facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #196
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayTom View Post
I originally hoped to hit onederland for my holiday but a few family drama's got in the way and i had to reshuffle. My end goal will be 168lb. I've been very very happy with my body at 196 and so i think if i went below 12stone my body wouldn't look or feel right. I'm only 5'6 but i'm quite curvy and i and my DBf want it to stay that way
Great plan and you will have you goal weight in your sights sooner than you think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea pot View Post
Many of you have had C25K as a goal or commented on it
What is couch to 5K?
It seems to be a program to get off the couch and go
I need this
I found a thread with post like I'm in week 2 etc. but
did not have info on the program??
Is it a challenge similar to ours?
thanks a bunch
Joy, I see somone already answered the question about the C25K for you. There are other 5K training programs. I wish this one by Jeff Galloway had been available when I first started. http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html I never did make it all the way to the C25K because I just cannot run that much. I have been much happier and made progress since I switched to Galloway's run/walk method. But different things work for different people so see what works for you.

Also for those of you who might be interested on of the long time WISHers, windwalker, is doing a racewalking clinic for WISH. Here is a link to the current thread on the Events/Competition side of WISH http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...06&postcount=1 I have been using it to help increase my walking efficiency in my run/walk. I'm not racewalking but I might try it someday. I don't ever want to be really speedy, just speedy enough to never be swept again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
I am going with the adage "shoot for the moon and even if you fail you will land among the stars."
Love this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseBoundnKY View Post
Why cannot I not find a post anywhere from the person we are supposed to be sending our weights too. I'm sorry, can someone help.
I see someone answered your question. For future reference for everyone if you look at the first few posts of this thread you will find lots of great information in a handy place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoscrap View Post
Just remembered that we were starting sometime soon and I had signed up. My brain is fried!
We all have weeks like that -- and you got a double dose of the crazy first week of school at home and work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::Snow_White:: View Post
I'm pretty simple. With work and school I'm actually in a very good and happy place so that my health really should be easy to focus on. I'll be applying for the DCP in January and there is a good chance I'll be working at Disney next fall. Then applying for a photography internship for the spring of 2014. Crossing my fingers I'll have lined up a great job for Disney full time by then and be living the dream all the way down in Florida! Everything is great and surreal. If I could only get that last 10lbs off!

Well, there is my spiel, so excited to make some new and talk with some old friends!!
Kayla, that would be so wonderful if you can do a DCP next year! I have never forgotten the time I worked at Disneyland in college.
I know you will have a successful challenge and be joining the maintainers soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollerbear View Post
Well, when people ask where I get my protein from as a vegan, I explain that I try to get my protein during the week spanning across all 4 of my major protein sources: soy (tofu and tempeh), seitan (wheat gluten), beans and pulses (like lentils), and quinoa. I would definitely recommend learning how to cook tofu in a few ways that you REALLY enjoy. One of the keys to doing it is to make sure you set it aside to press for at least 15 minutes between plates and paper towels under a couple cans to weigh it down before you start almost any recipe. These are a couple of my favorite tofu recipes:

1) Pomegranate-Glazed Tofu: I know the picture looks grey, but this is really a nice jewel-tone in real life... very pretty! I like to cut it in ~3/4" cubes. It's great with couscous and roasted cauliflower.

2) Chimichurri Tofu: This recipe is baked, and the leftovers are delicious over salad with black beans, avocado and sweet corn! if you want more traditional measurements, PM me, I had a hard time finding this recipe online.

3) Lettuce Wraps with Hoisin Tofu: This is my favorite tofu recipe, and the dry sautee is a great way to prepare tofu and get it nice and chewy! Even my omnivore friends REALLY love this recipe, it's worth sourcing hoisin and mirin for.
Yum! Thanks for sharing the delicious tofu recipes!

Here is the link to our recipe thread http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...35&postcount=1 Lots of all kinds of recipes on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
I'm heading to Pittsburgh tomorrow to meet up with my college roommate who is home from Virginia (her parents actually live about 2 hours from me so Pitts is about halfway). So, I'm going to head to bed, but I'll check in sometime.
Safe travels, Jill, have a great time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelleyB View Post
It sounds like everyone has great goals and have thought about ways to reach them. That's awesome!! We can do it! Go Losers, Go! [/COLOR]
Thanks for cheering everyone on! Great plan! I know you can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Goals for this challenge:
Lose 10 pounds
walk/run 3 miles without dying!
weigh in every week

How to get there:
ice cream Fridays - not ice cream every day!!
walk 3 times a week
Walk/run 3 times a week
keep working toward cutting out the bad stuff and continue to move toward whole foods
track on MFP every day and complete tracking every day
Buffy, you can do it! Thanks for the quotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ofus2 View Post
My plan is to continue rocking weight watchers. I began March 23, this year at 253 lbs. Currently I am down 57.8 lbs weighing 195.2. My ultimate goal is 153 (high end for my height 5'6'') although I haven't weighed that low since I was a child so I have no idea what that will look like for me. I'll reevaluate as I get close. For this challenge, I'd like to lose 17.2 which would bring me to 178 or 75 lbs total loss! In order to continue losing, I will track everything I eat, attend ww meetings, be sure to get in my healthy guidelines, and I will continue my exercise. I am doing the C25K and today was week 4 day 1. I have a plan to run the Neverland 5K at DL Jan. 19, 2013.

My 10 year old just saw this and said "Is that a hippie? I love hippies?"
Who doesn't love hippies?

Inspiring story and great plan! My sister did the Neverland 5K this year and said it was a blast. One of these days I'm going to try a 5K at one of these Disney races in addition to a half -- they always look like fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvpoohandcompany View Post
Its great to see some familar people here from previous challenges and to meet new friends too
I laughed when I saw your "ice-cream friday"-great minds think alike as I havree started "friday treat day" here Its a rule in my youngests school that packed lunches are healthy monday-thursday but on fridays they can include a treat and he really looks forward to fridays because of that but doesnt question the rule so we have started it at home too and it works great at cutting the junk from everyones diet
Sounds like a good strategy and one the kids have no problem with.

BRB getting in trouble with the smilie police!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #197
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm02 View Post
Hi Lisa, and everyone else!!
I introduced myself several pages back but here is a quick one: I'm Jude, 47 (gulp), working mom to 2 teenagers, with an awesome DH, and in the middle of a campaign to run for a local judge seat. I have started several challenges ...but run out of steam somewhere about 2/3 of the way. I WILL finish this one!! I am tired of feeling sad about my lack of success. I will be happy about whatever downward scale movement I have - any decrease is better than up! I know I need the support that this board provides!!!
Jude, you are a success and an inspirations! You were one of the folks who inspired me to give the Princess a try. I totally get how you feel because I feel that way myself sometimes -- we are setting ourselves up for success this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
QOTD Saturday, September 8, 2012 2012: Do you think tracking food is an important part of weight loss?
* Yes, definitely
* Maybe, it depends on the person
* No, I don't think it's necessary
I do think tracking is very important to success. Do I like it? Nope. Do I do it everyday? Nope. But I do know that times that I have been successful in the past have been those times I am religiously tracking and staying on plan so I will do it, whether I like it or not.

I especially appreciate the importance of tracking so I don't overestimate the number of calories burned for activity. For example, I'm doing a half marathon next week-end and I weigh just under 200 pounds. How many calories do you think I will burn running 13.1 miles? 2,000? 3,000? 4,000? Nope, about 1500 -- something easily undone by one trip through the drive through. This is why tracking is so vital so don't undo all your hard work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D73 View Post
YES!!!! It is great for planning and tracking......Bite it, write it! Have a great week, review it and use it again for continued success. Have a bad week, review and find your downfalls and learn from them to avoid them again.

I use myfitnesspal and am happy to be a friend on there with anyone else who is also using it.

Christopher
Excellent point, Christopher!

Quote:
Yes!!! MFP has really helped me see exactly what and how much of something I can eat. It's almost like a game too. Let's see how much I can get for as few calories as possible.

Old breakfast
Bowl of cereal
caramel macchiato
greek yogurt
Banana - sometimes

Turns out that's like 640 calories

Now that I have MFP I can say ok, I really want a macchiato which is 130-150 calories depending on which milk I use. So I can have a nutrigrain bar and a peach cup and be at 340 calories.

Tomorrow I can have water, a bowl of cereal and a banana and its 330 calories.

Old fried egg sandwich with cheese and mayo on oatnut bread - 430 calories
new fried egg sandwich with cheese and mayo but no yolk on arnold flax and fiber flat bread - 213 calories. I still have room for a 70 calorie fruit cup.
Good point about how eye opening it is when you realize how many calories you were eating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acename View Post
Exercise has helped me make better food choices. If I know I'm going to run later, I want to eat something that won't make me feel sick when I run. If I ran earlier, I feel healthy and great and want to eat something that will make me feel the same way. Regular exercise has honestly been the best thing for my diet.

Food tracking is great for some people, but it sets me back. It only took my 5 years of being on and off a diet to figure it out!
This is a great example of figuring what works for you because that is the only way to be truly successful with a lifestyle change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookzilla View Post
Hi my name is Cindy. I am Penguin1102's mom. I live in Southern California. I am very excited about joining my first challenge and getting to make some great friends along the way. Here is to a successful challenge to all!!
Cindy! Best of luck to you in our challenge!

Quote:
To add to Lisa's journalling and for those who choice different options.

This is the image from choosemyplate.gov

I know a lot of us have crazy schedules with kids sports banquets and weekend adventures. When you can't control what is being prepared, use this chart as a guide. I try to fill 1/2 my plate with veggies first, then fill the rest.

This is great, Buffy, because you don't have any of that cumbersome measuring, weighing, etc.

And now I think I am caught up on my replies for now.
Have a great Saturday!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #198
cookzilla
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711

Which brings me to the QOTD.

QOTD Saturday, September 8, 2012 2012: Do you think tracking food is an important part of weight loss?
* Yes, definitely

Have a great Saturday!
Yes I think you need to track your food. Previously I have been successful with writing everything down first. I find that when you don't track you mindlessly eat. Tracking makes you think about it before you put it in your mouth.

Last edited by cookzilla; 09-09-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling
cookzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #199
disneymom2one
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.

QOTD:

I think tracking is extremely important but ...

I haven't done it lately. I get really burned out on it and more than a little OCD so what has worked for me over the past six months is just to eat the same thing most of the time. I literally have the same breakfast, lunch, and dinner most days. I may vary the protein a little but essentially, that's what I've done. It works but as I get closer to goal (and the pounds seem a lot more stubborn), I'm tracking again. I'm using MFP and I'm trying to not be quite so OCD about it.

MB

---living in paradise and vacationing with the Mouse

--- DVC members - OKW

disneymom2one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #200
belledreamer
Hello Sweetie... <3
Nothing like reaching a goal to keep you motivated!

Quote:
* Yes, definitely
I'm gonna go in the minority here and say it depends on the person. I did tracking calories for a while and nearly drove myself crazy trying to keep track of every bite. I do however research and read nutritional values on what I eat before I eat something different. Plus I usually don't eat back my calories when I workout and when I do, it's something I know the calories of already. So while I don't track every bite, I'm mindful of how much I'm putting in.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #201
penguin1102
Mouseketeer

QOTD: I would say yes tracking is important. I find that when I track I am more aware of what I'm eating. Sometimes when I am wanting to eat something and then I look at the nutritional info and decide that it is probably not the best choice for me.
penguin1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #202
kollerbear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
[B]
* Yes, definitely
I think it depends on the person and it depends on your progress. I was eating healthfully but unsuccessful at losing weight for almost a year before I started tracking habitually, and then I had immediate success. That having been said, when I don't track, this often leads to a feeling that I'm "off plan", which shouldn't be the case, so in some sense I over-rely on the tracking to help guide my choices. So I can see how people with different mentalities might have different success. But I would recommend tracking at least for a couple weeks for anyone that is at a plateau and can't quite seem to make any progress.

For me, tracking consistently until I reach my goal weight is definitely part of my plan. If I take a day or two off of tracking and I don't lose weight that week, I know I've got no one to blame but myself. Sometimes you need to track to remind yourself how much a couple of splurge meals can undo all the hard work you've done the rest of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acename View Post
I think food tracking depends on the person. I know it works for a lot of people, but it doesn't work for me. I get entirely too obsessive about calorie counting and tracking. I can't think about anything else which makes me burn out quickly.
This is definitely what made me double-think my answer to say it depends on the person, because I've had similar experiences with tracking--my personality is very all or nothing and I get very easily discouraged if I go off plan and have to track it. I think tracking is a tool in your toolbox, and just like sometimes it's time to use a hammer, then sometimes it's time to use pliers, sometimes there are other tools that you need to use to achieve success. I agree that the way that food makes me feel is a huge motivator, as well, and sometimes switching to thinking about food in that way is a good way to get over another hump in the road, and if you reach a plateau it might be time to switch it up and use another tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookzilla View Post
Hi my name is Cindy. I am Penguin1102's mom. I live in Southern California. I am very excited about joining my first challenge and getting to make some great friends along the way. Here is to a successful challenge to all!!
Welcome Cindy! It's great to have you here.

Quote:
To add to Lisa's journalling and for those who choice different options.

This is the image from choosemyplate.gov

I know a lot of us have crazy schedules with kids sports banquets and weekend adventures. When you can't control what is being prepared, use this chart as a guide. I try to fill 1/2 my plate with veggies first, then fill the rest.

Thanks for sharing this image. It's a great idea to start with the veggies when you're filling your plate. I think when you're eating somewhere where you don't have a lot of control it's easy to get thrown off by worrying what things are cooked in, etc.., but even if the broccoli has oil or butter on it it's still broccoli, and it would really have to be DRENCHED in fat to have more calories than a similar volume of the carb at the table. I try to just do the best I can in those situations and try to not let the uncertainty throw me off my plan.

Me (27)--> <--DF (26), Ella, Panther, Sasha, Abigail
kollerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #203
6ofus2
Mouseketeer

* Yes, definitely

For me, I definitely think tracking is an important part of my weight loss. I am a member of WW, so when I track I see how much more I can eat that day. It helps me to plan accordingly.
Disneyland December 2005
Disneyland December 2010
Disneyland January 2013
Disneyworld April 2014

6ofus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #204
glss1/2fll
DIS Veteran

I think tracking depends on the person. I know that when we had a healthy habit challenge to track for a week I did better. But I refuse to be OCD over it (because I could so easily become that way! ) and therefore I don't track.

It's a quiet day around my house. I finally got the kitchen floor mopped! The dog and I went for a walk this morning, and since I forgot to do sit ups last night I did them this morning. I will do them again tonight. Another thing I am starting with this challenge: situps on the exercise ball every night. I'd like to do a wee bit of jumping rope each day but it would mean a change of undergarment support and that just seems like so much trouble!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #205
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Evening all! Just taking a moment to say hello. Busy day that started early for DD's open water dives (part 1 of 2), plus a long drive. Then home to chores, dinner, and yard work! I'm wiped out, so not taking the time to read and reply for now. Will try to get more time on here tomorrow evening ! Hope you all are well. TTYL..........P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #206
mskayjay
They were sooooo good I had um.....a few.....okay fine.....several!
I have the coolest memories of going on that ride over and over with my cousin

Hi! I'm a little bit late so I hope it is okay to join in on the fall challenge. I'm Karen but just K is fine too! So here are my answers to the QOTD!

QOTD-intorduce yourself.....
I live in Upstate NY where the only thing I battle more than the snow, is my weight! I've battled my weight for most of my life and after I had my kids I tackled it, lost 75 pounds in one year, and kept it off for a looooong time. About 7 years ago I started having some health issues, had 3 surgeries in 3 1/2 years and gained back 55 pounds! Because of my health problems and the pain it caused, it has been a long road back to being me but I am determined to get as close back to who I know I am supposed to be as I can.

I'm back down 35 pounds and really need to just finish this and get the last 20 off. I used to run just for fun and as I've gotten older I've realized that other than one 5K I've never really done a race so I would really like to do the Disney 1/2 just once in my life before my body says "nope!" so that is my long-term goal....Disney 1/2 Marathon for 2014.

QOTD...how are you going to do this
As far as how I plan to do it, I'm going to continue doing a combination of the HCG program (yes I know it is controversial!), work outs at my gym, and running while we still have good weather. Not surprisingly, the walking/jogging/running gets easier as the weight comes off but I haven't run in over 3 weeks now so I need to be here and be accountable!

I'm ready.....

Golf Resort (SOG now!)1974*Polynesian Resort 1976* Off site 1990*Tree House Villas 1992*Caribbean Beach Resort 1998*Off site 2004*Animal Kingdom Lodge 2006*Wilderness Lodge 2008*Wilderness Lodge 2009*Wilderness Lodge 2010*Animal Kingdom Villas 2011* Wilerness Lodge Villas 2011*
mskayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #207
camnhan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ofus2
* Yes, definitely

For me, I definitely think tracking is an important part of my weight loss. I am a member of WW, so when I track I see how much more I can eat that day. It helps me to plan accordingly.
YES
I do so much better when I track what I eat.....otherwise my "mental" tracking always seems to be off I really need to get back on the wagon and make better choices. Might be a little difficult this next week while in Aneheim but am going to try as I HATE everything I have tried on to pack
camnhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #208
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:

* Yes, definitely

Have a great Saturday!
Personally, tracking food is key to my weight loss. When I track everything for long periods of time, I lose weight. When I do not track, I either maintain or gain. That is one reason I joined weight watchers. I need accountability to kick these last few pounds. In fact, I really slacked tracking the last couple of weeks and really need to get back on track asap!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend so far. I went to Pittsburgh with my mom and met my college roommate at the casino (hehe). We had such a fun time!

I came home and took the dog for a walk, so I squeezed in a little exercise. Unfortuneately, I didn't eat real healthy today. I have to make better choices. As I mentioned above, I haven't been tracking my food, and I need to.

I also caught a bit of a cold. I have a scratchy throat and runny nose. I also have some achiness. I hope this is as bad as it gets, but after church and grocery shopping tomorrow, I plan to relax and watch some football.

During the spring challenge, I set mini goals for myself with rewards when I hit those goals. I think I'll try that again this challenge. I am itching to book a WDW trip for next year, so maybe that will be my ultimate reward if I reach my goal weight. DH is keeping me from booking since he finishes school in Jan and doesn't know if/when he will find a job in his new field. I have to think of some other ideas for mini rewards along the way.

Anyhow, I'm just rambling now, so I am off to make a menu for the week and a grocery list.

Jill
Old 09-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #209
JacksLilWench
Bloody Pirates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711
Let's continue our journeys to the Happiest Place on Earth.

* Yes, definitely

Have a great Saturday!
Of course its necessary!! I can tell huge difference when I track vs. when I don't- weeks I track, I lose. Weeks I don't track, I gain! I think its definitely the key to permanent loss.

Sorry this entry is so short and sweet, I'm actually posting from my phone :-)
Old 09-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #210
reagansmom
Mouseketeer

QOTD - Yes, I think tracking matters, whether you track calories, or track types of food (like a Paleo or clean lifestyle) because if you are still putting more in than you are working off, you will never get anywhere.

Quick Intro - Hi, I'm Heather, a 39 year old engineer/runner with a great DH and DD. We live in the Finger Lakes NY state region. I started running 2 1/2 years ago and am training for the Tower of Terror 10 Miler this year and the Princess Half next year!!
reagansmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: