Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #31
Ptwolfman
Mouseketeer from CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner

Paid room service items absolutely DO have the 15% gratuity added if they are "bar" items (which all that I know of are.) Bar items include boxed candy, sodas, specialty coffees, bottled water, etc. as well as alcoholic beverages.
I stand corrected. On the DCL site I couldn't find anything that said candy, popcorn, or the like had the auto gratuity added. That was what I based my reply on. I must have overlooked that information
Ptwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #32
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSweetie View Post
Forgive my naiveté, but I am a first time Disney cruiser (only been in one Royal Caribbean cruise many years ago). I am traveling by myself with my 3-year-old son. We'll be joining a large family group. I called ahead to pay gratuities as suggested in my cruise docs and was told it was $84 a person. I've only paid for myself for now, but I am really struggling with the idea of shelling out another $84 for a 3 year old. I figure I'll add cash for him at the end of the cruise based on how it goes. What would be recommended? Maybe half that? It just seems so absurd to pay another $84 for him.
You should understand that your servers and room steward are basically not paid except through tips (room and board are included, but beyond that they receive a pittance--something on the order of $50/pay period).

The servers are assigned a certain number of diners (usu. 18), and children (even infants) are counted in that tally. Likewise, the stewards have a certain number of rooms. If you choose not to "tip", you're really choosing not to pay the hardworking servers and steward a portion of their salary.
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #33
klass3
Mouseketeer

Concierge Tip

The tip list includes the 3 servers from dinner and stateroom host. But I'm wondering about the Concierge Lounge Hosts? Is tipping them customary or "included" in the cost of the concierge stateroom? I've heard they are a most valuable service and want to be sure they're recognized. This will be my first cruise.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #34
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klass3 View Post
The tip list includes the 3 servers from dinner and stateroom host. But I'm wondering about the Concierge Lounge Hosts? Is tipping them customary or "included" in the cost of the concierge stateroom? I've heard they are a most valuable service and want to be sure they're recognized. This will be my first cruise.
A bit of history may be helpful. The concierge used to be a non-tipped position. The story is that so many people asked about tipping them that it was changed to a "you decide" position AND their base salary was cut on the assumption that many would tip. DCL is completely silent on this--they give no guidance on how much tip is appropriate or customary. My suggestion would be to base it on how much the concierge actually does for you.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #35
maggie blossom
Mouseketeer

We were on the Wonder last week. We wanted to tip extra to our wonderful server and asst server. I asked specifically at guest services if cast members would prefer cash or adding extra to their onbaord account since we could easily do either. Guest services person said it really was individual. Some cast members would prefer it go to their account since they don't carry much cash on them, others carry cash and would like to have the cash. So there was no way of knowing which our people would prefer.
What is important is that they would get it either way
maggie blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #36
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:

A bit of history may be helpful. The concierge used to be a non-tipped position. The story is that so many people asked about tipping them that it was changed to a "you decide" position AND their base salary was cut on the assumption that many would tip. DCL is completely silent on this--they give no guidance on how much tip is appropriate or customary. My suggestion would be to base it on how much the concierge actually does for you.
So concierge lounge hosts are different from your stateroom hosts? Do you get tip vouchers for them or just put money in an envelope at the end of the cruise?
Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #37
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
So concierge lounge hosts are different from your stateroom hosts? Do you get tip vouchers for them or just put money in an envelope at the end of the cruise?
The stateroom host is the person who cleans the room. The concierge is the person in the lounge who attends to almost your every desire.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #38
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The stateroom host is the person who cleans the room. The concierge is the person in the lounge who attends to almost your every desire.
I figured there had to be more tipping involved with staying at concierge level!
Old 09-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #39
SoCalSweetie
Earning My Ears

Thank You

WOW! I had no idea how tipping worked on cruises. Thank you for the info. I have a whole new perspective. I remember it being a mess at the end of our cruise 6 years ago and being confused by the whole thing. I get it now. I'll go ahead and finish pre-paying for my son too. Then I can put it on my card and know that I've done the right thing ahead of time = less stress to enjoy the cruise and the appropriate thank you to the people who will work so hard to earn it. I just wish we could tip the child care people like the rest. I KNOW I'll be grateful for them.
SoCalSweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #40
sandrakit
Mouseketeer

You will see once on board the ship how hard the staff works & you will feel good about tipping & you'll want to add a bit more cash to the envelope ! I also bring $1.00 bills with me to add to the drinks we order on deck . I know that 15% is added automatically but I like to give an extra $ 1:00 on my order ! If my service was poor I would only give the required amount but so far the Disney cruising staff are top notch & are well deserving of the required amount & more ....Happy Cruising
sandrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #41
pacurn
Mouseketeer

IMHO after 14 cruises with Disney

The four "pre-paid positions" always get the minimum then depending on service I will add more near the end of the cruise which I put on thier account.

KIDS: I have ALWAYS paid at least the full amount for my kids (3), the servers and stewards work harder for kids. As first time cruisers you don't realize that your children will recieve special attention, Their food will get there before yours, their toys sometime get the same treatment. I will never forget the day we returned to find the stuffed animals arranged playing a card game.

ROOM SERVICE: Get tipped in cash. Anyone who comes to my door with food I don't have to pay for when I am hungry, tired or in need of coffee deserves a few bucks.

PALO/REMY: Servers, get the same percentage of what I would have paid if I was buying a similar meal at home.

BAR: Usually the autotip, sometimes more in cash, the server last cruise who had to go to another bar to get my chocolate martini on the last night got more (and a mention on the card)

NON TIPPED POSITIONS (kids club, guest services) in the past we have given candy, gift cards for service that is above and beyond. Each kid was given a gift card to be given to the kids/Teen club CM they most appreciated. They also get a mention on the survey.

WILD CARD- Every once in while we find a bar tender, cruise staffer or some other CM that really makes our cruise special. This is more likely to happen on longer cruises. The bar tender gets cash. The other CM are ususally offered a bottle of local wine that we bring for this purpose (they will probably have to sign some paperwork so do this prior to the last night)

Finally, if someone is just over the top wonderful, the night of the Captains Gala, find out who their boss (or sometimes bosses boss) is, go up to that person and let them know, give examples. The effect is pretty much immediate.

These are just what we as a family do, your milage may vary. Disney service is what had us return to DCL after trying out some other lines. Enjoy your cruise.
pacurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #42
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Pacurn, I love your suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSweetie View Post
WOW! I had no idea how tipping worked on cruises. Thank you for the info. I have a whole new perspective. I remember it being a mess at the end of our cruise 6 years ago and being confused by the whole thing. I get it now. I'll go ahead and finish pre-paying for my son too. Then I can put it on my card and know that I've done the right thing ahead of time = less stress to enjoy the cruise and the appropriate thank you to the people who will work so hard to earn it. I just wish we could tip the child care people like the rest. I KNOW I'll be grateful for them.
Don't feel bad. I've only been on one other cruise, The Big Red Boat 14 years ago, and we had no idea how to tip either. It was very confusing. Luckily we did tip the suggested amounts. But we ate almost every meal as room service (didn't want to share tables) and never tipped room service. And normally we are big tippers at restaurants. We just didn't know.

So thank goodness for these boards! I have worked the tips into our budget. I've over budgeted the tips so that if I feel they worked hard, they will get the extra. Plus I've worked in extra for Palo and a huge wad of $1 bills for room service.

I think I will take some of Pacurn's suggestions too.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #43
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
NON TIPPED POSITIONS (kids club, guest services) in the past we have given candy, gift cards for service that is above and beyond. Each kid was given a gift card to be given to the kids/Teen club CM they most appreciated. They also get a mention on the survey.
What kind of gift card do you give? Do they get to keep it or does it get pooled?
Old 09-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #44
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
What kind of gift card do you give? Do they get to keep it or does it get pooled?
Any tips (candy, cash, gift cards) are put in the pool. Cash for funding the CM party, candy to share, and gift cards as door prizes to be awarded at the party.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #45
jjgarv
Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
...All "bar items" have the 15% added, regardless of where they are ordered. The pooled 15% bar tips are divided among all the bar staff workers. Each time you sign a ticket, it is coded as to who served you; if you add any additional to the ticket, the additional amount goes to the person who actually served you. The "bar staff" workers who divide the 15% include the bar servers and the bar tenders.

...As to tipping for children--absolutely yes, regardless of age. I can maybe see people who say a nursing infant doesn't use any dining services, but even there they do take a space at the table. And they certainly generate MORE work for the stateroom host. Little ones eating at the table generate a lot more mess and work for servers than most adults. Unless you have them removed from your account, the standard tips will be added for all persons regardless of age...
If I walk up to the bar to order my own drink, I rarely add to the 15% auto gratuity. However, if my bottom in planted in a lounge chair and a CM takes my order and brings my drink back to me, I usually add at least $1 or so.

We began bringing DD on cruises when she was 3 years old, and we always tipped at least the recommended for her. She was definitely more work for both the stateroom host and serving team, and I was incredibly grateful for all they did for her (and us!) to make our cruise so wonderful and relaxing!
Honeymoon 4/00 4 Day Magic and Wilderness Lodge; 3/02 7 Day Eastern Magic; 11/02 Beach Club Villas; 11/04 7 day Western Magic; 10/05 4 Day Wonder and 3 Day at Saratoga Springs; 9/06 7 Day Twice the Magic--2x Castaway Cay; 11/07 7 Day Eastern Magic; 9/08 7 Western Double Dip--2x Castaway Cay; 5/09 Villas at AKL; 10/09 7 Day Eastern Magic to St Croix; 4/10 7 Day Caribbean Princess for 10th Anniversary; 10/10 7 Day Western Magic; 10/11 7 Days B2B on the Dream; 10/12 7 Day Eastern Fantasy; 3/12 DVC Villas at Aulani; 10/13 7 Day Western Fantasy; 10/14 7 Day Western Fantasy to Jamaica
jjgarv is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: