Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #91
dvccruiser76
DIS Veteran

Summer results are up!

Hi everyone

I tried posting the final results from the summer challenge here as well, but the DIS won't seem to let me. Usually it does, but tonight it's not budging, so please jump over and see how you all did.

Everyone should be proud. Even if you didn't reach your goal or ended up higher than where you started, it's better than it may have been if you didn't check in at all during the summer

I've got a lot of catching up to do here, so I'll be back later

Thak you for letting me track your weights this past year. It was great getting to know everyone a little bit better.

Sue,

DVC Member Since Dec 2000
Walt Disney World, Disneyland & Disneyland Paris

Disney Dream - May 2011 (Bahamas), NCL Pearl - Aug 07 (Alaska), Disney Wonder - Dec 04 (Bahamas), Disney Wonder - May 04 (Bahamas), Disney Magic - Mar 03 (Western Caribbean), NCL Majesty - Aug 02 (Bermuda), Disney Magic - Apr 02 (Eastern Caribbean), RCCL Nordic Empress - May 97 (Eastern Caribbean)
dvccruiser76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #92
::Snow_White::
Harry Potter =
They're not as unpredictable as house elves like Dobby!

I'm here, I'm here!

My summer attempt wasn't so great. I'm down to losing my last 10-15lbs and it's driving me insane!

Anyway, hope you are all doing fabulous and I'm excited to talk to some old friends and meet some new ones! I signed up for my 2nd half marathon in October and another 5k coming up at the beginning of October as well. It'll be interesting to say the least!

First Disneyland Trip: November 2014!
'99--ASMo // '02--ASMo // '07--Pop // '10--POFQ & Pop
'12--CBR // '12--AOA & Pop // '13--POR & CSR // '13 AOA, POP, & BC
Fall 2013 Merchandise Disney College Program Cast Member!
::Snow_White:: is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #93
tea pot
DIS Veteran

Hi All
I 'd love to come back and so glad I didn't miss the start date.
I was here a year or so ago then I let Life get in the way.
Need to get get serious again
I can and have made good progress in the past
but my MO is a great start that is usually short lived,
followed by the "so you failed again" mantra and regained weight.
So sick of it
HELP!

A dream is a wish your heart makes when you're fast asleep
tea pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #94
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea pot View Post
Hi All
I 'd love to come back and so glad I didn't miss the start date.
I was here a year or so ago then I let Life get in the way.
Need to get get serious again
I can and have made good progress in the past
but my MO is a great start that is usually short lived,
followed by the "so you failed again" mantra and regained weight.
So sick of it
HELP!
You've come to the right place! Glad you'vw returned. Start doing some thinking about why you can start strong but fizzle out quickly. What ever that reason is, we can definitely help you overcome it and move beyond it this time. The first thing I will tell you is that you MUST stop thinking in terms of "diet" and start thinking in terms of "lifestyle change". There is NO getting around this. If you are serious about taking weight off and (more importantly) keeping to off, you must be willing to start making permanent changes.it isn't as hard as it sounds though.. Baby steps!

Morning all! Another rainy humid morning here. We need the rain though and I need an excuse to take a break from my outside projects! Going to try to get some work done on DD's swim scrapbook after my housework this morning!

Got a new oatmeal recipe in the crockpot... Can't wait to try it! TTYL.......P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #95
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

P - thanks for the recipe.. I really interested to hear about the pumpkin pie one!

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

Will our ponchos hold up Holy Rain !! 8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me & Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = 8/18/2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
bigsis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #96
myweegirls
Caught the Disney Bug from my husband and am now hooked in my own right!

Hi everyone! I'm Liz, and this is my third BL Challenge. My first one was in the spring, and it got me off my butt and into action - and I finally got rid of the last 20 nagging pounds I'd been carrying around for years. I maintained in the summer challenge and am looking to do the same this fall!

I'm 40 (!), married to Eric (DEA on the boards), and we have two DDs - Anna is almost 8, and Tessa is 5 1/2. I work for a university and also have a side job managing manuscript flow for an academic econ journal. We're active in our Unitarian Universalist church, and I love to perform (singing) and read - in all my spare time!

I was always overweight enough to be uncomfortable in high school and college. Not obese, but unhealthy for sure. After several false starts, I got to goal weight with WW and made lifetime in 2002. DH and I got married in 2003, and Anna was born in 2004. I gained 80 pounds with that pregnancy and 60 with Tessa, losing most of the weight in between. After I had Tessa, I got about half the weight off but found it so hard to motivate and lose the last 20-30. Back to WW, and I got 10 off pretty quickly. The last 20 were so stubborn! When the spring challenge rolled around this year, I used it as a kick in the pants, along with WW, to get moving and finally get rid of the weight. And I DID. I worked really hard - counting points, changing up my activity, sticking with it when I used to quit, and it felt so good to get back to goal!

The biggest change I made this year was to my exercise. I started doing interval training (thank you, Jillian Michaels!). And NEVER having been anything remotely resembling a runner, I started a C25K program (I used the active.com app). I broke a toe in April and had to stop running for two months. But by then I was hooked - I finished the C25K and haven't looked back! I ran my first 10K in August, and DH and I are both registered for the ToT 10-Miler (3 weeks from Saturday!) and the WDW Half in January.

Even though I know I'm ultimately the one responsible for my food and exercise choices, I firmly believe that this group gave me the boost I needed to finally make my weight loss happen this year. I don't ever want to go back, and so I choose to keep hanging with you lovely people. You're all inspirations to me! Looking forward to a great fall!

XO
Liz

ABD ~ 2013 (Backstage Magic) * AKL ~ 2010 * AKV ~ 2012, 2013, 2014 * Aulani ~ 2014 * BLT ~ 2011 * BC ~ 2010, 2014 * BWI ~ 2010, 2012 * BWV ~ 2011 * DCL ~ 2012 (Dream/PC 3.0 & Fantasy/PC 4.0), 2013 (Dream), 2014 (Dream), 2015 (Wonder) * DL Offsite ~ 2013 * GC ~ 2011, 2014 * GF ~ 2011 * Poly ~ 2009, 2010 * POFQ ~ 2010 * Royal Caribbean ~ 2013 (Oasis/DIS Cruise 1.0) * WL ~ 2013

myweegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #97
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsis1970 View Post
P - thanks for the recipe.. I really interested to hear about the pumpkin pie one!
You're welcome.

The pumpkin was good! But there is just a little something about it that I didn't love. DD loved it. I will post the recipe, but next time I make it I do need to change something... not sure what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myweegirls View Post
Hi everyone! I'm Liz, and this is my third BL Challenge. My first one was in the spring, and it got me off my butt and into action - and I finally got rid of the last 20 nagging pounds I'd been carrying around for years. I maintained in the summer challenge and am looking to do the same this fall!

I'm 40 (!), married to Eric (DEA on the boards), and we have two DDs - Anna is almost 8, and Tessa is 5 1/2. I work for a university and also have a side job managing manuscript flow for an academic econ journal. We're active in our Unitarian Universalist church, and I love to perform (singing) and read - in all my spare time!

I was always overweight enough to be uncomfortable in high school and college. Not obese, but unhealthy for sure. After several false starts, I got to goal weight with WW and made lifetime in 2002. DH and I got married in 2003, and Anna was born in 2004. I gained 80 pounds with that pregnancy and 60 with Tessa, losing most of the weight in between. After I had Tessa, I got about half the weight off but found it so hard to motivate and lose the last 20-30. Back to WW, and I got 10 off pretty quickly. The last 20 were so stubborn! When the spring challenge rolled around this year, I used it as a kick in the pants, along with WW, to get moving and finally get rid of the weight. And I DID. I worked really hard - counting points, changing up my activity, sticking with it when I used to quit, and it felt so good to get back to goal!

The biggest change I made this year was to my exercise. I started doing interval training (thank you, Jillian Michaels!). And NEVER having been anything remotely resembling a runner, I started a C25K program (I used the active.com app). I broke a toe in April and had to stop running for two months. But by then I was hooked - I finished the C25K and haven't looked back! I ran my first 10K in August, and DH and I are both registered for the ToT 10-Miler (3 weeks from Saturday!) and the WDW Half in January.

Even though I know I'm ultimately the one responsible for my food and exercise choices, I firmly believe that this group gave me the boost I needed to finally make my weight loss happen this year. I don't ever want to go back, and so I choose to keep hanging with you lovely people. You're all inspirations to me! Looking forward to a great fall!

XO
Liz
Glad to see you back with us!

Okay.... breakfast was good. I made the pumpkin pie oatmeal. There was just a little something about it that I didn't love. Not sure what it was. I will post the recipe though.

Dishwasher and dish drainers are empty, sink is scrubbed, dinner is in the crockpot, kids are off to school and breakfast is eaten. Next up I need to throw in a load of laundry (even though it is rainy and I can't hang anything out, I probably need to do at least one load of whites). DH is up, so I can go make the beds now.

I SHOULD pull down a few boxes from the attic (since it is a cool-ish day) and go through them. I was looking for some fabric up there the other day and it has gotten TOTALLY out of hand! I think that will be my "house" goal for the day (I try to do one thing for the house, one chore, and then one "extra" every day that I don't work). I can watch some junky television while I sort through the boxes.

Up next.... the recipe!..............P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #98
pjlla
<><

Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats in the Crockpot

Serves 6-8

2C steel cut oats
1 15oz can of pumpkin(or about 1 3/4C)
1 400 mL or 14 oz can full fat coconut milk plus enough water to make 7C(about 5 1/4C water)
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp + 1 tsp*pumpkin pie spice
1/2C honey or maple syrup(or leave unsweetened and add after it’s been cooked)
Put all ingredients in your crockpot.* Mix well and set to cook for 5-6 hours on low.* Serve hot with milk or a dollop of greek yogurt, extra honey or maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Okay.... as usual, here is the recipe as I found it. And here are the things I did different.....

First of all.... this is a HUGE batch of oatmeal, so I quartered it for my purposes. Second of all... I don't have coconut milk in the house (plus full fat?? not sure if I want that), so I used half unsweetened vanilla almond milk and half water (1 C of each). Third.... I didn't have legit "pumpkin pie spice" so I used cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and a bit of ginger. And finally, I DID leave it unsweetened.

I put the oatmeal in the crockpot and then blended the pumpkin, milk, water, and spices and dumped them on top and gave it all a stir. Covered, set my timer to cook it for about 6 hours and off to bed I went!

In the morning the pumpkin had risen and settled on the top, so I had to give it a thorough stir before serving. DD had hers with brown sugar and said it was great. I didn't eat my portion until a bit later. There was just a little something about it I would change, but I can't quite figure out what it is. I've made pumpkin oatmeal before by just adding warmed canned pumpkin puree to a hot bowl of steel cut oats and giving it a stir. I think I liked that better.

Anyhow, if you are a fan of pumpkin and a fan of steel cut oats, I recommend trying this!....................P

Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #99
MelindaRuns
Mouseketeer

Tea Pot You are definitely in the right place. We are all so glad you are here. Just keep reading and posting! We are all in this together.

myweegirls Liz- you are an inspiration!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #100
christinascreative
Mouseketeer

Hi, I'm Christina!
I'm newish to the boards and new to the BL challenge. I've been doing WW with my DH since May and have lost 27.6 lbs so far. I'm hoping this will help keep me accountable because I've been in somewhat of a rut the past two weeks.
I used to run... ahem.. 9 1/2 years ago I ran all of 1 5k. In any case, I wanted to start running again, so I started about a month ago, and well I have a 5k this Sunday and I am planning on running the Princess 1/2 in Feb.
Nice to meet all of you!
christinascreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #101
Mom2aJessieGirl
DIS Veteran

So.... I made it to the gym today for the first time in ages. I walked a 24 minute mile, which is lots better then what I expected!
WDW (Dolphin/FW) February 2014; WDW (POP) March 2013 (F&G);WDW (ASsp) January 2013;WDW (POFQ/FW) May 2012 (SWW); WDW (FW) February 2012; WDW (POFQ) November-December 2011 (MVMCP); WDW (POFQ/FW) February 2011; DLR (GCH) August 2010; WDW (WL) Spring 2002; WDW (WL) August 1997; WDW (WL) July 1994; DLR (DLH) Mid 90's; WDW July-August 1991; WDW March 1989; And a couple more for good measure!
Mom2aJessieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #102
JacksLilWench
Bloody Pirates...

Pjilla and kollerbear, I *completely* understand about the community boards- I will never go to them again after I was attacked for venting about my grandmother's accident while she was in a nursing home. Someone actually said to me "You can't expect nurses to not be tired and make mistakes." O.o. Actually, that's *exactly* what I expect from you as a healthcare professional, regardless of how tired you may be...but I'll stop now before I get all riled up!

I'm so ready for the challenge to start!! I feel like I've been pretty slack lately, and I think its because I have no challenge :-( so I'm ready to go! Pamela, the oatmeal recipes sound so good, I'm gonna have to try those...especially the pumpkin one! I missed my run last night because I was hosting a meetup that (despite only 7 out of 21 people showing) was a great time. So Thursday I have to make up for it and maybe a little extra on Saturday ;-)

Only a couple more days now to the start line!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #103
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Good morning all!

I'm going to go ahead and post a warm up question since we are all anxious to get started.

Raise your hand if you want to go to the Happiest Place on Earth as we start our Biggest Loser Fall Challenge!

Yep, we're on our way to healthy living!

Oh . . . um . . . did you think I was going to say we're going to Disney? Okay, let's see if we can manage to do both.

But before we get started we had better introduce ourselves to our fellow travelers.

Did anyone else ever go on the America the Beautiful attraction at Disneyland? It was a circle-vision movie, similar to the Reflections of China movie at Epcot. Although the attraction never moved, many people thought it did because of the way it was filmed, so the host always asked you to introduce yourself to the people standing around you, in case you needed to grab onto them.

Well, during this challenge we will all be counting of the support of our fellow challengers.

Intro QOTD (Question of the Day) 9/5/12: Please introduce yourself, if you haven't already.

I am Lisa and I will be your coach starting Friday. I've been doing the BL challenges since 2009. I'm 52, married and have a sometimes cranky teen son. I will be reaching my goal weight by the end of the year. It's taken me longer than I thought it would to get there but each and every challenge, year after year, I end up weighing less than I started. Thanks to several WISHers who inspired me I started running when I was 49. In a few days I will be running my
4th half marathon in 12 months. I've made lifelong friends and been to WISH meets at both Disneyland and DisneyWorld. I've done things that I never dreamed possible because of these challenges and WISH who gave me the courage to start.

A big, BL thank you to our hostess, Maureen, and our weightkeeper, Samantha!

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and to a great challenge!

Last edited by lisah0711; 04-30-2013 at 08:26 AM.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #104
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

I totally agree about the Community Board -- those people can be scary at times! I do have to admit I do read there because some of those threads are so crazy they are funny.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #105
Disneywedding2010
DIS Veteran

Afternoon everyone!

I'm going to make this short because I want to go back and catch up on some pages on the thread.

Went to the doctor yesterday and she told me "It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on your blood glucose levels". Then she gave me a pink One Touch monitor. Alan went to fill my meds today and picked up the script for my test strips. HOLY MOLY! Those aren't cheap.

Going in for lab work in a few days to get more blood tests and such completed. Hoping results come back okay so I don't have to see a medical endocrinologist but we shall see. Increased my Metformin yesterday and yep it kicked my butt . Hoping my body adjusts quickly.

Alan and I are going to be at Disney this time next week. I'm excited for our little 3 day get away. We got 2 dinner reservations: O'hanas and he requested Liberty Tree Tavern at MK. I was amazed when he told me he actually enjoyed that place. I think his response was "Well yeah. Where else can you go to at Disney World no matter the time of the year and eat Thanksgiving dinner??" LOL.

CONGRATULATIONS to all the biggest losers that made the list at the end of the Summer Challenge! I was amazed that not only did I crack the top 10 for the last week but overall as well. It just goes to show even though I didn't lose a whole lot during the challenge I still kicked butt.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: