Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Zobie
Mouseketeer

Footwear advice?

Hi All You Brilliant, Knowledgeable and Kinds DIS Geniuses Out There! (Like my sappy greeting?

My DH has a high arch that makes the tops of many shoes too restricting. His foot is also a bit on the wide side. We went to DL this past July and he wore Walmart tennis shoes . He has never had foot soreness issues before that, but after two days in the parks as the self-designated fast-pass runner, his legs were swollen and sore for two weeks. I am no help, while I have found my perfect shoe, my feet are so flat you have to rock me in the shower to get me unstuck . My DS (8) has his father's feet but has age and being spoiled on his side, so I am hoping that I may get a double bonus from your responses for his footwear as well.

I would LOVE and very much appreciate any help from others with his type of foot. We are not going until this Feb 2013 so I have plenty of time to torture him/them with the home shoe store try on.

Thanks all in advance for any ideas or reports on what has worked for you.

Zoe
(AKA Oklahoma Disney Lover with only cows, and a myriad of critters as neighbors)
Zobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

I don't know about the high arch, but I wore these back in August and my feet felt real good....

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...b?dimensions=0

I actually mixed in a pair of standard cross-trainers with these, sometimes would wear the Merrell during the day and switch to the sneakers at night or vice-versa.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Zobie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAN View Post
I don't know about the high arch, but I wore these back in August and my feet felt real good....

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Prod...b?dimensions=0

I actually mixed in a pair of standard cross-trainers with these, sometimes would wear the Merrell during the day and switch to the sneakers at night or vice-versa.
Thanks GAN! 1st entry on the footwear quest list!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Strawberry's mom&dad
DIS Veteran

After my first visit to WDW and very sore feet, I went to a running shoe store. Fleet Feet. They measure your feet sitting then standing, analyze how you walk and then suggest a good fitting pair of shoes. They carry walking shoes too! My next trip to WDW my feet were happy.

Strawberry's mom&dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

If your son (and DH) have very high arches they may never find a perfect fit in a shoe. My advice would be to go to a good running store and find the best fit possible, and then insert a really good orthotic for arch support. I recently did this and was amazed at the difference. My arches are high, though not overly so. After trying several different orthotics to see which provided the most comfort, I ended up with a pair of Body Science foot strengthening orthotics. The nice thing about these is they can be removed from my walking shoes and inserted in any of my other flat heeled shoes. They really helped a lot.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry's mom&dad View Post
After my first visit to WDW and very sore feet, I went to a running shoe store. Fleet Feet. They measure your feet sitting then standing, analyze how you walk and then suggest a good fitting pair of shoes. They carry walking shoes too! My next trip to WDW my feet were happy.
DITTO!! Go to a GOOD store for running shoes and get fitted. His feet and all the other joints will love you for it! I also so to Fleet Feet (in TN).
Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
Zobie
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for the feedback! Much appreciated!!!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
MolonLabe
DTOM

Some people can get away with inexpensive shoes and some cannot.

There was a great article on runners and their injuries being directly proportionate to how much they spent on shows. In that study, the more you spent, the more like the injuries were. Counterintuitive I know.

Anyway, Last trip I bought a new pair of new balance shoes (I don't recall the name, a mid line NB runner/cross trainer, about $75 before my discount) two weeks before the trip and broke them in.

It was so nice having fresh shoes.

Since then, I've developed some heel pain (planter fascitis) and now I wear Asics Gel Nimbus. The difference is amazing. So much more comfy. Down side, $139 on Amazon (about the cheapest place around, even with a discount locally).

I'll be buying a new pair of these before the trip and breaking them in. I want a spare pair of shoes in case one pair gets drenched.

Foot wear is so important, don't skimp. Inserts can do wonders too. That machine that tests your feet actually works. I'm pretty sure it's a money back guarantee on it, give it a try.

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #9
Mrbruin2k
Earning My Ears

Nike Air Max 2012. Great support for arch, feel like walking on air. Also are light and are a mesh top so they breathe well
2011 - Polynesian
2012 - Beach Club
2013 - Aulani
2013 - BLT
2014 - Villas Grand Floridian
2014 - BLT

Mrbruin2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:30 AM   #10
smallworldnh
Mouseketeer

On the recommendation of people on DIS - I ended up alternating between Crocs and Teva Mush and it saved my feet! I have plantar faciitis in both feet and have problems with sneakers (except for New Balance). I have two different Crocs, Patricia slides and Capri flip flops. I highly recommend!
smallworldnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
Catrin
Taking my Kids - one kid at a time!

I will never forget the first trip I wore my CROCS to Disney. This was before the CROCS phase where everyone had to wear them! My feet were in heaven that day and never hurt once.

Since then, I have worn my ugly crocs on MOST days. I also have a pair of Ryka sneakers that work really well with my high arch and wide feet.. but unfortunately, RYKA is made only for women.

Has he tried crocs? Make sure you get the real ones and not the fake ones.

Catrin
All Star Sports 03
PORT ORLEANS JUNE 05! One on One Trip with Oldest Son
Polynesian - 40th Bday.... 9/06!
Wilderness Lodge - Nov 07
Pop Century - January '10 - One on One Trip with Middle Son
Port Orleans - August '11 - Three days with all three kids before our cruise!
Pop Century- February '13 - Girls Only Birthday Trip with Daughter!
Pop Century AGAIN - December '14 - Mom and Daughter Christmas Trip!
Catrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
dtum
DIS Veteran

PF sufferer here. After a recent trip to Washington and barely making it through the trip because the pain was so bad, I bought some Orthaheel shoes. What a difference! Wearing squishy shoes with PF is bad because of the pronation. Sounds strange because the arch in these is high and rather hard, but I have no pain. Just bought a pair of their flip flops for next trip because I can't stand wearing shoes/socks when it's 100 degrees. They also make orthotics to put in your shoes and they make their own sneakers. I get mine on Amazon and most places have free shipping. Go to Orthaheel website first to check sizing issues. i really wish they were avaiable where i could go and try them on.

Fort Wilderness Camping - October 1983 (me, DH, DD), June 1993 (me, DH, DD, DS & friends), June 1997 (me, DH, DD, DS), May 2008 (DH and me)
Fort Wilderness Cabins - May 2004 (me, DH, DD, DS, SIL and GS)
Fort Wilderness Camping - June 2009 (me, DH) AND ASMo (SIL, DD, GS, DS)
Windsor Hills (Romancing the Mouse) - June 2011 (me, DH,DD, SIL, GS, DS)
Emerald Island (Puff's Vacation Home-Tropical Retreat) - July 2013 (everyone!)
Windsor Hills - DH and I - November 2014
dtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
Zobie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolonLabe View Post
Some people can get away with inexpensive shoes and some cannot.

There was a great article on runners and their injuries being directly proportionate to how much they spent on shows. In that study, the more you spent, the more like the injuries were. Counterintuitive I know.

Anyway, Last trip I bought a new pair of new balance shoes (I don't recall the name, a mid line NB runner/cross trainer, about $75 before my discount) two weeks before the trip and broke them in.

It was so nice having fresh shoes.

Since then, I've developed some heel pain (planter fascitis) and now I wear Asics Gel Nimbus. The difference is amazing. So much more comfy. Down side, $139 on Amazon (about the cheapest place around, even with a discount locally).

I'll be buying a new pair of these before the trip and breaking them in. I want a spare pair of shoes in case one pair gets drenched.

Foot wear is so important, don't skimp. Inserts can do wonders too. That machine that tests your feet actually works. I'm pretty sure it's a money back guarantee on it, give it a try.
You mention a machine that tests your feet, was that at the New Balance store?

Don't plan to skimp on price at all, the shoes that work for me are actually riding paddock boots that retail for $399, luckily I can buy them at wholesale because I work at a "horse store".
Old 10-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #14
lroger01
DIS Veteran

I have arch problems too but like to wear a variety of shoes at Disney. I had good luck wearing arch bands. They are wide elastic bands that fit around the arch and give it extra support. I could wear them with sneakers, sandals, barefoot, whatever. I also wore them overnight to help with any morning issues. I got them at Walmart for about $10 each band. They last for about two week- long trips - less if you wear them in the pool .

Also be sure he spends plenty of time on his feet the month before the trip and maybe does some foot strengthening exercises. Walking through a week at Disney without doing any prep and expecting to be pain free just isn't going to happen for most desk workers. The arch is a major foot muscle - make it strong.

Remember forum newbies
When responding to first timers, please make an effort to spell out acronyms the first time you use them in a post. The newbies will thank you!
lroger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

New Balance fan here -- all terrain running/walking shoes. They have them in 4E sizes if you need them that wide.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: