Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #736
bigsis1970
Celebrating my 45th in Disney 10/10/15! Loves being Honey to the Hubs <3! What 3 trips in 2012! On the way to losing 1/3 of myself !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneywedding2010 View Post
I'm only down .2 this week. Finances have been tight and I'm anticipating pay day. I need to sit down this weekend and make out a meal plan and grocery list. I haven't ever done a lot of "grocery" shopping at Family Dollar before but I think I'm going to start. No, obviously I can't get like produce or things like that but items such as toiletries, cans of soup, etc. I'm trying to cut costs and still trying to figure out how to go about it. I also want to check out the local farmers market for our produce. I just need to remember to actually do it.

I'm open to any suggestion on how to cut a grocery bill

!
HI ! here is my strategy for keeping down my grocery bill.. I scour the sales flyers (we have one out on thurs and one out on sun for my local grocery stores) then I make my meal plan based on what is on sale. OR if I can I stock up on meat at my local Sam's club then plan my meals around the bulk meats I've bought. I find making a menu or meal plan is very HELPFUL. usually I have about a month to 6 weeks worth and tweak here and there again depending on the sales and rotate them accoring to season.. check out the Eat at Home 2! thread here for some ideas on what we all do to menu plan and not eat out as much.. Shop your farmers market long as you (we have a pretty short season up here in the North) Shop your local dollar store for some good finds (I just found some key Lime yoplait frozen granola bite things at mine -- DELISH !!) and as someone else said cook from scratch when you can... better for you and can be cheaper.. Good Luck You CAN do it!

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

Oct 9 - 18, 2015 Celebrating 45 Disney Style! Let's Eat Drink and be Happy!!!! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me and the Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = Aug 18, 2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
bigsis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #737
bellaally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711

Ally, a two pound loss is a great and a reason to celebrate! That is at the top of the suggested healthy range for sustainable, consistent losses. I know that you are feeling the pressure of what you want to do in December and would like the losses to be more but most of us are not going to see double digit losses in a week unless we are living at the Biggest Loser Ranch.
Thanks so much I really appreciate it, I would not be that upset at myself if I knew I give 100% but I know last week I have given myself a pass quite a few times. This week I plan at putting in 100 percent, I am counting my calories, looking at the fat content of the foods I eat. Also plan on a meal plan and sticking to it so I am not hungry with nothing to eat and chose junk. Also I am so lazy when it comes to getting up and out. It is extremely hard with the 3 month old and my 19 month old trying to take them on a walk, but I know if I just get up at six and leave them sleeping with my husband I can go out and run. I honestly need to stop the excuses and just do it....lol that's my new motto.....I vented there lol. But so far this two day good. Hope everyone is making an effort towards there goals. I need to do this for myself and no one else

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger813
OK, so here's a double dose of QOTD!

Monday QOTD: What do you plan on being this year for Halloween? If you're not dressing up, what would you like to be?

I will be taking my baby's to sesame place spooktacular so they will be woody and buzz, I am thinking maybe Jesse or probably just put on my sparkly Minnie ears lol. I would love to be snow white, I am thinking she is becoming my favorite princess.

QOTD: Tuesday:What book are you reading right now? If you aren't reading anything, what would you like to read?
I have Jen Lancaster a pretty fat, that I wanted to read saw a YouTube video she is hilarious hope her book is as funny!

I have so many half finished books on my kindle.
TTFN
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #738
christinascreative
Mouseketeer

Monday QOTD: What do you plan on being this year for Halloween? If you're not dressing up, what would you like to be?

I'll be dressing up in a skeleton / Dia de Los Muertos type of costume but more about my makeup than anything. My niece who is five loves skeletons / skulls. She loves princesses too- but she's not scared of anything!! She always wants my husband and I to go as Jack & Sally from Nightmare before Christmas but I think this is the closest I'll get for her.

QOTD: Tuesday:What book are you reading right now? If you aren't reading anything, what would you like to read?
I'm not reading but I have Mindy Kalings book on my iPod to listen to. I get tired of her after awhile though. She's funny but I can't run to her

[/img]
christinascreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #739
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

I am not sure I will dress up for the day of Halloween - probably just a themed shirt. But I plan to dress up as Minnie Mouse for the Wine & Dine race.

I'm reading Train Like a Mother - it's the second book written by two mom runners. I love my Kindle, but I can't recommend getting anything with footnotes or a training plan style book on it. I really regret not buying this book in print form!
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * Next up: 2014 Glass Slipper
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #740
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Here I am.... but with no time to chat! Dinner is literally 3 minutes away. We need to eat early tonight so that we can all head out to our evening activities on time.

What's on the menu for tonight, you ask?

Warm Asian Lettuce wraps.... and here is a link to the recipe!! (Post 99, complete with a photo!!)

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2447512&page=7

MMMM....I'm hungry!!

Hope everyone else had a delightful day. If there is any wi-fi at this venue, I'll try to pop on again tonight!...................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #741
disneymom2one
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.

QOTD:

(Catching up)
We don't do a traditional Halloween but have our own quirky traditions that I love. I'm not reading any books right now but have a ton on my Amazon wish list. Things are crazy busy right now.

---living in paradise and vacationing with the Mouse

--- DVC members - OKW

disneymom2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #742
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

For Halloween I will be going as a nurse. I work as a nurse and will be working that day. I work in a children's hospital and we are not allowed to dress in costumes because it could scare the kids. Right.

Books I am reading. Let's see: on the computer I have Running the Edge (a running book). In the living room I have Fit over Forty ( a womens fitness book), In the car I have The Eat Clean Diet. By the bed I just finished Sherryl Woods Where Azeleas Bloom, and I have a couple of Debbie Macomber books in the wings by the bed. In the Kitchen I have Holding Oniah (by a local author). There is also a book in the bathroom but that is DH's.

I am never far from a book, used to drive my parents crazy but if I have a book I'm not bored and causing trouble so they gave in around age 10 I think. DH always askes before we go somewhere if I have a book for both of us to read. He is book crazy like me.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #743
pjlla
<><

Yeah!,....wifi at this Y! I can chat! Be right back with some replies!........P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #744
bellaally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla
Here I am.... but with no time to chat! Dinner is literally 3 minutes away. We need to eat early tonight so that we can all head out to our evening activities on time.

What's on the menu for tonight, you ask?

Warm Asian Lettuce wraps.... and here is a link to the recipe!! (Post 99, complete with a photo!!)

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2447512&page=7

MMMM....I'm hungry!!

Hope everyone else had a delightful day. If there is any wi-fi at this venue, I'll try to pop on again tonight!...................P
Looks devious
Old 10-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #745
tigger813
DIS Veteran

HI all,

Been a long day! The coughing and congestion is still there. I am trying to see if it's turned into allergies! I did get my toes painted before my client arrived today.

Walking with a friend tomorrow for about an hour. Hopefully that will get me going again.

QOTD WEDNESDAY: What are your plans for the upcoming weekend? Is it a long one for you?

We're hoping to go to the Yankee Candle Outlet on Saturday. Also see all the pretty colors on the way to western MA! They have really changed a lot the past few days! I think we might also try and go to see Hotel Transylvania or Frankenweenie! They both have gotten good reviews. No soccer this weekend and I took the weekend off from work!

Think I'm going to go get my jammies on and get comfortable on the couch. May read a little or just watch some tv. I'm tired and it's raining again!

TTFN

Next trip: Easter at Disney April 17-23 (3 nights Kidani Savanna View, 3 nights Wilderness Lodge)
tigger813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #746
christinascreative
Mouseketeer

QOTD WEDNESDAY: What are your plans for the upcoming weekend? Is it a long one for you?

Oh how I wish it was a long weekend for me! Nope.
This weekend I'm watching my niece on Saturday, doing family portraits for a friend of mine, and somehow fitting a 6 mile run in there somewhere
Both 6 mile run & portraits are weather permitting as it's supposed to rain here. Though I suppose I should run in that rain regardless to prepare for the worst case scenario? Let's put it this way: Hoping for weather.com to be wrong this weekend

[/img]
christinascreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #747
pjlla
<><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneywedding2010 View Post
I'm only down .2 this week. Finances have been tight and I'm anticipating pay day. I need to sit down this weekend and make out a meal plan and grocery list. I haven't ever done a lot of "grocery" shopping at Family Dollar before but I think I'm going to start. No, obviously I can't get like produce or things like that but items such as toiletries, cans of soup, etc. I'm trying to cut costs and still trying to figure out how to go about it. I also want to check out the local farmers market for our produce. I just need to remember to actually do it.

I'm open to any suggestion on how to cut a grocery bill

Its raining here today so I think I'll get n my Wii for some cardio. I was going to do it last night but then upon turning the system on I realized the batteries were dead in both the remote AND the board, OYE!
Oh my....I have lots of advise that works for me....but my grocery bill is still crazy!

Obviously coupons when you can. I buy so little processed/frozen foods I rarely find coupons, but when I do, I use them!

Make meals tha t use little or no meat. Around here we call them "meatless Monday" but they aren't always Monday. . Baked potato night, pasta night, salad night....even chili with less meat and more beans and veggies.. Eggs, veggie burgers, cheese are all fairly inexpensive forms of protein.

Add extra veggies (especially cheap filling ones like celery, carrots, onions) to dishes to make them healthier and cheaper.

Plan meals according to what's on sale. Don't be afraid to stock up when you find a good sale and use your freezer! lots of things can be frozen...cheese, yogurt, milk, meats, breads, even some fresh fruits and veggies (although they are mostly only good for cooking after that).

And speaking of good sales....KNOW YOUR PRICES! If you don't know a good price when you see it, you might miss a good sale...or you might stock up when the price isn't at its lowest. When my kids were little I kept a price book that had the unit prices of most thing that I bought regularly ...especially diapers! I don't do it any more, but I have a good idea what a decent price is for most things I buy and I know when it is an unbeatable sale. try to shop by unit prices...much easier to comparison shop.

Don't be a slave to name brands! There is very little that I buy that I insist be a particular name brand. I am more concerned about the ingredients list.

Don't waste anything! I tend to use up leftovers for lunches. I will often eat a strange combination of things for lunch in order to use up a bit of this and a little of that. I try to NEVER throw away food. It is too expensive!

Look for food bargains in unusual places. I found organic canned beans and organic granola (Cascadian Farms) in Big Lots at great prices and stocked up!

Sorry to ramble...just trying to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger813 View Post
Saturday QOTD: Are there any foods that you would never eat or try before you set out on this journey to healthier eating? What have you found that you really love now?

:
For me it is more about foods that I thought I could never live without..but now I do nicely without them.

Really never cared much for salmon and still isn't a favorite, but I love salmon patties.

Kind of caught up now! TTY tomorrow...........P

Old 10-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #748
Mom2aJessieGirl
DIS Veteran

As I'm sitting here drinking my nightly cup of tea (using one of my WDW Parks mugs, of course!), I thought that I would share a bit about it.

See, I LOVE Hot Apple Cider...especially since moving to Michigan, land of Cider Mills! Republic of Tea now has a Hot Apple Cider Tea! It's caffeine free and sugar free, so I can drink it at night to relax and it's guilt free. Plus, I still get that wonderful fall flavor that I love. It makes me so happy!
WDW (Dolphin/FW) February 2014; WDW (POP) March 2013 (F&G);WDW (ASsp) January 2013;WDW (POFQ/FW) May 2012 (SWW); WDW (FW) February 2012; WDW (POFQ) November-December 2011 (MVMCP); WDW (POFQ/FW) February 2011; DLR (GCH) August 2010; WDW (WL) Spring 2002; WDW (WL) August 1997; WDW (WL) July 1994; DLR (DLH) Mid 90's; WDW July-August 1991; WDW March 1989; And a couple more for good measure!
Mom2aJessieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #749
glss1/2fll
DIS Veteran

No Halloween costume for me, but today on Pinterest I saw 3 20something gals as rock, paper, scissors. Too cute.

I've been reading the Sookie Stackhouse series just for mind candy in between other things. I'm about to start Kate Wilhelm's Desperate Measures and after that a friend has loaned me Brunelleschi's Dome. It's about the building of the dome on a church in Florence during the Renaissance. Have some Disneyland books from the library that are due next week. Mostly I've been using dis for everything, but it's still nice to have that hard copy to flip through! We leave in just a few weeks. I made our first dining reservation today.

I need to snap out of it food wise. Just can't make myself focus. Twice today I grabbed an entire handful of Costco's chocolate covered almonds. Twice. Tomorrow's a new day.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #750
belledreamer
Hello Sweetie... <3
Nothing like reaching a goal to keep you motivated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger813 View Post
Nothing actually planned yet as far as I know, but the weather's supposed to be beautiful this weekend so hopefully something outside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another bout of being M.I.A... I really need to work on that...

Gathering went great over the weekend with my brownie trifle being a big hit and several asking for the recipe. I actually had people sticking their fingers in the empty bowl for one last lick! I did have some (boy, was it GOOD!) but I only had one serving and was good with my other food choices so I didn't have any problem.

Meant to go the gym today, but after getting home after running errands, I had a bad bout of my head spinning whenever I'd stand up. I'd be fine while I was laying down but as soon as I'd get up, my head would be spinning and I'd be nauseous. (Inner ear problem?) So I ended up taking a nap instead, thinking that I'd go after that and by the time I woke up, had something to eat and finally felt good enough to go, it's time to start settling down for bed... So we're going to try again tomorrow.

Got exciting news from my local Comic Con website that 7 of the main characters from Star Trek: TNG are coming to the Con which makes my inner fangirl very happy. Good grief...I'm really showing my inner nerd...

But I've pretty much changed my plan for going as Cinderella now since I don't think I'm going to want to spend the whole day in that dress. But keeping to my Disney roots, I'm now planning on going as Penny from 'Bolt' since it's easy to get the costume together and the haircut's similar to mine.

Hopefully I can find a stuffed 'Bolt' while I'm at Disney World. Less than a month to go!!

Not much happening this evening. Had baked tilapia and asparagus for dinner and am now relaxing and trying to get sleepy after that 2 hour nap... So I've been surfing Youtube. Found a really interesting channel called 'PBSdigitalstudios' where they've made remix songs using sound bits from some of the more popular shows of PBS; Mister Rogers, Julia Child & Bob Ross. Personally I'm not big on autotune, but the results were pretty surprising and definitely worth a listen. I like them all but I think the Julia Child one is my favorite since I remember my mom and grandma watching her on tv when I was little. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ZrU...feature=relmfu

Hope everyone has a good Wednesday!
belledreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: