Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #1816
ClearScreen
DIS Dad #461
An E-Ticket Attraction in my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokids0204 View Post
Wow Chris, I got chills just reading that. I can't imagine reliving the memories.
As I told you in WDW my company has an office not far from you, and it is the same with them. When it comes to 9/11 it's a very touchy subject, as most of our workers either were, or knew someone personally affected on that tragic day. The only thing we can do now is look forward, with the memories of the victims of this senseless act.

On a side note... Bayley was born April 25, 2002...

My wifes best friend was also preganant at the same time, and had a miscarriage on 9/11.
Thanks Brian. I remember you telling me about Bayley's Birthday. That was really cool. Sorry about your wife's friend.

It is such a weird subject for anyone who was there. Touchy is a good word. Most people I know who were there that day simply won't talk about it. My wife told me she avoided TV all day and when she finally turned it on, they were on the "S" names. She watched to see someone's name she knew then quickly changed the channel so she did not have to watch anymore.

I have friends, and I know they don't mean anything by it, but they will post all the catch phrases, hand out stickers, etc. in a genuine show of sympathy and honor. They used to get a little miffed at me when I would say no thanks or walk away. One friend kept telling everyone how he was supposed to be across the street that day but something came up and he wasn't there. He'd go on and on about it. Finally, one day, another friend of mine told him to knock it off because Chris was there that day and doesn't feel like listening to what almost happened to you.

My Mom even gave me sticker for my car and we told her no thanks. She didn't understand when I told her I didn't feel like looking at it every time I got in my car.

I know how this may sound to some people and I am very sorry. I do not mean to dishonor or offend anyone.
ClearScreen (Chris) - DIS Dad Club Member #461 - Me(44), DW(45), DD(12), DS(9)

1976 - 2 trips stayed off-site. September, 2000 - Wilderness Lodge. August, 2010 - Contemporary. August, 2012 - Swan. August, 2014 - Coronado Springs

Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #1817
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?

Hello guys....

Happy Birthday (belated now) Chris and Sean.

Been keeping a low profile last couple of days, been fighting a seemingly never-ending migrane, so computer's been a bit rough to handle. Then on top of that Amelia came down with an ear infection. We're all still doing the work/school thing though. She should be in a better mood tomorrow though, DW signed her up for Brownies, first meeting tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
Listening to DTunes to get in the mood for Friday.

Ticker check:

3 Days!
Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #1818
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

david the duck must be sleeping in today!!!
good morning!

PROUD DAD OF A DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM DAUGHTER!!! FALL ADVANTAGE 2013 MK-ODF ALUMNI !!!!!
2000+ MILE ROUND TRIP DRIVING THREAD.. DOUBLE DIAMOND DRIVER!

Old 09-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #1819
10dedfish
XBOX: Mattisamus

Morning guys!

Big day for me, have a huge presentation to give and some hands on training after that. Wish me luck!

matt

Matt DW DD (13) DD (7)

DISDAD Experiment #628
Old 09-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #1820
moose615
DIS Veteran

Good morning gents, happy birthday to all that apply, happy hump day, hope everyone is doing good
Old 09-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #1821
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?

Morning....working a day shift less then 12 hours from comming off a night shift is not fun... Today's highlight is processing a $30 000 order, which is the equivilent of yesterday's total sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dedfish View Post
Morning guys!

Big day for me, have a huge presentation to give and some hands on training after that. Wish me luck!

matt
Good luck
Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

Old 09-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #1822
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Good Day Men!

I have a few questions please. Has anyone used Southwest's Express Bag Drop yet, If so how was it? I also asked over in the PUB too, I'd really like an answer.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #1823
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTikiDaddy View Post
Morning....working a day shift less then 12 hours from comming off a night shift is not fun... Today's highlight is processing a $30 000 order, which is the equivilent of yesterday's total sales.

Somebody is having a huge party!

Morning Everyone, Happy Hump Day!!
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #1824
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearScreen View Post
I know how this may sound to some people and I am very sorry. I do not mean to dishonor or offend anyone.
Seriously... I get it. I wasn't even there, and I don't want to relive that day.

No need to apologize at all. I'm sorry you had to go through that experience.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 AM   #1825
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad

Quote:
It's funny, I usually get criticized for saying things like this, but I can't help it. I avoid 9/11 stories and shows almost completely. So does my wife. In fact, we did not mention it once to each other today.
My wife is the same way, Chris (she's from Staten Island, 34 families in her parish lost people). She won't watch any of the recap shows and tears up still when families come on TV. She even gets really upset at movies that keep destroying NYC in action scenes (like the Avengers). I think for many who are so close to it, that wound will never really heal. Thanks for sharing your story.
Chris Dis Dad #403 DW DS(14) DS(13) DD(11)

As Kid: 1978 Polynesian - 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel - Dec 2008 GF/Poly -
Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF - June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT -
Feb 2012 AKL - Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Jan 2014 TBD
Old 09-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #1826
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
Sorry for the following ramble.
Quote:
It's funny, I usually get criticized for saying things like this, but I can't help it. I avoid 9/11 stories and shows almost completely. So does my wife. In fact, we did not mention it once to each other today.

Wow, guys. It's amazing to hear the stories from those who were there. I don't blame you for not wanting to bring it up. They had a retrospective on the other night and starting playing voice mail messages from people in the towers, and I had to change the channel. Just too raw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
In a similar idea and if y’all don’t mind, I’ve got something I’d like to share.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. From what I've seen on TV, I think the memorial is very well-done. Tasteful and appropriate.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #1827
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Quote:
no offense taken at all here. "Touchy" is definitely a fitting word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
Good Day Men!

I have a few questions please. Has anyone used Southwest's Express Bag Drop yet, If so how was it? I also asked over in the PUB too, I'd really like an answer.
We just flew SW at the end of July. SW took our bags at the curb. just showed ID, boarding pass (printed at home), and gave them the bags. They weighed them and we had to shift a couple of things from one bag to another. Aside from shifting that weight, you couldn't really get more "express" than that.

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR In Progress
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!
Our Disney Blog: "Home is Where the Mouse is"

Treguna Mekoides and Trecorum Satis Dee
Old 09-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #1828
RodBelding
DIS Dad #589
We Got The Better Belding
So help me, if you're encouraging any penguin obsession, things are going to get ugly

Morning guys.

13 days until we head down. DD still has no clue, but asks daily about when we can go back to WDW... The plan is still to wake her up at about 4 am right as we need to head to the airport and tell her... I'm hoping it goes well, but a bit nervous at how she'll respond to the surprise of it all (she likes to plan for things, even at 4 yrs old)...
Old 09-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #1829
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmickey View Post
We just flew SW at the end of July. SW took our bags at the curb. just showed ID, boarding pass (printed at home), and gave them the bags. They weighed them and we had to shift a couple of things from one bag to another. Aside from shifting that weight, you couldn't really get more "express" than that.
When we flew with them in June we got to the the airport 1 1/2 hours before our flight. We also did curb check in with the Skycaps, took a half hour and then a hour though security. We barely made our flight.

SW is now advertising the Express Bag Check, from their website:

Follow three simple steps to take advantage of Express Bag Drop:

Arrive at the airport with your boarding pass*. You can get a boarding pass online as early as 24 hours before your flight!
Scan the bar code on your boarding pass at the Express Bag Drop kiosk and indicate the number of bags you are checking.
Show your government-issued photo ID to the Customer Service Agent who will tag your bag so you can be on your way!

Old 09-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #1830
ClearScreen
DIS Dad #461
An E-Ticket Attraction in my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Seriously... I get it. I wasn't even there, and I don't want to relive that day.

No need to apologize at all. I'm sorry you had to go through that experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDadDoc View Post
My wife is the same way, Chris (she's from Staten Island, 34 families in her parish lost people). She won't watch any of the recap shows and tears up still when families come on TV. She even gets really upset at movies that keep destroying NYC in action scenes (like the Avengers). I think for many who are so close to it, that wound will never really heal. Thanks for sharing your story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Wow, guys. It's amazing to hear the stories from those who were there. I don't blame you for not wanting to bring it up. They had a retrospective on the other night and starting playing voice mail messages from people in the towers, and I had to change the channel. Just too raw.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. From what I've seen on TV, I think the memorial is very well-done. Tasteful and appropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmickey View Post
no offense taken at all here. "Touchy" is definitely a fitting word.

THanks guys!
ClearScreen (Chris) - DIS Dad Club Member #461 - Me(44), DW(45), DD(12), DS(9)

1976 - 2 trips stayed off-site. September, 2000 - Wilderness Lodge. August, 2010 - Contemporary. August, 2012 - Swan. August, 2014 - Coronado Springs

Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons.
Closed Thread

Tags
beer, beverly, dad, goofy, man laws

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: