Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer

Things to make sure you have when heading to the world with a toddler!!!

I am making my list of things to make sure not to forget when heading to the World with my 2 year old this fall.

With that said what were some things you absolutely were thankful you had with you or things you wish you would have remembered?

Things already on my list:

- drink straps and snack cups straps that attach to the stroller so I am not constantly bending down to pick of sippy cups or snack cups.
- smock/large bib to cover up clothes at meals
- 1st aid kit
- wrist bands with parent and child info on them

Thanks a ton!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!

Wrist bands around the ankle worked for us at that age, that way they can't get them off over their shoes LOL

-Tide pen for spills and stains that get past the bib
-Definitely a lot of wipes
-Small first aid kit (you can make one out of a travel soap container, it'll hold some bandaids of different sizes and a tube of neosporin). A small fall and scrape to the knee doesn't really require a trip to the first aid in the park but it's nice to be able to clean it and put a bandaid on it
-Travel toilet seat covers or some clorox wipes for the bathrooms. Some people have even mentioned taking the small 1/2 size post its to put over the automatic flusher if your toddler is scared of toilets flushing while they are still on them LOL
-sun hat, sunscreen and a few pair of cheap toddler sunglasses (so you don't fret if you lose them). Disney usually has some toddler size sunglasses for $2.00 a pair....you could stock up
-Something to keep their attention while you're standing in line. I've heard of people taking bubbles but that might irritate the person in line next to you. Maybe a couple of dollar toys from the dollar store or something.
-a travel step stool for your hotel room bathroom sink. They sell fold up ones at Bed Bath and Beyond, Marshalls and a few other places. It really comes in handy when your toddler needs to brush teeth, wash hands or their face...etc. That way you're not having to pick them up every time they need to use the hotel sink
-stroller cover, stroller fan
-shoes that dry out fast, or Crocs that won't get stinky if they get wet.
-ziploc bags for extra snacks you have, or leftover cookies and rice krispie treats that you get at CS meals. We had a lot of desserts left, but I knew they'd want something just hours later so I would put them in a ziplock. Sometimes the cookies weren't even touched at the meal...or the Mickey rice krispie treat would only have an ear bit off LOL.

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Krabby Patty
Earning My Ears

Going with a 16 month old in January...

1) disposable placemats
2) hand sanitzer
3) diaper clutch with diapers/wipes/disposable changing pad
4) sunscreen stick
5) water bottle top that makes it like a sippy

That's all I can think of right now...
Krabby Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
LazyDaisy
Mouseketeer

A towel or three. Useful for all sorts of things, from drink spills to rain on stroller seats to general cleaning of messes, when paper napkins/wipes just aren't doing the trick.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
OldGrizzly57
Grumpy Old Bear!

PATIENCE!

Seriously... the patience as an adult to understand that a 2 yo doesn't really care about riding every ride and seeing every attraction. As a parent the most important thing you need to be able to do is STOP and watch the ducks for 15 minutes. Ducks is an example of course... there are LOTS of things a 2 yo will think are a hoot and you will be standing around shaking your head wondering why you had to come to Disney to see. When the little one gets those 15 minute interludes they will then be ready for the next queue.

Good Luck!

Griz
OldGrizzly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Jake06
Earning My Ears

We just spent 11 days in WDW with a special needs 5 year old. An ipod in the Fisher Price case was a lifesaver! He watched movies while we were waiting to be served at TS, while waiting for parades, in lines and when he finished eating before us. I used a drink strap to attach it so he could not throw it. The best thing I threw in at the last minute. The original intent was for the plane ride.
Jake06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake06 View Post
We just spent 11 days in WDW with a special needs 5 year old. An ipod in the Fisher Price case was a lifesaver! He watched movies while we were waiting to be served at TS, while waiting for parades, in lines and when he finished eating before us. I used a drink strap to attach it so he could not throw it. The best thing I threw in at the last minute. The original intent was for the plane ride.
Good call... I have one of those holders. I am going to go put it up in the Disney bin right now.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
TxDisFanatic
Earning My Ears

Color wonder coloring books and markers. We pull them out at meals, lines, waiting for parades. They work great! I have a little one that cant ride some of the rides big brother, and sister can and she loves to sit and color while waiting.
TxDisFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
CrunchyMamatoKandH
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmouse View Post
I am making my list of things to make sure not to forget when heading to the World with my 2 year old this fall.

With that said what were some things you absolutely were thankful you had with you or things you wish you would have remembered?

Things already on my list:

- drink straps and snack cups straps that attach to the stroller so I am not constantly bending down to pick of sippy cups or snack cups.
- smock/large bib to cover up clothes at meals
- 1st aid kit
- wrist bands with parent and child info on them

Thanks a ton!
Where do you get the wrist bands with parent and child info? That's a great idea!

I seriously LOVE this forum!! I'm getting so many useful tips I never would've thought of on my own
CrunchyMamatoKandH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
PosadaGirl519
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabby Patty View Post
Going with a 16 month old in January...

1) disposable placemats
2) hand sanitzer
3) diaper clutch with diapers/wipes/disposable changing pad
4) sunscreen stick
5) water bottle top that makes it like a sippy

That's all I can think of right now...
There are a lot of other great things I throw in the bag but these are my essentials:

For dining:
Those disposable place mats are great! I found new ones at Walmart that came with stickers which keeps DD21m entertained for at least 30 minutes. Throw in a coloring book and pray for a good mood and I may actually get to eat a hot meal.
Toddler utensils.
A pack of disposable sippy cups.

Skip-hop. I can leave the diaper bag with DH and just carry everything I need to change a baby/toddler.

I got my info bracelets from Mabels Labels. http://www.mabelslabels.com/ It has "Mommy phone (###)###-####" and "Daddy phone (###)###-####" on it.

March 1985 OP
, March 1988 OP, March 1991 OP, Christmas 1993 OP, January 1999 OP, March 2005 OP, August 2008 AllSS, May 2009 '29th Birthday Celebration' POR, December 2009 'Fairy Tale Wedding' AKL, November 2011 'Quinn's 1st Birthday' SSTHV , March 2013 'Kennedy's 1st Birthday' BWV, October 2013 'Cary's 35th Birthday Present'
PosadaGirl519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMamatoKandH View Post
Where do you get the wrist bands with parent and child info? That's a great idea!

I seriously LOVE this forum!! I'm getting so many useful tips I never would've thought of on my own
http://www.amazon.com/Kenson-Kids-KP...d+id+bracelets

I got these. You can write the info in. One bracelet will last a few days.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
BMMAA
Earning My Ears

Hi! I just bought tattoos from http://www.safetytat.com/. They came out super cute and I will apply them to the underside of my toddler's arm (so it doesn't show up in pictures, but will be easy to spot if need be). I thought she might try to take the bracelets off.

Thanks to all for the wonderful tips!
BMMAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
shelbyf31
Mouseketeer

We took our 4 year old and 1 year old in January. Disposable sippy cups were great. At the end of the day I just tossed them out. Then I didn't have to do dishes. Snacks. One morning we got stuck on a bus, because of the marathon, and missed our breakfast reservation. Luckily I had a quart size bag of cheerios. Prevented any meltdowns.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #14
ABtwinmommy
Mouseketeer

I took my 2yo twins in March. Kinda silly, but battery powered glow sticks by energizer were seriously a lifesaver every night while leaving the parks and travelling back to the hotel when my kids were on the verge of meltdown. I will certainly be digging them out and bringing them again this year.

Also, stainless steel thermos-type sippy cups~ kept their drinks from boiling in the heat, in harmful chemical-laden plastic.
Planning next trip to my happy place ~ Jan/Feb 2014-CR/BC
ABtwinmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
heather13
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGrizzly57 View Post
PATIENCE!

Seriously... the patience as an adult to understand that a 2 yo doesn't really care about riding every ride and seeing every attraction. As a parent the most important thing you need to be able to do is STOP and watch the ducks for 15 minutes. Ducks is an example of course... there are LOTS of things a 2 yo will think are a hoot and you will be standing around shaking your head wondering why you had to come to Disney to see. When the little one gets those 15 minute interludes they will then be ready for the next queue.

Good Luck!

Griz
Yeah, that! We spent the first hour at Disney in the play area of Toontown. At first I didn't mind, then I was griping that we could have saved several thousand dollars and done this at home, then DH reminded me how much fun the kids were having - that's the most important thing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: