Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #61
sandrakit
Mouseketeer

Who were your servers on the last cruise ?
sandrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #62
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrakit View Post
Who were your servers on the last cruise ?
Mateus and Malcolm on the Fanatasy.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #63
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
I'm a little confused. By paid room service items do you mean like alcohol? I have heard that regular room service items..cheese plates, coffee in the morning..have an auto tip added.. Can someone clarify on the room service tipping?
PAID room service items do have an auto-gratuity. These are bar items--sodas, alcohol, smoothies, etc. Normal, non-paid rooms service items (cheese plates, coffee, cereal, hamburgers) do NOT have a tip added. You are welcome to tip if you wish--it is one of those "up to you" issues. We usually tip a couple dollars.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #64
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

We tip extra if service is good because my daughter has tons of allergies and she requires extra service...dinner is always a big deal. So when service is good we go above and beyond with $$$ as well.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #65
zstyles
Mouseketeer

We just returned, we tipped our Concierge around 100.00 for the week..we also tipped our room host who did a very good job and was very friendly and helpful his full amount, we did reduce our servers, head waiter and assistants tipping amount by around 25.00 each as the dinner service was far from meeting our expectations...

Also on tipping of servers, the automatic 15% was left as is for some but more added for others (servers who brought us multiple drinks at once etc)..but for room service we didn't add more to the tab etc...15% is plenty when your comparing it to the average hotel etc..
Old 10-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #66
realityland
Mouseketeer

Location: Latitude 27° 5' 59.199" Longitude -82° 27' 15.3475" (Venice, Florida)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstyles View Post
as the dinner service was far from meeting our expectations...
I continue to see this comment/concern reflected again and again from recent cruisers. It personally brings me some concern as my first DCL cruise is coming up in a few weeks. I will, of course, go in with an open mind. Just not the kind of trend you would like to see. I wish I could say that it could be attributed to just difficult people who are impossible to appease. But as in your case, you generous complimented your room host and conceirge and tipped them very well. So this isn't about folks being unreasonable, it seems to me.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #67
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva View Post
PS - does anyone know if there is a way to send a thank you card to our servers? The biggest problem is we do not know their last names. But their first names are very unique.
Do you still have the stubs from your tips? Their full name is on those.
97HINB&RIUS99CSR00WL01HRPDTD02HINB&WL30AnV&A03DTDTD04BWDTD&AKLSunsetSafari05DTDTD&POR06DTDTD07ASMFS08Wonder&BC09November28Magic&DTDTD10BW11May29Dream1/12DTDTD&WL8/12Fantasy40An.Remy&DTDTDJoinedDVC4/13AKVCL,DCLDream,BLT11/13Fantasy Thanksgiving/AKLVKidani

Disneyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #68
eva
Often uses her unique ability to shut down threads.

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyholic View Post
Do you still have the stubs from your tips? Their full name is on those.
Nope. Hate to say it, I didn't even tear the stubs off. But if I did know their last name, how could I get a card to them?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #69
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We just returned, we tipped our Concierge around 100.00 for the week..we also tipped our room host who did a very good job and was very friendly and helpful his full amount, we did reduce our servers, head waiter and assistants tipping amount by around 25.00 each as the dinner service was far from meeting our expectations...

Also on tipping of servers, the automatic 15% was left as is for some but more added for others (servers who brought us multiple drinks at once etc)..but for room service we didn't add more to the tab etc...15% is plenty when your comparing it to the average hotel etc..
Did all of your room service items have a cost? We never ordered the items that were charged. Most items on the room service menu are free.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:30 AM   #70
zstyles
Mouseketeer

No not all, but we ordered room service from the restaurants in the morning(being concierge) and always had a latte or something else delivered which did cost...
Old 10-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #71
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No not all, but we ordered room service from the restaurants in the morning(being concierge) and always had a latte or something else delivered which did cost...
So you only tipped the 15% on your latte and not for the other items? I was just wondering what you meant by you only tipped the 15% on room service.

Last edited by sissy_ib; 10-23-2012 at 12:47 AM.
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #72
zstyles
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
So you only tipped the 15% on your latte and not for the other items? I was just wondering what you meant by you only tipped the 15% on room service.
It depended on what they brought..if it was some cookies and milk, no, if it was full cart they hauled it in the room, setup the table cloth, setup the glasses, silverwear etc, we tipped them.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #73
ItAllStrtdWAMouse
Fan for Life

If you have a cabana. Are you tipping the cabana host? Drinks ordered will have auto-gratuity, but do you tip extra and how?
Old 10-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #74
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Good for you! I think what you did by lowering the tips for service that was below expectations is not done enough. DCL has a smart system with autogratuities that allow them to analyze the data for their CMs. So, if you went to the trouble to lower a tip for below average service, I am sure that fact does not escape the CM's supervisor. That is the best way to improve service. We have had spectacular servers where we went out of our way to mention them in the cruise survey and we have had really mediocre at best servers. When your servers are not very good, it does take away from the cruise experience, no doubt. One thing I have decided for future cruises, is to have a low threshold to discuss any issues with the head waiter. We generally do not complain, but if there are problems, I would rather try to resolve them early in the cruise than sit and sulk for days.

DWF
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #75
TempusFugit
Are you a fan of delicious flavor?

I could not agree more about discussing issues with your head server or guest services as soon as possible. If done politely usually everyone will be better served.

Want to split a pineapple?
TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: