Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #1801
disdadIL
DIS Dad #711
Big Trouble in Little Suburbs
 
disdadIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,527

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki

There are 4 "n"s in Drunken Sconnie.

And usually half a case of PBR or Milwaukee's Best.
Thank you Barry. I was gone all day and was about to pick on him for that! Silly nemie
disdadIL is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #1802
RodBelding
DIS Dad #589
We Got The Better Belding
So help me, if you're encouraging any penguin obsession, things are going to get ugly
 
RodBelding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mass.
Posts: 6,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
Dancing Corn Cob:

Looks like some candy corn snuck in there....
__________________
_______________________________________________
Me (Paul) DW DD DS
RodBelding is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #1803
disdadIL
DIS Dad #711
Big Trouble in Little Suburbs
 
disdadIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,527

Thank you dads for the bday wishes and for remembering those who weren't so lucky to celebrate more birthdays since the big 9-11 day
disdadIL is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #1804
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it
 
afwdwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,961

Since Nate brought up the topic of corn, it's that time of year. Just wish there would be a little more there. Just started and so far yields are about 40% of normal, although as dry as we are it could be worse.



afwdwfan is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #1805
Jousey
Dis Dad #694
All I can think of is a pole dancer
Is there a pill for this condition or do I just keep up the cycle of going to Disney
 
Jousey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miwaukee, Wi
Posts: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki

There are 4 "n"s in Drunken Sconnie.

And usually half a case of PBR or Milwaukee's Best.
Haha
__________________
ME , DW, DS4 & The Dog

Jousey is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #1806
Jousey
Dis Dad #694
All I can think of is a pole dancer
Is there a pill for this condition or do I just keep up the cycle of going to Disney
 
Jousey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miwaukee, Wi
Posts: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan

Only half a case? I thought it would take more of that watered down stuff.
That's just lunch, you forget we start at wake up and go till bed.
__________________
ME , DW, DS4 & The Dog

Jousey is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #1807
Jousey
Dis Dad #694
All I can think of is a pole dancer
Is there a pill for this condition or do I just keep up the cycle of going to Disney
 
Jousey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miwaukee, Wi
Posts: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes

Very moving.
Thanks

In a similar idea and if y’all don’t mind, I’ve got something I’d like to share.

While I was taking a moment or two to reflect on this day, I started thinking about my families experiences in being allowed to see the 9/11 Memorial shortly after it opened. This was in November of last year while we were part of our high school band’s trip to perform in the Macy’s Parade. We spent a couple of hours on the grounds just as the sun was starting to set for the day and that let us see how the memorial itself changes from day to night. I found the experience to be very moving and thought that those that have not yet had the chance to experience it for themselves might just like to see a few images of the memorial. So here goes…
Very cool, I went to ground zero just before 1 yr mark and it was great to see. I have some great pictures and was able to get a few from world financial center across the street looking at the "Wash Tub" that was world trade center tower. I really hope sometime soon I can grace the grounds again and see all that has been done.
__________________
ME , DW, DS4 & The Dog

Jousey is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #1808
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 13,052

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Since Nate brought up the topic of corn, it's that time of year. Just wish there would be a little more there. Just started and so far yields are about 40% of normal, although as dry as we are it could be worse.
.]
Glad you were able to get that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
Have a good afternoon.

You gotta find that IT guy and see if he can screw up on Friday
Really. I'll email and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmickey View Post
11 years ago. Seems like yesterday in some respects, feels like another lifetime in others. Dressing my kids in red, white, and blue today and taking DD to school, I noticed a lot of other kids wearing the same. DD noticed and pointed it out, but never asked why.

Over the weekend, DW was watching something about 9/11 on the National Geographic channel. I usually avoid that stuff, but I got drawn into it. There were a lot of amazing stories of people who survived and how things occurred... but then they got to the part where the first tower fell, and I cried. I couldn't watch it anymore.

In about an hour I'll be heading into the city to work. I'll be sure to stop and thank some of the people that protect us on my way.
Never thought about just how close some of you were. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200 View Post
Sorry for the following ramble.

I spent most of today watching 9-11 programing starting with the rebroadcast of the Today show that morning. I was living in NYC at the time and worked near the towers. Loved going there for lunch, the TKTS booth, and a particular bookstore. Still tough to see some of that coverage.

On 9-11, I was starting a donors' conference in DC when someone told me what happened. That was when the first plane struck. Never forget when my boss broke the news to the attendees who were in the middle of a seminar. Luckily all of my colleagues in NY got out of lower Manhattan safely. Spent a couple of days in DC with a friend then rented a car to drive back. Remember driving over the Verrazano Bridge and see the smoke still rising from the pile. And the many days afterward.

DD visited me in NY that summer (like every summer we were there). One day in mid August we were talking about what to do that weekend and I chose to go to the towers' observation deck. A couple of pictures from that visit.

She was in class in 1st Grade and they put on the TV in her classroom the news coverage. She knew how close my office was and the teacher told me later that she became very quiet. It took an eternity for me to talk to her and tell her I was OK. it was a tough day.
I thought you were a Miami native. I can only imagine what the both of you were going thru. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #1809
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV
 
AirGoofy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 13,052

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
What do you mean till you go home? Computers down, get out of there before someone can fix it.

Woo-Hoo! Party!
I did. I went home ant cut the grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes View Post
While I was taking a moment or two to reflect on this day, I started thinking about my families experiences in being allowed to see the 9/11 Memorial shortly after it opened. This was in November of last year while we were part of our high school band’s trip to perform in the Macy’s Parade. We spent a couple of hours on the grounds just as the sun was starting to set for the day and that let us see how the memorial itself changes from day to night. I found the experience to be very moving and thought that those that have not yet had the chance to experience it for themselves might just like to see a few images of the memorial. So here goes…
]
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDaddy-O View Post
Good afternoon fellas!

Busy weekend trying to get caught up, we are doing a Reno in the house and an trying to get it together before the snow flies around here. Insulation, vapor barrier drywall paint. Hopefully I get some time to work on it this coming week. We have a special dessert here at the restaurant today......

Pumpkin cheesecake. ]
Ymmmmmm........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post

Scarlett. The actress who played Scarlett also played the Orion in the last Star Trek movie. Rachel Nichols is her name, not the ESPN anchor.
That is 3 votes for Scarlett and two for Baroness.
__________________
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #1810
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one
 
declansdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 19,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDaddy-O View Post
Pumpkin cheesecake. Tastes like a pumpkin pie but creamy like a cheesecake. Topped with whipped cream, caramel and crushed ginger snap cookies. Yum!

Man that looks good.
__________________
Darcy
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr




declansdad is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #1811
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one
 
declansdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 19,751

Thanks for the stories and pictures of the memorial and of the towers. They are all incredible.

I still remember seeing the second hit on tv and not reallu recognizing what was going on. Something I don't think I will ever forget.
__________________
Darcy
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr




declansdad is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #1812
Jousey
Dis Dad #694
All I can think of is a pole dancer
Is there a pill for this condition or do I just keep up the cycle of going to Disney
 
Jousey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miwaukee, Wi
Posts: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj9200
Sorry for the following ramble.

I spent most of today watching 9-11 programing starting with the rebroadcast of the Today show that morning. I was living in NYC at the time and worked near the towers. Loved going there for lunch, the TKTS booth, and a particular bookstore. Still tough to see some of that coverage.

On 9-11, I was starting a donors' conference in DC when someone told me what happened. That was when the first plane struck. Never forget when my boss broke the news to the attendees who were in the middle of a seminar. Luckily all of my colleagues in NY got out of lower Manhattan safely. Spent a couple of days in DC with a friend then rented a car to drive back. Remember driving over the Verrazano Bridge and see the smoke still rising from the pile. And the many days afterward.

DD visited me in NY that summer (like every summer we were there). One day in mid August we were talking about what to do that weekend and I chose to go to the towers' observation deck. A couple of pictures from that visit.

The building I worked in is the second from the left

She was in class in 1st Grade and they put on the TV in her classroom the news coverage. She knew how close my office was and the teacher told me later that she became very quiet. It took an eternity for me to talk to her and tell her I was OK. it was a tough day.
This has almost put me in tears. 1 because the pictures of the observation deck bring me back to my many visits and how my children will never experience that and because I sat and watched the coverage that day knowing my family could have been working at World trade center plaza or there with visiting friends. When we got the news my uncle was to at the tower and everyone was safe in long island I was relieved. That day my DM came home at 9am central time, and said the building she worked in Milwaukee was shut down because they still didn't know if there was more to come. I can remember that day, I got called by Flight For Life Milwaukee TI be given the news after working children's flight crew all night. And then to spend the evening with my boys at the fire house talking about packing an ambulance at headed to ground Zero, we never left that night and I don't really know why. But this day will go down as one of the worst in my life. Because of the feeling it brings up and the lost of so much great history and discovery with the Twin Towers. In my home office there are two pictures of the Twin towers one a photo and one an architectural drawing of the towers, next to that is a 8X10 of the fire fighters raising the flag in the ruble. DW is 6 yrs younger then me and is amazed at my reaction every time some thing comes up about it and sits in amazement when I talk about my experiences at the world trade center and the 1 year anniversary trip I took.
I just have such great memories of the towers and I can imagine how I will explain it to my kids.
__________________
ME , DW, DS4 & The Dog

Jousey is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #1813
Jousey
Dis Dad #694
All I can think of is a pole dancer
Is there a pill for this condition or do I just keep up the cycle of going to Disney
 
Jousey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miwaukee, Wi
Posts: 922

Sorry for the above ramble but I have not been able to talk to anyone all day and it is just such a sad day for me, I usually work so I don't have to really think about it.
So I am began ing to wonder about our office staff this is day two of no real emails being sent out, I know they were all here the last two days but no one sent any emails and Mon and Tuesday are big email days around here. It is very weird but I will move on.
Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and pictures of 9-11, it is great to see how it is a national day of remembrance.
__________________
ME , DW, DS4 & The Dog

Jousey is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #1814
ClearScreen
DIS Dad #461
An E-Ticket Attraction in my own mind
 
ClearScreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chappaqua, NY
Posts: 1,201

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmickey View Post
I usually avoid that stuff, but I got drawn into it. There were a lot of amazing stories of people who survived and how things occurred... but then they got to the part where the first tower fell, and I cried. I couldn't watch it anymore.
It's funny, I usually get criticized for saying things like this, but I can't help it. I avoid 9/11 stories and shows almost completely. So does my wife. In fact, we did not mention it once to each other today.

Nobody in my office mentioned it either and we had a normal Tuesday work day. Thinking about it, it is really amazing that I did not hear one person in an office of 70 mention that today was 9/11. Not that we are callous, or not paying our tributes and respects. We work a few blocks from where it happened and it is a subject that is simply not discussed. To this day, I have not gone to the memorial and will go out of my way to avoid walking past it. Many in my office are the same way.

I know my wife won't talk about it and changes the channel when something comes on. Here's why and it's a story I don't share often - we were there that day. My pregnant wife and I were on our way to work when it happened. We got off the 4/5 subway at City Hall and stood in City Hall Park watching the north tower burning like gawking tourists. Two blocks away. She could not get to work because her building was damaged and Broadway was closed. She came to Court with me because I did not want to be late, our cell phones were not working and we had no idea what happened. We thought a commuter plane or helicopter crashed.

When someone said the towers fell, we did not believe them because from our angle we could still see the north tower. We walked to Grand Central from lower Manhattan to wait for a train to go home. We still had no idea what happened and thought it was a panic over nothing. Then we saw the dust and the fighter jets circling Manhattan. We saw people handing out free water and others proclaiming it was the end of the world. When we finally got to Grand Central, it was closed. We went to my brother-in-law's office and finally, 2-3 hours later, we found out what happened. Then the phones started ringing. You mostly heard good news, but then you'd hear someone scream and cry and knew what they just heard. I still get chills thinking about that.

We caught the first train out of NYC.

My wife was supposed to have a meeting at 10:00 that day with a co-worker who was trampled in the crowd and died a few days later.

Our daughter was born April 26, 2002. My wife never returned to work. Her old office did not re-open until June/July of 2002.
__________________
ClearScreen (Chris) - DIS Dad Club Member #461 - Me(44), DW(45), DD(12), DS(9)

1976 - 2 trips stayed off-site. September, 2000 - Wilderness Lodge. August, 2010 - Contemporary. August, 2012 - Swan. August, 2014 - Coronado Springs

Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates? Morons.
ClearScreen is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #1815
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?
 
twokids0204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North of Toronto - Canada
Posts: 12,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearScreen View Post
It's funny, I usually get criticized for saying things like this, but I can't help it. I avoid 9/11 stories and shows almost completely. So does my wife. In fact, we did not mention it once to each other today.

Nobody in my office mentioned it either and we had a normal Tuesday work day. Thinking about it, it is really amazing that I did not hear one person in an office of 70 mention that today was 9/11. Not that we are callous, or not paying our tributes and respects. We work a few blocks from where it happened and it is a subject that is simply not discussed. To this day, I have not gone to the memorial and will go out of my way to avoid walking past it. Many in my office are the same way.

I know my wife won't talk about it and changes the channel when something comes on. Here's why and it's a story I don't share often - we were there that day. My pregnant wife and I were on our way to work when it happened. We got off the 4/5 subway at City Hall and stood in City Hall Park watching the north tower burning like gawking tourists. Two blocks away. She could not get to work because her building was damaged and Broadway was closed. She came to Court with me because I did not want to be late, our cell phones were not working and we had no idea what happened. We thought a commuter plane or helicopter crashed.

When someone said the towers fell, we did not believe them because from our angle we could still see the north tower. We walked to Grand Central from lower Manhattan to wait for a train to go home. We still had no idea what happened and thought it was a panic over nothing. Then we saw the dust and the fighter jets circling Manhattan. We saw people handing out free water and others proclaiming it was the end of the world. When we finally got to Grand Central, it was closed. We went to my brother-in-law's office and finally, 2-3 hours later, we found out what happened. Then the phones started ringing. You mostly heard good news, but then you'd hear someone scream and cry and knew what they just heard. I still get chills thinking about that.

We caught the first train out of NYC.

My wife was supposed to have a meeting at 10:00 that day with a co-worker who was trampled in the crowd and died a few days later.

Our daughter was born April 26, 2002. My wife never returned to work. Her old office did not re-open until June/July of 2002.
Wow Chris, I got chills just reading that. I can't imagine reliving the memories.
As I told you in WDW my company has an office not far from you, and it is the same with them. When it comes to 9/11 it's a very touchy subject, as most of our workers either were, or knew someone personally affected on that tragic day. The only thing we can do now is look forward, with the memories of the victims of this senseless act.



On a side note... Bayley was born April 25, 2002...

My wifes best friend was also preganant at the same time, and had a miscarriage on 9/11.
__________________
1982 - Off Site * 1996 - Off Site * 1998 - All Star Sports * 2009 - Pop Century * 2010 - Pop Century * 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
twokids0204 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
beer, beverly, dad, goofy, man laws



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: