Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #856
jillbur
DIS Veteran
 
jillbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,138

QOTD Wednesday, October 10

If a friend or family member was just starting out on his/her weight loss journey, what advice would you give them?


I'll be back later with replies. Have a healthy day

Jill
__________________
jillbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #857
disneymom2one
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Northwest Florida
Posts: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
QOTD Wednesday, October 10

If a friend or family member was just starting out on his/her weight loss journey, what advice would you give them?


I'll be back later with replies. Have a healthy day

Jill
1) Baby Steps - Take it one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time. There are times when I literally promise myself I'll stay away from food for the next five minutes. Then five more, then five after that.

2) Visualization - I spent a lot of time visualizing the day when I could shop in the "normal" section of the store, the day when I crossed the finish line of my first race, the day when someone walked up to me and didn't know who I was because I had lost so much weight.

3) Find support - my friends and family have really had to deal with a lot of "weight loss talk" from me. Did they get sick of it? Probably but they're so incredibly proud of me now. I love these boards as well.

4) Take breaks - there are just some days when I can't stand this whole thing. The exercise, the healthy food, not being able to eat a cupcake. So I take a few moments off - usually not a whole day but maybe a morning. And then I get right back on the train.

5) Track - everything. I use WW Online for food and Runkeeper on my phone for exercise (cross track with WW but I like Runkeeper because I don't have to think).


That's my five that have made the difference this time. I was obese for 20+ years and started and stopped many, many times. This time has been different.
__________________
----MB and family

---living in paradise and vacationing with the Mouse

--- DVC members - OKW



disneymom2one is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #858
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin
 
mskayjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: northern NY
Posts: 2,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
QOTD Wednesday, October 10

If a friend or family member was just starting out on his/her weight loss journey, what advice would you give them?


[/COLOR]
When I worked at the gym and would start with a new client I would always tell them to give me 3 weeks of their life before they decided if this was "working" for them. Look we all see stuff like Biggest Loser on TV and think we should lose like that! (they exercise for about 6-7 hours per day in case anyone didn't realize that so it is not realistic!) Or like most of us here, we look at the scale every day or every other day and want to see a loss every morning.....great motivator but it doesn't always happen!

The reality of setting out on a weight loss journey is that you have damaged your body or at the very least badly neglected it and it is going to take time for it to recover and rebuild! The first 2 weeks on a diet and exercise program are the worst! Your body is (or should be if you're eating right now!) detoxing from all the stuff you normally eat. You are taking refined sugars and carbs out which is good but your body is addicted to that so you're going to have headaches and terrible cravings as you detox and break the addiction! You're also adding in exercise while doing this which makes your body hurt at the same time until the muscles heal after those workouts. It is seriously almost easier to start a serious weight loss journey with a cleanse of some sort to rid your body of all the crap, get the cravings over with, and settle in but once you're past those first 2 weeks, you should be good.

Week 3 is when you really start to see the impact of what you're doing. You should not feel as achy when you exercise. You should be able to comfortably start increasing your workouts. Most importantly you should be noticing some small changes in how your clothes fit, your energy, your overall feeling should be improving, and you should see weight loss avg of about 2-3 pounds per week.

So overall, I would tell people....expect to not feel so good for a few weeks and then settle in for the long haul. It is a journey this trip back to healthy and it won't happen overnight. Expect to have times where you might not lose for a while, expect that you might have days where you fall back into old habits, expect to find that a journey of weight-loss is far more than about just losing weight!
__________________
karen



Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #859
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser
 
lisah0711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 5,497

Happy Wednesday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbride6205 View Post
How do you do on longer runs with the short intervals? I really like 20/40 for up to 3 miles. But beyond that, I feel like transitioning back to walking from running gets harder. Like I'm straining a little to slow down.
It is hard sometimes to get back to running after walking. I've been e-coaching with Jeff Galloway this year and a lot of time he has me doing 10 seconds/50 seconds on my longer runs because "you can NOT do the long runs too slowly." The shorter walking intervals seem to help and also I don't feel so wrung out towards the end so it is easier to keep going. I am a very slow runner, my Tink time was 4:02.

Have you tried Galloway's glider drills on your short runs? It's supposed to help smooth your transitions. Here is a link to the YouTube video that used to be on the RunDisney site for anyone who is interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC97nMK-Q94

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleherself View Post
I had an amazing vacation! Immediately upon returning home a week ago I got sick. Flu-like sick. That knocked me on my back. Since then I've been playing catch up and at long last I'm posting back here.
Glad that you had an amazing vacation and sorry to hear you were sick. A half pound gain on vacation is a victory in my books!

Pamela, glad that you had such a great week-end with your kiddos and so happy that your eye is okay!

Jaina, it is tough to workout in the AZ heat in the summer (I lived there for 13 years and my Mom still lives there) but it sounds like you have a good routine for the water. I live in 4 seasons area now but aspire to be a snowbird someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskayjay View Post
Hey all! sorry I've been MIA but I've had a lot going on with family and I've been getting in some good gym time! Got in a few really good runs at the gym and then ran outside tonight. wow does that cool air make a difference! Between the cool temps and lots of people mowing it was pretty slow going but I did it and that's what counts!
Sounds like you've been busy and made great use of your time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Hokie Gal View Post
I was not at the WISH meet for the Tink. I don't think I even knew about it. I'm really looking forward to the Wine & Dine, even though my run time is very slow. I just got new running shoes tonight, so maybe that'll help some. My other shoes were really hurting my feet.
Well, I will make sure to say hello to you at the W&D. I'm hoping the meet will be at 8:30 p.m. before the race like they did at ToT as that seems to work well. I'm very slow, too. Don't worry and have a great time. Back of the pack is where it's at!

What kind of shoes did you get? I'm breaking in a new pair of shoes, too, before the race. I got Brooks Ariel. They are clunky but work great for me.

Jill, nice job getting all that crazy stuff over with at once. Hope you have smooth sailing for the rest of the week. (As smooth as can be with your roof being replaced).

Quote:
Originally Posted by belledreamer View Post
Not much to share today, but I did have a weight loss victory! Wore my boot-cut jeans today, and there was no muffin-top! I almost needed a belt!
That is a great woo hoo!

And speaking of s, nice job Fran on getting rid of the "just in case pants."

I'll be doing a search for those tips. Thanks!

Aww, Jen, we all have days like that. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, today is another day!

A big and to all our superstars and especially to our Biggest Loser, bellaally! And another for Nicole our maintainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
QOTD Wednesday, October 10

If a friend or family member was just starting out on his/her weight loss journey, what advice would you give them?
So much great advice already! I will add NEVER GIVE UP!

Crazy long, busy day ahead for me so I will get to it. Have a great day all!

Last edited by lisah0711; 10-11-2012 at 01:26 PM.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #860
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion
 
pjlla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 9,745

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
Okay, This has been a completely crazy day. I got a flat tire, my sister had to pick my kids up from school so my car could get towed to Sears to get the flat fixed, DH ended up sick at his clinicals with chills and a fever but had to pick me up from work & the kids from my sisters, we went to DNephews CC meet (he rocked a 2nd place finish and a PR on his home course of 18:12 for the 5k~and he's in 9th grade!), did homework with DS9, loaded the dishwasher, made lunches for tomorrow, roof guy came by and took tons of money from me, and now I need to do laundry! Whew. Sorry I don't have more time for replies.

CRAZINESS!!! Thanks for even being able to BE HERE with us with all of that going on!!

By the way~I have been trying to get my roof done for months. We finally narrowed it down and they are starting Monday. Yay! This has been months in the making. And IT'S EXPENSIVE! The guy who came to remeasure tonight kept telling us what a big job this is. We know. We are the ones paying

Stop scaring me with all of this expensive roof talk! Our house hasn't hit the 20 y/o mark yet, but we KNOW that our roof will definitely need attention in the next 10 years (probably more like 5 years). With one in college next year and another three years after that, I'm not sure WHERE that money will come from! We had an BIG unexpected house expense in 2008 and STILL have not fully recovered our emergency/house repair account. I'm not a worrier by nature, but financial worries are definitely TOPS on my list of things that wake me during the night!

I'm having a frustrating eating week. I know it's my fault, but I just can't get back on track. Thanks for all the talk of plateaus and how you deal with them. It was so motivational to me and although I know what to do when I hit a plateau, I needed to see others say it to get me motivated again! So thank you all!

Sometimes all it takes is ONE DAY. I will preplan and pre-measure all of my foods.... everything for the day other than water or coffee.... and write it, in pen, in my food journal ahead of time. One great totally OP day can really get my motivation back.

When I hit a plateau, I just need to make sure I am tracking everything and watching my ww points. When I am on, I'm on. And when I'm off, I'm way off. So, I am expecting a slight gain this week, but will get right back on the wagon! And, I need to drink more water! I've found that when I am not tracking water intake, I drink much less.

Thanks for the water reminder. I've been neglecting that as well... probably because the weather is getting colder! Off to grab a glass of water and start the kettle for a cup of green tea!

Okay, I am off to get laundry done and get orgainzed for tomorrow. Have a great night

Jill
Hope today is a good one! Prayers that your DH is feeling much better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belledreamer View Post
Oh yes. Plateaus are a part of the journey unfortunately, but it all depends on your viewpoint of them. Like my Ddad pointed out to me, a plateau isn't failure. Just maintaining is better than gaining it back! Keep powering on, make some changes if you find that the weight isn't coming off and eventually you get past it.

AMEN!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not much to share today, but I did have a weight loss victory! Wore my boot-cut jeans today, and there was no muffin-top! I almost needed a belt!
WOOHOO on the banished muffin top!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnhan View Post
Good evening all! Well was having a great OP day until I got home after football game and the got pissed because no one had done dishes and everyone was starving so warmed up left overs and everyone ate while I cleaned kitchen and then I went to eat and the bottomless pits I live with had eaten pretty much everything . So I had a cupcake, piece of cake, 2 nutty bars and the last bit of homemade chicken noodles (yeah the ones with the egg/floor noodles from scratch!)
So much for being OP.......grrrrr

Well off to see just how bad off I am on tracking......
I'm sorry that happened. I can completely relate. DH is MUCH better than he used to be about stuff like dirty dishes, but believe me, there were MANY years of my life when I would return from taxiing a child somewhere, a full day at a swim event or soccer jamboree or whatever.... to find dishes all over the house (in the sink, on the counter, in the living room), and just general chaos. I NEVER leave the house for the day with dishes in the sink or without making the bed (even if DH is still in it, I make my side!). I would never leave for a full day or weekend without leaving meals or at least meal instructions/plans, an empty dishwasher, laundry caught up, etc etc.

I"m sure that there were days when DH wondered what kind of a B**** he married when I would walk in after being gone all day and would immediately lose my temper.... but messes make me crazy!!!

Next time, claim your own food FIRST! I will often give the family first choice on leftover nights, but if there is something that is just a much smarter choice for ME, I will politely ask them to leave it. Sometimes they just don't think or realize the limited choices.

Hope your day is better today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollerbear View Post
Biggest Loser Fall Challenge! Week 4

Hey there all! We're almost half-way through this challenge, and the time sure is flying! I'm proud to say that our retention is still VERY high, at 73% this week! Over 50 of us around the world are making the commitment to live healthfully and support each other.

Before I run through the statistics, I noticed that many of us had a rough couple of weeks on the scale. Since we all know that scale is going to go up and down on this journey, I'd like to recognize some non-scale victories in next week's post. So to mix things up, when you weigh-in next week, let me know if you've had a non-scale victory this week that you'd like to recognize. This is, of course, very optional. I'll compile a list of them and add them to the end of next week's stats! Could be neat, right? One reminder, make sure you give me a victory that you're OK with me sharing with the group.


WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!


Alright, without further ado, some statistics:


MAINTAINERS (i.e. participants staying within 2 lbs of their goal weight):

Maintainers Reporting In & Successfully Maintaining-----1
Congratulations princessbride6205 (Nicole)!!!
Maintainers Reporting In------------------------------1


LOSERS:

Current Participants----------------70
Weigh ins-----------------------49
Excused-------------------------4
Missing this week (first time)-----8
Missing this week (second time)--3
Missing this week (third time)----4
(Off the roster------------------3)

Welcome to new participant rubybpc (Ruby)!

Losses--------------------------29
Maintains------------------------5
Gains --------------------------15
New this week-------------------0

This week’s group loss = 25.6 pounds!
Average percentage of weight lost 0.23%



RETENTION RATE (including Maintainers and Losers): 53/73 = 73%


THE WISH BIGGEST LOSER FALL CHALLENGE! WEEK 4 SUPERSTARS!!

Disclaimer: I am human and I make mistakes. If you have any questions please contact me. For your reference the weight lost formula is = loss for the week divided by last week's weight times 100.

Now let's get to the good stuff. Who were our superstars of week 3?


#10 - 1.08% - belledreamer (Ashley)
#9 - 1.09% - Melissahac99 (Melissa)
#8 - 1.21% - camnham (Jen)
#7 - 1.30% - Raenstoirm (Carla Rae)
#6 - 1.71% - bigsis1970 (Michelle)
#5 - 1.76% - CruiseBoundinKY (Karen)
#4 - 1.90% - 6ofus2 (Robbie)
#3 - 1.92% - slriver (Tracy)
#2 - 2.04% - rubybpc (Ruby)


and now

The WISH Biggest Loser Fall Challenge! Week 4 Biggest Loser is:
#1 - 2.14% - bellaally (Alexandra)

[/I]
BIG congratulations to all of our losers and maintainers and most especially to our top 10!! Way to go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
QOTD Wednesday, October 10

If a friend or family member was just starting out on his/her weight loss journey, what advice would you give them?
MAKE SMALL CHANGES that you can foresee maintaining for a lifetime! Giving up all sugar may seem like a great idea, but it is really practical for a LIFESTYLE change?? Sure, you want something to really give you a running start, right out of the gate. You are anxious to get that weight gone and gone quickly! But if you cannot maintain the changes you make, you are much more likely to not maintain the weight loss.

You may find, from the start, that you couldn't imagine giving up your weekly beer and wings night. So plan for it, save the calories/Points for it and make it a part of your plan. You may eventually find that you are okay with light beer and baked wings..... or that you can have it just once a month, instead of every week.... or that you can give it up all together without feeling deprived. But start slowly and make small changes that you can stick with!!

There were a few foods that I couldn't imagine living without 5 years ago.... and most of them are RARELY part of my diet any more. I have discovered that they are JUST NOT worth the calories.... or in some cases I can limit myself to having that food much less often.... or less of it when I do splurge (things like movie popcorn, ice cream, wine, french fries, onion rings). But if someone told me 5 years ago that I had to stop eating these things totally, I would have probably given up before I even started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom2one View Post
1) Baby Steps - Take it one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time. There are times when I literally promise myself I'll stay away from food for the next five minutes. Then five more, then five after that.

2) Visualization - I spent a lot of time visualizing the day when I could shop in the "normal" section of the store, the day when I crossed the finish line of my first race, the day when someone walked up to me and didn't know who I was because I had lost so much weight.

3) Find support - my friends and family have really had to deal with a lot of "weight loss talk" from me. Did they get sick of it? Probably but they're so incredibly proud of me now. I love these boards as well.

4) Take breaks - there are just some days when I can't stand this whole thing. The exercise, the healthy food, not being able to eat a cupcake. So I take a few moments off - usually not a whole day but maybe a morning. And then I get right back on the train.

5) Track - everything. I use WW Online for food and Runkeeper on my phone for exercise (cross track with WW but I like Runkeeper because I don't have to think).


That's my five that have made the difference this time. I was obese for 20+ years and started and stopped many, many times. This time has been different.
Those are AMAZING things!! Well said! I concur with every one of them!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskayjay View Post
When I worked at the gym and would start with a new client I would always tell them to give me 3 weeks of their life before they decided if this was "working" for them. Look we all see stuff like Biggest Loser on TV and think we should lose like that! (they exercise for about 6-7 hours per day in case anyone didn't realize that so it is not realistic!) Or like most of us here, we look at the scale every day or every other day and want to see a loss every morning.....great motivator but it doesn't always happen!

The reality of setting out on a weight loss journey is that you have damaged your body or at the very least badly neglected it and it is going to take time for it to recover and rebuild! The first 2 weeks on a diet and exercise program are the worst! Your body is (or should be if you're eating right now!) detoxing from all the stuff you normally eat. You are taking refined sugars and carbs out which is good but your body is addicted to that so you're going to have headaches and terrible cravings as you detox and break the addiction! You're also adding in exercise while doing this which makes your body hurt at the same time until the muscles heal after those workouts. It is seriously almost easier to start a serious weight loss journey with a cleanse of some sort to rid your body of all the crap, get the cravings over with, and settle in but once you're past those first 2 weeks, you should be good.

Week 3 is when you really start to see the impact of what you're doing. You should not feel as achy when you exercise. You should be able to comfortably start increasing your workouts. Most importantly you should be noticing some small changes in how your clothes fit, your energy, your overall feeling should be improving, and you should see weight loss avg of about 2-3 pounds per week.

So overall, I would tell people....expect to not feel so good for a few weeks and then settle in for the long haul. It is a journey this trip back to healthy and it won't happen overnight. Expect to have times where you might not lose for a while, expect that you might have days where you fall back into old habits, expect to find that a journey of weight-loss is far more than about just losing weight!
Great stuff! You are right.... you definitely have to give it a chance. People who want immediate results are often so disappointed. Three weeks should be do-able for anyone!

********************

Happy Wednesday friends! I really anticipated being called to work today, but I wasn't.

Having a really lazy day.... just have NO motivation to do anything around the house. Dishes are done, kitchen is clean, and bed is made. I also picked up dirty clothes and emptied hampers. But beyond that.... I'm feeling rather sloth-like! Trying to cut myself some slack because I am usually such a crazy go-getter. I will finish putting two coats of primer/paint on the trim boards that I am getting ready. I have to paint them in the house because it is so stinking cold/rainy out again today! And I am considering taking out the garage windows and bringing them in to paint as well.... it won't matter if it rains into the garage a bit and it will be much easier to paint them on a flat surface in the house. But I'm feeling SO unmotivated!

Off to get dinner in the crockpot! Rosemary chicken with veggies on the menu for tonight!

TTYL..........................................P
__________________




WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #861
belledreamer
Hello Sweetie... <3
Nothing like reaching a goal to keep you motivated!
 
belledreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the TARDIS with the Doctor
Posts: 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
QOTD Wednesday, October 10

If a friend or family member was just starting out on his/her weight loss journey, what advice would you give them?


I'll be back later with replies. Have a healthy day

Jill
That there isn't a 'fix-all' for losing weight. I've seen people do the diets where you don't eat this or that and be very successful...only to gain it all back (and then some) when they start eating those foods again.

Several of my co-workers have been asking me what diet I'm on and they're completely shocked when I tell them I'm not. It's not a diet; it's a life-style change. And honestly, I find it more liberating. While there are foods that I don't eat anymore (mainly fast food) I don't deprive myself either. I still drink chocolate milk and eat grilled cheese sandwiches and chocolate, but I make better choices about how I often I have them.

You have to be willing to put in the work and I'm not going to lie, it is going to be work, but once you realize how much better you feel, you'll never want to go back.
belledreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #862
JacksLilWench
Bloody Pirates...
 
JacksLilWench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 1,085

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
QOTD Wednesday, October 10

If a friend or family member was just starting out on his/her weight loss journey, what advice would you give them?


I'll be back later with replies. Have a healthy day

Jill
I would definitely say it's to not give up or be discouraged because of a "bad" day or week. I would probably also say to expect bad days and just roll with it when they come- not "if" they come, but WHEN. Make a backup plan to determine what to do, even if it involves eating a cupcake or two

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Usually Wednesday night is date night for me and DBF...and tonight is gonna be a little different and I hope it stays that way! He is wanting to go on a walk/run before we go to dinner as part of a healthier way to "be", and I really like it. Saturday we went on a hike, which was very different from what we used to do! (I say "used to" because we won't be sitting around for much longer ) I'll let you know how it goes!
__________________
JacksLilWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #863
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion
 
pjlla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 9,745

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Pamela, glad that you had such a great week-end with your kiddos and so happy that your eye is okay!

Thanks!

So much great advice already! I will add NEVER GIVE UP!
Best bit of advise EVER!! Hope your crazy day goes well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belledreamer View Post
That there isn't a 'fix-all' for losing weight. I've seen people do the diets where you don't eat this or that and be very successful...only to gain it all back (and then some) when they start eating those foods again.

Several of my co-workers have been asking me what diet I'm on and they're completely shocked when I tell them I'm not. It's not a diet; it's a life-style change. And honestly, I find it more liberating. While there are foods that I don't eat anymore (mainly fast food) I don't deprive myself either. I still drink chocolate milk and eat grilled cheese sandwiches and chocolate, but I make better choices about how I often I have them.

You have to be willing to put in the work and I'm not going to lie, it is going to be work, but once you realize how much better you feel, you'll never want to go back.
Great, great advise. It can't be "DIET"....it needs to be a LIFESTYLE CHANGE! No better words of advise (other than "NEVER GIVE UP!").

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksLilWench View Post
I would definitely say it's to not give up or be discouraged because of a "bad" day or week. I would probably also say to expect bad days and just roll with it when they come- not "if" they come, but WHEN. Make a backup plan to determine what to do, even if it involves eating a cupcake or two

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Usually Wednesday night is date night for me and DBF...and tonight is gonna be a little different and I hope it stays that way! He is wanting to go on a walk/run before we go to dinner as part of a healthier way to "be", and I really like it. Saturday we went on a hike, which was very different from what we used to do! (I say "used to" because we won't be sitting around for much longer ) I'll let you know how it goes!
High five for you making a healthier life with your DBF.... great to do it when you are young and just starting out. You are developing habits that will probably be sticking around for a LONG time.... might as well make them HEALTHY HABITS!!

***************

Okay.... so I made my sloth-self get moving. I did the first AND second coats of paint on the remaining side of the trim boards that are waiting to be installed and pulled out two of the three garage windows, scraped and sanded, and did a first coat of paint. My kitchen is a bit of a disaster now, but that's life. Plus dinner is cooking away in the crockpot and lunch (leftovers from last night's not-so-successful stuffed peppers) is warming!

I will relax a bit while eating lunch, maybe catch up on a tv show for a few minutes, and then head up stairs to fold laundry and do a bit of scrapping!

TTYL...................P
__________________




WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #864
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.
 
bigsis1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Standish, Maine
Posts: 7,431

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollerbear View Post
Biggest Loser Fall Challenge! Week 4

THE WISH BIGGEST LOSER FALL CHALLENGE! WEEK 4 SUPERSTARS!!

Now let's get to the good stuff. Who were our superstars of week 3?

#10 - 1.08% - belledreamer (Ashley)
#9 - 1.09% - Melissahac99 (Melissa)
#8 - 1.21% - camnham (Jen)
#7 - 1.30% - Raenstoirm (Carla Rae)
#6 - 1.71% - bigsis1970 (Michelle)
#5 - 1.76% - CruiseBoundinKY (Karen)
#4 - 1.90% - 6ofus2 (Robbie)
#3 - 1.92% - slriver (Tracy)
#2 - 2.04% - rubybpc (Ruby)


and now

The WISH Biggest Loser Fall Challenge! Week 4 Biggest Loser is:
#1 - 2.14% - bellaally (Alexandra)

Congratulations!!!

What a great week you had. Keep up the good work.
YAY What a great week - Congrats to everyone especially Alexandra! Keep up the hard work - anything worth having is worth working hard for and that is my motto for this challenge (and it's working I was #6 this week!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
QOTD Wednesday, October 10

If a friend or family member was just starting out on his/her weight loss journey, what advice would you give them?


I'll be back later with replies. Have a healthy day

Jill
Well first I say you didn't get that way overnight so don't expect it all to just drop off.. then I say I love you and I know you can do it!

good views here on not DIET but Lifestyle change altho when people ask me I just say I'm taking better care of myself - watching what I eat, being more active and lovin life.. I love this little (or big) group thanks so much to all of you for posting (either everyday or whenever you can) I always find motivation, inspriation, and great advise and encouragement..

and with that I declared today no diet eat what i've been craving day as it's my bday and I have been enjoying what I want in moderation! (had eggs for breakfast and white bread for lunch along with a sinfully delish 1/2 of a whoopie pie and my hubs is making us steak dinner on the grill - steak, fingerling potatoes and green beans!) to balance this I picked up an extra Zumba class on Friday.. And even though I had to get up early and come to work it's been a great day so far .. So happy Hump day friends see you all tomorrow - lunch break is over!
__________________

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13


8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me and the Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = Aug 18, 2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
bigsis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #865
christinascreative
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 173

Congrats to Alexandra, the top 10 and everyone still working toward their goal!

QOTD Wednesday, October 10

If a friend or family member was just starting out on his/her weight loss journey, what advice would you give them?


Don't give up.. and especially don't give up because you think you blew it on one meal, one day, one week, one month, etc. The important thing is that you keep going and keep trying to stay on track.

Also-- if you think you've failed because you were on vacation and couldn't resist a cinnamon bun the size of your head (ahem.. me in WDW back in June)... just take a minute to breathe, and get back on track right there-- in THAT minute. You don't have to wait for a Monday to start, you can start with the next thing you decide to put in your mouth or with deciding to take the next step with exercise.
__________________


[/img]
christinascreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #866
bellaally
DIS Veteran
 
bellaally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Philadelphia
Posts: 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollerbear
Biggest Loser Fall Challenge! Week 4

Hey there all! We're almost half-way through this challenge, and the time sure is flying! I'm proud to say that our retention is still VERY high, at 73% this week! Over 50 of us around the world are making the commitment to live healthfully and support each other.

Before I run through the statistics, I noticed that many of us had a rough couple of weeks on the scale. Since we all know that scale is going to go up and down on this journey, I'd like to recognize some non-scale victories in next week's post. So to mix things up, when you weigh-in next week, let me know if you've had a non-scale victory this week that you'd like to recognize. This is, of course, very optional. I'll compile a list of them and add them to the end of next week's stats! Could be neat, right? One reminder, make sure you give me a victory that you're OK with me sharing with the group.

Alright, without further ado, some statistics:


MAINTAINERS (i.e. participants staying within 2 lbs of their goal weight):

Maintainers Reporting In & Successfully Maintaining-----1
Congratulations princessbride6205 (Nicole)!!!
Maintainers Reporting In------------------------------1


LOSERS:

Current Participants----------------70
Weigh ins-----------------------49
Excused-------------------------4
Missing this week (first time)-----8
Missing this week (second time)--3
Missing this week (third time)----4
(Off the roster------------------3)

Welcome to new participant rubybpc (Ruby)!

Losses--------------------------29
Maintains------------------------5
Gains --------------------------15
New this week-------------------0

This week’s group loss = 25.6 pounds!
Average percentage of weight lost 0.23%

RETENTION RATE (including Maintainers and Losers): 53/73 = 73%

THE WISH BIGGEST LOSER FALL CHALLENGE! WEEK 4 SUPERSTARS!!

Disclaimer: I am human and I make mistakes. If you have any questions please contact me. For your reference the weight lost formula is = loss for the week divided by last week's weight times 100.

Now let's get to the good stuff. Who were our superstars of week 3?

#10 - 1.08% - belledreamer (Ashley)
#9 - 1.09% - Melissahac99 (Melissa)
#8 - 1.21% - camnham (Jen)
#7 - 1.30% - Raenstoirm (Carla Rae)
#6 - 1.71% - bigsis1970 (Michelle)
#5 - 1.76% - CruiseBoundinKY (Karen)
#4 - 1.90% - 6ofus2 (Robbie)
#3 - 1.92% - slriver (Tracy)
#2 - 2.04% - rubybpc (Ruby)

and now

The WISH Biggest Loser Fall Challenge! Week 4 Biggest Loser is:
#1 - 2.14% - bellaally (Alexandra)

Congratulations!!!

What a great week you had. Keep up the good work. We have a very special clippie reserved for our weekly Biggest Loser. Wear it with pride this week!

This is our weekly reigning Biggest Loser clippie. We have the large version:

or use this:

or we have a medium version:

or use this:

and we have a small version:

or use this:

Thanks to ohMom-Molli for these clippies. They were used for a previous BL but we can recycle. Don't they look great?!
Congratulations to everyone that is sign up for this challenge to everyone who loss weight, those who didn't gain any weight, and lastly but most importantly those who tried. This is a long and difficult road so far. I have learned over the last few weeks, that no matter how many people you have encouraging you, this sis something you have to do on your own. The battle is against yourself and your bad learned behaviors. I have come a long way. Eating unhealthy and being lazy for 24 years has taken a big toll, I have a very long way to go,( have to lose 120 lbs to go) but this is the beginning of the rest of my life, I get to be healthier, live longer, fit into clothes I want to wear and look fabulous, not have any excuses, I want to thank you guys because even though I might not reply , I feel like we all have the same type of struggles with exercise and weight. I think I will be starting a blog soon,so I can write all the exercise and my meal plans and recipes. If I motivate at least one person to be healthier it worth it. Hoping everyone is having a great week.
__________________
Ally (Me 26) Jesse(DH 29) Nicholas (DS 3) Jordan (DS 2)

bellaally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #867
jillbur
DIS Veteran
 
jillbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,138

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnhan View Post
Good evening all! Well was having a great OP day until I got home after football game and the got pissed because no one had done dishes and everyone was starving so warmed up left overs and everyone at while I cleaned kitchen and then I went to eat and the bottomless pits I live with had eaten pretty much everything . So I had a cupcake, piece of cake, 2 nutty bars and the last bit of homemade chicken noodles (yeah the ones with the egg/floor noodles from scratch!)
So much for being OP.......grrrrr

Well off to see just how bad off I am on tracking......
Sorry you had a bad day. I hope you're back on track. I know I've been there, done that. Take care of yourself!



Quote:
Originally Posted by kollerbear View Post
Biggest Loser Fall Challenge! Week 4


Alright, without further ado, some statistics:


MAINTAINERS (i.e. participants staying within 2 lbs of their goal weight):

Maintainers Reporting In & Successfully Maintaining-----1
Congratulations princessbride6205 (Nicole)!!!
Maintainers Reporting In------------------------------1


LOSERS:

Current Participants----------------70
Weigh ins-----------------------49
Excused-------------------------4
Missing this week (first time)-----8
Missing this week (second time)--3
Missing this week (third time)----4
(Off the roster------------------3)

Welcome to new participant rubybpc (Ruby)!

Losses--------------------------29
Maintains------------------------5
Gains --------------------------15
New this week-------------------0

This week’s group loss = 25.6 pounds!
Average percentage of weight lost 0.23%



RETENTION RATE (including Maintainers and Losers): 53/73 = 73%


THE WISH BIGGEST LOSER FALL CHALLENGE! WEEK 4 SUPERSTARS!!

Disclaimer: I am human and I make mistakes. If you have any questions please contact me. For your reference the weight lost formula is = loss for the week divided by last week's weight times 100.

Now let's get to the good stuff. Who were our superstars of week 3?


#10 - 1.08% - belledreamer (Ashley)
#9 - 1.09% - Melissahac99 (Melissa)
#8 - 1.21% - camnham (Jen)
#7 - 1.30% - Raenstoirm (Carla Rae)
#6 - 1.71% - bigsis1970 (Michelle)
#5 - 1.76% - CruiseBoundinKY (Karen)
#4 - 1.90% - 6ofus2 (Robbie)
#3 - 1.92% - slriver (Tracy)
#2 - 2.04% - rubybpc (Ruby)


and now

The WISH Biggest Loser Fall Challenge! Week 4 Biggest Loser is:
#1 - 2.14% - bellaally (Alexandra)

Congratulations!!!
Congrats to all the maintainers and losers. A special congrats to Alexandra! Way to go! Keep up the good work everyone!



Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post

Have you tried Galloway's glider drills on your short runs? It's supposed to help smooth your transitions. Here is a link to the YouTube video that used to be on the RunDisney site for anyone who is interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC97nMK-Q94

Thanks for this link. I'll be checking it out when I have some extra time. It may be next summer but I'll get to it!


Jill, nice job getting all that crazy stuff over with at once. Hope you have smooth sailing for the rest of the week. (As smooth as can be with your roof being replaced).

Thanks. I'm hoping for less craziness as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsis1970 View Post

and with that I declared today no diet eat what i've been craving day as it's my bday and I have been enjoying what I want in moderation! (had eggs for breakfast and white bread for lunch along with a sinfully delish 1/2 of a whoopie pie and my hubs is making us steak dinner on the grill - steak, fingerling potatoes and green beans!) to balance this I picked up an extra Zumba class on Friday.. And even though I had to get up early and come to work it's been a great day so far .. So happy Hump day friends see you all tomorrow - lunch break is over!
Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoyed your special day!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

I apologize for not responding or replying to everyone. I read all of your responses to the QOTD and everyone offered such good advice. Sometimes I need to read other people's advice and apply it to myself. This is one of those weeks!

I have had a another hectic day (DH still sick and has been in bed since 4ish) and I am just sitting down for the first time. Now, I have to get organized for tommorow, which I just realized is just as hectic (of course!). My boys have early dismissal from school, dentist appointments for both, and then tomorrow night is open house at their school. I'm hoping DH feels better so he can go with us. I'm also hoping DH feels better so he can make dinner while I have the boys at the dentist. It would help out a lot!

So, again, I apologize for not being a very good coach today. Have a good night and I'll *talk* to you all tomorrow! Thanks.

Jill
__________________
jillbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #868
camnhan
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 573

So excited

I was actually able to walk on the treadmill tonight for 30 minutes with NO PAIN!!! My left foot is a little sore now that I am home but I can deal with that...it has been almost a full month since I have been able to do any exercise!!!! Woot Woot!!
__________________
Jen
June 2004 (all 28 of us! never again!!!) off-site, Dec 2007 WL, May 2010 POR, June 2011 Poly/BC, April 2012 CS

camnhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #869
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran
 
Flossbolna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nuremberg, Germany
Posts: 6,666

Sorry, I don't post a lot on the thread, just don't have the time for much posting at the moment. But I wanted to say thank you for everyone who replied to the recent QOTDs about what you would advise to someone who is just starting to lose weight and about the plateau. I have been working on my weight loss for quite some time, but all your advise was so motivating!! Really gave me a boost!! So also thank you very much to our coach for asking these great questions!
__________________
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:12 AM   #870
jillbur
DIS Veteran
 
jillbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,138

Good morning I wanted to end my coaching week with another fun question. I hope you all have a great Thursday!



QOTD Thursday, October 11

Do you have any pets? If yes, what kind and what are their names? Do you have any funny stories about your pets?



I'll be back later to hear all about your animal families.

Jill
__________________
jillbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: