Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
BlueBayou
Stop trolling, and reel 'er in!

We just got a Volt - now we need to charge!

Hi!

We have a trip planned for October - and we bought a Volt today. We are booked into the Clarion on Harbor. Any EV owners know of a nearby place to charge? I see Mickey and Friends and other pay lots have stations - but there is no way paying for parking is worth it for the charge.

Our Oct 2009 Dream trip with bumps in the road

Has WDW changed since 1976? - POFQ Oct '09 Pre-Trippie

WDW 2 times in '70's & Oct '09, Disneyland '79, '99, '00, April '01, '02, Dec. '04, June '05, Dec '05, Oct. '06, Oct. '07, Oct. '08, May '10, Oct 11, Oct 12, Oct 13

Last edited by BlueBayou; 08-26-2012 at 02:59 PM.
BlueBayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
BlueBayou

Yikes - I am beginning to think we might not find an easy place to charge it.

WDW 2 times in '70's & Oct '09, Disneyland '79, '99, '00, April '01, '02, Dec. '04, June '05, Dec '05, Oct. '06, Oct. '07, Oct. '08, May '10, Oct 11, Oct 12, Oct 13
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Mr Snappy
Kansas DisneyLand Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post
Yikes - I am beginning to think we might not find an easy place to charge it.
You know, I had a real smart-a response to this post, and then I realized that I don't know you or the situation around your vehicle choice....so I deleted it.

I would recommend you rent a car....a practical one that can be refuled anywhere...for this trip. It might be a little unrealistic to expect an electric charging station convienently placed everywhere you want to go....even in "progressive" California.

Also, thanks for reminding me once again why electric cars are pretty much worthless.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
pharmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Snappy

You know, I had a real smart-a response to this post, and then I realized that I don't know you or the situation around your vehicle choice....so I deleted it.

I would recommend you rent a car....a practical one that can be refuled anywhere...for this trip. It might be a little unrealistic to expect an electric charging station convienently placed everywhere you want to go....even in "progressive" California.

Also, thanks for reminding me once again why electric cars are pretty much worthless.
The Volt is a plug in hybrid and can be operated WITHOUT charging (and I think still gets upper 30sMPG).

Their car is neither worthless nor impractical.

OP- I don't know what you may or may not already have booked but if you buy park tickets through AAA I believe parking in Mickey & Friends is included for same as gate ticket prices.

How badly do you want to charge it?

Disneyland many times as a child, now sharing the magic with my children....
Disneyland 5K 2014 (as Lilo & DD9 as Stitch), Disneyland 10K 2014 (dressed as Jessie)
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon 2009 & 2010 (dressed as Jessie)
Disney Dream 5nt Double Dip, July 2012.
pharmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
BlueBayou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Snappy View Post

The Volt in NOT electric only. It can also run similar to a Prius (gas and regenerative power) - the difference is can go about 38 miles on electric alone. Great for in town work commutes. We have the ability to charge at work and at home. That is what this car was purchased for.

So we don't NEED to charge it in California. The point of my post was to find out if there is a convenient place nearby to charge. If we were staying onsite or a few of the convention area hotels - we would have access. I see that many Walgreens in CA our outfitted with stations - that seems like an odd fit to me. People don't stay at Walgreens that long, do they?

Old 08-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post

So we don't NEED to charge it in California. The point of my post was to find out if there is a convenient place nearby to charge. If we were staying onsite or a few of the convention area hotels - we would have access. I see that many Walgreens in CA our outfitted with stations - that seems like an odd fit to me. People don't stay at Walgreens that long, do they?
How long does it take to charge? One of our local bookstores has a free charging station out front and I've always been curious as to how long someone would have to spend in there in order to charge their car.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego, September 2014 - Halloween Party! - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort

starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
BlueBayou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmama View Post
How badly do you want to charge it?
Not too bad.We just want to road test it on a trip. It's our new toy. We keep our cars forever. It's 'replacing' a 2001 van that we are still holding on to - because it has so little resale value and it still works for us if we need to haul groups of kids. But we were spending way too much on gas driving 3 people daily to and from school and work.

Our tickets were purchased from GetAwayToday when they were offering the lower price for about a month after the Disney ticket increase. So not parking option there

Old 08-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine514 View Post
How long does it take to charge? One of our local bookstores has a free charging station out front and I've always been curious as to how long someone would have to spend in there in order to charge their car.
ABout 4 hours....
Malcon10t is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
BlueBayou

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine514 View Post
We have only had our overnight - so I am no expert. But my understanding is if you are using a 240 outlet (like most charging stations would be) 2 1/2-3 hours. At home using a regular outlet - more in the neighborhood of 8 to 12 hours.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

OP, your post reminded me that I thought I had seen an EV charging station on the ground level of the Paradise Pier parking building. So I googled it and it did come up here: http://www.southerncalcars.com/ev-el...s/anaheim.aspx

It shows that they actually have charging stations at Paradise Pier and the Disneyland Hotel. I have seen the ones at Paradise Pier myself.

This site says they do have charging stations at Mickey and Friends and gives the approximate location: http://www.recargo.com/sites/3663

Just in case others are looking for EV charging stations in the future.

Enjoy your Volt!
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
KateDrake
DIS Veteran

I don't actually know much about this, other than my dad never has trouble finding a place to charge his hybrid when he's in Cali.

The reason I'm posting is that I wonder if there is a smart phone app that helps you find charging stations? Something like that could be really valuable! I have an "Around Me" app that shows all the nearby ATMs, gas stations, pharmacies, etc. So it seems reasonable that someone has come up with something similar for charging stations? Just a thought, might be worth looking in to!

Hope you have a great trip!
KateDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
dana278
Mouseketeer

I don't have a Volt, so I don't know anything about charging a car, but I did a quick Google search and came up with these Walgreens locations:

http://carstations.com/17361
http://carstations.com/17373
http://carstations.com/17356

But since someone said that a charge needs several hours, that might not be practical. Maybe one of them has a restaurant within walking distance where you can grab dinner? Or possibly a grocery store if you need to pick up a few things at the same time.

There MIGHT be one Main Place Mall at 2800 North Main Street in Santa Ana, but the page I just saw that on must be very outdated because they said it's in the Robinsons-May North garage. Robinsons hasn't been in business since 2006! It'd probably be easier to spend that time at the mall! (Unfortunately it's not the best mall, but there seem to be a handful of restaurants around the area and there's a Barnes & Noble across the street.)
dana278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
tinkermomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl View Post
OP, your post reminded me that I thought I had seen an EV charging station on the ground level of the Paradise Pier parking building. So I googled it and it did come up here: http://www.southerncalcars.com/ev-el...s/anaheim.aspx

It shows that they actually have charging stations at Paradise Pier and the Disneyland Hotel. I have seen the ones at Paradise Pier myself.

This site says they do have charging stations at Mickey and Friends and gives the approximate location: http://www.recargo.com/sites/3663

Just in case others are looking for EV charging stations in the future.

Enjoy your Volt!
To add to this, I was going to say, they are definitely going to have them in the parking lots. We have them in many of the parking lots where I live and even though it's a tourist town it is 1/100th as visited as DLR.

Congrats on your Volt. You are going to save crazy amounts of $$$$$. We only have a prius but save a ton on gas and love it. I have to say every time I see an EV station though, I say to myself "next time", great choice!!
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
~Uncle Walter
tinkermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
BlueBayou

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermomma View Post
We only have a prius but save a ton on gas and love it. I have to say every time I see an EV station though, I say to myself "next time", great choice!!
Thanks for the support! Our other car is a 2005 Prius. I LOVE it. I hope to hold on to it for another 4 or 5 years. Who knows what other cars will be available then - but I plan to replace it with another Prius.

It's funny - when we got our Prius, there were not that many around. In my area the Prius drivers actually waved at each other - because there were so few around. That ended after about a year, when they were more common.

We have done the math - and because we have had our Prius so long, we have made up the price difference of buying a less expensive similarly sized vehicle in terms of gas costs and then some. It was a gamble going in - because we had no way of knowing if gas prices would stay as high as they have for as long as they have.

We will see how this Volt goes. But it does seem fun and surprisingly sporty to drive. My DH would LOVE to have a sports car - but is more practical and environmentally concerned - so this seemed like a good choice for him. If he didn't have a wife and kids....

Old 08-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

I have nothing useful to add to this except for that I didn't realize that even when battery operated that the Volt only gets 38mpg. I have a Prius and love my 50+ mpg.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: