Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #1636
moose615
DIS Veteran

DD had a nightmare and I cannot go back to bed, been thinking about DVC lately , wanted to get some of the dads thoughts on the pros and cons, Norms given me some advice about it, still thinking about it, any thoughts and help would e great
Old 09-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #1637
10dedfish
XBOX: Mattisamus

Morning Guys... Its Monday again. Not looking forward to this week, will be on travel again. Have to give a 1.5 hr speech to a bunch of very senior peers. Not looking forward to it at all.

Matt

Matt DW DD (13) DD (7)

DISDAD Experiment #628
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #1638
10dedfish
XBOX: Mattisamus

So, I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Academy....ok that probably wont happen, but I would like to quote Mark Twain for my 1000th post.

" I was born humble, but I've mostly grown out of it."

Happy Monday Guys!

Matt

Matt DW DD (13) DD (7)

DISDAD Experiment #628
Old 09-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #1639
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose615 View Post
DD had a nightmare and I cannot go back to bed, been thinking about DVC lately , wanted to get some of the dads thoughts on the pros and cons, Norms given me some advice about it, still thinking about it, any thoughts and help would e great
We bought 4-5 years ago and never regretted it. We committed to going once every 1-2 years and our family was getting big for a standard hotel room (with 3 kids). The suites are amazing and a great way to vacation. At the time, we figured that after 7-8 trips, we'd break even in terms of cost (think of it like a pre-paid vacation rather than a time share). The math has changed a bit now that Disney is offering more suite type options for cheaper costs, but I still think its probably a good deal for new buyers. Good luck!
Chris DisDad#403
Me DW DS(15) DS(14) DD(12)

As Kid: 1978 & 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel -
Dec 2008 GF/Poly - Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF -
June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT - Feb 2012 AKL -
Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Mar 2015 GF VC
Old 09-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #1640
moose615
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDadDoc

We bought 4-5 years ago and never regretted it. We committed to going once every 1-2 years and our family was getting big for a standard hotel room (with 3 kids). The suites are amazing and a great way to vacation. At the time, we figured that after 7-8 trips, we'd break even in terms of cost (think of it like a pre-paid vacation rather than a time share). The math has changed a bit now that Disney is offering more suite type options for cheaper costs, but I still think its probably a good deal for new buyers. Good luck!
Thank you for the info, what I'm trying to determine is if it's a good idea when it's pretty much just me and DD, if I meet a woman with a kid I can see it def being worth it but right now with just me and DD prob for the next few trips not so sure it's fully worth it right now
Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #1641
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Morning guys,

Still trying to get used to being at home after all the travels. May just chill a bit. Of course there are bills to pay and I need to get food in the house. Cleaning can wait until tomorrow.

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the nightmare. Semi related, saw Monsters Inc. the other day. Still a funny movie.

DVC is not for everyone but it was for us. You are basically buying into pre-paid vacations. Bought in '96 when DD was about two. Have had many vacations and lots of memories over the years. As an example, we would not have gone to Hawaii without DVC. More than worth the money we spent. But we did buy when points were relatively cheap.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #1642
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?

Morning guys....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDaddy-O View Post
This conversation makes me incredibly sad.
Lots of times cheering for them makes me feel incredibly sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
Really? POP is the worst resort we've stayed in. The long, filled to brim bus rides and walk back to room was bad.
Never minded the buses the way they are. Always another one comming if one is full. Only once did we have a substantial wait, at AK, mid-afternoon, but a torrental downpour drove everyone out of the park, so busier then normal for that time.

We've lucked out most times for the walks. Oddly enough, my favorite stay was the furthest walk, way back in the 80's. It was a bit far to go to the main hall, but we just cut across the parking lot to get to the bus.

Obviously, I haven't stayed very many places to compare it to. That's why we are changing it up next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Good night everyone! Been lurking here all day.

Lovely shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dedfish View Post
So, I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Academy....ok that probably wont happen, but I would like to quote Mark Twain for my 1000th post.

Happy Monday Guys!

Matt
Congrats on the 1K

Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

Old 09-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #1643
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Thank you for the info, what I'm trying to determine is if it's a good idea when it's pretty much just me and DD, if I meet a woman with a kid I can see it def being worth it but right now with just me and DD prob for the next few trips not so sure it's fully worth it right now
You do get benefit of just the two of you, plus she gets lower ticket and food prices for the next few years. I agree with Chris - DVC isn't an investment - it is a pre-paid vacation for room only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmickey View Post
BCV was nice, but I would have preferred BWV this past trip. The studio was bigger than BLT or what I remember of the BWV studio. The condition of the room was not horrible, but could have been better. We had a partial view of Spaceship Earth, and we could watch the fireworks portion of Illuminations from our balcony.

The downside was that we found ourselves wanting to be on the other side of the lake. It was a PITA to walk around and back with the two kids. If we did BCV again I would make a point to avoid going over to the BW side and keep our ADRs on the yacht and beach club side.
I want to try SAB. That's the only reason I want to stay at BCV. Done all the dining options except Beaches n Cream (BCV) & Kouzzina (BWV). We are getting close to where we have tried mist every restaurant once, and are identifying our favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jousey View Post
My path was CBRx2 - pop - SSR. Bought at AKV but yet to stay there.
AKV is nice. We had Kidani, Savanna View, close to the end that is closest to Jambo House. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Good night everyone! Been lurking here all day. ]
Another great photo.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #1644
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballmickey View Post
would love to own at both of those!! BLT was awesome!! Spoiled us by being able to walk over to MK, or take the monorail to epcot. We hadn't taken the monorail to epcot in a very long time.
Lots of resale contracts there right now. I've been considering adding more points for 1BR stays, but cannot afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
We've never had that problem there. We have had full busses bit had that at every resort we stayed at. I also found the rides to fairly quick. The longest rides we ever had was the one stay at All Star Movies.
We did ASMusic & ASsports and buses were both long and crowded.

Quote:
Well she gets off work at 5 so there's a good chance we may run into y'all then too, DD and my mom are planning on staying at the hotel at night checking out the poolside movie so Sunday night it'll just be my friend Alexis and myself
Text me while you're there if you have a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
Now CBR we really didn't like and thought the bus ride just around the resort was terrible. The walking from the room to the main building was much longer than at Pop.
It was a long ride. We stayed near Port Royale, so it was great for us.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 09-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #1645
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!

Going to dentist for cleaning today.
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Old 09-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #1646
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Morning Gents!

Going to be a busy week here for me, meetings all week, soccer tryouts and basketball skills camp for DS, soccer games for me and a board meeting on Saturday. Going to be fun.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 09-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #1647
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwest View Post
DA BEARS!

That is all.
All I could help but notice was the fact that the Colts "revamped offensive line" isn't even as good as the old one.

I guess I could say the same for the QB too...

Peyton looked like Peyton last night. I'm happy for him. Go Broncos!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #1648
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Wow. I managed to get 3 games correct in the DIS Dads pick-em league. I'm letting my kids pick for the rest of the year.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #1649
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10dedfish View Post

Happy Monday Guys!

Matt
Congrats on 1k Matt...

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS9
Member #561
Old 09-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #1650
RodBelding
DIS Dad #589
We Got The Better Belding
So help me, if you're encouraging any penguin obsession, things are going to get ugly

Morning guys.

Quote:
Quote:
We bought in 2 years ago, and are happy with it. If you know you will go at least once every 2 years, and you can swing the big upfront payment, it can be a good deal. We basically looked at it as guaranteeing vacations for ourselves for next 50 years...
Closed Thread

Tags
beer, beverly, dad, goofy, man laws

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: