certainly more work involved than simply shoveling it from the washer to the dryer!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #1184
pjlla
<><

Quote:

DO you think that having a meal together as a family at the table every day is important? Do you make an effort to do it? Do you do anything special together? Talk about the day? Share jokes? !

I make a big effort for us to have at least ONE meal together every day.... even if it is just breakfast. As I have mentioned, I try to steer the conversation away from topics that could be stress-inducing (like school grades ) and try to keep it light. I like to hear about the kids' day and such. Or I try to bring up something to talk about like an upcoming holiday or something nice we could do for someone. I think it is important to show the kids that coming together for family time is special to me.... and I think it is important to DEMONSTRATE healthy eating. Our meals very nearly always consist of 1-2 veggies (or sometimes more) and a serving of fruit. I want my kids to be in the habit of always thinking of including fruit and veggies in their meals.

Plus I like to set the example of sitting together somewhere AWAY from TV or a movie so that we are forced to have conversation! That isn't a big deal for DD and myself, but it is important between DS and myself and even for DH and I.... we can go an entire day barely discussing more than the schedule!

I can be QUITE guilty of voter apathy, but again, in my effort to set a good example for my kids, I did get out and vote. I certainly appreciated that I didn't have the lines that I've heard other speak of... I'm sure I would have given up after about 15 minutes! I am guilty of not voting on a pretty regular basis.

Quote:
QOTD for Wednesday November 7, 2012:

When life is TOTALLY crazy and you can't possibly fit in 30-60 minutes at the gym or even find that time for a walk, how do you/can you fit in "fitness" in your daily routine? I'd like to hear things other than the routine answers of "park at the farthest spot and walk in" or "take the stairs instead of the elevator". I'd love to hear your ORIGINAL ideas!!

If you haven't come up with anything, think about things you do in your daily life that could be considered EXERCISE! For example...I consider hanging clothes on the clothesline outside exercise. It requires me to carry a heavy basket outside, and then bend over repeatedly to pick up a piece of clothing and a pin and then pin it to the line and then repeat! Then I have to take it all in and carry a heavy basket inside again! Certainly more work involved than simply shoveling it from the washer to the dryer!
I try to fit activity (not always calling it exercise) into my day every day. I will sometimes eat lunch at my scrapbook table when I am home alone... and I will bring up one part of it at a time to force myself to climb the stairs repeatedly. First I'll bring up my salad and drink.... then bring down those dishes and bring up my main course.... then bring down that dish and bring up my fruit... you get the idea. I figure if I can climb the stairs 3 times just for lunch, I'm doing okay! Plus is slows down my eating. I can be guilty of bolting down my food because I seem to be always in a hurry!

While here on recess duty I will often do kickbacks and high knees... especially during cold weather. It helps keep me warm and makes the time go by quickly.... and it isn't anything I need to concentrate on so I can still put my attention where it belongs, on the kids.

I will make an effort to stop and do squats or something like that if I stop for a minute during the day to watch television. If I am waiting for something in the kitchen (like a burner to heat up) I will do calf raises, etc.

Okay.... kids are off to Art and I have a few minutes to have my fruit from breakfast and check in here!

Got a new recipe in the crockpot this morning. I was short one red bell pepper, but decided to go ahead with it anyhow. I'm sure it would be BETTER with the additional pepper, but hopefully it is okay as is. It is a fajita beef stew recipe I got on the crockpot recipe thread over on the budget board. I'm going to cook up a pot of brown rice when I get home and roast some green beans to go with it, since the stew itself doesn't have many veggies. I may try adding some other veggies next time I make it.... not sure yet what. Wanted to try it "as is" the first time. I'll let you all know what we think of it!

I was so glad to pop on this morning and see so many faces! Things have been waaaay too quiet here! And of course, thrilled to hear from DONA! Our lost little sheep has returned! Fingers crossed that EVERYONE is recovering from the hurricane and that my East Coast friends are ready for tonight's storm. I am in the 2-4" of snow belt.... but right on the edge of the dusting-2" belt.... but I live at an elevation, so I am assuming I will get AT LEAST 2". Kids are already getting excited about the possibility of a snow day tomorrow. If so, that will mean that we will have already used up our three snow days that are built into the school calendar.... and it isn't even T.giving yet!

Speaking of T.giving.... start thinking about healthy T.giving foods, as tomorrow's QOTD is leaning that way!..................P

Old 11-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #1185
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

I just wanted to stop by and say hi to everyone.

I just got power back yesterday afternoon. My house lost a cable and power line when a LARGE tree branch came down and landed lightly on my car (no damage). Another LARGE branch from the same tree took out two sections of our fence. We had a little damage to the side of the roof but nothing else too big. The house is finally warm. It was tough to be without power for 8 days when the entire neighborhood had it back after 2 days.

I spent two days this weekend working on my parents house and my sister house. My parents had 1 foot of water in their basement and lost their frezers, hot water heater and furnace. They have already replaced the hot water heater and the furnace and had heat before we did. My sister had 3 feet of water in her main floor. It knocked over her freezer and her refrigerator. Everything in her main floor was water logged. It was sad to see. She is a single woman and has worked hard to have her own house. She was able to keep it even with being out of work for 1 1/2 years. The sad part was that she never said anything to us. She only wanted us to come up and help my parents who live 2 blocks away. When we were almost done we went over to start to help her. We ended up coming up to her house the next day and with my sister's family and another sister and her dagughter we were able to get most of her first floor cleaned out. Once she can have the insurance people in she can start to rebuild.

I never got any quilting done. It was just too cold. My hands wouldn't move and we didn't have enough light to work properly. I am home for the next 6 days so I am off to get some sewing done. I am supposed to keep off my left foot since I tripped at my sister's house. I went to the hospital yesterday to have it xrayed and it is not broken so we are calling a bad sprain. I am going to keep coming here to talk but I don't think I am going to weigh in for the challenge since I can't work out for the next week.

Off to sew! (It feels good to say that)

Hope everyone else is safe.

Have a happy and healthy day.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: